IGNORED

World Cup Debate

Magic Man

Anyone else listening to the 'World Cup in Bristol' debate on Radio Bristol??

Christ!... I've never heard so many negative comments around what, for me, is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Bristol. Makes me feel a bit depressed to think not everyone is behind it.

I didn't hear it.

What were the main objections? As I struggle to think of any downsides.

Well i have expressed concerns about the size of the stadium and the risk of playing to a half empty ground after but according to the experts on here it can be whipped back down to 30,000 so that doesnt seem to be a major concern!

Well i have expressed concerns about the size of the stadium and the risk of playing to a half empty ground after but according to the experts on here it can be whipped back down to 30,000 so that doesnt seem to be a major concern!

Correct - IF Bristol gets the World Cup and IF City are not playing at a level by 2018/19 that warrants a 40k stadium, the design is such that the capacity could be taken back down. Hopefully, however, we'll be in the Prem by then and need a 40k stadium!

Correct - IF Bristol gets the World Cup and IF City are not playing at a level by 2018/19 that warrants a 40k stadium, the design is such that the capacity could be taken back down. Hopefully, however, we'll be in the Prem by then and need a 40k stadium!

Lots of 'if's' in there, but how much is it going to cost us to switch the capacity? Can't imagine that is going to be very cheap.......

Lots of 'if's' in there, but how much is it going to cost us to switch the capacity? Can't imagine that is going to be very cheap.......

Whose going to pay for the extra capacity as well before switching? How does this process work of switching capacity back and forth work and is this not having a impact on the way the stadium is designed short term.

How are we going to accommodate the massive press prescence etc? Look at Wembley and then think how will that not compromise our new stadium design as half a stand will have to come out. If anybody thinks thats trivia actually have look at what new stadia have to incorporate for Tournaments.

Bristol would be a fine venue for a host City but we have to see BCFC's bigger picture or we could get left with a huge white [red] elephant.

Guest Ashton Great

I remember seeing an interview with Sextone a while back discussing this very matter, and he mentioned that temporary expansions were carried out in several stadia in Germany for the world cup in 2006 at a very reasonable price.

I've got faith that the board will have gone through every aspect of this with a fine tooth comb and I don't think there's much for us to worry about on this.

Whose going to pay for the extra capacity as well before switching? How does this process work of switching capacity back and forth work and is this not having a impact on the way the stadium is designed short term.

How are we going to accommodate the massive press prescence etc? Look at Wembley and then think how will that not compromise our new stadium design as half a stand ill have to come out. If anybody thinks thats trivia actually have look at what new stadia have to incorporate for Tournaments.

Bristol would be a fine venue for a host City but we have to see BCFC's bigger picture or we could get left with a huge white [red] elephant.

Frome you have summed up my concerns exactly!

I have had this argument before on here and was shot down in flames! Accused of being negative and lacking ambition! (Like i wouldnt want to go watch a world cup match in Bristol!!!) :disapointed2se:

I remember seeing an interview with Sextone a while back discussing this very matter, and he mentioned that temporary expansions were carried out in several stadia in Germany for the world cup in 2006 at a very reasonable price.

I've got faith that the board will have gone through every aspect of this with a fine tooth comb and I don't think there's much for us to worry about on this.

I'm with you there mate - I don't doubt for one moment that it's been looked in to. Just hope that the money needed to make the changes doesn't come out of the transfer budget! Any clues on how much we would make if we were to get 1 group game, which I'm guessing is the most we will get?

It's already been said I believe that, if England get the World Cup and Bristol is chosen, we would get 3 or 4 games with one being a quarter final.

If there is a possibility that this can happen, which there is, the club, the council, the people, the city must do everything in it's power to secure World Cup football for Bristol in 2018.

The positives must outweigh the negatives otherwise those financing the situation would not be doing so.

Its not just capacity as there are FIFA tournaments diktats from the stadium lighting to the size of the fourth officials bench all of which will have to paid for and will have an impact on our stadium. City are an average sized club and are going right out on limb to provide the same sort of facilities as say the Emirates. How fine is that comb?

Do the Gasheads know their Councul tax will be used to fund our stadium? Theres a crap South stand that needs sorting out pronto.

Who gives a shite about the gas?

Their Council Tax will be used to bring WC football to their home city.

Guest Ashton Great
Its not just capacity as there are FIFA tournaments diktats from the stadium lighting to the size of the fourth officials bench all of which will have to paid for and will have an impact on our stadium. City are an average sized club and are going right out on limb to provide the same sort of facilities as say the Emirates. How fine is that comb?

Appreciate what you're saying, but surely any brand new stadium will be made to comply with FIFA regulations regardless of whether or not it is hosting a WC match. Also to be honest any minor alterations (if neccessary) aren't going to cost the earth and this would clearly be outweighed by the revenue earned from hosting the game(s).

Disagree completely that we're going "right out on a limb" as I've got enough faith in SL to know that he wouldn't be so reckless.

Appreciate what you're saying, but surely any brand new stadium will be made to comply with FIFA regulations regardless of whether or not it is hosting a WC match. Also to be honest any minor alterations (if neccessary) aren't going to cost the earth and this would clearly be outweighed by the revenue earned from hosting the game(s).

Disagree completely that we're going "right out on a limb" as I've got enough faith in SL to know that he wouldn't be so reckless.

Brand new stadiums don't comply with FIFA regs for tournaments. Ok for friendlies not tournaments.

We are really could be going out on limb for the World cup if funding is not there or guaranteed. A 30000 stadium is costing eighty million but 42000 seats and more cost on top to accomodate the media etc will finally cost? Add cost for taking the capacity back off?

Brand new stadiums don't comply with FIFA regs for tournaments. Ok for friendlies not tournaments.

We are really could be going out on limb for the World cup if funding is not there or guaranteed. A 30000 stadium is costing eighty million but 42000 seats and more on top to accomodate the media etc will finally cost? Add cost for taking the capacity back off?

But its the world cup which is getting the stadium built! Without it, we may have struggled to get planning permission.

With the news that the council are putting Bristol forward - we have planning permission pretty much in the bag.

I could'nt care less if the WC was here - but the WC is helping us move forward as a club. We need a new stadium to have realistic ambitions to compete at the top.

Anyone else listening to the 'World Cup in Bristol' debate on Radio Bristol??

Christ!... I've never heard so many negative comments around what, for me, is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Bristol. Makes me feel a bit depressed to think not everyone is behind it.

You've only got to look at this thread. I am afraid being negative and downbeat is a typically Bristolian attitude and, if replicated by councillors and planning officers, we won't be getting a new ground of ANY SIZE. Anybody would think that Steve Lansdown is some ignorant chancer who got lucky on the lottery one day and hasn't got a clue about finance and how to run businesses - clearly he hasn't in comparison to many of the contributors on here who only post all day because they are loaded and don't have to go to work!!!

As Bristolians we get the City we deserve at times and our inherent negativity has always been a stumbling block to progress in the City.

If Lansdown gives up on this stadium we can forget getting an alternative for about twenty years plus.

But its the world cup which is getting the stadium built! Without it, we may have struggled to get planning permission.

With the news that the council are putting Bristol forward - we have planning permission pretty much in the bag.

I could'nt care less if the WC was here - but the WC is helping us move forward as a club. We need a new stadium to have realistic ambitions to compete at the top.

I would love the opportnity to see the World Cup in Bristol but not if it leaves us with a great monolith of stadium and something that was not primarliy for our fans.

Struggle to get planning permission? I don't know enough about the planing process to say if City's stadium would struggle so much compared to the problems the other lot had v the possibilty of overlooking the neighbours houses.

I would love the opportnity to see the World Cup in Bristol but not if it leaves us with a great monolith of stadium and something that was not primarliy for our fans.

Struggle to get planning permission? I don't know enough about the planing process to say if City's stadium would struggle so much compared to the problems the other lot had v the possibilty of overlooking the neighbours houses.

We need a big stadium if we have ambitions of being an established prem team. If we stay in the championship it will be too big, but thats what happens at other clubs. Brum rarely filled there ground this season.

The stadium is for us - I get the impression that we are using the WC to get the thing built.

With regard to Planning Permission, I'm going by our councils history for not being co-operate with city and rovers in the past.

Sexstone said that the ground will be built with a 30,000 capacity - I assume everyone agrees this is the amount that we should be looking for?

If England win the World Cup then the two roofs at either end are raised and temporary seating is added to get to the 40,000 - i,e, the minimum for the world cup.

Whether the temporary seating and roofs remain as they are will depend on our attendances and our division at that time in 2018 - if we still a championship club then presumably the seats will be taken out and the roofs lowered and we stick with a 30,000 stadium that can in future be easily have it's capacity increased. If we are in the Premier League and getting 25k - 28k crowds then I presume that the temporary seats will be made or replaced with permanent seats and the roof stay in the higher elevation.

When I said the roofs will be raised - I think Sexstone said that the existing ones are removed and stored away and then replaced when the tournament has finished.

Plenty of old gits phoning up today. A very clear pattern emerges.

Mostly old(er) people who are determined that Bristol can't make a success of it.

They contribute nothing to society yet are the first to whinge if things aren't as they'd like them.

Surely any ambitious club would build a new stadium with the scope to easily expand, whether it be for a world cup or the hope that one day you'll make the promise land! It shouldn't comprimise the design or stadium or increase initial build cost either. Can't believe anyone would suggest we should do anything other than this.

Guest Ashton Great

We are really could be going out on limb for the World cup if funding is not there or guaranteed. A 30000 stadium is costing eighty million but 42000 seats and more cost on top to accomodate the media etc will finally cost? Add cost for taking the capacity back off?

The FIFA regs point is immaterial, as any brand new stadium isn't going to need an awful lot of modification and the cost of any small tweaks will be easily exceeded by the revenues generated.

Don't be so naive as to think that SL and CS won't have already considered these costs. As I mentioned above CS has publicly stated that similar actions were carried out in Germany 2006 for very reasonable prices.

We need a big stadium if we have ambitions of being an established prem team. If we stay in the championship it will be too big, but thats what happens at other clubs. Brum rarely filled there ground this season.

The stadium is for us - I get the impression that we are using the WC to get the thing built.

With regard to Planning Permission, I'm going by our councils history for not being co-operate with city and rovers in the past.

The timing is, I'm sure, not coincidental.

The club, assuming planning permission is granted (which given the council's confirmed intention to put in a World Cup bid it almost has to be) will build a stadium of an appropriate size for our current / mid-term needs, i.e. 30k capacity. If we outgrow that, it can be expanded. If Bristol gets the WC, it can be expanded. In the latter case it might be appropriate, might it not, for the major benefactors of Bristol being a host city, i.e. the city itself, to chip in towards the cost. And that's what our friend Mr Robinson would call a 'cunning plan'!

You've only got to look at this thread. I am afraid being negative and downbeat is a typically Bristolian attitude and, if replicated by councillors and planning officers, we won't be getting a new ground of ANY SIZE. Anybody would think that Steve Lansdown is some ignorant chancer who got lucky on the lottery one day and hasn't got a clue about finance and how to run businesses - clearly he hasn't in comparison to many of the contributors on here who only post all day because they are loaded and don't have to go to work!!!

As Bristolians we get the City we deserve at times and our inherent negativity has always been a stumbling block to progress in the City.

If Lansdown gives up on this stadium we can forget getting an alternative for about twenty years plus.

See......typical responce. Exactly like last time!!!!

Anyone expresses the slightest concern or worry and you get overreative comments like "if replicated by councillors and planning officers, we won't be getting a new ground of ANY SIZE."

The only negative comments i have read are mainly about the extra 10,000 seats and the possible financial costs and what happens to the extra seats after the match! Reasonable concerns and comments IMO. Certainly things that would have been brought up and discussed by the people that really matter.......and you come out with "we wont get a ground with that attitude"

As for Lansdown. Youre right he does know how to run a business. Same as Gary Johnson knows how to run a football team but that doesnt stop you giving our opinions on it! Thats what we do on this site! None of what is posted is actually going to have any affect on the actual stadium or team! I am sure everyone on here is well aware of the planning and thought that goes into something like this! Doesnt mean we cant still talk about the possible obstacles does it????

Maybe you should go win the lottery and then you wont be so bitter about everyone else posting all day!

Can't believe my eyes.. reducing the capacity if we get a 40k stadium? Forget it! If you would like to spend that money on the stadium build a Suspension bridge roof so that the stadium can be used for concerts etc. all year around! Besides, playing in a half full stadium is not a problem. Leave the upper tier empty or use curtains. My second team AIK Solna will at the same time play in front of 20 000 in 50 000 stadium and it's seen as an possibility - not a problem.

Would they be floral curtains or plain???

All the debate about the design of the stadium and talk of souless bowls and not getting the atmosphere we want and you think playing to a half full stadium would be ok! Sorry boss but i cant agree with you on that one!!!!

It's not a joke about the curtains. The plan is to hide away the upper tiers when they are not requiered. Evening games should not be a problem anyway.

http://www.nordisksport.net/6005216b-e7d9-...454fa1d-29.html

I think we shall be very happy for a 40 000k seater.

A good reason to play attractive football ;)

Sorry mate was just kidding!

I know what you mean about the curtains but it just sounds like a poo idea to be honest IMO! I certainly wouldnt want half of our stadium curtained off! I would rather have it half empty!

If we are in the prem then maybe a 40,000 seater may be ok but if not then IMO it would be far too big and wouldnt do the fans or the team any good whatsoever!!!!! (It may help the opposition though)

Agreed but I would have asked myself how many seats we actually could have sold on the day.

Yes of course and if we sold out 30,000 seats i would agree with you!

My argument against a 40,000 seater is that i cant even see us selling out 30,000 yet alone 40,000 unless we were in the prem and even then it is debatable whether we would sell out 30k.

The ideal of playing in a stadium with 10k,15k or maybe even 20k empty seats would be bad for the club! Also i don't see the curtain situation doing us any favours! I don't think i am being negative saying that....just realistic!

Of course we could be 1 of the top teams in the country by then and selling out 40,000 every Game! :fingerscrossed:

In the end it's for the fans of the future to tell

Cheers

Tommy

Hopefully you're breeding a new phalanx of future BCFC fans there in Sweden to the extent they'll be forced to shut the gates on a full house at the new ground in 10 years or so. :yes:

Do the Gasheads know their Councul tax will be used to fund our stadium? Theres a crap South stand that needs sorting out pronto.

When the Mayor attended the launch he said that the World Cup in Bristol would generate £100,000,000 for the City in that year with a further anticipated £100,000,000 in subsequent years due to the advertising it would give our beautiful City to the world. In my opinion that £200,000,000 is a conservative estimate.

All that money will directly benefit everyone in Bristol. The feel-good factor in the years running-up to it, the sense of pride we'd all feel at being at the centre of the world's attention, and the almight party we'd all have are just part of this. The wealth and job creation and the improvement in the transport infrastructure would be huge and lasting. Simple maths says that if the Council, by paying a few million to help realise this once-in-a-lifetime dream can generate hundreds of millions of pounds then that's a great investment and something everyone should be behind 100%.

If the situation was reversed and it needed money spent on Rovers' stadium I would be jealous but 100% behind it too. There's a bigger picture to see than footballing rivalries.

I'm also sure that the stadium is being designed for Bristol City. We improve our chances of sustaining premier league football with a 40,000 stadium but you've got to get there first. A 40,000 stadium now would be too much but it's wise planning to be ready to maximise City's potential if we get there.

The FIFA regs point is immaterial, as any brand new stadium isn't going to need an awful lot of modification and the cost of any small tweaks will be easily exceeded by the revenues generated.

Don't be so naive as to think that SL and CS won't have already considered these costs. As I mentioned above CS has publicly stated that similar actions were carried out in Germany 2006 for very reasonable prices.

The FIFA regualtions are anything but immaterial. Any brand new stadium couldn't host a World Cup game and some would need large amounts of modification. The logistics of hosting games are absolutely enormous and change from group stage to quarter final etc. If St Marys capacity was increased to 40000 could it still deal with FIFA's demands for a media centre for 800 for instance let alone the numerous other neccessities requiring huge amounts of square metres and people within the ground?

Different competition but some of the tweaks made by clubs to their stadiums for the European Championships in Portugal cost those clubs millions of euros and were never covered by the revenues generated. I would never suggest that somebody like Bristol Citys Chairman would do similar but suggesting its a simple operatation hosting one game let alone the further stages is not hugely expensive and may also compromise for instance the design of the North and South Stands without details is naive rash.

The FIFA regualtions are anything but immaterial. Any brand new stadium couldn't host a World Cup game and some would need large amounts of modification. The logistics of hosting games are absolutely enormous and change from group stage to quarter final etc. If St Marys capacity was increased to 40000 could it still deal with FIFA's demands for a media centre for 800 for instance let alone the numerous other neccessities requiring huge amounts of square metres and people within the ground?

Different competition but some of the tweaks made by clubs to their stadiums for the European Championships in Portugal cost those clubs millions of euros and were never covered by the revenues generated. I would never suggest that somebody like Bristol Citys Chairman would do similar but suggesting its a simple operatation hosting one game let alone the further stages is not hugely expensive and may also compromise for instance the design of the North and South Stands without details is naive rash.

I know you have the football club's best interest at heart and I have had discussions on this subject with you before. But I think the plan in place with the additional idead / revisions as suggested by the Supportes Trust and others really is in the best interest of fans and club alike.

I live just outside of Trowbridge not to far from Frome as you will know. Trowbridge is supposed to be the County Town of Wiltshire...what a joke that statement is these days. Becuase of a council that is afraid to make any decisions or is scared of change or show any sort of ambition to progress, Trowbridge is full of derilict sites which are nothing more than eye sores. The authorities respsonsiable for Trowbridge never make a mistake because they never make a decision, the result of which is a place that resemebles Beruit, OK thats over egging it but you get my drift. And this is unlikely to change any time soon.

My point is that South Bristol and more importantly from my point of view Bristol City has an unprecidented opportunity to build a first class facility which can be developed as the club does. It respesent a tremendious leap forward and will be instrumental in the clubs ability to attract players for many years to come. The ability to increase and reduce capacity in an afordable manner will perhaps not be felt on the stadium oppenning day but years down the line when when hopefully the need will arise and the cost will not be as painfull as it would have been for Reading for example.

I read constantly how far we have come in the last three years, seems a bit of a contradiction to think that is it now isn't it? Why can't the club progress, I read that we can't compete, bigger clubs etc etc, well the Chairman appears to be doing his level best to try and balance the playing field a little bit more in City's favour. I think its about time more people had a little more faith. I've lived through Directors at Bristol City being small time and nieve, not adding 10% sell on on Newcastle signing of Andy Cole a remarkable example. I definately know what I prefer.

Make no mistake World Cup bid or no, there will be plenty of prophets of doom and those that say we can't so this, we can't to that. My questions is why can't Bristol do this?

Yes of course and if we sold out 30,000 seats i would agree with you!

My argument against a 40,000 seater is that i cant even see us selling out 30,000 yet alone 40,000 unless we were in the prem and even then it is debatable whether we would sell out 30k.

The ideal of playing in a stadium with 10k,15k or maybe even 20k empty seats would be bad for the club! Also i don't see the curtain situation doing us any favours! I don't think i am being negative saying that....just realistic!

Of course we could be 1 of the top teams in the country by then and selling out 40,000 every Game! :fingerscrossed:

Ok, with that in mind, how many seats would you put in a new stadium, if you were designing it?

I'm with you there mate - I don't doubt for one moment that it's been looked in to. Just hope that the money needed to make the changes doesn't come out of the transfer budget! Any clues on how much we would make if we were to get 1 group game, which I'm guessing is the most we will get?

The minimum number of games any stadium in Germany got was 5, including at least one knockout game.

Mostly old(er) people who are determined that Bristol can't make a success of it.

They contribute nothing to society yet are the first to whinge if things aren't as they'd like them.

Off topic I know.....but WTF! is this post all about??

Perhaps we should all just shoot ourselves when we get to 65? (And I'm not by the way)

When the Mayor attended the launch he said that the World Cup in Bristol would generate £100,000,000 for the City in that year with a further anticipated £100,000,000 in subsequent years due to the advertising it would give our beautiful City to the world. In my opinion that £200,000,000 is a conservative estimate.

£200million???

Was the mayor a bit tipsy when he made that statement?

Didn`t see this post on my first read through, disgusting attitude. Some people should try and engage their brains before they open their mouths.

PDG

£200million???

Was the mayor a bit tipsy when he made that statement?

Nope. If England get the World Cup in 2018 the estimate is that it would bring at least £1 billion to the economy. Bristol's share of that could comfortably top £100 million.

Can't believe my eyes.. reducing the capacity if we get a 40k stadium? Forget it! If you would like to spend that money on the stadium build a Suspension bridge roof so that the stadium can be used for concerts etc. all year around! Besides, playing in a half full stadium is not a problem. Leave the upper tier empty or use curtains. My second team AIK Solna will at the same time play in front of 20 000 in 50 000 stadium and it's seen as an possibility - not a problem.

Agree with that - I know i'm against the flow but we should build a bowl so that a retractable roof could be installed.

That way we might get money from public funds and earn a lot more from the stadium all year round.

Lots of bowls have a great atmosphere - its the fans who make it not the design.

Most over 65's probably contributed 50 years of income tax plus brought up a younger generation without sucking the benefits system dry.

That puts them in credit so far as i'm concerned.

Not sure what your criteria is to join the 'old' club - 30, 40, 50?

The old gits don't have a say in this or anything else - its the generally inept elected representatives who do...

This has gone a bit off track from my original post about yesterdays Radio Bristol phone-in.

It's interesting to read peoples views on the capacity of the proposed stadium plus some good stuff about curtains... but my big concern was the lack of support from outside of the club for this to succeed.

Even the most sceptical of people on this forum would surely agree that having the World Cup in Bristol, whether it's one match or 5 matches, would be fantastic - a once in a lifetime event! but I can't understand why more people aren't getting behind this from outside the club....

I've been abroad to watch England in major tournaments and the atmosphere is fantastic, the whole city gets involved and it will put bristol on the map for long after the tournament ends.

Mind you, Radio Bristol does attract a lot of moaners at the best of times so perhaps I shouldn't read to much into it.

This has gone a bit off track from my original post about yesterdays Radio Bristol phone-in.

It's interesting to read peoples views on the capacity of the proposed stadium plus some good stuff about curtains... but my big concern was the lack of support from outside of the club for this to succeed.

Even the most sceptical of people on this forum would surely agree that having the World Cup in Bristol, whether it's one match or 5 matches, would be fantastic - a once in a lifetime event! but I can't understand why more people aren't getting behind this from outside the club....

I've been abroad to watch England in major tournaments and the atmosphere is fantastic, the whole city gets involved and it will put bristol on the map for long after the tournament ends.

Mind you, Radio Bristol does attract a lot of moaners at the best of times so perhaps I shouldn't read to much into it.

I think a lot of people outside the club don't understand that Bristol would stage five games, that it would have fan parks, that the atmosphere in host cities is fantastic and it is, as you say, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'd guess a lot of them have read little about it, think Bristol will face huge upheaval for one game of football and that the town centre will be smashed up by hooligans.

I think a lot of people outside the club don't understand that Bristol would stage five games, that it would have fan parks, that the atmosphere in host cities is fantastic and it is, as you say, a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'd guess a lot of them have read little about it, think Bristol will face huge upheaval for one game of football and that the town centre will be smashed up by hooligans.

Correct......there are many many POSITIVE LEAGACIES that will remain for long time after the competition is over

Things like better transport ...improved road systems...........new bars & clubs...Hotels

We might even get that Sustainable transport / Tram type thingy built on the back of it

Imagine that.........being able to travel from centre or waterfront to the "Cider Bowl" on good regular & cheap public transport...

It's not a joke about the curtains. The plan is to hide away the upper tiers when they are not requiered. Evening games should not be a problem anyway.

http://www.nordisksport.net/6005216b-e7d9-...454fa1d-29.html

I think we shall be very happy for a 40 000k seater.

A good reason to play attractive football ;)

I would not mind curtains across with city logos on it would look good! and i would rather

see us build the stadium to full requirements than see city have a lego land stand going up and

down each time, it would look good for outside games but crap for city matches :rolleyes:

Most over 65's probably contributed 50 years of income tax plus brought up a younger generation without sucking the benefits system dry.

That puts them in credit so far as i'm concerned.

Not sure what your criteria is to join the 'old' club - 30, 40, 50?

The old gits don't have a say in this or anything else - its the generally inept elected representatives who do...

I should probably be a bit more specific. 'Old gits' is more of a state of mind than a specific age group as such. Maybe an unfair term, but I think one some will understand.

Its always easy to be negative and say something isn't possible rather than finding solutions. People of that type tend to contribute very little to society (IMO). If anyone views contribution to society being judged by a lifetime's Income Tax, then their assessment is very different to my own.

I don't think the old git attitude is something that helped to construct the Bristol Docks, Clifton suspension Bridge etc. If the callers from yesterday's programme were involved in the planning of Bristol's [now] History then we wouldn't have one.

The prospect of the World Cup can only be a good thing I feel- fan parks, the stadium, the boost to the economy. In short, I believe we need to grasp the nettle and go for it because the benefits perhaps outweigh the issues. That and the possibility of our public transport system improving (and it does need improving), seems a good deal all round should we get it.

I don't think it would!

In 2006 there was 64 matches! 12 Stadiums!

In 2010 there will 64 matches! 10 Stadiums!

2018 64(?)matches 16 Stadiums!

If the number of games follows on i.e 64 matches which i am gussing it would do then we would only get a maximum of 4 matches and thats if they divided them out equally. Chances are The larger grounds like Wembley and Old Trafford would probably get more than 4 which means some others will only get 3 or maybe even 2!

Guest Swansea_Red
I don't think it would!

In 2006 there was 64 matches! 12 Stadiums!

In 2010 there will 64 matches! 10 Stadiums!

2018 64(?)matches 16 Stadiums!

If the number of games follows on i.e 64 matches which i am gussing it would do then we would only get a maximum of 4 matches and thats if they divided them out equally. Chances are The larger grounds like Wembley and Old Trafford would probably get more than 4 which means some others will only get 3 or maybe even 2!

We would be looking to have 4 or 5 games (I believe the OS said so when the story broke about England/Bristol putting a bid forward, I know this isn't the gospel truth but all the same), including a quarter final. I think I remember reading that the list of towns/cities will be cut down to 8 or 9 (some cities having more than one stadium, London, Manchester maybe) so the number of venues will be around the 12 mark, like 2006. FIFA have made a point of tying to get the games spread around the host country and would want a fairly even spread. In 2006 the games were spread evenly, the bigger stadiums having the same number as the smaller stadiums. No stadium had less than 5 games.

I'm not having a dig here you understand, just trying to point out that, hopefully, the games will have an even spread, and FIFA will insist they will be spread evenly. The concern that they won't be is a very valid one, and would make it a lot less worth it if we only got 2 games. But I am confident we won't!

We would be looking to have 4 or 5 games (I believe the OS said so when the story broke about England/Bristol putting a bid forward, I know this isn't the gospel truth but all the same), including a quarter final. I think I remember reading that the list of towns/cities will be cut down to 8 or 9 (some cities having more than one stadium, London, Manchester maybe) so the number of venues will be around the 12 mark, like 2006. FIFA have made a point of tying to get the games spread around the host country and would want a fairly even spread. In 2006 the games were spread evenly, the bigger stadiums having the same number as the smaller stadiums. No stadium had less than 5 games.

I'm not having a dig here you understand, just trying to point out that, hopefully, the games will have an even spread, and FIFA will insist they will be spread evenly. The concern that they won't be is a very valid one, and would make it a lot less worth it if we only got 2 games. But I am confident we won't!

Correct ... it is expected to be 8 or 9 cities, 12 stadia. Bristol, if a host city, would more than likely get 4 or 5 games, possibly including a quarter-final. This is not to be sneezed at.

It doesn't matter how many times this is said, it will still crop up on here and elsewhere - people think for some very strange reason that Bristol will only get one game in the World Cup and it's not worth the hassle.

They also have a blind eye to the spin off benefits which is typical Bristol.

The organising committee have a big job to convince the Bristol public that this is a once in a life time opportunity.

Most other cities are grasping it with both hands.

I just hope that there is a silent majority in favour of it.

If not, it confirms our status as a back water full of yokels.

Hammer, nail and head.

PDG

It doesn't matter how many times this is said, it will still crop up on here and elsewhere - people think for some very strange reason that Bristol will only get one game in the World Cup and it's not worth the hassle.

They also have a blind eye to the spin off benefits which is typical Bristol.

The organising committee have a big job to convince the Bristol public that this is a once in a life time opportunity.

Most other cities are grasping it with both hands.

I just hope that there is a silent majority in favour of it.

If not, it confirms our status as a back water full of yokels.

The only reason i have said 3 or maybe 2 games(That doesnt mean 1!) was because i read there were going to be 16 stadiums here. If there is only going to be 12 then great. More chance of more games!!!

http://www.england2018bid.com/theroadto201...stcityselection

Archived