IGNORED

Wilson's dilemma

Guest graham b

Guest graham b

Both systems have advantages and disadvantages with our present squad.

With 3-5-2.

Yesterday's team looked disjointed again.

Amankwaah is not comfortable at wingback and is a lot happier at full back.

Woodman makes a better fist at wingback but always looks better as an overlapping full back

Coles was poor with too many humped aimless balls as clearances. Definitely better as one of two in the centre at the back.

However Wilkshire release to central midfield has seen a huge improvement in his play. In my book he would have been our motm yesterday as his invention was one of our few positives. His goal should also be a great confidence booster.

Aarons Brown play yesterday showed clearly once more that his only position where he can be an asset (when the mood takes him) is wide left. Tinnions controlled play was badly missed as our performance was dragged down to Bradford PA's level.

So disadvantages in the wideplay and at the back. with 3-5-2. Advantages in the middle of the park.

With 4-4-2

The huge problem is wide right. Wilkshire isn't the answer. We are too narrow. Roberts could be given an extended run as he has the attributes of pace and an ability to take on players. Wilson however seems reluctant to give him time to settle in the position. Up front he doesn't link at all with Peacock and it consistently pulling wide for his runs. If not Roberts then Marvin Brown spent a lot of his final year in the Academy playing wide right so lets see him being given a chance.

Aaron Brown is better as a winger in a 4-4-2 rather than a wing back in a 3-5-2. His defensive play is poor and it would put extra pressure on the left side of defence if he played wingback.

However 4-4-2 would mean a loss of a player in the middle of the park. Wilson took the first ten games or so to realise that Tinman is still an essential cog in our midfield. Burnell has come back from the supporters harsh criticism with a number of excellent performances for the team and is obviously most comfortable in the holding role of a midfield three. Wilkshire has put in a couple of excellent performances since the switch to 3-5-2.

So do we go back to 4-4-2 and leave out Wilkshire/Tinnion and lose invention in the middle of the park. Or do we preserve the 3-5-2 with good defensive wingbacks (is it 5-3-2?) but little invention on the flanks and our best defender obviously uncomfortable at the back.

Upfront the strikers need better service. Peacock and Roberts don't work together. Miller and Peacock is a possibility. Miller strength in the air has hardly been used because of our inability to get to the byline and cross. Lita has shown a greater ability to hold the ball up this season but has only been given limited times from Wilsons traditional 'too late' substitutions. Last weeks half against Luton coincided with an improved second half team performance. His reward three minutes on the pitch yesterday and being seen to be once more as behind Matthews in the pecking order. Yesterdays game would have been an ideal opportunity to introduce him from the start.

So do we get better service to the strikers witth 3-5-2 or 4-4-2? What should Wilson do? 3-5-2 or 4-4-2. All I know with confidence is that whatever he does it will be criticised by a section of the support unless the results start improving.

Graham B

Thoughtful post Graham.

It seems to be that one of our main problems this season has been readjusting to the loss of Scott Murray. Early on, Wilson recognised that we had to try and find a different style of play: Murray was a special player with specific attributes, and he recognised that we would always struggle to replace him like for like.

We've tried a number of different sytems and a number of different players, but none of them seem that comfortabe with the demands of 3-5-2. In order to make that system work I suspect we would need a stronger pacier attacking option either on the wing or through the middle.

As you say, Wilkshire is not the answer wide right in a 4-4-2, and neither is Amankwaaah, unless attacking from deep.

So 4-4-2 it is then, and I think we have the players to make that work, with one glaring hole. Surprise surprise, that'd be the right wing. Roberts isn't the answer, unless he can learn to deliver a better final ball, and Marvin doesn't seem to be making the progress we all hoped for. If we're going to play with a winger, that's what we need, a winger. We don't have one at the club .. not who's ready for the first team anyway. Therefore, we have to buy one. If there's no money available, lets sell a player we can spare to get in the player we need. Danny Coles would be missed, but we have cover for him. Tommy Doherty, IMHO, wouldn't be missed, and we might get some money for him too.

So a possible starting team would be

Phillips

Amankwaah, Carey, Butler, Woodman

Mystery man, Burnell, Tinnion/Wilkshire, A Brown

Peacock Miller.

Of course we could argue about personnel. No Matt Hill? No Roberts? No Lita? No Bell? No Matthews? (no thanks) Well, they could all fit quite happily into that formation to cover for injuries, suspension, loss of form. Who should start, Tinnion or Wilkshire? Hmm, difficult one that, but clearly not both in a 4 4 2. Tinnion still has a lot to offer, not least his passion and commitment, and Wilkshire is starting to find his feet in the centre. I couldn't make it to Bradford, but the report in the Independent described him as 'oustanding'. In the long term he could prove an excellent replacement for Tins .. but how to keep them both happy in the meantime? Glad I'm not a manager.

But the key position is wide right, and until we find the right player, then this formation will always struggle to create chances.

Go get him Danny.

Guest Red_Rat

Well in my opinion neither one works,I'D love see us play a team like this;

GK:Philips

CB:Danny Coles CB:Tony Butler CB:Matt Hill

DM:Tommy Doherty

RM:Luke Wilkshire CM:Brian Tinnion LM:Aaron Brown

AM:Simon Clist

CF:Lee Peacock CF:Lee Miller/Christian Roberts

A good post Graham - a nice summing up of the tactical situation we find ourselves in.

Personally I favour 3-5-2 because I rate Amankwaah and Woodman very highly and solid wing-backs are the essential component of the formation. You say Amankwaah looked uncomfortable there but he has played there before - remember when he displaced Murray at the start of a recent season (when we beat Northampton 3-0 away in the first game).

It's not ideal (I rate KA even higher at RB than at RWB) but given the horrible, horrible void on the right flank (which I don't believe CR, Marvin or Hawkins are capable of filling) it seems to me to be the best option available.

As you say, this opens up more options in midfield - I'd probably go with Tinnion, Hulbert, Wilkshire as the three but Brown and Burnell would be there or thereabouts depending on the opposition.

Hopefully moving Colesy to the centre of the back three would aleviate his aversion to 3-5-2 - Butler can have a coaching job and be back-up to him.

Miller and Peacock play up front as they're my preferred strike partnership.

....................................Peacock...............Miller

Woodman........Tinnion.............Hulbert..............Wilkshire...............Amankwaah

............................Hill........................Coles.......................Carey

.......................................................Phillips

Bench: Stowell, Burnell, Brown, Roberts, Lita

But then again I've only seen us play once since September 23rd so what do I know...........?? :D

Archived