IGNORED

Emad Meteb

internetjef

That classifies you as a big team, I mean 3 points difference and being the 4th, this is very good. Especially, that I know the second division is extremely competitive. Yet another reason to complete the deal, with a player like E-mad on the front, you secure yourselves alot of goals.

Thanks for your input on this forum by the way, it's appreciated.

Quick question though. Using your knowledge of the EPL, do you feel Emad could cut it at that level?

Edit: Also...

Which EPL player would you compare Emad to?

Have Al-Ahli ever played english opposition?

Guest Ahmed

I can't recall any encounters with English teams. However, Al-Ahly faced ALOT of European clubs, I'll list a few:

- Real Madrid

- Barcelona

- Paris-Saint German

- Benfica

- Bayern Leverkousen (Coming up very soon)

Moreover, playing at the Fifa Club World Cup earned us international experience.

I do think the lad can cut it. He will need an adaptation period at first (like any non-EU player). But he has a high international experience (starting eleven) which should not be taken lightly. Having an international player on squad is a good boost. Probably the second best striker in Egypt after Zaki who is on the verge of completing a one-year loan deal to Wigan for 1.5 mil or something.

I think I have a cynical view on this!

Yes, he is undoubtedly a fine player (sat and watched the Egypt v Malawi game with my eyes purely on him) but are the club thinking about the image of the player? His image in Africa, especially in Egypt appears to be massive! We could make some serious bucks!

I don't get all this 'SL should do this, SL should do that' stuff, we should not be held to ransom by anyone. I am sure the powers in the club are trying to sort a deal where both clubs are seen to save face and await any news with baited breath!

I must say, he looks the 'dogs nuts' though!

Remember when (not so long ago) signing Lee Peacock was exciting! We have come a long way very quickly!

I think I have a cynical view on this!

Yes, he is undoubtedly a fine player (sat and watched the Egypt v Malawi game with my eyes purely on him) but are the club thinking about the image of the player? His image in Africa, especially in Egypt appears to be massive! We could make some serious bucks!

I don't get all this 'SL should do this, SL should do that' stuff, we should not be held to ransom by anyone. I am sure the powers in the club are trying to sort a deal where both clubs are seen to save face and await any news with baited breath!

I must say, he looks the 'dogs nuts' though!

Remember when (not so long ago) signing Lee Peacock was exciting! We have come a long way very quickly!

Crikey, I never really remember Peacock ever being exciting but I do get your point!! Actually, I found Christian Roberts a lot more exciting.

In answer to our Egyptian friend Ahmed.. I disagree with an earlier City fan saying we are not a bigger club than Derby. This, 'who is bigger than the other' talk is frankly not worth diddly squat outside the top 10 teams in the prem. In short, we have the population, twice that of Derby by the way, and we have the support to go all the way to being a Boro or a Pompey + and certainly we have the latent potential to overtake teams like Fulham, Bolton, etc.

So Ahmed, tell your buddy to pack his bags and head down to cider country. Actually, best not mention Cider.. we need him to keep off that stuff, especially the scrumpy. :)

p.s. i suspect Ahly are waiting for all those despots to leave Sharm el Sheikh and then they will do the deal and get Meteb back on the front page. Mugabe... its all your fault. :tumbleweed:

Havanatopia, I appreciate some of your post was tongue in cheek but your 'big club' post is spot on! What makes a club 'big'? Does it mean anything?

We have potential which SL/GJ are finally realising wih the team and the New Gate! We can be a middle prem team with the catchment area and the new stadium.

Imagine City in the prem with a 35k capacity, the City of Bristol would fill it! This is the type of thing that GJ/SL will be using to sell any deal to a potential signing. Essentially, any player that signs a deal now should be there when the New Gate is opened. How good would that feel?

I don't think the deal is dead, but City, and El Ahly must be seen to 'save face'. I reckon it will be sealed and from what I saw, I reckon he might just be worth waiting for!

Guest oakley

With all the hype about signings, today is meant to be the day that Kevin Phillips is unvailed as our new striker. I've heard through many people that this is going to happen. Hope it can happen as he's a proven goal scorer at this level. Forget your Tysons and players from abroad who are unproven, we need instant success. What are your feelings on this????

With all the hype about signings, today is meant to be the day that Kevin Phillips is unvailed as our new striker. I've heard through many people that this is going to happen. Hope it can happen as he's a proven goal scorer at this level. Forget your Tysons and players from abroad who are unproven, we need instant success. What are your feelings on this????

Would be nice, but I don't think so

I'm sure if you follow the grapevine back far enough.....it will lead you to this forum

Guest cider mad

i'd love Phillips here but can't see it, really hope i'm wrong cause he's still class and the sort of player we could really do with

I wouldn't be too keen on signing a player of that age on a two year deal because I'd rather see us get a younger player who can form a partnership for a few years.

That said if we're going to go for an experienced head Phillips is definitely the one with the class.

Guest Dave Youell

I've said it many times already.

He's not too old, Aparently Windass is too old (he's 8 years older than Phillips) and it's because of him we are not playing in the prem next season.

Over the course of 2 seasons he will get more goals than Trundle and even with the increased wages, I doubt it will be most than the combination of Trunds wages and transfer fee (nothing against Lee, just putting it into perspective)

Yes he can't play every game, but the games he did play in gave a return of almost 1 goal in every 2, I'd bite your hand off for a player with those stats at City

He's now officially unemployed and unpaid.

I would think he would want to get his future sorted out asap - hours rather than days.

He'll probably stay put after the last couple of months of brinkmanship.

A few contradictions in your remarks here Cynic... first he's unemployed, then he needs to sort his future out in hours and then he'll probably stay put.. got my head spinning that lot. :tumbleweed:

I wouldn't be too keen on signing a player of that age on a two year deal because I'd rather see us get a younger player who can form a partnership for a few years.

Comments like this sometimes confuse me (I admit thats not hard), but surely age doesnt matter. I know what your saying about players who we could have form a partnership for 5/6 years etc....but if that partnership flourishes, they wont stick around long, not with the way football is now a days. Whether they are 16 or 46...if he scores us 15/18 goals next season....happy days! just look at Windass...as much he we may dislike him, he is living proof that not all OAPs are after just one final pay day

On top of that, people always say about the future, but the here and now is more important. Phillips was. and still would be, the BEST striker in that division next season, and what he could teach the younger players would be amazing for this club.

Tyson and Phillips for me would show real ambition.

Last season Lansdown was quoted as saying something along the lines of "we must sell out the important games if we want to prove we are an ambitious club"

We sold them out, Home and away.

We are an ambitious club, time to start acting like one

Guest cider mad
Comments like this sometimes confuse me (I admit thats not hard), but surely age doesnt matter. I know what your saying about players who we could have form a partnership for 5/6 years etc....but if that partnership flourishes, they wont stick around long, not with the way football is now a days. Whether they are 16 or 46...if he scores us 15/18 goals next season....happy days! just look at Windass...as much he we may dislike him, he is living proof that not all OAPs are after just one final pay day

On top of that, people always say about the future, but the here and now is more important. Phillips was. and still would be, the BEST striker in that division next season, and what he could teach the younger players would be amazing for this club.

Tyson and Phillips for me would show real ambition.

Last season Lansdown was quoted as saying something along the lines of "we must sell out the important games if we want to prove we are an ambitious club"

We sold them out, Home and away.

We are an ambitious club, time to start acting like one

Good post mate :clap: . I also think that Tyson and Phillips would be great and show a lot of amition

Havanatopia, I appreciate some of your post was tongue in cheek but your 'big club' post is spot on! What makes a club 'big'? Does it mean anything?

We have potential which SL/GJ are finally realising wih the team and the New Gate! We can be a middle prem team with the catchment area and the new stadium.

Imagine City in the prem with a 35k capacity, the City of Bristol would fill it! This is the type of thing that GJ/SL will be using to sell any deal to a potential signing. Essentially, any player that signs a deal now should be there when the New Gate is opened. How good would that feel?

I don't think the deal is dead, but City, and El Ahly must be seen to 'save face'. I reckon it will be sealed and from what I saw, I reckon he might just be worth waiting for!

Thanks. Saving face is exactly what I have been saying in an earlier post.

And all Carle has got to look forward to is running out onto an aged metal shed with 'Long Good Friday' blearing out of the PA system when he could have had the New Gate. :disapointed2se:

Comments like this sometimes confuse me (I admit thats not hard), but surely age doesnt matter. I know what your saying about players who we could have form a partnership for 5/6 years etc....but if that partnership flourishes, they wont stick around long, not with the way football is now a days.

Well, there's another element to it as well. Let's say we signed Kevin Phillips on a two year contract at twenty grand a week. That's going to cost over £2m in total. He could score 15-20 goals, sure, but with players in their mid thirties there's also an increased risk of injury and even the fittest probably can't play 46 games.

Now if you go abroad and buy a striker around the age of 23/24 for a million and pay them five grand a week on a three year deal, you're laying out less money, you've got less risk of injury, and if they are so successful that offers come in from Prem clubs you're getting five to six million to replace them with.

Because we can't currently compete financially with many clubs at this level I think it's important that we don't keep spending every summer just to maintain the strength of the squad and if you've got older players that's generally what you have to do.

I think that the reason we've not had many goals from strikers in the last couple of seasons is largely down to the frequency with which we chop and change them. I think they need confidence more than most and they perform best when settled into a partnership. When you sign someone in their mid thirties you're going to have to rest them fairly frequently and this is more disruption.

I'm not saying he isn't quality, I'd just prefer we found a younger player.

Gary was on Talksport this morning and amongst other things "volunteered" the information that he had been in Egypt watching a couple of players. Of course, the useless Alan Brazil failed to ask the obvious follow up question........??

But got me thinking as to why Gary would pave the way for them to ask about Meteb, unless he was prepared to talk about it and maybe give a hint?

Bloody useless Talksport presenters!!

Well, there's another element to it as well. Let's say we signed Kevin Phillips on a two year contract at twenty grand a week. That's going to cost over £2m in total. He could score 15-20 goals, sure, but with players in their mid thirties there's also an increased risk of injury and even the fittest probably can't play 46 games.

Now if you go abroad and buy a striker around the age of 23/24 for a million and pay them five grand a week on a three year deal, you're laying out less money, you've got less risk of injury, and if they are so successful that offers come in from Prem clubs you're getting five to six million to replace them with.

Because we can't currently compete financially with many clubs at this level I think it's important that we don't keep spending every summer just to maintain the strength of the squad and if you've got older players that's generally what you have to do.

I think that the reason we've not had many goals from strikers in the last couple of seasons is largely down to the frequency with which we chop and change them. I think they need confidence more than most and they perform best when settled into a partnership. When you sign someone in their mid thirties you're going to have to rest them fairly frequently and this is more disruption.

Good post and some good points raised, but the flip side is that we sing him on a two year contract, 20k a week at 2 million. Lets say he scores 15 goals in each season, so 30 goals in total, and in the secound season we win promotion to the Premier League. Thats 50 million, I would say thats worth the risk of the 2 million outlay.

Good post and some good points raised, but the flip side is that we sing him on a two year contract, 20k a week at 2 million. Lets say he scores 15 goals in each season, so 30 goals in total, and in the secound season we win promotion to the Premier League. Thats 50 million, I would say thats worth the risk of the 2 million outlay.

Yep, and if I knew that signing him would get us promoted in two years I'd quite happily advocate paying him fifty grand a week!

Interesting points. Reading an interview with Alex Ferguson today he made the point that it is harder to sign established players than people think (even for him) so he prefers to go for younger players (hence Ronaldo, Rooney, Nani, Anderson etc.). Wenger does this even more so of course. As to money I would have thought it was sensible to follow the so-called golden rule, i.e. borrow to pay for capital expenditure (transfer fees, ground developments etc.) not to pay your running costs (wages, utilities etc.). There is no such thing as a free transfer therefore and as you point out Phillips would actually cost up to £2m. Steve is clear (and right in my opinion) that he wants the club to pay its own way. Would he therefore be prepared to borrow to pay someone's wages?

I know this is an old chestnut, but I know someone with very close contacts* A deal has been agreed with the club, but I'm not certain that terms have been agreed with the player (I'm assuming they have been).

* I think it may be the same source as Smithy69 - and is VERY reliable.

Guest spot_kick_eddie
Can't see it happening! Would be nice though!

You come from Kingswood and now live in Swansea and call yourself a City fan!?!

You should be ashamed, you aren't a proper supporter and never will be!!

So can the club not afford a one off payment of 2 million? If we can then why couldnt we just put that money aside and pay Phillips with that. If we cant then theres no point risking the future of the club on him, we have to find someone else.

We've been making seven figure losses annually despite significant transfer income in recent years and even though we earned anywhere from one to two million from the playoffs last season we will probably still post a 7 figure loss due to transfers. Re-investment from SteveL, Keith Dawe and the other shareholders funds this.

It's not so much that we can't afford to do that (because after all SteveL has shown his willingness to invest) but I'd be inclined to try and make any large outlay as low risk as possible and I think a younger player does that because of the lower chance of injury and potential for a big fee if he moves.

So can the club not afford a one off payment of 2 million? If we can then why couldnt we just put that money aside and pay Phillips with that. If we cant then theres no point risking the future of the club on him, we have to find someone else.

I'm no accountant but there are I believe distinctions between capital and current expenditure. You cannot classify one as another in your accounts as I understand it (i.e. not very well!). My understanding is that a transfer fee would be classed as capital as you are acquiring an asset (same as if you bought property). Wages could not be classified in the same way. If the club were to pay a one-off transfer fee of £2m I imagine that would be funded from borrowing (unless we have spare capital reserves of which I am not aware). But as I say I am no expert and there are people on here better qualified to answer your question.

Guest marlowred

Good post mate :clap: . I also think that Tyson and Phillips would be great and show a lot of amition

[/quote

I heard he's going back to Watford

Isnt Steve Brooker only slightly older than this? Injuries can happen at any age.

No hope for me then as I'm from Fishponds originally and now live in Peterborough, so I'd better get my coat and nip down to London Road to buy my Posh season ticket and replica shirt.

Phillips would be a great addition to our ranks on a two-year deal but I doubt we're even in for him let alone talking to him.

We seem to have put all our eggs in one basket striker wise (again) with this Meteb and Tyson.

Phillips would be a great addition to our ranks on a two-year deal but I doubt we're even in for him let alone talking to him.

We seem to have put all our eggs in one basket striker wise (again) with this Meteb and Tyson.

How do you know that? It 's our policy not to divulge information regarding transfers, we could have many irons in the fire for all you know!

It's all speculation until the OS says so!

How do you know that? It 's our policy not to divulge information regarding transfers, we could have many irons in the fire for all you know!

It's all speculation until the OS says so!

Yes, of course. :noexpression:

no hope for me either! born in bristol but live in gloucester.

i'd better cancel my season ticket now an give it to someone

who lives within the proper 'boundary'!!

no hope for me either! born in bristol but live in gloucester.

i'd better cancel my season ticket now an give it to someone

who lives within the proper 'boundary'!!

Born in Bristol, holed up in Belfast.....I'm ######ed!! No may I'm getting a ST for Linfield, rather spend that money on a night out at McDonald's!! :innocent06:

I'm no accountant but there are I believe distinctions between capital and current expenditure. You cannot classify one as another in your accounts as I understand it (i.e. not very well!). My understanding is that a transfer fee would be classed as capital as you are acquiring an asset (same as if you bought property). Wages could not be classified in the same way. If the club were to pay a one-off transfer fee of £2m I imagine that would be funded from borrowing (unless we have spare capital reserves of which I am not aware). But as I say I am no expert and there are people on here better qualified to answer your question.

You can captialise the original costs but then you would have to depreciate the asset over the course of the contract which would be classed as an expense similar to wages. The difference is that the money is paid up front and depreciation is not an actual loss of money but just an accurate reflection of the apportionment of the costs of buying an asset. Therefore both would look the same in a set of accounts.

:disapointed2se: mad or funny not sure which.

Guest spot_kick_eddie
No hope for me then as I'm from Fishponds originally and now live in Peterborough, so I'd better get my coat and nip down to London Road to buy my Posh season ticket and replica shirt.

You should be Rovers and Posh

Guest Tim K

Born in Horfield and living in SE London. Sigh. Off to Palarse with NC for me then.

Fat Chance.

Guest Danzinio

Born and bread in Headley Park! Now living in Halesowen, cant believe i gotta now support WBA or Wolves, may even go for Kiddi Harriers!

Guest wilksy

Says the gas head that moved to Bedminster!!! :disapointed2se:

You should be Rovers and Posh

Posh Rovers, surely not?

I think you have obviously copied this idea from research carried out in Belfast University a year or two back. They looked at using geographic guidelines to determine which particular club a football fan should be supporting, and their findings showed that where a fan lived made a huge differnce to the loyalty he showed a club, and they called this measure the fans Maximum Adherence Denominator. I think you must live very close to Ashton Gate as I suspect your's is pretty high!

There was one good bit of spin off from the reasearch. They discovered that if geographic location was used to determine which club fans should support, 90% of Man U's supporters would in fact be supporting one of the 30 clubs they have to drive past on the way to Old Trafford!

You can captialise the original costs but then you would have to depreciate the asset over the course of the contract which would be classed as an expense similar to wages. The difference is that the money is paid up front and depreciation is not an actual loss of money but just an accurate reflection of the apportionment of the costs of buying an asset. Therefore both would look the same in a set of accounts.

Thanks. I can appreciate that depreciation (so to speak) would be charged as an expense but presumably you would not pay someone's wages for the length of his contract up front in a lump sum and get away with it? Football seems unusual as your assets (players) could in fact appreciate in value (though not Phillips as he is too old). Anyway all a bit academic in more ways than one.

Thanks. I can appreciate that depreciation (so to speak) would be charged as an expense but presumably you would not pay someone's wages for the length of his contract up front in a lump sum and get away with it? Football seems unusual as your assets (players) could in fact appreciate in value (though not Phillips as he is too old). Anyway all a bit academic in more ways than one.

Here's an extract from the accounts:

"Transfer fees payable are capitalised in the year in which the player is bought and amortised over the initial contract life. Transfer fees conditional on player and/or team performance related measures are capitalised as and when they crystallise and are amortised over the remaining contract life.

Where a contract is re-negotiated prior to the expiry of it's original term, the net book value at the time is amortised over the remaining revised contract life."

I *think* this means that transfer fees paid don't show immediately in the profit/loss account because you're getting an asset worth the same amount.

Wages are just accounted as regular expenditure as far as I can see.

I am definitely not an accountant though!

I *think* this means that transfer fees paid don't show immediately in the profit/loss account because you're getting an asset worth the same amount.

Wages are just accounted as regular expenditure as far as I can see.

I am definitely not an accountant though!

That's essentially what I was getting at you see the expense of a transfer fee shared equally over the contract and not up front so it would look like wages which are also showed as an expense over the period of the contract.

I know this is an old chestnut, but I know someone with very close contacts* A deal has been agreed with the club, but I'm not certain that terms have been agreed with the player (I'm assuming they have been).

* I think it may be the same source as Smithy69 - and is VERY reliable.

I assume that this means we have agreed to pay all the fee up front? Filgoal.com stated that personal terms we're agreed. When is this supose to be announced then?

Thanks Nibor and KTF. I bow to your superior knowledge and I get the point about the fee being spread across the length of the contract etc.. Still can't see, as suggested earlier, that Steve would borrow to pay a player's wages as opposed to borrowing to pay a fee. Once you have to borrow to pay the bills as opposed to buying assets you are on shaky ground I would think. I might buy a mobile phone on my credit card but not my groceries!l

The info on that site always seems to be spot on but be careful - I had a bit of spyware downloaded onto my laptop from there which my anti-virus sw picked up each time I accessed the site.

If the club has managed to actually get this transfer completed, I'll be amazed - but I'll only believe it when I see Meteb in Bristol and in a City shirt at Ashton Gate saying the usual new arrival stuff.

I'm with you will believe it when I see it. I still think this would be a very good signing on the pitch as well as off it!

I assume that this means we have agreed to pay all the fee up front? Filgoal.com stated that personal terms we're agreed. When is this supose to be announced then?

When ink is actualy on paper I would expect

Please let this be so.......he will make a BIG difference to our season next year - without a doubt

Quotes i have read about Meteb say that Al-Ahly want all the money up front to try and sign someone else to replace him

Quotes from Forrest say Agogo's deal to Zamalek has fallen through, and that they have a few offers from the middle east, he wont return to forrest, and will conclude a deal later this week.

Al-Ahly are prob the biggest club in middle east

Are Al-Ahly trying to get the cash up front from us so they can secure the signature of Agogo from forrest??

Just a thought, are we in a international football property chain??

i reckon there sould be something in that.

Ahmed, Yessir, Meteb Admin?? what do you reckon

Thanks Nibor and KTF. I bow to your superior knowledge and I get the point about the fee being spread across the length of the contract etc.. Still can't see, as suggested earlier, that Steve would borrow to pay a player's wages as opposed to borrowing to pay a fee. Once you have to borrow to pay the bills as opposed to buying assets you are on shaky ground I would think. I might buy a mobile phone on my credit card but not my groceries!l

One of the things SteveL said last season was that they needed a 15k gate to cover the wage bill. He seemed to be viewing spending on transfer fees as you suggest - capital investment - and considering it separately, so I think you're right.

Guest bcfctimes
(appraently Agogo is hot sh*t in africa since african nations)

whatdya reckon?

Everything is hot in Africa at this time of year.

Guest spot_kick_eddie
Says the gas head that moved to Bedminster!!! :disapointed2se:

I'm looking to take you down from the inside

Guest Ahmed

Agogo isn't equal to Meteb, trust me on that. However, it didn't cross my mind that HE could be a replacement for Meteb, what an idea. Al-Ahly needs this sort of player because African soccer is very physical.

Guest Cobby the red

Ahmed is this going to happen this week or not???

CALLING YESSIR ARE YOU BACK IN THE UK GIVE US A SIGN :fingerscrossed:

Archived