IGNORED

Not Criticism, Just An Observation

Guest wiggles

Guest wiggles

I repeat, this is NOT criticism of Gary Johnson, just an opinion.

After last years heroics (not to mention the 18 months before that), I was very concerned that GJ would be an attractive manager for a Premier League side.

In fact, I had convinced myself (with great regret) that he would leave at the end of last season, and join a club like Bolton, or Blackburn or Fulham.

However, I have now convinced myself that his management style would not suit a Premier League side (unless it's us).

He has a very dictatorial approach, often leaving talented players out of the frame for long periods of time, dropping some because of a single poor performance, and persisting with others despite questionable form.

I don't think big name (possibly foreign) players at bigger clubs would stand for this, I'm not entirely sure fans would, and am convinced that chairmen wouldn't.

He is a great manager, and I hope he stays at City for a long time, continuing his great work, but I have come to the conclusion that his style wouldn't be tolerated at bigger clubs.

I repeat, this is NOT criticism of Gary Johnson, just an opinion.

After last years heroics (not to mention the 18 months before that), I was very concerned that GJ would be an attractive manager for a Premier League side.

In fact, I had convinced myself (with great regret) that he would leave at the end of last season, and join a club like Bolton, or Blackburn or Fulham.

However, I have now convinced myself that his management style would not suit a Premier League side (unless it's us).

He has a very dictatorial approach, often leaving talented players out of the frame for long periods of time, dropping some because of a single poor performance, and persisting with others despite questionable form.

I don't think big name (possibly foreign) players at bigger clubs would stand for this, I'm not entirely sure fans would, and am convinced that chairmen wouldn't.

He is a great manager, and I hope he stays at City for a long time, continuing his great work, but I have come to the conclusion that his style wouldn't be tolerated at bigger clubs.

Yeah - that Alex Ferguson bloke runs a democracy!! ;-)

Guest ciderhead456

you seem to be contradicting yourself in this part, saying he leaves players out with a bad performance but keeps some in with bad performances, i also think that a football manager needs to be like this... it can never, ever be that a player is in the squad because of his name or rep, they all need to work hard or they should be left out

however i do agree with you that i don't think he could manage higher level players mainly because most of them are big headed and so would not get on with GJ

Guest wiggles
you seem to be contradicting yourself in this part, saying he leaves players out with a bad performance but keeps some in with bad performances, i also think that a football manager needs to be like this... it can never, ever be that a player is in the squad because of his name or rep, they all need to work hard or they should be left out

however i do agree with you that i don't think he could manage higher level players mainly because most of them are big headed and so would not get on with GJ

You're right, it is a contradiction, but that's the point.

If everyone got dropped if they played poorly, there would at least be the defence of consistency, but that isn't the case.

Lee Johnson has not (ever in my recollection) been dropped after a poor or quiet performance, and Adebola (who I think gets a lot of undeserved criticism) is a constant selection, despite not scoring this season. Yet Trundle, Maynard, Noble, Williams and Weale get left out immediately, and Orr and McIndoe get dropped for upsetting Johnson.

As for Alex Ferguson, he is an exception, with an incredible history of success to back up his approach.

You're right, it is a contradiction, but that's the point.

If everyone got dropped if they played poorly, there would at least be the defence of consistency, but that isn't the case.

Lee Johnson has not (ever in my recollection) been dropped after a poor or quiet performance, and Adebola (who I think gets a lot of undeserved criticism) is a constant selection, despite not scoring this season. Yet Trundle, Maynard, Noble, Williams and Weale get left out immediately, and Orr and McIndoe get dropped for upsetting Johnson.

As for Alex Ferguson, he is an exception, with an incredible history of success to back up his approach.

Do agree fully and totally understand the contradiction, that others have missed the point off.

some player can go a long run of games and play badly whereas others get dropped after one bad game, and in some circumstances even if they have played well.

and for the orginal Fergie mention, if your the most succesful club manager in the world and one of the biggest clubs in the world and have 20 years worth of cups/titles to back up your reputation, you can do what you like almost and players won't complain, because many players would rather be a squad player there for many years, than a key player at a lesser club.

Guest wiggles
Add Martin O'Neil to that.....there are plenty more.

I disagree.

If Johnson was manager of Villa, I think he would have handled the Gareth Barry situation differently. Probably letting him go, because he didn't want to play for the club, or leaving him in the reserves for a long period of time to prove who the boss is.

In fact, this is the perfect example of why I don't think Johnsons style would work at a bigger club.

Guest ciderhead456
I disagree.

If Johnson was manager of Villa, I think he would have handled the Gareth Barry situation differently. Probably letting him go, because he didn't want to play for the club, or leaving him in the reserves for a long period of time to prove who the boss is.

In fact, this is the perfect example of why I don't think Johnsons style would work at a bigger club.

yeh i see what you mean

and for the orginal Fergie mention, if your the most succesful club manager in the world and one of the biggest clubs in the world and have 20 years worth of cups/titles to back up your reputation, you can do what you like almost and players won't complain, because many players would rather be a squad player there for many years, than a key player at a lesser club.

And you miss the point. It was said that GJ's dictatorial style wouldn't suit Premier League teams - clearly it can because Fergie is able to use it - partly because of the team he manages. And before he became the most successful club manager in the world his style was still the same.

Heard earlier Southgate is the fifth longest serving manager with just over two years under his belt so I'm lost as to what exactly does make a successful Premier League manager.

Can't however see any of the following accepting any nonsense from their staff: Scolari, Ferguson, Brown, Moyes, P*lis, Hodgson, Redknapp, Keane, Hughes and Kinnear and that's just the certs for me.

Don't think Johnson will be offered a Premier League job anyway as his face just don't fit.

Heard earlier Southgate is the fifth longest serving manager with just over two years under his belt so I'm lost as to what exactly does make a successful Premier League manager.

Can't however see any of the following accepting any nonsense from their staff: Scolari, Ferguson, Brown, Moyes, P*lis, Hodgson, Redknapp, Keane, Hughes and Kinnear and that's just the certs for me.

Don't think Johnson will be offered a Premier League job anyway as his face just don't fit.

Agree, a lot of people still regard him as a lower league manager, and I'm afraid lots of prem clubs still think the likes of paul ince are the way foward....

Guest ciderhead456

to be fair, look at gj's success, everything he has touched has turned to gold

And you miss the point. It was said that GJ's dictatorial style wouldn't suit Premier League teams - clearly it can because Fergie is able to use it - partly because of the team he manages. And before he became the most successful club manager in the world his style was still the same.

Yes, but for the first few years he was VERY unpopular at Utd and was on the verge of getting the boot.

It's taken along time for him to get his way to the standard he does now.

The point was that at the moment, Prem clubs are unlikely to go for him and I'd agree with that, the only way Johnson will ever get to the prem, is by taking a team there and building his rep from there, much like Martin O'Neill did.

Yes, but for the first few years he was VERY unpopular at Utd and was on the verge of getting the boot.

It's taken along time for him to get his way to the standard he does now.

The point was that at the moment, Prem clubs are unlikely to go for him and I'd agree with that, the only way Johnson will ever get to the prem, is by taking a team there and building his rep from there, much like Martin O'Neill did.

True enough - but that has nothing to do with his style imo

Archived