IGNORED

Who Has Impressed You The Most So Far....

Tim S

With the season a quarter of the way through already, I was just wondering which players are starting to show their weight in gold and which players might not be impressing so much.

If the season was to end today and I had to put forward my vote for a player of the season there are a couple of contenders.

Paul Hartley - he has been massive for us in midfield this season so far, bringing some vital experience to an otherwise relatively young set of midfielders. Many of our good moves go through him and he makes some vital tackles at the heart of midfield and is always encouraging the other players and often rallying the crowd too. I think had he been here a bit longer he would surely be wearing the captains armband because he seems to be doing the job of a captain when out on the pitch and he clearly has the respect of the other players around him. He always reminds me of the player that Tommy Doherty should have become.

Nicky Maynard - in his first season with us he struggled to get the goals but was always working extremely hard, especially off the ball but his strength often let him down. Other defenders would often shrug him off the ball meaning his chances were limited. He looks like this is an area of his game he has clearly identified as a weakness and has worked on it and this season we are starting to see why he is worth the £2.25 million that City paid for him. He has not just scored some cracking goals so far but has all round improved on his play from last season, especially his strength, where last season he would have been forced off the ball - this season he has beat the defender for strength and gone on to score from it.

Most improved player - again there are a couple of contenders but for me I think it has to be Cole Skuse. Similar to Maynard, I think he sometimes slightly lacked a bit of strength in midfield, it can get quite physical out there at times and Cole just seemed to lack a bit of toughness but this season he seems less afraid to be get stuck in a bit more and is growing in confidence with every game as his goal against Peterborough showed. I think playing alongside Paul Hartley has helped him too. Last season he was a bench player, there for back up, but this season he is one of our main players and its all because he has improved so much from last season.

Most disappointed with...... There are a few players who I have been disappointed with this season so far. Adriano Basso and the contract saga that is running on and on is very disappointing. Without hearing both sides of the story its hard for me to instantly point the finger of blame at Basso as there might be something going on that we dont know about. But from the outside it does seem like he is being very stubborn by not signing what is bound to be a good deal on the table from City.

Im also very disappointed with Marvin Elliott this season. In our first season in the Championship he was head and shoulders above many other players as our star man. He was massive for us in midfield and without him our season wouldnt have been as successful as it was. Last season he had several average games but was still quite a big player for us. Sadly though, this season for some reason he seems a shadow of the player we have seen over the last couple of seasons. While he still remains a quality player, he just doesnt seem to be getting stuck in like he has been over the last couple of years. He is having very average games, some of his passing is getting sloppy and his all round play just doesnt seem 100% and I have to say that against Plymouth we didnt miss him at all. I have no doubt that he hasnt changed as a player and the quality is still there, but for me he just hasnt quite got going this season.

Just wondering then who agrees with me or if you have different opinions????

So who would get your vote then so far in the following.....

BEST PLAYER SO FAR -

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER -

MOST DISAPPOINTED WITH.....

With the season a quarter of the way through already, I was just wondering which players are starting to show their weight in gold and which players might not be impressing so much.

If the season was to end today and I had to put forward my vote for a player of the season there are a couple of contenders.

Paul Hartley - he has been massive for us in midfield this season so far, bringing some vital experience to an otherwise relatively young set of midfielders. Many of our good moves go through him and he makes some vital tackles at the heart of midfield and is always encouraging the other players and often rallying the crowd too. I think had he been here a bit longer he would surely be wearing the captains armband because he seems to be doing the job of a captain when out on the pitch and he clearly has the respect of the other players around him. He always reminds me of the player that Tommy Doherty should have become.

Nicky Maynard - in his first season with us he struggled to get the goals but was always working extremely hard, especially off the ball but his strength often let him down. Other defenders would often shrug him off the ball meaning his chances were limited. He looks like this is an area of his game he has clearly identified as a weakness and has worked on it and this season we are starting to see why he is worth the £2.25 million that City paid for him. He has not just scored some cracking goals so far but has all round improved on his play from last season, especially his strength, where last season he would have been forced off the ball - this season he has beat the defender for strength and gone on to score from it.

Agree with these choices but I would add Deano Gerken to your shortlist - brought in as back-up but already proving that he is just as good a keeper as Basso. Two saves against Peterboro were outstanding (1 in each half).

Well_red

I'd struggle to pick different players than you elfmud though I think Gerken is worth a mention, he's looked quite at home and if he improves with Naylor's coaching over time he'll be exceptional as he's still young.

Perhaps Blackman was the most disappointing but yes, Elliott's far below the high standards he'd previously set himself.

I hope Cole Skuse continues to improve, he's now producing the ability we've seen in flashes a little more consistently and growing in confidence and influence. Long may it continue.

Best player - Maynard/Gerken/Nyatanga/Skuse(flip a coin for me)

Most Improved - Can't disagree with the improvements as mentioned above re: Maynard - he is a LOT stronger this season and also more willing to have a pop from distance - which has obviously reaped its rewards.

Disappointed Player - Considering his pre-season game at Ag with Ajax, I would definately have to say Sno(really don't understand the love-in that a LOT of posters have with him at the moment).

edit - to those posters who are suggesting McCombe - disappointment surely indicates a level of expectation before the season started - and most of our expectations of McCombe would have been fairly low(to put it mildly)

I've been impressed with Danny Hanyes.

Hartley, Maynard & Nyatanga etc have probabaly done better, but I expected them to do well....

When Haynes signed I read alot about him having 'no end product' (oh no another sproule?!) from ipswich fans, some of which said he had a attitude...

But It could'nt have been further from the truth....

He seems to use his pace really well and knows how to use it alot better than spoule - works very hard closing down defenders non stop and seems to be building a rapport with the fans, particularly in the EE.

Cant speak highly enough of him

I've been impressed with Danny Hanyes.

Hartley, Maynard & Nyatanga etc have probabaly done better, but I expected them to do well....

When Haynes signed I read alot about him having 'no end product' (oh no another sproule?!) from ipswich fans, some of which said he had a attitude...

But It could'nt have been further from the truth....

He seems to use his pace really well and knows how to use it alot better than spoule - works very hard closing down defenders non stop and seems to be building a rapport with the fans, particularly in the EE.

Cant speak highly enough of him

Riaz would most like to go out on a date with......... :noexpression:

Guest Eastend Fan

Most improved player - again there are a couple of contenders but for me I think it has to be Cole Skuse. Similar to Maynard, I think he sometimes slightly lacked a bit of strength in midfield, it can get quite physical out there at times and Cole just seemed to lack a bit of toughness but this season he seems less afraid to be get stuck in a bit more and is growing in confidence with every game as his goal against Peterborough showed. I think playing alongside Paul Hartley has helped him too. Last season he was a bench player, there for back up, but this season he is one of our main players and its all because he has improved so much from last season.

Most disappointed with...... There are a few players who I have been disappointed with this season so far. Adriano Basso and the contract saga that is running on and on is very disappointing. Without hearing both sides of the story its hard for me to instantly point the finger of blame at Basso as there might be something going on that we dont know about. But from the outside it does seem like he is being very stubborn by not signing what is bound to be a good deal on the table from City.

Im also very disappointed with Marvin Elliott this season. In our first season in the Championship he was head and shoulders above many other players as our star man. He was massive for us in midfield and without him our season wouldnt have been as successful as it was. Last season he had several average games but was still quite a big player for us. Sadly though, this season for some reason he seems a shadow of the player we have seen over the last couple of seasons. While he still remains a quality player, he just doesnt seem to be getting stuck in like he has been over the last couple of years. He is having very average games, some of his passing is getting sloppy and his all round play just doesnt seem 100% and I have to say that against Plymouth we didnt miss him at all. I have no doubt that he hasnt changed as a player and the quality is still there, but for me he just hasnt quite got going this season.

Just wondering then who agrees with me or if you have different opinions????

BEST PLAYER SO FAR -

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER -

I think Nyatanga and Gerken need a mention in Best player of the season so far. They have both been rocks at the back, especially Nyatanga against Plymouth on Tuesday. Showed almost impossible to get past and almost netted one with his head. As for Gerken probabily one of my favourate players in the team. I was in shock when he reached down and saved a shot from close range against Peterborough. Great player.

All other decisions I agree with you.

Paul Hartley is our best player but Dean Gerken has impressed me the most because he came from Colchester Reserves clearly unfit by our (or Stuart Naylor's!!) standards (anyone who watched him warm up at Cheltenham in pre-season will know what I mean) and yet he looks like a Goalkeeper who is not only performing well in the Championship but may well find himself leaving it in the next couple of seasons, one way or the other, to play at a higher level.

Best player - Maynard/Gerken/Nyatanga/Skuse(flip a coin for me)

Most Improved - Can't disagree with the improvements as mentioned above re: Maynard - he is a LOT stronger this season and also more willing to have a pop from distance - which has obviously reaped its rewards.

Disappointed Player - Considering his pre-season game at Ag with Ajax, I would definately have to say Sno(really don't understand the love-in that a LOT of posters have with him at the moment).

edit - to those posters who are suggesting McCombe - disappointment surely indicates a level of expectation before the season started - and most of our expectations of McCombe would have been fairly low(to put it mildly)

I was fully expecting him to be a brilliant player this season in a league 1 team! :innocent06:

BEST PLAYER SO FAR -

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER -

Best player - Fontaine, Nyatanga, Hartley, Maynard, Gerken

Most improved - SKUUUUUUSEE

Most disappointed - Clarkson not given a chance, Blackman,

Guest SUMMAT OUTTA NOWT

best player.......... Gerken, Skuse close second

most improved........... Skuse, maynard Still misses easy chances

most disappointing........... elliot by a mile

Mentioned in dispatches Hartley, Macallister

Archived