IGNORED

Gj Says New Signings Unlikely

Alex_BCFC

Guest triad
Shame that because I think with a couple of decent additions we could really push for that top 6. Maybe we will without them but I just feel we may be around 10th.

Source?

Guest bcfctimes

I don't think we should pay too much attention to that. Four deals have been 'done' this summer - two quiet ones with nothing official until it was done and they are now with us, and two which were brought into the public and then both fell apart.

I guess with the NM signing he won't have to keep answering to the same questions and now all will be done on the the quiet like NM and GW. After all, the numbers 12 and 16 are available....

He doesn't actually say - no more players - does he?

I would like to hear him answer the question - "Last week you said you had a bid in for another striker, in Europe, who you were very excited about and we'd be equally excited about. What's happened to that deal?"

Guest BCFC You Reds!

It sounds as if he is happy with the squad hes got, but doesnt mean we wont be signing anyone else if the deal is right! i think two additional signings would be great :fingerscrossed:

Johnson needs to make his mind up as it changes with every interview. The other day he said he needed 3 to 4 Championship quality players to give him a squad of 20 Championship quality players. I am struggling to keep up.

Asked if there would could be further transfer activity following the club record signing of Maynard on Thursday Gary replied: "If we don't sign anyone it looks like people may be happy with what we have but you never say never to anyone new coming in.

"I'll keep looking and we'll let you know if that happens but we've only got seven days and a lot has to happen for that person to come in and do enough in the first games.

"We'll wait and see but at the moment I'm happy with the squad - and we've got seven days to peak yet!"

I don't read that as saying no new signings. GJ is saying we have the striker we needed and the Carle replacement. He's clearly still looking but the urgency (and the need to pay over the odds) has now gone.

Guest StAnD uP If YoUr NoT a GaS

YEs but when GJ signed MAynard ( by the way fantastic performance!) although not saying he was going to sign new players he did not rule out any new signings.

GJ said we needed 3-4 players,

signing maynard may leave less money to get them, but that doesnt suddenly change the fact that we need them.

I expect one or two more signings, however don't know if they will make blackpool, and also i don't expect them to be for big fees (if any fee at all).

signing maynard may leave less money to get them, but that doesnt suddenly change the fact that we need them.

I expect one or two more signings, however don't know if they will make blackpool, and also i don't expect them to be for big fees (if any fee at all).

After the soap opera over the past few weeks, I suspect GJ may actually be looking to bring someone else in, but is doing his absolute best to keep everything quiet.

Weale, Basso (2)

Orr, McAllister, Carey, Fontaine, Wilson, McCoombe (6)

Sproule, Williams, Skuse, Johnson, Elliot, Noble, McIndoe, Murray (8)

Brooker, Trundle, Maynard, Adebola (4)

Gary said he wanted 20 championship players. That's 20 and it looks like Ribeiro and Wilson will get game time at the back along with Myrie-Williams covering left mid and the strikers.

So a squad of 23ish is enough with an avoidance of injuries to key areas.

I don't think we should pay too much attention to that. Four deals have been 'done' this summer - two quiet ones with nothing official until it was done and they are now with us, and two which were brought into the public and then both fell apart.

personally speaking, I'd say all four deals done were in the public eye prior to the deals being completed, the only thing it really has showed this summer is that it's easier to deal with British Player than it is Johnny Foreigner......

Sometimes people to need think about what Gary has said in the past, and when he says things now and what he actually means, Gary is the master of the mind games, the 3-4 player comment suprised alot of people and came straight after a poor performance, Gary says these things alot of the time not because he means it, but it get a reaction out of the current players in the squad to get them to buck their ideas up.......it's amazing how much a player will up his performance levels when he thinks his boss is looking for a replacement.

Looking at the performances put out last night, I think the reaction Gary was looking for from the players has been found, personally I think we won't sign anyone else.

Keepers is fine, Midfield is fine, Attack is good enough.

Defence is the only weak point, however with the increased pre-season games for Riberio and Wilson and Skuse showing he can still play at Centre Half, I think Gary feels he has enough options.....personally I do.

Keepers is fine, Midfield is fine, Attack is good enough.

Defence is the only weak point, however with the increased pre-season games for Riberio and Wilson and Skuse showing he can still play at Centre Half, I think Gary feels he has enough options.....personally I do.

Keepers is fine I agree. But midfield I still think we will lack creativity down the middle. Attack- I'm happy to run with the 4 we have but am not against another one coming in.

As you say defence is the real worry. A decent centre back for me is a must and possibly someone better than McCallister.

I don't believe a word GJ says in public about transfers, he likes to keep his cards close to his chest.

I expect there'll be one or two more players in, maybe not next week but before the window shuts IMO.

I believe he's happy with his squad but looking to add to it. As ever.

Sometimes people to need think about what Gary has said in the past, and when he says things now and what he actually means, Gary is the master of the mind games, the 3-4 player comment suprised alot of people and came straight after a poor performance, Gary says these things alot of the time not because he means it, but it get a reaction out of the current players in the squad to get them to buck their ideas up.......it's amazing how much a player will up his performance levels when he thinks his boss is looking for a replacement.

Looking at the performances put out last night, I think the reaction Gary was looking for from the players has been found, personally I think we won't sign anyone else.

If GJ is going to go into the new season thinking all is good and the squad excellent on the back of one good performance against a second division Belgian team then I'd be shocked.

Just because we beat a foreign team comprehensively doesn't mean the flaws displayed in all the other games are eliminated.

If GJ is going to go into the new season thinking all is good and the squad excellent on the back of one good performance against a second division Belgian team then I'd be shocked.

Just because we beat a foreign team comprehensively doesn't mean the flaws displayed in all the other games are eliminated.

Could you please list the flaws.

A defender (central) and midfielder (an Elliott bcak-up) would do me.

The squad is not thin and I think we might see the young lads bolstering the numbers more this term.

If Artus, Ribero, Wilson and Walker don't make at least a handful of games this year I'd be surprised.

I don't think our summer spending is over at all but now we have signed Nicky Maynard GJ will be able to carry out any further signings his way............ privately. Lets face it we've all been clammering for a striker since the play off final and by the way some have posted on this forum I think one or two have been camped in the car park of Ashton Gate. And I don't think GJ will sign player to cover but more likely to challenge those who are already here. How many of us predicted Elliot or Byfield signing last season? I honestly think Mr J has an ace or two up his sleeve I may be wrong but it's a gut feeling

Guest 21. Marcham
I don't think our summer spending is over at all but now we have signed Nicky Maynard GJ will be able to carry out any further signings his way............ privately. Lets face it we've all been clammering for a striker since the play off final and by the way some have posted on this forum I think one or two have been camped in the car park of Ashton Gate. And I don't think GJ will sign player to cover but more likely to challenge those who are already here. How many of us predicted Elliot or Byfield signing last season? I honestly think Mr J has an ace or two up his sleeve I may be wrong but it's a gut feeling

I totally agree wıth that post. Elliott to me was a real suprise as not many people have heard of hım, but now he ıs one of most important players.

Carle`s replacement is stıll to come i feel. Does anybody know if the Marc Janko deal is still or ever was ongoing?

Archived