IGNORED

Pompey Pulls Out Of 2018 Bid

Magic Man

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...uth/8378313.stm

This won't do any harm to our World Cup bid.... A Southern venue pulling out has to be good news, no?

This is excellent news - it leaves only City and Plymouth in the south of England bidding to be host cities, apart from London, which will obviously get venues.

It's no contest between us and the Pilgrims in terms of credible stadium plans, infracstructure, location, catchment area etc, so this should mean Bristol is on the list of host cities on December 16th.

The much bigger hurdle is likely to be getting Fifa to give us the tournament next December.

They are (currently) a prem club and could expect to stage at least one game, but Fratton Park needs a major rebuild before it can stage any important games. Just up the road from Pompey though is Southampton with their still newish ground. Have the Saints offered to stage games as they would be a threat to us unless like 1966, they use two grounds in each area.

For younger members, in 1966 there were 2 grounds in London, 2 in the West Midlands, 2 in the North West and 2 in the North East. The FA did look at Ashton Gate, but AG only had one stand at the time and they wanted one on each side although terracing behind the goals was acceptable.

This is excellent news - it leaves only City and Plymouth in the south of England bidding to be host cities, apart from London, which will obviously get venues.

.. and MK according to Tomo :noexpression:

• Admin
Wikipedia is South East surely, or at the very least just Eastern England.

In no way, can it be classed as South West England.

Perhaps us, Portsmouth (before they pulled out), Southampton, Plymouth and Milton Keynes are just being put into the Southern England category..

Are Southampton actually bidding? I haven't seen their name on any of the relevant bid websites.

this is all well and good for are chances of Bristol becoming a host city but England as a package have got no chance of hosting the world cup not with blatter and plantini pulling the strings whatever they say in public about England it is not matched by what they both think about us privately imo i would go as far as saying anyone but England would be there stance

this is all well and good for are chances of Bristol becoming a host city but England as a package have got no chance of hosting the world cup not with blatter and plantini pulling the strings whatever they say in public about England it is not matched by what they both think about us privately imo i would go as far as saying anyone but England would be there stance

That isn't our main concern right now. Get listed in the 10 cities and the rest of our planning should go smoothly. If England don't get the bid in 12 months time well by then the diggers will already be on the Ashton Vale site...

Wikipedia is South East surely, or at the very least just Eastern England.

In no way, can it be classed as South West England.

Perhaps us, Portsmouth (before they pulled out), Southampton, Plymouth and Milton Keynes are just being put into the Southern England category..

For the purposes of the World Cup bid, Milton Keynes is definitely being inclued in the South West region.

Crazy I know.

For the purposes of the World Cup bid, Milton Keynes is definitely being inclued in the South West region.

Crazy I know.

There must be only one reason for that surely! Congrats Milton Keynes on becoming a World Cup city in 2018 - bad luck Bristol and Plymouth - better luck next time eh?

That isn't our main concern right now. Get listed in the 10 cities and the rest of our planning should go smoothly. If England don't get the bid in 12 months time well by then the diggers will already be on the Ashton Vale site...

:rofl2br: absolutely as soon as the home office give us the green light and work starts im not that bothered if England is chosen or not but from what ive been reading it certainly looks like it's a case of not on my watch from blatter

Crazy I know.

That really makes no sense at all. Only conclusion that i can draw from that is they have already been told they will get it, they couldnt compete with anyone in London so shove em over to the footballing backwater that is the South West.

Most odd.

There must be only one reason for that surely! Congrats Milton Keynes on becoming a World Cup city in 2018 - bad luck Bristol and Plymouth - better luck next time eh?

Thing is, it appears that the city of Milton Keynes as a whole has thrown itself behind their bid.

With a few notable execeptions, including BCFC, the council and Evening Post, the general response in Bristol has been pretty apathetic.

Not helped by one footballing half of Bristol apparently doing their best to scupper the Bristol bid.

I attended a meeting with members of the Bristol bid team and reps from fans organisations of City and Rovers back in early June. It was clear even then that support was only luke warm at best from North Bristol. I'm not even sure if Rovers have made an official statement on the Bristol bid.

Ironically, even at that early stage Glos CC had already offered their faciities for World Cup training purposes despite the fact it would be during the cricket season.

Thanks for the info Tompo.

Nothing EVER happens in Bristol, if its not the council dragging things out or never taking a chance, then its a large percentage of the citizens always seeing the negatives in something new or exciting that might actually make Bristol a better city.

Ive said it before on here and i'll say it again, if having the World Cup in Bristol meant Rovers get a new ground, id be right behind it, i couldnt care less about them, but care enough about football to know that having a World Cup on your doorstep would be an amazing experience for City as a whole, there are no two ways about it.

Guest Hanhamreds

you cannot hide the fact that MK is not in the South West, when FIFA look at a map of England and where the stadiums are it's obvious you are still left with a massive area with no WC football. Putting aside the Bristol v MK issue for now if they choose MK and not us then IMO we have blown any chace of getting the WC in this country.

I have no issue in the FA picking Bristol and MK though.

Regardless of stadium facilities I am surprised that Milton Keynes would even get a passing consideration.

As a place to visit, fans will feel rather short changed and it will do little to enhance the view of our country and what it has to offer.

With respect, MK is a souless dump in comparison to Bristol and just about every other historic English city.

On the issue of poor support. Lets be fair with Bristol City Council they have given there backing to the bid by being prepared to give the financial backing required. The reason Portsmouth were forced to withdraw was that Portsmouths local authority would'nt give that financial commitment. As for Gas giving their backing its highly unlikely they would support an action that leaves them further behind us. They had permission to develop their ground and suddenly the funding rug was pulled. We have a Chairman with huge ambition to put our Club up with the best would you support sucj ambition if it was your rivals that look to be moving on, I don't think so.

Think the England 2018 bid team need to appoint Lansdown as chairman. If we do get selected as a host city then Steve Lansdown should be praised for his efforts. BCC are useless and if it wasn't for Lansdown showing them exactly what they had to do then we wouldn't even be in a position to be a potential host.

Not sure who the guy was being interviewed on talk sport yesterday afternoon, but he said after London and Manchester, Bristol was the next most popular bid as it was a gateway to the west country and Wales.

Adrian Durham agreed and commented on the new City stadium as well.

Think the England 2018 bid team need to appoint Lansdown as chairman. If we do get selected as a host city then Steve Lansdown should be praised for his efforts. BCC are useless and if it wasn't for Lansdown showing them exactly what they had to do then we wouldn't even be in a position to be a potential host.

That is not true.

BCC have been very supportive of the WC bid (as have the Evening Post), despite some unexpected costs having to be factored in to the equation at the last minute. I suspect the fact that Bristol was preparing a WC bid was a factor in the decision on the planning application.

Colin Sexstone and Guy Price represented BCFC on the Bristol bid committe, and are the guys that deserve yet more credit for their efforts on behalf of football in Bristol. I will also say that the pesron fronting the campaign on behalf of the council was also very dynamic.

That is not true.

BCC have been very supportive of the WC bid (as have the Evening Post), despite some unexpected costs having to be factored in to the equation at the last minute. I suspect the fact that Bristol was preparing a WC bid was a factor in the decision on the planning application.

Colin Sexstone and Guy Price represented BCFC on the Bristol bid committe, and are the guys that deserve yet more credit for their efforts on behalf of football in Bristol. I will also say that the pesron fronting the campaign on behalf of the council was also very dynamic.

I'm just going by what Lansdown said at the Q&A the other day so he must be a liar then.

I'm just going by what Lansdown said at the Q&A the other day so he must be a liar then.

I wasn't there but followed on Adam Baker's blog.

There doesn't appear to have been any mention of SL saying that BCC's World Cup bid team was crap or not supportive. Unlikely that he would as the club was heavily represented in preparing the bid.

Guest Swansea_Red

I haven't looked back at the Q&A, but I think Lansdown was refering to the stadium application, especially Southlands, rather than the World Cup bid application. Could be wrong though, the memory isn't the best at times!

Guest Hanhamreds
Just listening to 5 live and they have said that Southampton are now considering a bid after Portsmouth pulled out. Spoke at length about Bristol being full tilt behind a bid.

but its too late now, the bids are in today so Southampton have missed the party.

Archived