IGNORED

Emad Meteb

internetjef

i wasnt suggesting that Agogo is the same quality as Meteb.

although granted i don't know muchh about Meteb, if we are going to pay 1.5m i should bloomin well hope he is much better than Agogo

i just meant that if they are looking to sign a striker to replace him when he goes, Agogo would be an available option who has already declared he is happy to go and play in the middle east.

Plus i get the feeling that Agogo has a better reputation over there than he does over here and he could even be seen as quite a coup for Al-Ahly

First post here, i have been told that phillips will be done and dusted over the next couple of days along with motaeb. I would quite happily have £100 with someone as well but not sure how we would get around some insider betting!!!

First post here, i have been told that phillips will be done and dusted over the next couple of days along with motaeb. I would quite happily have £100 with someone as well but not sure how we would get around some insider betting!!!

wow your first post and willing to put your money up, you must be confident for some easy money, would be surprised if this is true, but :fingerscrossed:

:fastasleep: Yawn!

Hope your right mate, but if you check the other Phillips thread we we're told it was definatly today! Like i said fingers crossed but please excuse me for not getting to excited.

This guy kept Mohamed Zidan out of Egypts African nation team didn't he? And Zidan is purported to be the best prospect in Africa costing Hamburg 3.5 million. Played up front with Amyr Zaki who is supposed to be Wigan bound. Al Ahly may be the most famous Arab club but they are no way near the richest ...take your pick from Saudi, Qatar and UAE who pay top dollar for past it stars.

Moteab is technically class and would score for fun in the Champ, two feet and can head. I think Carle was sold to finance this.

I have it from an impeccable source that the deal will be done........

unless it isn't. He's never wrong, he even correctly tells me that the toss of a coin will be heads (or tails) and he's not been wrong yet!!!

When does the season start? I'm bored.

I have it from an impeccable source that the deal will be done........

unless it isn't. He's never wrong, he even correctly tells me that the toss of a coin will be heads (or tails) and he's not been wrong yet!!!

When does the season start? I'm bored.

I'm now starting to worry about work permit and international clearance.

I'm working my way through Al Ahly's forum trying to find out more things about the deal/rumours from Eygpt.

Guest richie1

would love to think we would get him proven scorer but in all honesty I BELIVE we will not get him BUT i also BELIVE THAT I HOPE I AM WRONG but as the saying goes time will tell

I am half arab (but born in bristol!)and in the arab world the national stereotype of Egyptians is that they are 'tricky' ie You agree a fee and think the deal is done and they want a tad more! I stress its a sterotype but...also Egyptians notoriously are homebodies and do not travel well. Aside from Ramzy at Kaiserslauten for years and Mido who at the age of 25 has played in has played in 7 countries for Zamalek, Gent, Ajax, Marseille, Celta Vigo, Roma. Spurs and Boro'.

I am half arab (but born in bristol!)and in the arab world the national stereotype of Egyptians is that they are 'tricky' ie You agree a fee and think the deal is done and they want a tad more! I stress its a sterotype but...also Egyptians notoriously are homebodies and do not travel well. Aside from Ramzy at Kaiserslauten for years and Mido who at the age of 25 has played in has played in 7 countries for Zamalek, Gent, Ajax, Marseille, Celta Vigo, Roma. Spurs and Boro'.

Aside from the waiting for news this is what bothers me most about this possible move. From Meteb's point of view it would be a big change of culture and a long way from home. We know how long it can take for new signings to settle in, even relatively local ones.

I do wonder if this is part of the delay as Meteb himself thinks it all through. But purely on the football question, I get the feeling he could be a gem for us.

Perhaps this is exactly why there is a delay. He has to get used to... weetabix, marmite, corra, fish and chips, driving on the left [they must have some new road system set up for him in a big park], saying sorry all the time, filling out a tax return, learning about health and safety in every aspect of life from not brushing your teeth too close to a railway line or your child not being allowed to swim in the sea when accompanied by a school teacher even though you are on a beach, or learning to drive in the middle lane or even the outside lane on a motorway when the inside lane is perfectly clear and free. this last one does take some getting used to I freely admit and i think it is this one that is holding up his move.. he probably cannot quite grasp how numbskullish one needs to be to do such a thing.

he is learning about all of these things as a new country and culture awaits. time will tell if Gary gets fed up with the wait.

• Admin

Ironic then that the name of their country led to the modern word "gypsy".

Aside from the waiting for news this is what bothers me most about this possible move. From Meteb's point of view it would be a big change of culture and a long way from home. We know how long it can take for new signings to settle in, even relatively local ones.

I do wonder if this is part of the delay as Meteb himself thinks it all through. But purely on the football question, I get the feeling he could be a gem for us.

I agree with what you're saying.

And if - and it's a big if as everyone keeps saying - he signs, and if - and it's another big if - he settles, then I really think he'll be a great player for us.

I know that forming an opinion of a player based on youtube tributes is a dangerous game, but you can't help but be impressed by what you see. The plaudits that he has won from those people who have posted on here and know his game are also very encouraging, and his record (along with his list of honours) does sound impressive.

I was speaking to an egyptian today who speculated that Met3b would be signing for a premier league club in the near future, but I soon cast doubt on his football knowledge when he said he hadn't heard of Bristol City. He also said Met3b was a hit with the ladies, which was an interesting comment. He certainly sounds like a popular figure in his homeland, check out his facebook groups, one even has over a 1,000 members.

I've got a good feeling about this lad.

Just been looking around some forums of Meteb (still can't believe how huge this guy is) and something has happened since Friday, the vibe I get is that Meteb has gone to Germany to train with the team and something about another club coming in with offers, a big club.

The most interesting thing is below, it looks like from a news release with other bits about International Trade Law, we could do with an update from our Egyptian friend with some real translation.

He added: in case the transmission of the club who are currently negotiating with him, it will head to England on July 12 next to undergo medical detection Club in Bristol, pointing out that officials of Bristol fully understand the position player, especially as these positions are often repeated in the professional world, is very ordinary .

Ok, I will take the bet.

My £100 says Kevin Phillips will not be a Bristol City player on or before August 9th 2008.

Let me know if you accept.

Guest Garfunkle

i have never posted a rumour on here and in the risk of being cast in the same light as Brizzlered i am going to do it.

this came from the same 'source' that text me on the friday that carle was leaving for palace (before any mention of it on here) and i didnt post it as it was the first info hed given me since adebola signed.

anyway he has informed me that the egyptian deal is done and will be announced this week or early next and that a deal for Phillips involving a big signing on fee and £12k per week wages is very close to being agreed.

feel free to shoot me down in flames and if i am wrong about both of these i am happy to remove myself from this forum - after taking the stick from you first i might add

Ok, I will take the bet.

My £100 says Kevin Phillips will not be a Bristol City player on or before August 9th 2008.

Edson, how's it going?

I would think it may go quiet on the betting front, however, if not; adds some spice.

BTW, can you do me a favour in your mod capacity? Can you copy your signature piccie in to the signature of the poster immediately your quoted post. It may help him BELIVE.

FLAME ON!

Only joking - hope the rumour comes to fruition. But, don't take yourself of the forum if it doesn't, we need the percentage of d!cks on here to drop; your leaving won't help in that respect :rolleyes:

Guest b2x1y
Kevin Phillips will NOT sign for Bristol City....

How are you so certain - he is just as likely to sign for us than any other team.

i have never posted a rumour on here and in the risk of being cast in the same light as Brizzlered i am going to do it.

this came from the same 'source' that text me on the friday that carle was leaving for palace (before any mention of it on here) and i didnt post it as it was the first info hed given me since adebola signed.

anyway he has informed me that the egyptian deal is done and will be announced this week or early next and that a deal for Phillips involving a big signing on fee and £12k per week wages is very close to being agreed.

feel free to shoot me down in flames and if i am wrong about both of these i am happy to remove myself from this forum - after taking the stick from you first i might add

If we did sign those two, then i'd be foooooooking delighted and as high as a kite, but i don't beleive the phillips one for a second, sorry.

Guest Garfunkle
If we did sign those two, then i'd be foooooooking delighted and as high as a kite, but i don't beleive the phillips one for a second, sorry.

as said before, i am not 100% sure if these are true but he has told me 2 'rumours' before in adebola and carle. both were very unlikely transfers ie not your marcus stewart signing etc and both have been right, therefore i trust him

as said before, i am not 100% sure if these are true but he has told me 2 'rumours' before in adebola and carle. both were very unlikely transfers ie not your marcus stewart signing etc and both have been right, therefore i trust him

God I hope you're right Garfunkle!

Will believe Phillips when I see it, but I think the amount of time and effort put into Met3b means that GJ & SL won't give up without seeing this through.

For the first time this summer I feel more than a little excited about football again!

going to mail my Baggies mate to see if there's any truth in KP - I'll be back later!

I don't think for one minute your making it up, but I wont get too excited until both are hopefully signed and sealed, at ashton gate with Bristol City shirts on.....

Super Kevin Phillips would be a great coup, if we pull it off.

I think you will find Phillips is not one of the 2 strikers we have made a bid on as it says we are talking to the players clubs. However Phillips is a free agent so we wont have to talk to WBA. So I can't see him being a City player.

Would love to be wrong but just cant see this transfer happening.

As much as i'd like a fully fit KP at the Gate I think the 2 strikers that GJ is hunting is Metab and Tyson. However, if they can't get these 2 then they might go in for him......by then though he would already have been snapped up.

Don't know where people get their info from... Kevin Pietersen to AG surely not - is he left or roght footed?

Ok, I will take the bet.

I'll take the bet as well.

My £100 says Steve Phillips will not be a Bristol City player on or before...blah blah

Guest Danzinio

when are these ment to be going through??

This week??

Cause i don't think i can take any more of this!

i'm getting NO work done!

Please tell me its going to be soon!!

Guest Danzinio

opened my wallet this morning and sand came out and Spelt EMAD!!! well thats not technically true but sand did come out! and what is egypt famous for............ thats right pyramids but then sand! so i think that might be a sign!!!!!

:pray::fingerscrossed:

Looks like the Zaki move to Wigan could be off.

Sir Alex Ferguson may have picked up an idea of how to end his Cristiano Ronaldo saga, after Wigan’s attempts to sign Amr Zaki collapsed because he was threatened by his chairman’s bodyguards.

Steve Bruce looked set to take Egyptian star Zaki to The JJB Stadium on a 12-month loan for an initial fee of £1.5 million.

That fee would then have given The Latics first option on a permanent move, and Bruce appeared hugely confident on the transfer just a week ago.

However, Zaki’s switch now appears to be off after the chairman of current club Zamalek brought in his heavies.

“He told me I could not leave,” Zaki explained in The Sun.

“He got angry and swore. Things got worse when his bodyguards were about to beat me up.”

Source

Phillips would be a great addition to our ranks on a two-year deal but I doubt we're even in for him let alone talking to him.

We seem to have put all our eggs in one basket striker wise (again) with this Meteb and Tyson.

Spot on.

Guest Tim K
Don't know where people get their info from... Kevin Pietersen to AG surely not - is he left or roght footed?

He's a bit of a switch kicker.

Guest walshy-shuffle-carl-shutt

I cant see it somehow just the thought of city paying someone 12k week doesnt sound very likely now does it.

The other fella what ever his name is that deal will not be done until its signed and the guy is here them Egyptian's have just scuppered a similar deal for the latics.

Guest DanC
I cant see it somehow just the thought of city paying someone 12k week doesnt sound very likely now does it.

The other fella what ever his name is that deal will not be done until its signed and the guy is here them Egyptian's have just scuppered a similar deal for the latics.

Trundle is rumoured to be on around 10k a week so 12k may not sound so unreasonable if that's the case. If we can't get goals from Phillips, Adebola, Trundle and Metab then we never will.

Meteb is in Bristol for a medical in the next 48 hours I have just found out..... looks like the deal will be going through as long as he passes that and personal terms can be agreed.

As for the Phillips deal, this only had a 20% chance of happening.

Meteb is in Bristol for a medical in the next 48 hours I have just found out..... looks like the deal will be going through as long as he passes that and personal terms can be agreed.

As for the Phillips deal, this only had a 20% chance of happening.

'had' you are talking past tense. :source:

'had' you are talking past tense. :source:

My bad - sorry - wife talking to me at the same time as typing.... I meant to say....

The Phillips deal only HAS a 20% chance of happening. Basically, its true that City have offered him something serious that is a good offer but there are four serious offers on the table for him from other clubs too - so basic maths says that its a 20% chance!!! Although how strong our chance is against the other four clubs is unknown - ball is basically in Phillips court based on greed/preference of where he wants to live/which league he wants to play in and several other factors I'm sure are in his mind.

My bad - sorry - wife talking to me at the same time as typing.... I meant to say....

The Phillips deal only HAS a 20% chance of happening. Basically, its true that City have offered him something serious that is a good offer but there are five other serious offers on the table for him from other clubs too - so basic maths says that its a 20% chance!!! Although how strong our chance is against the other four clubs is unknown - ball is basically in Phillips court based on greed/preference of where he wants to live/which league he wants to play in and several other factors I'm sure are in his mind.

I will assume your source is reliable.. you have a lot of detail in there for it to be totally made up nonsense.

I was not aware of the connection between GJ/KM and Phillipps from the Watford days.. if this is correct then perhaps we have a better than 1 in 5 chance.

Frankly, he is knocking on a bit so we have to temper that with value for money in him coming off the bench. 12k a week purported?.. if he scores 10 goals in a season its probably worth it.

The Phillips deal only HAS a 20% chance of happening. Basically, its true that City have offered him something serious that is a good offer but there are five other serious offers on the table for him from other clubs too - so basic maths says that its a 20% chance!!! Although how strong our chance is against the other four clubs is unknown - ball is basically in Phillips court based on greed/preference of where he wants to live/which league he wants to play in and several other factors I'm sure are in his mind.

This does tie up with reports I read yesterday, we could well be one of the clubs but the others sound like WBA, Birmingham, Derby and maybe Ipswich or Barnsley.

Guest Deanorap

I see there is nothing new posted onto the Website today. Is this a case of "No news is good news"?

As for who we will or won't have signed by the start of our season, I really hope GJ strengthens our strikeforce, with one or 2 of the names being mentioned. I think we can all trust his judgement in the signings he has previously made for BCFC.

Shame Carle has gone, as i think he had potential, but the alleged £250-500k profit is good business.

Is there any recent news on the lad from Sunderland?

I'm hoping to get a car load upto the game at Forest Green next weekend, that is the start of the season for us!

Can't see City waiting that long. If we don't get him it would of been another week wasted. I think if he is going to sign it will be within the next 7 days. Any longer and we could lose other targets. this is only IMO.

Can't see City waiting that long. If we don't get him it would of been another week wasted. I think if he is going to sign it will be within the next 7 days. Any longer and we could lose other targets. this is only IMO.

I agree but it sounds like we have him (or have a good chance) pending medical, then all reviled just before the Algarve trip.

Archived