IGNORED

Grigoris Papazacharias

Guest RobbieTurner

Guest RobbieTurner
I'm pretty sure the drink driver doesnt report on City anymore.

Did you know he has been convicted on drink driving?

Yeah but he was unlucky as he was only moving his car..... :noexpression:

Guest Eamer
Capped at U-16, U-18 and U-21 for the Greek National side

20080918145808552.jpg

Funnily enough, Iraklis (the club he plays for now) were the overseas club who bid for Paul Hartley

Can't see him winning the "best looking player" thread but looks like he's got a bit of potential having played at all but full national level.

Guest Eamer
I don't think Vasko was on trial. He came in on loan after GJ watched a video of him. Vasko

Styavr wasn't- Styvar

Blackman - I can't seem to see either way but I don't remember anyone mentioning he was on trial before he signed.

Think you're right on Vasko that we didn't have him on trial but on the other two:

Styvar was definately on trial. He scored a hat-trick in a reserve game then signed him permanently after that.

With Blackman, GJ has mentioned that he's been training with the first team for a while or something I believe...

Styvar was definately on trial. He scored a hat-trick in a reserve game then signed him permanently after that.

With Blackman, GJ has mentioned that he's been training with the first team for a while or something I believe...

I couldn't see anything about Styvar so I'm sure you guys are right.

I guess what I really meant to say is how many trials have been announced in public/media and then we never sign anyone.

Capped at U-16, U-18 and U-21 for the Greek National side

20080918145808552.jpg

Funnily enough, Iraklis (the club he plays for now) were the overseas club who bid for Paul Hartley

didn't hartley go over for talks maybe he recommend him to gj

Guest MaloneFM
That would be a big name signing.

Johannes Vennegoor of Hesselink, I think you'll find that's a bigger one. Bigger than Forbes Phillpson Masters.

Guest greek_fun

Hello all,

I just created this account to follow the progress of the Greek lad (Papazacharias) that will join the training sessions of your team next week. He is playing for the team I am following in Greece (the same team that brought Hartley for talks in Thessaloniki) and I can give you some details about his skills and his past performance.

He is a very strong and commanding centre back who has also played as a right half back during the last year. He has played several times in U17, U19, U21 national teams and he has been the vice captain of the team during the last 3 years. He had a slip-disk injury problem 2 years ago when he missed half season dealing with that. However last year was in perfect condition and he was a first team regular starter. I could say that he is a Jamie Carragher alike player. He is not moving forward because he is not very quick but he is very strong in personal marking and extremely competent with the ball in the air. I could guess that the next question will be "So why are you selling him?". We have a new manager who is going to rebuild the team from the scratch so he brought an argentinian central defender and wants to give some first team time to a very talented young lad that comes from our academies. Our captain is also a veteran Greek international centre back so Papazacharias is a surplus to the current roster (plus it is rumoured that the offer that Bristol City has made for him is very tempting).

The Greek newspapers report that he will play against Hereford on Monday and Ajax on Wednesday so you will have the opportunity to watch him playing live. However just to let you know, the transfer is presented as 99% sure by the Greek media. I believe that he is a real bargain, he will be greatly missed in Thessaloniki if he leaves but he really deserves a shot in an advanced league.

I will be really happy to read your comments on his performance and I will gladly reply to your questions about his skills and past performance.

Cheers.

Hello all,

I just created this account to follow the progress of the Greek lad (Papazacharias) that will join the training sessions of your team next week. He is playing for the team I am following in Greece (the same team that brought Hartley for talks in Thessaloniki) and I can give you some details about his skills and his past performance.

He is a very strong and commanding centre back who has also played as a right half back during the last year. He has played several times in U17, U19, U21 national teams and he has been the vice captain of the team during the last 3 years. He had a slip-disk injury problem 2 years ago when he missed half season dealing with that. However last year was in perfect condition and he was a first team regular starter. I could say that he is a Jamie Carragher alike player. He is not moving forward because he is not very quick but he is very strong in personal marking and extremely competent with the ball in the air. I could guess that the next question will be "So why are you selling him?". We have a new manager who is going to rebuild the team from the scratch so he brought an argentinian central defender and wants to give some first team time to a very talented young lad that comes from our academies. Our captain is also a veteran Greek international centre back so Papazacharias is a surplus to the current roster (plus it is rumoured that the offer that Bristol City has made for him is very tempting).

The Greek newspapers report that he will play against Hereford on Monday and Ajax on Wednesday so you will have the opportunity to watch him playing live. However just to let you know, the transfer is presented as 99% sure by the Greek media. I believe that he is a real bargain, he will be greatly missed in Thessaloniki if he leaves but he really deserves a shot in an advanced league.

I will be really happy to read your comments on his performance and I will gladly reply to your questions about his skills and past performance.

Cheers.

Thanks for those informed comments, always interesting to hear from someone who has clearly seen him play regularly.

With regard to the deal being "99% sure", if he is here on trial I'm sure GJ has agreed a fee in advance and wants to use this week to confirm whether or not the lad fits the bill.

Hello all,

Cheers.

Thanks for that mate.

Happy days by the look of that :fingerscrossed:

when i first see we are after a foreign player with a long name. It always reminds of that Dutch guy we brought called Clemens Zwendenburg (?) and he was shocking.

Hello all,

Cheers.

thanks for the info, look forward to seeing how he gets on

off topic but how are the greeks taking to Matt Derbyshire?

Lurking in that article is another magic malapropism from Sir Gary: 'If you're good enough, you're young enough'. This explains the Joe Jordan signing. Bring back Tom Ritchie.

It might be magic but is it hardly a malapropism, which is as I understand it the unintentional misuse of a word with one that sounds similar.

Gary has merely replaced 'old' by 'young' in the phrase 'If you're good enough, you're old enough', which is worth just a little smile.

Guest greek_fun

Thanks for you kind welcome to the forum. Earlier today Iraklis (Papazacharias's team) left for a training camp in Austria and the manager called a tranfer-listed guy to replace Papazacharias. The team is going to stay for 2 weeks there so this is an indication that they are not expecting him to return back.

I have spend some five years in UK as a young student and I had the opportunity to watch a lot of football there and I think Papazacharias could be a good backup defender for all championship teams or even starter for some of them. If he was somewhat quicker he would have been a Greek international.

With respect to Derbyshire, he had a good 6-months loan spell at first when his highlight was a spectacular goal he scored at the Cup Final. He has some skills that cannot be found in Greek players of his age, like he is a great finisher and he is moving all the time without the ball so Olympiakos bought him about a month ago for about 3M quids. I can see why he was desperate to move to Olympiakos (Champions League next season plus living in Athens which is nothing like Lanchashire). I think he is well accepted by the fans, being an England international (no matter in U21) is always a huge assett for the reputation of a player who is coming to play in Greece.

I am looking forward to hearing your comments about today's game.

Cheers.

Guest greek_fun

This is probably going to upset you but Greek media suggest that Papazacharias is coming back to train with Bristol City for one more week. Some links related to that (just put them in google language tools):

http://www.novasports.gr/soccer/anational/default.asp?aid=184039
http://www.metrosport.gr/archives/26441

I understand that his first spell was disastrous but who knows, maybe GJ has seen something that Papazacharias can add to your team.

Anyway, maybe these are just press speculation :dunno:

Guest greek_fun

Panathinaikos signed Stambolziev for two years and sent him on loan to AO Kavala (just promoted to the Greek Superleague) along with two more young players. Is he any good?

Guest greek_fun

The announcement of the signing in Panathinaikos' official website:

http://www.pao.gr/el/news/clubnews/?itemid=85e57ba8-731e-41d5-98fc-30b1a5a0a8a7
I didn't find an official announcement about the loan neither in Panathinaikos nor AO Kavala website, however according to AO Kavala he played in their latest firendly game:
http://www.kavalafc.gr/index33.html
and I also found an article in a local newspaper that confirms the loan deal:
http://www.evdomi.gr/pub/starcms/repository/static/articles/ar_35357_1.asp

Of course all links are in greek.

Archived