IGNORED

Liam R?

Guest Bow_Legged_Chicken

Guest Bow_Legged_Chicken

Just read the Incider interview and its very interesting. I now find it hard to dislike the kid!

It seems as if he was being shut out by Danny Wilson and if a second division club was shutting you out while a premiership club are welcoming you with open arms its not really a hard choice which to go to.

Ok he may be exaggerating a bit and making himself sound all nice and perfect which he isn't but you have to understand Mr. Wilson has to take some blame for the way he left the club. I always got the feeling Danny had his boys he liked to play and he got the others he seems to shut out. I.E Clist, Hulbert, M. Brown well this doesn't do a lot for his case against that and if it is the case that Dnny was shutting him out and went to the press against Liams and Mr. Lansdowns wishes then Danny should be goven a firm talking to by Mr. Lansdown.

All managers have to support their players 100% dislike them or like them. Expecially youngsters and talented ones. If it does come out that Danny is shutting the likes of Clist out like he did Liam then he should be sorted out immediately because thats poor management and could disrupt the whole academy.

It looks to me that our manager and chairman got to get onto the same foot and agree what ambitions the club got and how they are going to get their cause it seems to me Danny's way of getting their is very different to Mr. Lansdowns and the differing of views could work out to be very expensive, money wise and progression wise.

Rosenior, in my eyes was always over-rated anyway. I still think he's a tit.
<br /> I can back that up without even reading the interview in full.

I can hardly see how he was shut out; he was a very young, inexperienced player with a level of potential (possibly not as high as he was given credit for).

When he did get his chances, he rarely* showed enough to suggest he should be in the starting XI IMO.

* - rarely as in not often (Mill Cup and couple of league games excluded).

I still say he thought he was better than us and still hope that is never proved to be the case!

LR was, is and probably always will be a prat who thought far more of himself and his ability than anyone else barring his agent and mum and dad. Danny Wilson is there to manage a football team, not keep spoilt brats happy and anyone who suggests he wouldn't play anyone because he didn't like them rather than they would not strengthen the team is an even bigger prat - imho.

I believe that had he played his cards right he could well have been the player to benefit most from Murray's departrure.

There is a void to fill and he could have been the player to fill it. Although he maintains that RB is his best position I think he has the necessary talent/skill to successfully convert to Murray's attacking position. After all Murray started at City as RB.

As I met and interviewed him, I thought perhaps you might be interested in my take on Liam.

It is very hard to know how much of the real Liam I saw. Regardless of how well we got on, ultimately it was an interview situation, albeit a very relaxed meeting in a bar, and Liam has clearly had some excellent media training (and rightly so). He is an intelligent and articulate lad, and his ability to express himself belies his years.

It was obvious to me that Liam knew precisely the points he wanted to get across through this interview, and he was damn sure he was going to say them, irrespective of the questions put to him. This isn't to be sneered at in any way, it's called 'preparation' and anyone who goes into an interview without the sort of training Liam has had (especially when discussing a sensitive topic such as this) would be asking for trouble.

Did he tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? I don't know, and only those closest to him ever will. But what he did do, was present an articulate and well thought out version of events that didn't fall apart when analysed. Again this is, in part, due to him being excellently prepared and briefed for our meeting but, as I said before, he would have been mad to take part in an interview without that.

Watch any interview with footballers or managers on The Premiership these days, and they are always well briefed, well rehearsed and rarely say anything that has not been preplanned (Kevin Keegan's "I'd love it...." being an honourable exception). Liam is no fool and was, I'm sure, well aware of the pitfalls of being interviewed and, as a consequence, made sure he was ready. Of course, part of that preparation included making sure his agent was with him at all times, just in case he needed bailing out but, again, I do not blame him for that one little bit.

On a personal level, Liam is a very pleasant, articulate and polite young lad. The interview took a long time to arrange and rearrange due to the hearing and the potential appeal which, ultimately, didn't materialise but, despite all that, never once did he try to get out of it. Far from it, his agent rang me on an almost weekly basis as we tried to get the interview together. Liam took time out to come and meet me and gave me as much time as I needed. Indeed, it was me who closed the interview, as he was happy to go on talking for hours and I had a train to catch!

Liam and I have kept in touch since the interview as, regardless of the rights and wrongs surrounding the issue of him leaving, we got on very well, and we will doubtless meet up again in future for a drink (orange juice and lemonade is his tipple. No wonder he wanted to leave City!).

I don't presume for a second that I got the whole truth, but never would I expect to in any interview, but what we did get was his version of events, and I think it was only fair that he got the chance to get that across.

Watch any interview with footballers or managers on The Premiership these days, and they are always well briefed, well rehearsed and rarely say anything that has not been preplanned (Kevin Keegan's "I'd love it...." being an honourable exception).

<br /> The Kevin Keegan outburst was an example of someone not being prepared, as it was straight after the game.

It's because of the hope of catching people off guard that the media grab them then and why the LMA would like to see the practice banned.

As for "Englands" point, I didn't see anything in the interview that sugested personal animosity between LR and DW. I think what upset LR was DW's insistence that trying to leave would affect his standing at the club, DW would see it as a test of his strength in front of the other players.

IMO he used the situation to say, "If you're not committed, you're not wanted." a brave line to take these days with freedom of contract.

Watch any interview with footballers or managers on The Premiership these days, and they are always well briefed, well rehearsed and rarely say anything that has not been preplanned (Kevin Keegan's "I'd love it...." being an honourable exception). Liam is no fool and was, I'm sure, well aware of the pitfalls of being interviewed and, as a consequence, made sure he was ready. Of course, part of that preparation included making sure his agent was with him at all times, just in case he needed bailing out but, again, I do not blame him for that one little bit.

I can wholeheartedly agree with this point. I spoke to Leon McKenzie after Peterborough's 2-1 victory at Bournemouth a couple of weeks back and the soundbites he had prepared were extraordinary!

An intelligent, articulate young man who knew what he had to say and said it excellently - "I'm committed to Peterborough but football is football and you never know what is around the corner etc. etc."

I think the whole country is becoming more media savvy with the influences of new technologies (I expect Court Rooms for example, will have TV Cameras inside them within 10 years) and this applies more so to footballers because of the money they earn and the interest they attract.

Liam is just another young product of the football machine - an excellent player (in my opinion one who could play in division 1 and possibly the Premiership) who made a choice.

Archived