IGNORED

Basso Reaction

Percy Parrot

273 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was wondering in very simplistic terms what people's reaction to Basso's transfer request is. I'm not going to use the Polls forum but perhaps we can keep this to one line answers rather than debate.

Usually my thought is that players come and go and I wouldn't blame any for leaving - it's up to them. On Basso I kind of feel the same and I can't suddenly dislike the guy - he's been awesome for us and been such a major part of the last few years...but like Gary I just feel disappointed.

So where are you?

- Angry: Basso is a traitor and I no longer like him

- Disappointed: Great servant to the club but hoped for more from him. With any luck something will change.

- Cool with it all: Totally up to him. He's done brilliantly, I still love him and wish him all the best. Hope to see him on Match of the Day next year.

Guest 21. Marcham

As many agree, he has been a fantastic servant to this club and you cant blame the lad for wanting to progress his career (however long is left of it) and play in the prem. Adebola moved for money and he didnt do half as much for this club as Basso did.

Atleast we have decent cover in goal and I feel Gerken can step up to the required standard for the coming season.

Guest Big Jon
:disapointed2se: at the timing of the transfer request sould have been sooner still we got Henderson and Gerkin pluse who ever Johnson brings in to replace him

• Admin

I'm angry but more for the selfish way Basso has gone about the whole thing. I still rate him as a very good Championship goalie (& if he wasn't then I suspect I'd care less) but it is my belief that he deliberately played the Weale situation to strengthen his hand in monetary negotiations with the club and as the club hasn't caved has thrown his toys out of his pram (again).

Guest purescience

I think him leaving now is best for both parties personally. He's getting on a bit, he wants to get a nice big payday and a shot at the big time before he retires, and having a younger keeper coming in with all the rest of the youth in our squad bodes very well for the future in my opinion.

If he wants to go, then its not good to stop him.

I always thought his kicking was rubbish, and caused a lot of problems in the team, but he was a great 'reaction' save keeper who saved us on several occasions.

I just wish we had kept Wheale.

All in all, move on get another keeper and forget him.

I'm somewhere between gutted and angry.

Yes he has been brilliant for this club, but the timing of this decision was extremely poor.

Add this to GJ's comments that his main motive was £££££££££££££ ! Although he always said he wanted prem footy,

and if he gets it, good luck to him I suppose.

it's been brewing, GJ was unhappy with some of his injury stunts and clearly Basso's ego has swelled a bit uncontrollably during his time, We all know GJ hates big personalities in his dressing room, and a combination of continued clashes and the club signing other keepers has brought this to a head.

Up to now Basso was happy because Weale has been constantly broken and Hendo not yet ready, but maybe he feels a bit of pressure from The Great Green Pickle and even young Hendo.

it happens - move on - and lets drop the religious nonsense.

Guest MaloneFM
it happens - move on - and lets drop the religious nonsense.

The BELIEVE stuff Anters? The pointing at the sky stuff? It's what we do, I mean they are going to write that on the roof of the new stand that probably won't get built.

My opinion is he was buggering the club about with signing his next contract, GJ lost patience and got the Pickleman in so toys went out of prams. Basso was being questioned concerning form and age towards the end of last season anyway.

But good luck to him, at 34 he'll need it.

Basso has improved into a very good quality Championship keeper in his time here and I have no animosity towards him. If he wants to try his luck elsewhere then that is up to him - I feel he might be making a mistake and will find that the grass is not greener elsewhere but good luck to him. However, and as usual, the forum seems to get polarised into the Basso was always useless and won't be missed camp and the Basso is one of the top ten keepers in the country, without any faults and a relegation scrap is now a certainty section - both of which are totally inaccurate in my view.

it's been brewing, GJ was unhappy with some of his injury stunts and clearly Basso's ego has swelled a bit uncontrollably during his time, We all know GJ hates big personalities in his dressing room, and a combination of continued clashes and the club signing other keepers has brought this to a head.

Up to now Basso was happy because Weale has been constantly broken and Hendo not yet ready, but maybe he feels a bit of pressure from The Great Green Pickle and even young Hendo.

Have you just made up a bunch of scenarios in your head? :D

Anyway, my personal feeling is I would like to hear what Basso has to say about the situation before casting judgement. It's always best to hear both sides of the story.

If he wants to go, then its not good to stop him.

I always thought his kicking was rubbish, and caused a lot of problems in the team, but he was a great 'reaction' save keeper who saved us on several occasions.

I just wish we had kept Wheale.

All in all, move on get another keeper and forget him.

Totally agree with this post.

Not too bothered about him going, and he was a bit of "drama queen" at times!

Time for someone else to become our goal-keeping hero!

If he gets the money he's after then good luck to him.

Can't say I'd be staying loyal either at 34, if I could find a better salary elsewhere.

That's the question though... Will he find a better salary? Apparently he was offered a pretty decent wage and clubs weren't exactly beating down the door for him previously.

That's the question though... Will he find a better salary? Apparently he was offered a pretty decent wage and clubs weren't exactly beating down the door for him previously.

It's his decision at the end of the day, if he loses out then he can only blame one person.

I was angry as hell when I heard the news and thought ABs timing stank, but have begun to look at things from another angle now.

Put yourself in Basso's place .......... he's 34 and has always said he wants a shot at the Prem. Most of us are already saying that several of our recent signings look like GJ has his eye on young players for the future and I reckon his plan is to make a serious push for the Prem in a couple of years, when the new ground is hopefully well on the way.

So where does that leave AB?

He's probably looked at the new signings and felt that a couple of years more in the CCC could be too long for him and even if we did make it in the end, at maybe 37 he'd probably be one who's offloaded and that would be the end of it for him. He's done a great job for this club and I'm certainly not going to start slagging him off for his shortcomings, because benefits of him in the side more than outweigh his faults IMHO. Let's be fair, if he was faultless he'd already be earning a fortune playing for one of the top Prem clubs anyway!

If he hasn't got a club lined up already, then he could be making a massive mistake, because he's now burned his bridges with GJ and I can't see any way back, even if a Prem club don't come in for him now.

It's going to be a sad way for a really popular character to be leaving the club, but this is work for him, where loyalty is to family, not the club and supporters, so we've just got to accept that and move on.

No big deal really, players come players go, just a shame this didn't happen sooner and Chris Weale could've stayed and been given the opportunity to show what he had.

Basso was sometimes brilliant and sometimes poor, playing in goal the buck stops with you.

I wish him well and hope we can find an adequate replacement.

One upside if he does move on will be the fact that we won't hear the 'Oh Basso' brigade piping up every time he gets near the ball, that became tiresome to say the least. Then again it wassimple and rolled off the tongue easily...Who's for a 'Oh Gerko' first home game?

Disappointed, but bordering on angry.

Badly let down the fans and his team mates by his appalling timing ... driven, seemingly, by his own self interest. Expected far better from him.

Totally messed our pre season up and risks c**king up our league start as well.

Nice payback for our support and the Club's over the last few years.

I'm somewhere between gutted and angry.

Yes he has been brilliant for this club, but the timing of this decision was extremely poor.

Add this to GJ's comments that his main motive was £££££££££££££ ! Although he always said he wanted prem footy,

and if he gets it, good luck to him I suppose.

But surely if it's prem footy he's after then he should stay precisely where he is.

I would have thought Basso would be the last one to be numbered among, "Ye of little faith"

Voted 'B'... if he wants to leave let him.

We'll find a replacement, Bristol City will continue and Basso can 'try his luck' finding a team to fulfill his ambitions - which will mean he most probably joins that long list of other ex-city players that tried this and failed. Our loss will be The Blue Square Premier leagues gain in a season or two.

I cant get my head around this. Why is he turning his back on the club ? It was stated that the contract for Basso was on the table in February and it would have made him the highest paid player at the club. He was advised by his agent to sign because it was such a good deal. So why has he not signed ? do you think he has been tapped up by another club (rumours of Stoke a while back) and promised riches he wouldn't get at BS3 and a nice hefty signing on fee ?

Guest red23

I'm in the disappointed camp but definately hope nothing changes. He's made his decision and i'll now be glad to see the back of him but will still remember the good time's and how he's served the club.

I've got no problem with hi feeling he can better himself and play at a higher level...but the timing of it has really pi$$ed me off :ranting:

Have posted my thoughts at length on another thread and won't repeat all that here, though I was amused to see this morning that GJ had said something last night that was almost a verbatim repeat of a comment I'd written earlier in the day. (And before somebody accuses me of having delusions of grandeur, no, I'm not of course suggesting GJ read it and was influenced by it, but it does tend to confirm Basso has burnt his boats with the manager. I am referring to the suggestion that Basso might spend next season watching rather than playing).

There are two quite distinct issues here that have tended to get blurred in some posts. One is the question of whether Basso is a good keeper. I think it's pretty clear that the answer is a qualified 'yes' - yes because of the fact that his positive contribution has overall outweighed his faults; qualified because he does have shortcomings and these are clearly reflected in the opinions that have been posted. It is a loss, but not a disastrous one from a strictly playing point of view. He is eminently replaceable.

The other, non-playing issue is rapidly becoming the more important, and therefore more debated: that is the point concerning his behaviour towards the club. The reaction of the manager and chairman tells you all you really need to know about that. It is very rare to see criticism of an individual player, even if it is couched in restrained and very professional language.

A totally cynical view would be that either Basso or his agent (or both) have realised that they have managed to see off the most direct threat to his position (Weale, who by the way can consider himself to have hard done here by to some extent) and sought to exploit that situation with the timing. In fact, one press report I have seen suggests that his agent may not be the culprit here, as it is claimed that he urged Basso to sign months ago. If this is true, then it is the player himself who is solely responsible for what has happened.

On your bike, Adriano, would seem to be the only sane response to that. He could be doing a lot of spectating in the next few months - and I don't foresee a stampede by Premier clubs to secure his services. A very regretable affair, and I think the player will ultimately be the one to regret it more than most.

I wish him all the best, I have some great memories of his time with us and he will be missed, one of the best shot stoppers I have ever seen in a City shirt and will be very hard to replace. He has / had a rapport with the fans that wont be matched by any other keeper, us in the East End singing his name when he came down our end of the ground and the fingers pointed to the sky always helped raise the atmosphere imo.

He is getting on abit and wants a crack at the Premier league and a chance to break into the Brazil squad, cant fault him for having ambition and the self - belief that he can do it. He is probably a bit miffed by GJ's comments about him at the end of last season as well which would have helped him make his mind up. I am not blaming him for the timing of this announcement, blame the club for not sorting his contract out or putting him on the transfer list earlier.

Gerken and Henderson can do a job for us without doubt - we had a dodgy keeper a few years back and did ok...

One thing I dont understand is the sudden love in for Weale. Yes he is a good keeper, but his injury record was / is appalling. There is no way we could rely on him for a season in goal...

One person who is upset is my 9 year old boy. He is a goal keeper and Basso is his idol...

Guest Redbarn
I would say disappointed - not the fact he's asked to go, as he has given us 3 or 4 good seasons, but the timing of it just a couple of weeks before the season. I also feel sorry for GJ who sounded stunned in his interview.

Does Christianity encourage greed?.....mmm, no I don't think so. think you should be reappraising your belief Adriano. :unsure:

I think I would get banned if I said what I really thought. Put it this way I never want to see the greedy **** in a Bristol City shirt ever again.

I have to say I'm disappointed. Angry? No, not really. Just very disappointed. Partly in him, partly the situation.

Gary has made it clear in interviews that the reason is money, and of course I'm sure that is a major part, but I also believe that Basso's long-held ambition to play in the Premier League played a part, too. Don't forget, GJ admitted his agent adviced him to take the deal in February. Ever since he joined, he's rambled on about being the first Brazilian goalkeeper in the Premier League. And he may now get close by becoming the first Brazillian goalkeeper to warm the bench at a Premier League club.

This ambition did always worry me into thinking that maybe he wouldn't hang about if we took too long to get there, and it looks like for Basso, three seasons in the Championship is too long. Which is what disappoints me about the situation.

I'm very frustrated that we let Chris Weale leave on a free when he could have been an excellent first choice next season, and the more people suggest it, the more I agree that Basso may have tried to play this situation to his advantage - I really hope that's not the case.

I don't agree with this concept that Basso is getting too old and injury prone. In less than four season with the club he has so far made 161 appearances, which is an average of forty a season. And he has only been injured on a few occasions. Hence why Weale became frustrated; even for those few games that Basso was out, he came straight back into the team.

So good luck to him. Maybe some desperate Premier League team will take a punt during the January window when they have injuries. But if he does get a move, I won't cheer him on as much as if he'd got it without the transfer request.

:disapointed2se:

Alot of comments about Weale. Are people forgetting how often he was injured?

Indeed and that the proven fact that he still isn't a proven championship GK seeing as he hardly played any games ( no need to go on about how he never got the chance) thats how it happend.

I will miss him but at the end of the day he can be replaced and it's his own choice if he wants to move on I don't personally think it's all about money but we won't hear his side until he's gone though.

Disappointed but I say good luck to him - it's a short career. The timing is poor but all good things come to an end.

Basso's been one of the true characters to play for this club...one of the stand-out City players of his era. At the end of the Wembley play-off final he came into the crowd and gave one of my sons (wearing a Brazilian flag) his boot - which will sit in its glass case on our bookshelf for many a year.

Basso may be gone but I hope his legacy will be the whole notion of "Always Believe"...which being City fans we struggle with....

...can't wait for his successor as the City motivator to emerge...good luck Adriano and thanks for some fantastic memories.

:Believe:

Have you just made up a bunch of scenarios in your head? :D

Anyway, my personal feeling is I would like to hear what Basso has to say about the situation before casting judgement. It's always best to hear both sides of the story.

I only based my thoughts on the published news stories over the last 2 seasons, quotes from our manager re Basso and the the blindingly obvious, but its Ok by me if you want to wait to hear from the god botherer.

Archived