IGNORED

Emad Meteb

internetjef

This transfer reminds me of the LT transfer last year. Knew a good week or so that LT was going to sign but they seemed to take ages to announce the deal. Looks as if the deal is pretty much a done one, suppose we are just waiting for the player to arrive for pics etc.

Similarities between Wales and Egypt are uncanny. I suspect the international clearance takes about the same!

Well Gary said recently he can play right or left back so doesn't seem to see him as a centre half.

I'd just say there's a difference between "can play" and "can play in the Championship". He plays centre half for the youth and reserve sides prodominantly AFAIK.

McAllister is a left back. He's supposed to be left footed. Does the same apply to Brad for being right footed? Never quite understood why left footed players are called one footed and right footed ones not. :unsure:

It's not because he's left footed, it's because he never, ever uses his right foot even when avoiding doing so means turning into trouble.

Guest Ahmed
A bit late but does anyone really know what kind of players he is? Size? weight? Got pace? Fox in the box? Can he make it himself or is he very much dependent of others?

Can't honestly believe the Egyptian league is of the same standard as the Championship.

For most Egyptian teams this is true, they are not equal. However, for the two Egyptian top teams - Ahly and Zamalek-, they are quite comparable to good championship teams such as Sheffield, Charlton and their likes. Players like Abo-Terika and Shikabala in both Ahly and Zamalek, can easily play in prem. league. However due to various reasons they don't. But Shikabala will definetly transfer to one of the top leagues in the world as he is young (22-23) and got high potential and talent.

As for Emad, in his first seasons he used to be a great finisher and goal scorer. Afterwards he gained pace and strength that allowed him to push on defenders and create chances for his team-mates to score. He is not a Drogba but he can play under pressure. :bruce_h4h:

For most Egyptian teams this is true, they are not equal. However, for the two Egyptian top teams - Ahly and Zamalek-, they are quite comparable to good championship teams such as Sheffield, Charlton and their likes. Players like Abo-Terika and Shikabala in both Ahly and Zamalek, can easily play in prem. league. However due to various reasons they don't. But Shikabala will definetly transfer to one of the top leagues in the world as he is young (22-23) and got high potential and talent.

As for Emad, in his first seasons he used to be a great finisher and goal scorer. Afterwards he gained pace and strength that allowed him to push on defenders and create chances for his team-mates to score. He is not a Drogba but he can play under pressure. :bruce_h4h:

Maybe we'll be back for Shikabala next season then...

Cant wait to see Emad in a City shirt!!

Guest parkender78

could the reason they don't play in the prem be that the egyptian clubs don't play fair in the transfer market?? Ahly have driven us all mad by draggin their feet over this deal. Emad will be a good signing for Bcfc ,just hope it happens sooooon!!! thanks for all the info Ahmed ,we do appreicate it

Guest Ahmed
could the reason they don't play in the prem be that the egyptian clubs don't play fair in the transfer market?? Ahly have driven us all mad by draggin their feet over this deal. Emad will be a good signing for Bcfc ,just hope it happens sooooon!!! thanks for all the info Ahmed ,we do appreicate it

First of all the Egyptian league is barely watched by anyone outside of the region. By the way, Shikabala was playing at Paok in Greece but then he had a problem and Zamalek literally "snatched" him from his team and by doing so, FIFA ruled about 1 mil. euros fine on Zamalek. In my opinion, the player is worth much more than that.

Second, the administrations of clubs in Egypt are known to lack professionalism, which is important and made European clubs reluctant to sign our players. I think this will change with time as more and more properly educated people rise and take over. I am not being dreamy, this is for real.

Sorry for the daunting post. Back to topic now and by the way, thanks alot guys, you are all very nice.

Back to topic now and by the way, thanks alot guys, you are all very nice.

Id like to thank you Ahmed, for all your insight and comments on Emad. From the point of view of someone who didnt know a thing about him until he was linked with us your posts have been very helpful and informative.

Williams isn't going to play in central midfield, he might play as the second striker but will be mainly wide right I think. Noble has the skill on the ball and LJ can pass and take set pieces but neither is enough of an all rounder for me. If GJ thought Noble and LJ were enough why'd he buy Carle in January? I reckon there's a good chance we'll see someone come in there mainly because GJ seems to want goals from that role and isn't getting them with any regularity now.

This is the biggest mystery in the whole Carle story for me. Is it possible that in January DN was on his way out but between then and now he has demonstrated the qualities required to be a part of a GJ squad? When did he sign his contract extension? I saw Carle's arrival as the last nail in the coffin of Noble's time at the club and didn't think there was a chance in hell that he would outstay Carle at the club.

The one reason we might not see a like-for-like replacement for Carle is that GJ isn't in the habit of having three senior players competing for one place in the starting lineup. He has said before that he wants every player at the club to feel they are a step away from the first eleven and that couldn't be true if we sign two new strikers and a Carle replacement.

Another thing; if their is any truth in the Ross Wallace link, are we paying more than £1 000 000 to use him as complement?

Signing a left sided player makes more sense to me than signing another central midfield player - especially if they can play both at left back and in midfield. McAllister and McIndoe did a fine job but the strength in depth to offer genuine competition and cover injuries/suspensions/loss of form is limited. The only thing I'm not sure about is if Wallace has played LB in a back four rather than as a wingback :dunno:

First of all the Egyptian league is barely watched by anyone outside of the region. By the way, Shikabala was playing at Paok in Greece but then he had a problem and Zamalek literally "snatched" him from his team and by doing so, FIFA ruled about 1 mil. euros fine on Zamalek. In my opinion, the player is worth much more than that.

Second, the administrations of clubs in Egypt are known to lack professionalism, which is important and made European clubs reluctant to sign our players. I think this will change with time as more and more properly educated people rise and take over. I am not being dreamy, this is for real.

Sorry for the daunting post. Back to topic now and by the way, thanks alot guys, you are all very nice.

I hope you stay with us Ahmed and watchin Emad's progress and keep us up to date with how the Egyptians are viewing his progress.

cannot get excited about this guy myself, seems a bit of a prima donna :noexpression: although choices available in this country are getting shorter by the day.

Slightly worried about GJ`s record with buying strikers but we`ll have to go with it I suppose.

cannot get excited about this guy myself, seems a bit of a prima donna :noexpression: although choices available in this country are getting shorter by the day.

Slightly worried about GJ`s record with buying strikers but we`ll have to go with it I suppose.

All good quality strikers are prima donnas. And as for GJ's record on strikers - I think it's been good, they've all come in, done the job that was asked of them and then been shown the door. No problem with that!

All good quality strikers are prima donnas. And as for GJ's record on strikers - I think it's been good, they've all come in, done the job that was asked of them and then been shown the door. No problem with that!

Yes I agree.

If GJ feels that this guy is worth £1.5m then he is probably DAMNED sure that he is worth the money.

To me, Mr GJ seems very frugal with splashing the cash in a big way, so unlike us, he would have had other opportunities other than youtube to scout this guys talents.

I know people will say the only time he has really splashed the cash was for Trunds, and look how that turned out - but "even" Trunds ended up playing a vital role in last seasons campaign and sure he will do again.

Perhaps your true identity will be revealed when/if EM eventually signs :tumbleweed:

Thats strange I was thinking exactly the same thing, You never know who you are really talking to on the internet do you.. :tumbleweed:

Yes I agree.

If GJ feels that this guy is worth £1.5m then he is probably DAMNED sure that he is worth the money.

To me, Mr GJ seems very frugal with splashing the cash in a big way, so unlike us, he would have had other opportunities other than youtube to scout this guys talents.

I know people will say the only time he has really splashed the cash was for Trunds, and look how that turned out - but "even" Trunds ended up playing a vital role in last seasons campaign and sure he will do again.

I think the point that someone made waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back in this thread, that there is some huge potential upside - either in the prem with us or through sale to a prem team - if our boy comes over and does the business is a good one. Emad is still relatively young and we've all witnessed the stupid money that is being paid for anyone who even vaguely stands out. £1.5M is a lot of money for a club of our size, but it gets counter-balanced by signings like GW.

Difference with someone like Trunds is his age - we bought him to do a sort of Phillips job rather than for his potential in 3-4 years - so, IMO we need some payback from Trunds this season otherwise it wont look like a good investment overall (accepting his valuable role in the play-offs).

Williams isn't going to play in central midfield, he might play as the second striker but will be mainly wide right I think. Noble has the skill on the ball and LJ can pass and take set pieces but neither is enough of an all rounder for me. If GJ thought Noble and LJ were enough why'd he buy Carle in January? I reckon there's a good chance we'll see someone come in there mainly because GJ seems to want goals from that role and isn't getting them with any regularity now.

I mean as Williams can play off the striker as well as right side, Noble has more opportunity to play centre which is i assume why GJ has him under contract. I can't believe GJ would've kept him on to do an entire season in his unnatural position. If we're signing 2 forwards that means having 4-5 on the books if Brooker's here which in my mind means 4-4-2 at least initially. Having more than 2 senior pros for each position is something we shouldn't be doing so in my opinion it makes far more sense to get rid of JMW and sign a player there.

As I understand it, Ribeiro is a centre half in the main who can play right back and I hope he'll get his chance in either position. People who watch the youth/reserve sides can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he has ever played left back with any regularity or success. I think McAllister is too one footed and doesn't overlap enough, competition will be good there. I'd like us to go for Lewington from MK Dons, always looked class to me.

Thought James Wilson was the centre half/right back for the youth.. Ribeiro is always mentioned as a full back as far as i'm aware. Hopefully he's just a good defender being played in a few positions to improve him.

Al-Ahli agree terms with Bristol City over Emad Meteb

don't know how true this is but you never know...

Thursday 10 July 2008 - 09:03:51 - Click to post or view

Emad Meteb's transfer from African giants Al-Ahli to Bristol City has been on and off for a while. The clubs agreed on a £1.5million fee, but disagreed over the payment method.

But now Meteb's agent Ahmed Rifai claims that Ahli have accepted to receive the transfer fee in instalments.

"Ahli have finally agreed on the installments method, Bristol will pay half the amount now and the rest in January 2009," Rifai told reporters.

"Emad shall fly to London as soon as he acquires the necessary visa."

Bristol boss Gary Johnson was become frustrated with the stalled negotiations for the striker and threatened to pull out of the deal, which forced Ahli into making a decision.

don't know how true this is but you never know...

Thursday 10 July 2008 - 09:03:51 - Click to post or view

Emad Meteb's transfer from African giants Al-Ahli to Bristol City has been on and off for a while. The clubs agreed on a £1.5million fee, but disagreed over the payment method.

But now Meteb's agent Ahmed Rifai claims that Ahli have accepted to receive the transfer fee in instalments.

"Ahli have finally agreed on the installments method, Bristol will pay half the amount now and the rest in January 2009," Rifai told reporters.

"Emad shall fly to London as soon as he acquires the necessary visa."

Bristol boss Gary Johnson was become frustrated with the stalled negotiations for the striker and threatened to pull out of the deal, which forced Ahli into making a decision.

Have you been on holiday? This "news" has been around for days.

Guest HambrookRed

Is it safe to say that Emad is in either Cairo, D'dorf or Berlin? If so I can confirm that as of this moment he has not applied for a visa....

Of course he may be some where totally different and this means nothing :D

Have you been on holiday? This "news" has been around for days.

no i have not been on holiday, i just thought that as this was released this morning at 09.03.51, i thought some people might like to see the link, this is the bit i was interested in ["Ahli have finally agreed on the installments method, Bristol will pay half the amount now and the rest in January 2009"] sorry if you thought that was not acceptable, but it seems that if you are not one of the clicky few on here you cant post anything without someone having a dig....how about you "going anywhere nice"

Right thats it! I've had enough.

I refuse to keep checking the OS and looking on here for news just to see nothing more than the same people posting nothing more than noise, it's sending me loopy!

I'm off in my tent for a month and hopefully by the time I return just prior to the start of the new season this mucker from aly baba would of either signed or the deal will be long dead. To be honest I don't really care anymore it has become so tiresome.

Roll on the 9th of August.

Guest HambrookRed
It was reported that he flew back to Cairo in order to get a visa as he couldn't get one in Germany. As a result, GJ has agreed to extend the deadline for him getting here to complete the deal.

I wouldn't have thought he'd have any problems at all getting a visa, just how long it takes and how long it takes him to get here - that may be an issue.

If he applies for a Visa in person it will take no more than 24 hours. He won't have a problem getting one I'm sure, but as yet he hasnt applied for one in any of the above mentioned locations.

If he applies for a Visa in person it will take no more than 24 hours. He won't have a problem getting one I'm sure, but as yet he hasnt applied for one in any of the above mentioned locations.

I am amazed by your consular oversight. How do you manage this?

Guest HambrookRed
I am amazed by your consular oversight. How do you manage this?

I have enquired with colleagues.

I'm not here to scream "source" at everyone, just thought I would share the information I had been provided with the masses.

Do you disagree with my comments?

I'm guessing you have access to visa applications so wondering if you have been using his full name, Emad Mohamed Abd El Naby Ibrahim.

Could check that? :fingerscrossed:

I have enquired with colleagues.

I'm not here to scream "source" at everyone, just thought I would share the information I had been provided with the masses.

Do you disagree with my comments?

How could I possibly disagree? I was just fascinated by your possible knowledge of visa access arrangements in several countries... which would have been much more interesting than asking a colleague. Sorry, not interested in any issue to do with identifying sources close to the club.

Guest HambrookRed
How could I possibly disagree? I was just fascinated by your possible knowledge of visa access arrangements in several countries... which would have been much more interesting than asking a colleague. Sorry, not interested in any issue to do with identifying sources close to the club.

Knowing me i'm probably way off the mark and he's already in Bristol signing contracts!!! I really hope I am wrong infact!!

Knowing me i'm probably way off the mark and he's already in Bristol signing contracts!!! I really hope I am wrong infact!!

I read an article yesterday, saying he had returned to Egypt, applied for a visa and expected to get it tomorrow (Today) in order to fly over immediately to take part in a medical. So I assumed he was flying over sometime today.

Guest HambrookRed
I read an article yesterday, saying he had returned to Egypt, applied for a visa and expected to get it tomorrow (Today) in order to fly over immediately to take part in a medical. So I assumed he was flying over sometime today.

Well that makes perfect sense, but at present I don't believe it has hapenned.... still early doors though....

Guest lou-peters-dive

Today? Tomorrow? Only Gary who is God can tell us. Be patient and you will be rewarded. :fingerscrossed:

Well that makes perfect sense, but at present I don't believe it has hapenned.... still early doors though....

Not disputing what you have said re: Emad's visa - but what time scale have you checked for - just yesterday? today or for the past week?

Guest HambrookRed
Not disputing what you have said re: Emad's visa - but what time scale have you checked for - just yesterday? today or for the past week?

Back to the early 90's.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow for two weeks so I'm out of it with no means of accessing the internet unless I stumble across an internet cafe somewhere.

Then again, maybe some news today.

I have manged to leave it three days on hols before stumbling across an internet cafe, convinced there would be news by now. Sadly not and this post is just more noise. Sorry. Maybe next time eh.

Can't see any news out there today!!! Just goodbye/good luck messages and Al-Ahli transfer rumors, I guess Meteb's replacements. It seems weird about this visa thing. Hambrook what type of visa would he require? still surprised he can walk into an Embassy and get a visa in 24-48 hrs, it takes months here, plus in most cases you need a Lawyer. Also the word visa has only come up in Arabic translations, could it mean something else!!! but what else would you goto the Embassy for so I'm sure it's a visa.

Can't see any news out there today!!! Just goodbye/good luck messages and Al-Ahli transfer rumors, I guess Meteb's replacements. It seems weird about this visa thing. Hambrook what type of visa would he require? still surprised he can walk into an Embassy and get a visa in 24-48 hrs, it takes months here, plus in most cases you need a Lawyer. Also the word visa has only come up in Arabic translations, could it mean something else!!! but what else would you goto the Embassy for so I'm sure it's a visa.

I guess everyone is different, but I have a friend who is Turkish, and was trying to get a visa to come to the uk for ages, he had a job lined up, and a house to live in, and had various meetings with their border control people in instanbul before he was allowed to leave the country. In theory, Egypt and Turkey are both Non EU, mainly islamic countries so there is a chance the same type of rules apply. I do understand though that the decision as to whether the visa was to be given was made immediately for him. I am sure that mateb would have to apply in the same kind of way, but with a formal contract offer from us on a pretty large salary, there shouldnt be much of a delay in the process. Can anyone speak arabic, so they can ring up the embassy and ask how long this will take?

Egyptian nationals require a visa just to enter the UK as a visitor. That's pretty much a formality.

The tricky bit is work permits - and more info is here if you're interested.

Basically he needs to have played 75% of the internationals for which he was available for selection over the last two years. Given that he has 47 caps I'm sure he's met that, it should just be paperwork. My only worry is that a delay leaves the window open for some other club to try an 11th hour snatch.

Guest HambrookRed

He wouldn't need a visa to work him immediately as he would just be coming accross for a short time to have a medical. He would be able to travel for up to 3 months on a basic visa and should he become a city player he would apply for a working permit. I assume that the agents/clubs/player pay an excess to rush such a visa through, although I'm no expert in that side of things :D

He wouldn't need a visa to work him immediately as he would just be coming accross for a short time to have a medical. He would be able to travel for up to 3 months on a basic visa and should he become a city player he would apply for a working permit. I assume that the agents/clubs/player pay an excess to rush such a visa through, although I'm no expert in that side of things :D

Thanks, that's exactly how I expected it to work and makes sense, the equivalent of a US "B Visa".

You can pay extra to rush through yes, but would think that would still take 30-90 days. So it would mean he cannot be paid by the club until the work permit is in hand.

Guest HambrookRed
Egyptian nationals require a visa just to enter the UK as a visitor. That's pretty much a formality.

The tricky bit is work permits - and more info is here if you're interested.

Basically he needs to have played 75% of the internationals for which he was available for selection over the last two years. Given that he has 47 caps I'm sure he's met that, it should just be paperwork. My only worry is that a delay leaves the window open for some other club to try an 11th hour snatch.

Agreed. Good summary Nibor.

He may come here on a visitors permit for an initial period of time which can generally be obtained within 24/48 hours if need be. The problem normally comes when trying to obtain a work permit, as if they followed the rules he would need to go back to Cairo to apply for a work permit before being allowed back into the country.

I have no idead if the FA or some other ruling body have some way of "speeding things up" somewhat.

That was the point I was trying to make ( badly ).

Guest HambrookRed
Thanks, that's exactly how I expected it to work and makes sense, the equivalent of a US "B Visa".

You can pay extra to rush through yes, but would think that would still take 30-90 days. So it would mean he cannot be paid by the club until the work permit is in hand.

if hes on £5k + a week for example, the sooner he starts paying tax the better. Plus he has a solid contract of work. Its not like a builder applying for a visa....

Like I said there must be comething that football clubs do to speed the process up....

It is my understanding from a source that the player has been on the training camp in germany but has had to return to Eygpt to secure his visitors visa so as to complete the medical its not as simple as going to the "local embassy" in the country you are currently visiting so the delay has been in him flying from Hamburg to Cairo and he should be landing in London today/tomorrow and should the medical and personal terms be agreed and passed or vice versa then he should become a BCFC player very shortly fingers crossed

My source BTW knew about nick carle sometime before it hit here or anywhere and was slated on another website forum about it so will only pass his info on to me now

Guest HambrookRed
It is my understanding from a source that the player has been on the training camp in germany but has had to return to Eygpt to secure his visitors visa so as to complete the medical its not as simple as going to the "local embassy" in the country you are currently visiting so the delay has been in him flying from Hamburg to Cairo and he should be landing in London today/tomorrow and should the medical and personal terms be agreed and passed or vice versa then he should become a BCFC player very shortly fingers crossed

My source BTW knew about nick carle sometime before it hit here or anywhere and was slated on another website forum about it so will only pass his info on to me now

This all makes sense, but I doubt very much that he will be travelling today, or even tomorrow, as it is 4:50pm in Cairo and,wether you choose to believe me or not, I do not believe his application for a visa has been recieved / processed.

again, hope I'm wrong.....

This all makes sense, but I doubt very much that he will be travelling today, or even tomorrow, as it is 4:50pm in Cairo and,wether you choose to believe me or not, I do not believe his application for a visa has been recieved / processed.

again, hope I'm wrong.....

That's very worrying, as Nibor says, things could change the longer this takes. Does he not have about twenty name variations though :noexpression:

Guest Ahmed

OFF-TOPIC

I will be applying for a UK student visitor visa soon. Does anyone know how long that might take? (I have all the papers required) On the website it says 3 days but I don't believe it.

Back on-topic

Do you agree if he put a release clause in his contract for the right sum of money?

OFF-TOPIC

I will be applying for a UK student visitor visa soon. Does anyone know how long that might take? (I have all the papers required) On the website it says 3 days but I don't believe it.

Are you coming to study at Bristol Uni ? If so we will see you down the gate. :innocent06:

Guest HambrookRed
That's very worrying, as Nibor says, things could change the longer this takes. Does he not have about twenty name variations though :noexpression:

Yes, but he only has one date of birth...

OFF-TOPIC

Don't know I'm afraid.

Back on-topic

Do you agree if he put a release clause in his contract for the right sum of money?

Yes I can see no harm in him putting a release clause in his contract.

England will/could be quite a culture shock for the lad, and if he would feel more comfortable signing for us knowing that there is a fee for which we would sell him for, then thats fine by me (cue barrage of insults/disagreement)

Standard practise these days I think but I would prefer it if the club negotiated that to be as high as possible (£6m+) and made sure that it wasn't active in the first two years of his contract unless we get relegated.

Guest mjc bcfc
Standard practise these days I think but I would prefer it if the club negotiated that to be as high as possible (£6m+) and made sure that it wasn't active in the first two years of his contract unless we get relegated.

i agree cause come january after he has already stuck 15 goals in :innocent06: , someone is bound to come knocking!

I'd inform your source that he is at least 24 hours out of date - or get a new one.

And that is supposed to mean what exactly ? i had a day off from work yesterday so only saw him today he knew of this days ago matey so check your facts before slating people on a "website"

And that is supposed to mean what exactly ? i had a day off from work yesterday so only saw him today he knew of this days ago matey so check your facts before slating people on a "website"

but his source is better than yours, a bit like my daddy is bigger than your daddy!

but his source is better than yours, a bit like my daddy is bigger than your daddy!

aint that the truth mate i used to post all time on here until the pedantic keyboard warriors pointed out stupid points about grammer and puctuation and also all this i am a bigger fan than you because i have a season ticket/go to all games/ bought 2 scarves / bought all the new shirts/ know someones dog that sh1ts on SL's garden/just because i say so crap that gets on my tits i have been a lifelong city fan had the good fortune to have had 2 full seasons as a ST holder about 13 years ago when young and affluent but since have had to pick and choose i happen to have 2 very good sources of information about the club and the inner workings though tend not to post on here due to responses not unlike the one we are discussing about said info that just gets slated by the Eamers and Cynics of this forum but to name a few

Yes, but he only has one date of birth...

Your on the ball, even more worrying. What's he doing, can see what GJ means in his atricle about sleeping at night, still, least he's not greek and start smashing those spinning plates.

My source is the official site and the media - same as 99% of people on here.

Those with club sources keep their gobs shut in the main.

so you read my reply to riaz's post then to the fact that i don't post here due to pedantic people and everyone calling for people to reveal sources of information

For purposes of not comprimising peoples position either in the media or within the club

I don't really understand what you're driving at so I would just reiterate what I've said on the subject;

There are lots of people on this forum who claim to have "sources" - most are of the bullshite variety and should expect to be challenged or questioned.

Those that do have personal contacts within the club mainly keep their gobs shut.

If you think that qualifies me as being pedantic, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

What i was Driving at was the fact that i do have a reliable source of info i would never reveal that sources capacity and also the reason i don't pass on the info i get is because people like you do claim other peoples info as Bullshite as you so eliquintly put it so i didnt read all 260,000 posts on this topic i as most on here also do usually read the current page and coincedently missed that it had been posted but for you to then hanbag me and tell me i need a better source then i personally take that as an abomination to my self. who gives a toss who knows what and to that end i will now again stop posting my info on here and keep it to my own personal knowledge. and to add who doesnt put how long they have supported city on thier profile unless they don't ?

Archived