IGNORED

Freight Rover Trophy 1987

Red_Chelt

This was the first match I ever went to, remember walking up Wembley Way for the first and only time and the cracking atmosphere throughout the match.

But for the life of me I can't remember who was in the City team that day. I remember Rob Newman scoring his penalty in the shoot-out and David Moyes missing his but who else played for City that day?

Cheers.

This was the first match I ever went to, remember walking up Wembley Way for the first and only time and the cracking atmosphere throughout the match.

But for the life of me I can't remember who was in the City team that day. I remember Rob Newman scoring his penalty in the shoot-out and David Moyes missing his but who else played for City that day?

Cheers.

I couldl ook it up but that will just spoil the fun - from memory Keith Curle, Glyn Riley, Howard Pritchard, Keith Waugh, Andy Llewellyn, Bobby Hutchinson, Steve Neville, Gordon Bloody Owen.............

I couldl ook it up but that will just spoil the fun - from memory Keith Curle, Glyn Riley, Howard Pritchard, Keith Waugh, Andy Llewellyn, Bobby Hutchinson, Steve Neville, Gordon Bloody Owen.............

Keith Waugh, of course! I think he dived to his left for every penalty in that game...

I think Joe Jordan was up front with Glyn Riley. Gary Marshall and Gordon Owen on the wings. Brian Williams and Andy Llewellyn the full backs. Keith Waugh in goal. John McPhail was one of the centre backs; I think it was him who missed in sudden death meaning they won.

From memory I think it was: Waugh; Llewellen, Moyes, McPhail, Williams; Owen, Walsh, Newman, Marshall; Riley & Jordan. Curle & Fitzpatrick came on as subs and after Owen missed the pen that would have won it Moyes missed the last one and Mansfield clinched it. I don't recall us playing very well (nothing like the year before v Bolton) and were second best but once Riley equalised I thought we'd go on and win it. Rarely seemed to do anything against Mansfield, usually dour and physical team.....

Everyone thought the final would be v Middlebrough but they managed to lose the two legged Northern final to Mansfield. Here's what I wrote at the time.....

1986/87 promised much but produced nothing and the most disappointed player was surely Gordon Owen. He was a speedy, goal scoring right winger who had come from Barnsley the previous summer. City again did well in the Freight Rover Trophy with a draw at Exeter and a 3-0 win over Rovers in the pool stage. Terry Cooper then signed three players; Joe Jordan, Trevor Morgan and on loan Steve Galliers. City then beat Southend and Brentford who had won the League match at Ashton Gate 2-0. In the semi-final, City beat Gillingham and met Aldershot for the right to play at Wembley. Aldershot were unbeaten for ten games, but City came away from the Recreation Ground 2-1 victors. 16,371 saw City win the home leg 2-0 and return to Wembley where they would meet Mansfield who had beaten fancied Middlesborough in the Northern final. All the while, the League performance hinted at a place in the promotion play offs that had been introduced. Gillingham made sure of featuring in them by scoring a last minute goal at Ashton Gate to win 3-2 and a late equaliser in Kent. Swindon came the 40 miles down the M4 for the final game of the 1986/87 season. A draw would see them promoted automatically, whilst City needed a win to reach the play offs. 19,201 saw Trevor Morgan equalise an early Swindon goal. With 13 minutes remaining, Jordan was brought down in the area and Gordon Owen opted to take the penalty kick. He shot wide.

A fortnight later 30,000 fans again went to Wembley. Loanee Galliers had been refused permission to play unless he was bought outright. As he was injured, City refused to do so. Steve Neville, the previous year's hero, was also absent with a broken leg. That year the team was led out by the club Scout, Jock Rae. He had been with the club since 1936, fifty years. Mansfield took the lead ten minutes after the interval, but three minutes from time, Owen received a cross and passed on into the area for Riley to equalise. Extra time ended with no more goals and the pitch was littered with exhausted players from both teams. A penalty shoot out was now held, goal keeper Keith Waugh had saved two penalties and City were winning 4-3. Gordon Owen then shot his kick straight to the Mansfield 'keeper. They then equalised, Moyes missed with his kick and Mansfield went on to win 5-4. The one consolation was another £100,00 profit. The following season, Owen ran out onto the pitch for the opening game with a paper bag over his head and won an immediate pardon from the fans

Archived