IGNORED

Swine Flu

Guest DanC

With Swine flu now starting to take a hold and with it expected to get worse in the winter could we possibly see some games later in the season called off due to it?

With Swine flu now starting to take a hold and with it expected to get worse in the winter could we possibly see some games later in the season called off due to it?

Quite likely if it hits a particular club hard, but there's the same possibility with flu every year.

I would say it's more likely that clubs will be unable to host games due to a lack of staff ie stewards, not to mention organisations like the old bill not being able to provide the required resources.

Contigency plans are in place according to today's papers to play games behind closed doors in the event of a major outbreak.

Think the whole Swine Flu thing has gotten outa control, not the virus itself, the over-reaction of the media baiting everyone with it as if its the plague.

Swine flu is mild, most people won't even know they've got it.

People die every day, with or without having swine flu, lets just drop the word "swine" as I think it keeps misleading people.

Now is it such a revelation that people have died from flu? Not really is it, in fact I would probably skip past that news item.

If you heard today that 3 people died from Flu would you panic? No you just wouldn't, so why do people panic when its referred to as swine flu?

Its scandalous the WHO didn't do more to inform the media, or is it the media just wanted to "jazz" it up a bit? So never be in any doubt the media exists only for its own purpose, yes that includes the BBC to an extent as sorry as I am to admit it. But its mostly bored hacks with no imagination or credibility that prefer to speculate with the unknowns than report the obvious truths. Surely more fun?

I don't care about swine flu, i don't have it or know anyone who has got it, therefore I'm not affected, nor do i give 5hit.

I'm on planet reality (debatable i know) with lots of things to do which are immediate to me and I need to deal with, I like doing this, this is where I need to dedicate my time, these are important things. Swine flu is just not on my radar so why is it shoved in my face every moment of every day?

No disrespect to you Dan, its an important debate, but only to analyse the media again and the negative effects they have on the world.

Think the whole Swine Flu thing has gotten outa control, not the virus itself, the over-reaction of the media baiting everyone with it as if its the plague.

People die every day, with or without having swine flu, lets just drop the word "swine" as I think it keeps misleading people.

Now is it such a revelation that people have died from flu? Not really is it, in fact I would probably skip past that news item.

If you heard today that 3 people died from Flu would you panic? No you just wouldn't, so why do people panic when its referred to as swine flu?

Its scandalous the WHO didn't do more to inform the media, or is it the media just wanted to "jazz" it up a bit? So never be in any doubt the media exists only for its own purpose, yes that includes the BBC to an extent as sorry as I am to admit it. But its mostly bored hacks with no imagination or credibility that prefer to speculate with the unknowns than report the obvious truths. Surely more fun?

I don't care about swine flu, i don't have it or know anyone who has got it, therefore I'm not affected, nor do i give 5hit.

I'm on planet reality (debatable i know) with lots of things to do which are immediate to me and I need to deal with, I like doing this, this is where I need to dedicate my time, these are important things. Swine flu is just not on my radar so why is it shoved in my face every moment of every day?

No disrespect to you Dan, its an important debate, but only to analyse the media again and the negative effects they have on the world.

You are right that it is a total over reaction from the media but that over reaction could cause games to be called off or played behind closed doors. If your fit and healthy then it is a mild thing, I am displaying symptoms of it myself which prompted me to start this thread, I went to both the Cheltenham and Ajax games so if I do have it then I could have unknowingly passed it on. And if this is it then Ok it feels uncomfortable to have but I have felt much worse from other illnesses so would definitely agree it is a over reaction.

I`m also on planet reality and have yearly flu jabs as does the missus; I have chronic obstructive lung disease the wife is diabetic, as there is no jab for Swine flu I would say if either get/come into contact with it, that there would be a fair chance of :mf_sleep:

Quite a few Posh reserves played against Villa in yesterday's friendly at London Road. According to the club, there's a mystery bug laying low some of the players & the Manager. Many P'boro' fans though reckon the playing staff have contracted Swine Flu from their recent training camp abroad.

Perhaps Swine Flu decimating playing squads explains Man C signing nine forwards.

Quite a few Posh reserves played against Villa in yesterday's friendly at London Road. According to the club, there's a mystery bug laying low some of the players & the Manager. Many P'boro' fans though reckon the playing staff have contracted Swine Flu from their recent training camp abroad.

Perhaps Swine Flu decimating playing squads explains Man C signing nine forwards.

Peterborough having a few players missing through rumoured illness is nothing new. When i used to go with my dad as a kid they'd seem to get a flu bug or something else going round quite often. with a few players missing out of some games. I think that was one of Barry Fry's most used excuses about players not playing. I think Leon Mckenzie used to either be injured or sick every 25 games when another payment to Palace was due and the club didnt have it.

As another who is 'at risk', I certainly want to know ANYTHING that is Swine Flu related as it could SAVE MY LIFE!!!..

Now there is a Swine Flu Agency, details should be much easier to find, the government leaflet that was delivered was USELESS.

I agree that normally, someone dying from flu wouldn't hit the headlines BUT Swine Flu KILLS many healthy people as well as unhealthy ones, that isn;t the case with normal Flu.

Swine Flu is completely different to normal Flu, it is 100 times more aggressive and is contracted in a different way and Tamiflu is completely different ot a normal Flu jab.

BCAGFC

When the vaccine is out at the end of September among others people with chronical diseases are first in line.

I don't worry that much myself but are concerned for my two daughters.

Could be wrong but I believe that is the tablets and even by the winter we will only have enough for half the population,and they can only be taken when you have it :yes: and they are useless if you are not infected;(infact I believe you can apply online soon, but you only get one lot with a ref number) most of deaths so far have been those who have underlying probs. don't think there is anything you can have to stop you getting it.

Contingency plans are already in place i.e insuring delivery of food supply to supermarkets,fuel supplies(panic buying) running only main city trains, wards set aside in hospitals etc, etc,

Dispite a prev posters comments that it wont affect him, it could well affect us all :w00t:

TamiFlu tablets cover your throat with a film that stops the bugs getting into your system, trouble is they only cover you for 1 day and they are extremely expensive to make.

And GPs have been told that if you have had a course of tablets (dispensed by them or from the agency) then you can't have anymore.

You can't atke them as a preventitive meassure.

BCAGFC

Guest brfc1883

Apparantly there was a major outbreak in Wembley, West London in May 2008. 40,000 Bristol City fans were pig sick!!

:innocent06:

Apparantly there was a major outbreak in Wembley, West London in May 2008. 40,000 Bristol City fans were pig sick!!

:innocent06:

And 35,000 get sick on the way back from Wembley in 2007, so sick that they were never seen near the minimal stadium again.

TamiFlu tablets cover your throat with a film that stops the bugs getting into your system, trouble is they only cover you for 1 day and they are extremely expensive to make.

And GPs have been told that if you have had a course of tablets (dispensed by them or from the agency) then you can't have anymore.

You can't atke them as a preventitive meassure.

BCAGFC

No offence intended but both this and your previous post is laughably inaccurate.

Gov facts today;

55,000 new cases in a week :noexpression:

19,000 to 65,000 expected yearly total deaths, compared to 12,000 normal flu :noexpression:

Its going to get worse before it gets better and its not winter yet.

As a thought and if football does go behind closed doors will ST`s get a refund? will there be any Wembley :noexpression:

Talking percentage the statistics tells 4 out 1 000 dies. That figure is probably far to high as it's based on reported cases and many people will not even have noticed they have been sick so let's say 1/1 000 actually dies. Many more people will get sick, 20-40 percent of the population, therfore your higher figure (19 000-65 000).

70 000 000 (Brits?) x 0.3 x 0.001= 21 000.

Dead or alive I'm coming over to watch Sheffield W (H) at the 31 st of October :yes:

Tommy

Do you get to watch a lot of city?

As another who is 'at risk', I certainly want to know ANYTHING that is Swine Flu related as it could SAVE MY LIFE!!!..

Now there is a Swine Flu Agency, details should be much easier to find, the government leaflet that was delivered was USELESS.

I agree that normally, someone dying from flu wouldn't hit the headlines BUT Swine Flu KILLS many healthy people as well as unhealthy ones, that isn;t the case with normal Flu.

Swine Flu is completely different to normal Flu, it is 100 times more aggressive and is contracted in a different way and Tamiflu is completely different ot a normal Flu jab.

BCAGFC

ummm in this country so far, very few healthy people have died. Less percentage wise than normal flu

Archived