IGNORED

Same Old, Same Old.

screech

GJ has learned exactly nothing from last season, how many more times are we going to throw a victory away at the death.

Gary, stop ******G about trying to defend a lead and get on with the business of winning the game. A point would have been great going into the game but when you are in control of the game at 2 nil up and take off your best players on the day, what do you expect.

The fans wont be so forgiving this season if this still keeps happening.

GJ has learned exactly nothing from last season, how many more times are we going to throw a victory away at the death.

Gary, stop ******G about trying to defend a lead and get on with the business of winning the game. A point would have been great going into the game but when you are in control of the game at 2 nil up and take off your best players on the day, what do you expect.

You've got to be joking?!

Think you should go see someone about your negativity. Johnson can't help the players or the ref when we run 6 mins into stoppage time and concede a penalty.

You sir, are a tool of a Gas nature.

The fans won't be so forgiving?! Since when were you a ambassidor and knew what we all thought, I for one am not pointing the finger at Johnson for one second. Get a life.

Think you should go see someone about your negativity. Johnson can't help the players or the ref when we run 6 mins into stoppage time and concede a penalty.

The fans won't be so forgiving?! Since when were you a ambassidor and knew what we all thought, I for one am not pointing the finger at Johnson for one second. Get a life.

Actually, I agree with Screech regarding Johnson's habit of trying to sit on a lead. Johnson frustrates the hell out of me - did so all last season. Why can't we ever take a game by the scruff of the neck and finish with aplomb?

And there wasn't 6 minutes of stoppage time, the pen was given after 49.5 minutes of elapsed time - that's not the same as the referee's time, who is the ONLY judge on how much time is remaining. Get over the sour grapes of the penalty and see the game as it really was.

Furthermore, the personal attack in your post is unwarranted and unacceptable. Attack his post by all means, but leave the personal slurs out of it.

Guest iWurzel
Actually, I agree with Screech regarding Johnson's habit of trying to sit on a lead. Johnson frustrates the hell out of me - did so all last season. Why can't we ever take a game by the scruff of the neck and finish with aplomb?

And there wasn't 6 minutes of stoppage time, the pen was given after 49.5 minutes of elapsed time - that's not the same as the referee's time, who is the ONLY judge on how much time is remaining. Get over the sour grapes of the penalty and see the game as it really was.

Furthermore, the personal attack in your post is unwarranted and unacceptable. Attack his post by all means, but leave the personal slurs out of it.

Given that the ref gave a penalty after the 4 indicated minutes had elapsed, I think people have every right to feel aggreived.

Especially considering the ball wouldn't have even been at the end of the pitch had the referee not blocked Elliot's clearance. Normally when ref's do that they'll do anything they can to return the advantage to the team in question.

As other people have said, I'm sure this will even itself out over the season, and we will get a fair share of decisions that are questionable at best.

I too also agree with Screech. GJ made subs that affected the game in a negative way for us, this happend a lot last season when we could not hold on to a lead. GJ is the manager the buck stops with him.

There have been occasions when Gary had made subs which had a positive outcome on the result and then he is very willing to take credit for this on the media.

The team must learn to play football when we have a lead and not just try and defend and hope for the best. This seems to be our tactics so its up to GJ to change this policy and create a winning mentality not just a "not losing mentality" which at the momment the players and also the fans have got.

Given that the ref gave a penalty after the 4 indicated minutes had elapsed, I think people have every right to feel aggreived.

Especially considering the ball wouldn't have even been at the end of the pitch had the referee not blocked Elliot's clearance. Normally when ref's do that they'll do anything they can to return the advantage to the team in question.

As other people have said, I'm sure this will even itself out over the season, and we will get a fair share of decisions that are questionable at best.

If the referee deems there is 4minutes and 59 seconds of injury time to be played, the board will show FOUR minutes MINIMUM.

You play to the final whistle, and frankly it doesn't matter whether it's the starting eleven, or the starting eleven with the three subs that came on, they should be able to defend a 2nil lead.

The ref wasn't at fault here, and you can't blame him for the rebound (which obviously was frustrating for us). However, we can give him grief if the penalty was deemed a harsh decision.

As for Gary Johnson, I do get frustrated the way he tries to cling on for three points when we're leading with about 20minutes to go. It basically invites the Alamo!

Muppet.

Before the match I would have snatched a point happily but GJ did let us sit on a lead. We were dominating Preston after the second goal and if we had carried on playing as we were we would have probably come out with a 3-0 win. Instead GJ got the players to sit back and then after 5-10 mins of basically just trying to get rid of the ball rather than moving it upfield taking the stress off the defence and perhaps giving us a goal to finish the game off we just got rid of it only for Preston to put more pressure on us.

You cannot keep giving the ball away with a 1 goal advantage and when we conceeded we should have been looking to play possesion football and getting up the field. Your opponents can't score if they can't get the ball, unfortunately we just kept giving the ball away.

The ball was there for a corner earlier than that wasn't it? It would be obscene to blow for full-time when a team is in such an attacking position.

You also have to remember by the Laws of Association Football it is a minimum of 4 minutes.

Which is (surely this would be obvious) the wrong thing to do. The referee is part of the pitch, they shouldn't try to even things up if the ball hits them.

The ball was there for a corner earlier than that wasn't it? It would be obscene to blow for full-time when a team is in such an attacking position.

You also have to remember by the Laws of Association Football it is a minimum of 4 minutes.

Which is (surely this would be obvious) the wrong thing to do. The referee is part of the pitch, they shouldn't try to even things up if the ball hits them.

So going on that reasoning if the ball had ricochet into the net a goal would stand would it.

No, I am not joking, I opened with he has learned nothing from last season, we were winning a game and threw it away in the final minutes, this happened 6 or 7 times last season and we haven't learned from it. Where is the joke?

Yes you can, the problem was we invited pressure on to ourselves by changing the side, we were comfortable in the game and should stick to the bare minimum changes if they are necesssary (i.e injury or fatigue) but none of this applied or was obvious and certainly not stated afterwards. Why do it when we were cruising to victory, understandably if we were chasing the game and needed to shake it up a bit.

Thank you for your input.

You forgot to end it Always Concede Believe!

Let's get one thing straight, did we sit back with the sustitutios? NO

Skuse for Hartley makes sense

Williams for Clarkson makes sense

Haynes for Sproule makes sense

How anyone can say these three subs were defensive is beyond me, did anyone actually think it could have been because they threw 4 players up top.

New season and the same load of whinging from our fans, should I be surprised - knowing this forum NO I shouldn't.....

Why make changes at all, where was the urgency when we are on top? In fact we were hitting them just fine on the break and if they were throwing players forward we would have been more likely to nick another one surely

You say the same whinging, well if the same things keep happening I feel I have every right to whinge, but lets ignore it eh, there obviously isn't a problem there.

Guest churchill gaffer

Ignore the others.

I absolutely agree with everything you say!

And I don't care what anybody says.

This is how I definately feel.

I will be with the Club following them until I die. Managers and others will come and go! IMO, IMO!

So going on that reasoning if the ball had ricochet into the net a goal would stand would it.

I imagine it would. It would be up to the scoring team to decide whether to let the other team go up the other end and score, same as when teams score accidentally when giving the ball back.

Ignore the others.

I absolutely agree with everything you say!

And I don't care what anybody says.

This is how I definately feel.

I will be with the Club following them until I die. Managers and others will come and go! IMO, IMO!

So by this (and the countless other snipes you constantly make) we can assume you don't rate GJ then?

Were you at the game? Have you watched the World highlights?

I imagine it would. It would be up to the scoring team to decide whether to let the other team go up the other end and score, same as when teams score accidentally when giving the ball back.

OK i can live with that, the other scenario would be if a goal bound effort hit the ref and stayed out, no goal, lifes a bitch sometimes.

Let's get one thing straight, did we sit back with the sustitutios? NO

Skuse for Hartley makes sense - Hartley was running the midfield and pushing forward. Skuse is more defensive and even ended up in our box the majority of the time

Williams for Clarkson makes sense Bringing off a goalscorer for a midfielder makes sence if you want to play a little more defensive.

Haynes for Sproule makes sense Haynes who was actually threatening with his pace for Ivan "where do I go?" Sproule was the worst substitution imo as Sproule is useless and he proved

How anyone can say these three subs were defensive is beyond me, did anyone actually think it could have been because they threw 4 players up top.

New season and the same load of whinging from our fans, should I be surprised - knowing this forum NO I shouldn't.....

Whinging? You mean we should be happy rather than irritated at giving up 2 points on opening day which could prove to be very important in the long run to whether we get promoted or miss out on a play off spot?

hmmm :disapointed2se:

Hartley was the one players substitution that made the difference. He was running the show and it was a surprise to see him go off. No disrespect to Skuse but he should not have got on.

But it wasn't simply the substitutions that cost the two points. The referee's mystery added time was the telling factor.

Still.. a point Deepdale is a good point imo. PNE will be there or there abouts come April/ May.

Hartley was the one players substitution that made the difference. He was running the show and it was a surprise to see him go off. No disrespect to Skuse but he should not have got on.

But it wasn't simply the substitutions that cost the two points. The referee's mystery added time was the telling factor.

Still.. a point Deepdale is a good point imo. PNE will be there or there abouts come April/ May.

As usual I will get shot down for saying this (again) but Skuse quite simply is not good enough to take us forward to the next stage, ie: chasing hard for promotion......and he certainly is no replacement for Hartley who is lightyears ahead of him in footballing terms.

2 nil up and cruising, absolutely no need to make any changes......bad bad decision by GJ. Lets hope he learns his lesson, fast!

Guest ashtonyate
Whinging? You mean we should be happy rather than irritated at giving up 2 points on opening day which could prove to be very important in the long run to whether we get promoted or miss out on a play off spot?

hmmm :disapointed2se:

You are so right the year we came up another couple of points and we would have been up in the Premier League we might have been back in the CC now but with a lot more money.

Every point matters at the end of the season and it was two points lost not one gained at Deepdale in my opinion.

Agree with you on JR - (a legend in the making?) ran the show for us - at last we have a player who can do that! = and also a forward in Haines who is a constant pain the oppos arse just because of his pace if nothing else

But it was the subs that made the difference - not the additional time....

Preston players said so themselves in interviews on BBC Lancs after game.....they admitted that at 2 down they were beaten then we made the changes and they threw on a couple of big'uns and suddenly they had more room & the whole thing turned on its head

Not saying we should not have made the subs (hindsight is a wonderful thing) but the quality of the subs needs to be better.....the ones who come on should be capable of seeing the game out as well as those who come off

as far as I am aware, one of the subs, sproule, broke away and would have set up a 3rd if he could actually cross or pass a ball, so then I suppose thats GJs fault that he didnt deliver a good enough pass? As someone said, usually if a ref accidentally gets involved, then in the spirit of the game, he will usually give a free kick or something to the opposite team to compensate them for it. In this case, his getting involved with the clearance should have meant that he was looking to give us a free kick, given the amount of pushing that goes on in penalty areas these days that shouldnt have been too hard to arrange. Obviously he gave them a penalty instead, so we have every right to feel hard done by.

Some observations:

1) we managed to earn (regardless of manner) a very good point at a side who reached the play offs last season and who will be aiming to do so again this year. Being two nil up and only getting a point is dissapointing yes, but the fact we are able to have been two nil up shows a number of positives.

2) quite how 'like for like' substitutions can be seen as 'negative defensive substitutions' is slightly odd, we didnt bring on extra defenders did we? or put loads of men back formation wise? There have been claims of 'defending a lead, like last season', which is quite rediculous considering that as soon as we had conceeded, from the restart at 2-1 we immediately from the kick off attacked the Preston goal mouth which personally i felt was a little 'gung ho'. Even the commentator on world made the comment 'City seem to believe their best form of defense is attack', sproule should have either scored or squared for williams to score in an other late attack to make it 3-1.

3) The fact that people continue to forget how thin the lines are between success and failure in football continues to amaze me. Had the ref not given a dubious penatly in 'extra' extra time, or if sproule had finished the game for us as he should have, then this forum would have turned 180 degrees. The chances were just as likely for the 3-1 as they were for anything else. But it is sport and some times the fine lines dont always go your way, you can't throw your toys out when this happens. GJ was so nearly a genius, as skuse made an indredible tackle to deny a preston striker a goal inside the 6 yard box in stoppage time, had we held on that substitution could have been touted as 'match winning', however it didnt pan out like that, as sport is open to the element of luck or bad luck, and therefore GJ has become a villain. I would suggest some people take a close look at the nature of sport and its occasional randomness before they decide on spouting foul words about our manager who can not change the nature of luck through his tactical endeavours.

4) we are 6th and undefeated so far this season.......smile!!!!!

Some observations:

2) quite how 'like for like' substitutions can be seen as 'negative defensive substitutions' is slightly odd, we didnt bring on extra defenders did we? or put loads of men back formation wise? There have been claims of 'defending a lead, like last season', which is quite rediculous considering that as soon as we had conceeded, from the restart at 2-1 we immediately from the kick off attacked the Preston goal mouth which personally i felt was a little 'gung ho'. Even the commentator on world made the comment 'City seem to believe their best form of defense is attack', sproule should have either scored or squared for williams to score in an other late attack to make it 3-1.

Well is just not about the subsitutions it is about our tactics when we go a goal or 2 up. We clearly sit back and try to defend our lead last seasson we conceaded so many times in the last 10 when we were leading.

But also why take off a player who was by the sound of it was MOM I just don't understand that decision no doubt GJ will say he picked up a knock.

Guest Barman
Some observations:

1) we managed to earn (regardless of manner) a very good point at a side who reached the play offs last season and who will be aiming to do so again this year. Being two nil up and only getting a point is dissapointing yes, but the fact we are able to have been two nil up shows a number of positives.

3) The fact that people continue to forget how thin the lines are between success and failure in football continues to amaze me. Had the ref not given a dubious penatly in 'extra' extra time, or if sproule had finished the game for us as he should have, then this forum would have turned 180 degrees. The chances were just as likely for the 3-1 as they were for anything else. But it is sport and some times the fine lines dont always go your way, you can't throw your toys out when this happens. GJ was so nearly a genius, as skuse made an indredible tackle to deny a preston striker a goal inside the 6 yard box in stoppage time, had we held on that substitution could have been touted as 'match winning', however it didnt pan out like that, as sport is open to the element of luck or bad luck, and therefore GJ has become a villain. I would suggest some people take a close look at the nature of sport and its occasional randomness before they decide on spouting foul words about our manager who can not change the nature of luck through his tactical endeavours.

4) we are 6th and undefeated so far this season.......smile!!!!!

Top, top post, particularly point 3. It's nice to see someone with a sense of perspective on here for a change. Despite the disappointing outcome I'm actually hugely encouraged by the start we've made and by the impact the new signings (ALL of them) have made. We were desperately unlucky on Saturday - that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Archived