IGNORED

Southgate

Guest westy

Ok - timings a bit poor but,

I've been saying for a few days now that when he gets sacked and has some time off he could then be an ideal selection for SL if and when GJ leaves

Southgate's got a lot of time off to look forward to then. Several years at least!

you obviously haven't been watching many performances lately

I've been saying for a few days now that when he gets sacked and has some time off he could then be an ideal selection for SL if and when GJ leaves

What a strange post :noexpression: , firstly, we have a very good manager,secondly, Southgate isnt.

absolutely unbelievable.

not really

Gary Johnson Vs Gareth Southgate

compare their CV's

only one result

don't mislead the thread as an Johnson OUT post because it's not but to consider GJ as irreplaceable is stupid

not really

compare their CV's

only one result

don't mislead the thread as an Johnson OUT post because it's not but to consider GJ as irreplaceable is stupid

Haha! this gets funnier!

What has Southgate acheived as a manager? 1 relegation... anything else?

There's certainly an argument for replacing GJ if we ever got promoted as you replace parts not good enough before you use them not afterwards. We'd quite rightly dump 70% of the playing squad as no way in hell they would cope. With a manager it's hard to say, but there's an argument.

But to replace him with a proven failure in Southgate. No, utterly stupid.

But i'd swap their academy guys with ours in a heartbeat.

not really

compare their CV's

only one result

What you should be more worried about would be if Johnson was being touted by Middlesbourgh.

not really

compare their CV's

only one result

:noexpression: i had to look at the date then i honestly thought it was april the first

people gave gj a hard time for wasting money on trundle and styvar what would this forum be like if he spent 15m+ on that useless lump alfonso alves

Southgate is not a failure just read some of what their chairman has to say about him

the fact is he is paying the price for falling attendances (sound familier??)

Sorry mate but as I understand it Southgate, who seems to be a good bloke, is yet to qualify properly as a coach (certainly unqualified to manage a Premier League team) . Yet another example of an England international who has not made it in management. Whereas Millen and Johnson are highly qualified (Millen top in hIs group). So on experience and qualifications our management team is much more superior.

Edited by southvillekiddy

not really

compare their CV's

only one result

I would love to know your result after comparing their cv's!! This has to be a wind up surely. As above Trundle and Styvar didnt make the grade but you also have to look at other signings that have been magnificent - sorry going off topic a bit.

not really

compare their CV's

only one result

Ok!

Gary Johnson - Cambridge United (Assitant manager) - 3 promotions, did great job for Latvia still treated as a hero over there, Yeovil Town - FA Trophy, Conference Winners, league 2 winners, Bristol City - promotion from league one.

Southgate - 12th place Premier League finish, 13th place Premier League finish, 19th (and relegated) Premier League finish

Guest Ashton Great
Southgate is not a failure just read some of what their chairman has to say about him

the fact is he is paying the price for falling attendances (sound familier??)

That coincides nicely with our highest gate of the season last night then...

Sorry mate but as I understand Southgate is yet to qualify properly as a coach (certainly unqualified to manage a Premier League team) whereas Millen and Johnson are highly qualified. So on experience and qualifications our management team is much more superior.

finally a good reply - This is the point that is open to discussion and debate do you take a successful player and manager with Premier League experience and used to dealing with egos etc... or someone who has worked up through the ranks succesfully or someone with flare like martinez

It's all a matter of opinion

finally a good reply - This is the point that is open to discussion and debate do you take a successful player and manager with Premier League experience and used to dealing with egos etc... or someone who has worked up through the ranks succesfully or someone with flare like martinez

I've yet to have a "good reply" from you. What has Southgate acheived as a manager?? for him to have a better CV than johnson??

That coincides nicely with our highest gate of the season last night then...

our lowest attendance last season was higher than last nights :noexpression:

but when southgate took over from mclaren boro were a top half prem side that made it to the uefa cup final and still had money to spend but season after season they got worse which ending up with them getting relegated last season now there in the brown smelly stuff financially i cant see how that makes southgate successful i really dont

Guest Eastend Fan
What you should be more worried about would be if Johnson was being touted by Middlesbourgh.

Deffo agree with this comment, I certainly would not want to loose Johnson at any time soon. He's done an amazing job for us. Keep him as long as we can I say.

so following most of the logic on here when we get promoted to the Premier League we don't take players who have competed in prem but fallen by league position? Only people who have continued to progress.

sorry but I think the Premier League is in a different world of class than anything else

so following most of the logic on here when we get promoted to the Premier League we don't take players who have competed in prem but fallen by league position? Only people who have continued to progress.

sorry but I think the Premier League is in a different world of class than anything else

so on that basis shearer and adams are better managers than gj because they have managed in the prem

The timing's particularly bad when you consider that Southgate was sacked because of the team's overall performance and the paying public's reaction to that. Whatever next, touting Roy Keane as our next manager when he eventually gets the boot?!

Guest Ashton Great
our lowest attendance last season was higher than last nights :noexpression:

Which has been explained countless times on here by the drop off of glory (prem) hunting ST holders, and the credit crunch...

Some people on here need spoon feeding:

Southgate - Played in prem and international level - Managed in prem

Johnson - Played lower league - Managed lower league

Martinez has a much worse management record than GJ so on otib logic Wigan have made a big mistake - no way in my book going to be a world class manager

My opinion is inline with Steve Gibson's, can't believe so many of you are so short sighted

Which has been explained countless times on here by the drop off of glory (prem) hunting ST holders, and the credit crunch...

total balls - next season we will have another drop in ST's (Yes you heard it here first!!) what will be the excuse then

Martinez has a much worse management record than GJ so on otib logic Wigan have made a big mistake - no way in my book going to be a world class manager

My opinion is inline with Steve Gibson's, can't believe so many of you are so short sighted

haha this has gotta to be a wind up!

just because he managed in the prem doesnt make him a good manager, he took a decent Boro team gradually down the league to relegation.

what about Tony Adams then? has exact the same experience as Southgate

you cant just cherry pick your stats gj has international experience and did a pretty damm good job at latvia aswell

Yes, but he took a Premier League team from being a good team into a relegated one within a couple of years. Look at last year's Premier League - do you think anyone would have predicted Boro to go down at the start of the season? He needs to take responsibility for that. His managerial career - so far - has been a failure. Johnson's has been a success.

Guest lifelong
not really

compare their CV's

only one result

On that basis then you`d rather have Steve Mclaren than GJ as he was far more successful than Southgate at Middlesborough.

God help us if there`s any more fans like you out there

By your reconing then Southgate and Boro should already be promoted because he is and Boro are, world class and far far better than Gary Johnson and Bristol City.

I hope this post covers a few replies

Keane - NO - mental problems

Shearer - YES - great expereince great future

McClaren - NO - never liked him umbrella says it all

Adams - NO - would be a good coach though

Martinez - YES - great flare great future

Southgate - YES - great experience great future

Johnson - YES - although needs to improve

dont know where to start with that!!! brilliant

I like the idea of this. Cryptic insults. How about 4 Down: Slim Gales (1,5,3) for suspected contributions from the other mob?

Not very good at cryptics - but I SMELL GAS.

(can't work out Cheese's though...)

edit

based on westy's logic , WHEN we get promotion to the premiershit, then we should get that nice man Billy Davies as manager - after all he has a whole seasons experience with Derby in the Prem.

Edited by easton boy

I've actually laughed quite a lot at this thread.

You've stated Gareth Southgate and Alan Shearer to have better pedigrees than Gary Johnson. You've also stated that Southgate (so did Shearer) played a good standard of Premier League football and International football which means he is better than GJ as a manager.. Where is your evidence to suggest this?

Southgate took over a decent Middlesbrough side who I recall had, the year before, won the Carling Cup and dropped their position by a few each year before eventually getting them relegated last season. If it wasn't for the likes of Adam Johnson this season they wouldn't be as high as they are. You think of the amount he's scored for them and the amount of points that he has won them.

Shearer took over a troubled Newcastle and, in his defence, has little time to establish himself as a Premier League manager. But he was unable to save the 'mighty' toon from relegation. His only experience is that of being manager of a relegated side.

Gary Johnson took over a City team struggling at the time in League 1 and in 2 seasons led us to promotion to the Championship. He nearly took us to the Premier League in one season of being in the CCC and he's led us to be a well-established Championship club who are respected by many. Looking at GJ's other experience in management such as promotions with Cambridge as assistant manager and as manager as Yeovil and his International experience with Latvia, his experience is much greater than the other two.

Yes, Southgate was an etablished Premier League footballer and did well at International level and so was Shearer. But just because GJ wasn't a top league player or international does not mean they are better managers. You only have to look at others such as John Barnes (a brilliant player, useless manager) and Sir Alex (poor player, brilliant manager) to suggest this.

I am convinced you are a gash-head on a wind up.......your posting is just too incredulous to believe for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:disapointed2se:

Has any body started selling "Johnson is God" T-Shirts yet??

It's a matter of opinion I like Southgate and think he will be one of the top english managers in the future, I also like GJ and think he is a good manager however I feel that GJ has taken us as far as he can (as pointed out on numerous threads about his limitations) hence would like a manager with Premier League experience. I do not accept Southgate has failed at middlesborough you've just got to read some of Gibson's statements to understand it wasn't the easiest job in the world.

Anyway time will tell, lets see where Southgate is and GJ is in 3-5 years. My guess is Southgate will be managing in Premier League and GJ will be Championship / League 1

p.s. I think GJ has done a good job but could always be better, I attribute our success to SL mainly not GJ

It's a matter of opinion I like Southgate and think he will be one of the top english managers in the future, I also like GJ and think he is a good manager however I feel that GJ has taken us as far as he can (as pointed out on numerous threads about his limitations) hence would like a manager with Premier League experience. I do not accept Southgate has failed at middlesborough you've just got to read some of Gibson's statements to understand it wasn't the easiest job in the world.

Anyway time will tell, lets see where Southgate is and GJ is in 3-5 years. My guess is Southgate will be managing in Premier League and GJ will be Championship / League 1

p.s. I think GJ has done a good job but could always be better, I attribute our success to SL mainly not GJ

Any chance you could tell me what southgate has acheived to have a better CV than Gary Johnson?

I dont think you are understanding what people are saying... Premier League Experience yes he does have but you fail to explain exactly what he has done that has been of a positive outcome at Boro!

GJ Has International Experience surely in your eyes that makes him the next england manager?

I would be willing to put all of your pocket money on the fact that southgate will NEVER have as good a CV as GJ.

Timing is indeed poor Westy - GJ is fireproof, we have just won, and sit 3 points off top..

Also - there are better managers around than GJ but Gareth Southgate isn't one of them.

We all surely love Steve Lansdowne, but Boro's chairman has to be the most patient boss in football..

We all surely love Steve Lansdowne, but Boro's chairman has to be the most patient boss in football..

Indeed, he employed Bryan Robson for 7 years!

Timing is indeed poor Westy - GJ is fireproof, we have just won, and sit 3 points off top..

Also - there are better managers around than GJ but Gareth Southgate isn't one of them.

Obviously people don't take into account the first 70 mins of a game & 3 formation changes

There are lots of better managers but how many would end up at the gate? - just like players not the easiest to get top people

If GJ was as great as everyone is making out why in the hell is Martinez at Wigan and not GJ - must have been on the shortlist

I take your point that you don't think Southgate is one of them though - time will tell

I didnt know SL took them all for training during the week and then picked the team for the weekend, I bet GJ gets pissed right off on a sat with SL phoning down to him all game telling him the tatics and subs to use...