IGNORED

Team For Saturday?

Robbored

A bit early I know but assuming Johnson has no further injury problems whats your team for Saturdays tough game at the Baggies?

I reckon - a loose 4-4-2

Gerkin, Orr, Carey, Fontaine, McAllister.

Sno, Hartley, Skuse, Haynes,

Maynard, Saborio.

The Baggies are a free scoring team, second only to Cardiff in the goals scored column and City could find themselves on the back foot for long periods and end up playing on the counter attack. For that you need pace hence Haynes playing a bit behind the front two. Skuse and Hartley can both play the defensive midfield role well which will provide some protection to the back four. Sno retains the ball very well and is very capable of picking good passes to help link play.

They are also quick around the box and thats why the more mobile Fontaine gets in ahead of McCoombe in my team.

Bench - Basso, Johnson, Sproule, Clarkson, McCoombe, Williams, Ribiero.

Most of us would love to avoid defeat at the Hawthorns but it'll be very tough. A draw would be an excellent result.

Will Saborio be ok after such a long flight back though?

I wouldn't be surprised if we put Sno behind Maynard and maybe added Williams on the left.. otherwise I can see Nyatanga over Fonts unless I've missed an injury?

I wouldn't be surprised if we put Sno behind Maynard and maybe added Williams on the left.. otherwise I can see Nyatanga over Fonts unless I've missed an injury?

Whoops! I'd forgotten that he was away so maybe Clarkson ahead of Saborio in the starting line up. Nyatanga has played an international so won't be as fresh as Carey or Fontaine but as we don't know how ready Fontaine is, its tough to call. I happen to think that a fully fit Fontaine is the best and most consistant defender at the club and would start every game if I were manager.

Well he did last time, and that didn't work as he looked well jaded so hopefully he won't try that again. As Robbored says the Baggies are a free scoring team, so I wouldn't be surprised if McCoombe was used! I don't want that mind you as I'd prefer Fonts, but more likely Nyatanga will get the nod.

Whoops! I'd forgotten that he was away so maybe Clarkson ahead of Saborio in the starting line up. Nyatanga has played an international so won't be as fresh as Carey or Fontaine but as we don't know how ready Fontaine is, its tough to call. I happen to think that a fully fit Fontaine is the best and most consistant defender at the club and would start every game if I were manager.

Nyatanga only played in Cardiff. It's not as if it's another country. :farmer: Plus he didn't play the full game.

I'd rather see

Gerkin, Orr, Carey, Nyatanga, McAllister.

Sno, Hartley, Skuse, Williams,

Maynard, Haynes

I believe Saborio will be knackered after his internationals.

I think it'll be 4-3-3.

Gerken

Orr

Carey

Nyatanga

McAllister

Skuse

Elliot

Hartley

Clarkson

Maynard

Haynes

Definitely not. As attacking as 4-3-3 appears to be, we know it leaves us very short at the back. We tried it at home against Plymouth, and GJ changed it after half an hour (Carey on for Saborio) to get the wingback formation going and give us some more width and more men behind the ball when required.

Let's be honest we're going to WBA for a point. It would be suicidal to go there with a 4-3-3, as we all saw on the box when we fielded that formation away at Cardiff. I think with a fully fit squad we will play either the wingbacks formation (3-5-2 / 5-3-2) or maybe play a lone striker? We played 1 up top at Reading in February, it's a great counterattacking formation and it worked a treat on the day.. I think we will do something similar on Saturday.

I'd just like to point out that I personally don't want to see the team I posted. I don't much care for 4-3-3 at all. I just think it's the one GJ will pick.

My personal choice would be a return to 3-4-1-2:

Gerken

Nyatanga

Carey

Fontaine

Orr

Hartley

Skuse

McAllister

Clarkson

Maynard

Haynes

Guest little un

352 / 532

Gerken

Carey Fontaine Nyatanga

Skuse McCallister

Elliot Hartley Sno

Haynes Maynard

Subs:

Basso, Clarkson, Saborio, McCombe, Orr, Johnson, Williams

Personally I would play Orr right wing back and put Skuse in for Elliot. Then we would have 3 central midfielders so I would be tempted to have Sproule on bench for Williams to add another dimension, especially if we are looking for an equaliser.

Sorry but why do people think we'll play anything but 5-3-2/3-5-2? It'll be probably the same team, Haynes will be up front instead of Saborio. As much as I'd like to see Clarkson start I don't think he will for a while IMO!

Gerken

Orr Skuse Carey Nyatanga Mccalister

Sno Hartley Elliot

Maynard Haynes

Thats what I think. Mccombe or Fonts may be in the back line but I don't think he'll sacrifice any of those 3 MF and he knows Skuse must play on the form he's been in!

Mentalitywise...

We can beat them like Swansea did.. Out play them and beat them up!!!!, we are capable too. Lets not go there expecting we are better them,but we are more than able to compete and should play as their e quill at least..if not we lose

Whooshford got their arse spanked giving it the big one trying to out play them with inferior players, lets not make the same mistake. we can beat them, play 451, and go for the point and maybe the win. dont get arrogant though, they are a good side

Guest Swansea_Red
Sorry but why do people think we'll play anything but 5-3-2/3-5-2? It'll be probably the same team, Haynes will be up front instead of Saborio. As much as I'd like to see Clarkson start I don't think he will for a while IMO!

Gerken

Orr Skuse Carey Nyatanga Mccalister

Sno Hartley Elliot

Maynard Haynes

Thats what I think. Mccombe or Fonts may be in the back line but I don't think he'll sacrifice any of those 3 MF and he knows Skuse must play on the form he's been in!

Eh, the same team that lined up 4-3-3 for our last away game?! I see where you're coming though from after the good result at Barnsley using that system. I haven't got a monkey's what formation we'll turn out with this week, I'm not sure any of us know who GJ's going to pick next and I for one don't really mind that considering the good job he's doing!

Anyhow, I'm just going to chuck this formation out there, in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 sort if way, mainly because I don't think anyone has picked this combo of players yet.....

Gerken

Skuse, Carey, Nyatanga, McAllister

Haynes, Elliot, Hartley, Johnson, Sno

Maynard

Depending on Orr's injury and McAllister's as I think he went off against Forest with a niggle.

Eh, the same team that lined up 4-3-3 for our last away game?! I see where you're coming though from after the good result at Barnsley using that system. I haven't got a monkey's what formation we'll turn out with this week, I'm not sure any of us know who GJ's going to pick next and I for one don't really mind that considering the good job he's doing!

Anyhow, I'm just going to chuck this formation out there, in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 sort if way, mainly because I don't think anyone has picked this combo of players yet.....

Gerken

Skuse, Carey, Nyatanga, McAllister

Haynes, Elliot, Hartley, Johnson, Sno

Maynard

Depending on Orr's injury and McAllister's as I think he went off against Forest with a niggle.

Fair point, but we change formation mid-game so much these days the starting formation is not always as relevant as it maybe should be! :L Forest was a good point though and as much as I'd take a 0-0 Sat I'd love to see a really open, attacking and a high-scoring game! We always bring a good number there so hopefulyl will be a good atmosphere :fingerscrossed:

Guest Swansea_Red
Fair point, but we change formation mid-game so much these days the starting formation is not always as relevant as it maybe should be! :L Forest was a good point though and as much as I'd take a 0-0 Sat I'd love to see a really open, attacking and a high-scoring game! We always bring a good number there so hopefulyl will be a good atmosphere :fingerscrossed:

Not going to disagree with that, we do chop and change a fair bit over 90 mins! Oh, and as long as some of those goals go to us!! Although judging by some games this season I'm not holding my breath! I'd definitely take a 0-0. It would be a very handy away point.

Not going to disagree with that, we do chop and change a fair bit over 90 mins! Oh, and as long as some of those goals go to us!! Although judging by some games this season I'm not holding my breath! I'd definitely take a 0-0. It would be a very handy away point.

Yeah thats what I meant, although from a serious point of view, you'd take 0-0, it'd be nice to see us involved in a 4-3 or something, even if we were on the wrong side of the scoreline! :L

Formation for me would have to be a 5-3-2 which then turns into a 3-2-3-2 when we are on the attack. To fit this system we would need to play our strongest 11.

It will be ( IMO of course )

Gerkin

Skuse

Carey

Nyatanga

Jamie Mc

Hartly

Elliot

Sno

Maynard

Clarkson

Haynes

Subs:

Basso

Mccombe

Rebeiro

williams

Johnson

Saborio

Sproule

With Orr injured that will probably be the starting 11 but I doubt it will be 4-3-3.

I'm not sure why a lot of people are expecting Clarkson to start. I'd love him too but I really can't see it atm, he seems to have fallen well down GJ's pecking order. Bearing in mind the only sub appearence he's amde for ages he was drafted in on the left as a replacement for Mccalister at Forest I'm not so sure he'll be in the starting 11!

Why don't we try a 1950's "retro" style formation?

Gerkin (we don't need much protection at the back with him in goal)

Carey (Stopper)

Nyatanga (Ball Winner)

Skuse (Engine)

Elliott (Tackles)

Hartley (Passing)

Sproule (Pace)

Sno (Guile)

Maynard (Goals)

Clarkson (Craft)

Haynes (Explosiveness)

I predict there would be plenty of goals on Saturday if we put that side out...........

I think it will be a safe and (initially) negative formation, as at Newcastle.

Gerkin

Skuse, McCoombe, Nyatanga, Carey, McAllister

Hartley, Sno, Elliott (Although he may pick LJ ahead of any of these - Or even in place of Haynes with Sno moving forward!)

Haynes, Maynard

Subs-

Williams

Saborio

Johnson

Sproule

Basso

Fontaine

Clarkson

I think it will be a safe and (initially) negative formation, as at Newcastle.

Gerkin

Skuse, McCoombe, Nyatanga, Carey, McAllister

Hartley, Sno, Elliott (Although he may pick LJ ahead of any of these - Or even in place of Haynes with Sno moving forward!)

Haynes, Maynard

Subs-

Williams

Saborio

Johnson

Sproule

Basso

Fontaine

Clarkson

The only place he should put his lad is on the bench in my view. But, as you say, it wouldn't be the greatest shock in the world to see him come in with Saborio likely to be out.

Gerken

Skuse, Carey, Fontaine, McAllister

Elliott (def central) also helping Skuse out

Hartley (central), Sno ("left" central)

Williams (offensive central)

Maynard (even more so)

Haynes

Good call - but, I'm not sure if Fonts is fit enough (hopefully enter LN not JM)- and think GJ is more likely to start with LJ than GW. It might be that LJ will feature more away from home than at AG given the abuse he gets at home?

Guest mindjuicer
I'm not aware of any LJ abuse at home. A few groans maybe... and against Wednesday an awful lot of groans!

From Williams stand, I distinctly heard booing when his name was announced and at least twice in the game. Shouldn't affect his play but...

Hartley was one of our better players against Forest, wasn't he? According to announced rotation policy he won't be dropped unless tired. I can't see GJ playing LJ-Sno-Hartley so I'd have thought it Sno-Hartley-Elliott.

Sporting Life reckon we are good value to beat WBA at 5/1. They reckon that GJ's interview indicated that he was going there to defend and perhaps pinch a winner on the break. I think they mentioned that we had kept a lot of opposition scoreless for 85 minutes........astute comment.

Last season we were similar odds against Reading and we won.

Hartley was one of our better players against Forest, wasn't he? According to announced rotation policy he won't be dropped unless tired. I can't see GJ playing LJ-Sno-Hartley so I'd have thought it Sno-Hartley-Elliott.

Hartley, apart from one poor game at Cardiff has been class all season and it was a mystery to many fans when he was left out during Johnson's 'rotation' phase. He is, in the opinion of many fans the rock of City's midfield and should be a shoe-in every game. He was superb at Forest and assisted the City goal and should definately start at the Hawthorns tomorrow. I believe he will.

As for LJ there are at least three, maybe four midfielders ahead of him. Sno, Elliot, Hartley and Skuse (when available for midfield) are all better all round players than LJ which Johnson senior can surely see. The future for LJ at City is likely to be as a standby for when injuries and suspensions take their toll. He has, thanks to the managers astute signings over the summer slipped down the pecking order.

Guest mindjuicer
We don't have a rotation policy and why should Hartley be tired after two weeks off?, he is 33 not 83.

I certainly heard no booing in Williams when LJ: s name was announced for the Sheffield W game. You might have heard the odd supporter specifically listening for it.

Off course people get disappointed when your supposed playmaker can't put a decent pass and you will hear an instinctive "oooohhh nnnnooooo" but thats not booing.

I'm talking about actual booing, something I don't like when we do to the other team never mind our own players.

There were many more cheering his name called out than booing but it was very discernable and definitely more than a few people. Since you didn't hear it, maybe it was quite close. I do have quite good hearing but low pitched noises are harder to tell the direction of.

I don't know about 'policy' but we are rotating the midfield (except Sno) when the players are tired. As you point out, Hartley shouldn't be tired and so should play.

I recall at least 2 games that Hartley was reported to have played badly this season (probably away) and he didn't impress me against Wed so I think some have put him on a pedestal...

I didn't read that Elliott impressed so maybe he'll be dropped. :dunno:

As for poor Gavin Williams, he's had Sno, Hartley, Elliott & LJ ahead of him. All apart from Elliott have played very well this season, especially if you compare us to last season.

Seems to me though, if Clarkson can get on, Williams will get a shot too.

I think Carey, McAllister, Skuse, Sno, Hartley, Maynard and Haynes are the only certs. Just to be clear, this is who I think will play, not who I think should play. The latter is kinda tight. I'm happy to leave it up to GJ.

GJ has set himself up for a fall by calling it a 6 pointer. WBA are an excellent team looking for their 3rd straight win. If we lose, I expect GJ will be getting it in the neck again, even though he may well have picked the right team.

A bit early I know but assuming Johnson has no further injury problems whats your team for Saturdays tough game at the Baggies?

I reckon - a loose 4-4-2

Gerkin, Orr, Carey, Fontaine, McAllister.

Sno, Hartley, Skuse, Haynes,

Maynard, Saborio.

The Baggies are a free scoring team, second only to Cardiff in the goals scored column and City could find themselves on the back foot for long periods and end up playing on the counter attack. For that you need pace hence Haynes playing a bit behind the front two. Skuse and Hartley can both play the defensive midfield role well which will provide some protection to the back four. Sno retains the ball very well and is very capable of picking good passes to help link play.

They are also quick around the box and thats why the more mobile Fontaine gets in ahead of McCoombe in my team.

Bench - Basso, Johnson, Sproule, Clarkson, McCoombe, Williams, Ribiero.

Most of us would love to avoid defeat at the Hawthorns but it'll be very tough. A draw would be an excellent result.

Way loan Tristan?Is a good player and dribler?This is a mistake this loan deal.

My team is:

Dean Gerken

Orr.......Fontaine.....Jamie M.

Sno:)......Hartley.........Johnson.......Haynes

Clarkson.........Nicky.........Saborio (So 3-4-3 and Sproule,Skuse,Basso,Carey,Williams)

For 4-4-2 replace Clarkson with Carey.

Have a nice day!And I hope to wind:)

Archived