IGNORED

No If's Or But's

SJC

Im pretty sure I've asked this question before but further to conversation in a different post that Johnson probably doesnt know his best formation or his best team, if you had the responsibility of picking our line up vs Ipswich, what would it be?

No, 'if we only had a left winger' or criticism {or praise} of Johnson in any form.

Name your starting formation, with the squad available, for the match against Ipswich. Include explanation if you wish but please do not, for the purpose of this topic, reply with, for example, a 4-4-2 formation with 'new signing' on the left wing etc.

My Starting XI vs Ipswich;

Gerken

Fontaine Carey Nyatanga

Orr McAllister

Hartley Elliott

Williams

Maynard Saborio

Henderson,

Clarkson,

Sno,

Haynes,

Skuse,

McCombe,

Sproule

A bench that can make an impact, in my opinion the formation which best suits our current squad and Saborio narrowly beating Clarkson (presuming he's fit) into a starting berth.

This forum see's alot of talk, as it would(!), but it does genuinely interest me to see what team people would put out from the options available.

Im pretty sure I've asked this question before but further to conversation in a different post that Johnson probably doesnt know his best formation or his best team, if you had the responsibility of picking our line up vs Ipswich, what would it be?

No, 'if we only had a left winger' or criticism {or praise} of Johnson in any form.

Name your starting formation, with the squad available, for the match against Ipswich. Include explanation if you wish but please do not, for the purpose of this topic, reply with, for example, a 4-4-2 formation with 'new signing' on the left wing etc.

Gerken

Fontaine Carey Nyatanga

Orr McAllister

Hartley

Elliott Skuse

Maynard Saborio

Henderson,

Clarkson,

Sno,

Haynes,

Williams,

McCombe,

Sproule

A bench that can make an impact, in my opinion the formation which best suits our current squad and Saborio narrowly beating Clarkson (presuming he's fit) into a starting berth.

This forum see's alot of talk, as it would(!), but it does genuinely interest me to see what team people would put out from the options available.

With what we have, my version

Gerken

Orr (if fit) Carey Nyatanga McAllister

Hartley Skuse (holding)

Sno (free role)

Haynes (note Haynes is played wide right)

Maynard Clarkson

The formation we started the season with.

----------------------Gerken----------------------------

---------Carey------Fontaine--------Nyatanga-----------

Skuse--------------------------------------------MCalister

------------Elliot------------Hartley------------------------

---------------------Sno-----------------------------------

------------Saborio----------Maynard

Based on what's presently available

3-5-2

Gerken

Nyatanga - Carey - Fontaine

Skuse - Sno - Hartley - Elliot - McAllister

Saborio - Maynard

Subs:

Clarkson

Sproule

McCombe

Johnson

Williams

Henderson

Orr

I'd like to start Clarkson, but I've seen so little of him. I'd also start Sproule and just give him a run of games just to see what he can do with a run of games. However, it seems hard to start Sproule unless it's in 4-4-2 and we've only got one left-sided player. Should have signed Eremenko/Quincy?

Two things of note quickly;

Tales From The Front was so quick on the draw that the team he quotes me as picking is different to the team I actually would. From my own point of view, I found it immensely difficult to pick an XI and this is nowhere better illustrated than my last minute indecision.

I also, despite believing him to be a good, solid, Championship performer can find no room for Lee Johnson. He is someone who id be more than happy to see feature from the start via rotation, but believing him to have little use from the bench and with him not being in my initial XI, he misses out completely

--------------------Gerken------------------------

Orr----------Carey-------Fontaine----McAllister

Haynes------Hartley-----Skuse-------Williams

--------------------Sno----------------------------

--------------------------Maynard----------------

Henderson

Nyatanga

Elliott

Johnson

Clarkson

Saborio

Sproule

Our best back four. If Orr isn't fit put Skuse there and bring Elliott in.

Williams is not the ideal player for the left hand side but he can at least carry the ball forward and see a pass, I'd rather see him play left midfield than Sno play left wing.

Maynard is more capable of leading a line this season and he will get support from Sno and Haynes.

......................Gerken.......................

....Carey......Fontaine...Nyatanga........

.Orr........................................McAllister

.............Skuse.........Hartley...............

.......................Sno...........................

.............Saborio.......Maynard............

Subs:

Hendo

McCombe

Marv

Williams

Sproule

Haynes

Clarkson

Sno's last chance before the bench.

Saborio can start from his goal on saturday but Maynard needs to start scoring again.

- Orr ------Carey------Fontaine--------Nyatanga-----------

------------Skuse------Sno-------Hartley------------------------

------------Haynes-------------Maynard

---------------------Saborio-----------------

Haynes and Maynard, free to go where they feel there is a gap and pressure defenders at all times.

Skill and control on the left, speed and determination on the right.

Gerken

Orr Carey Fontaine Mccalister

Skuse Sno Hartley

Williams

Haynes Maynard

Subs:

Henderson

Sproule

Elliot

Clarkson

Nayatanga

Saborio

Johnson

Straight away that formation screams lack of width, but with the present lack of wingers i see no point in playing 4-4-2 and sticking Haynes (who has publicly stated he doesnt like/ isnt a winger) and Sproule (who lacks any crossing ability) on the wings.

With the current sqaud, that IMO is the best formation we have. In January hopefully after we have brought in one or two wide men then i would deffinetly go with a flat 4-4-2.

Gerken

Orr Carey Fonts Mcallister

Skuse Hartely Williams

Clarkson

Maynard Haynes

Possibly Have sno instead of Clarkson but Sno has had plenty of time even though not in his favoured position I'd rather see Clarkson get a chance and think Sno would be a good impact sub.

Henderson

Nyatanga

Elliott

Johnson

Clarkson

Saborio

Sproule

Williams is not the ideal player for the left hand side but he can at least carry the ball forward and see a pass, I'd rather see him play left midfield than Sno play left wing.

Maynard is more capable of leading a line this season and he will get support from Sno and Haynes.

Exactly how I would have us line up, I think that is the best we are going to get our of our current squad. Skuse has been brill in midfield thi season but I would be tempted to swap him with Sno and play Clarkson in the hole or would do that if Orr is still out with Skuse at RB.

Gerken

Carey---Nyatanga-----Fontaine-----McAlister

Sproule---Elliot---Hartley---Skuse----Haynes

Maynard

Without doubt our strongest line up defensively and attacking. Reluctantly playing Sproule on the right as the manager has put himself in the situation of only having one winger at the club.

------------------Gerken--------------------

----Carey --- Fontaine --- Nyatanga

Orr-----------------------------McCallister

------------- Hartley -- Skuse -------------

------------------Sno ----------------------

-------------Haynes -- Maynard

Bench: Henderson, McCombe, Elliott, Williams, Sproule, Saborio, Clarkson.

Gerken

Carey---Nyatanga-----Fontaine-----McAlister

Sproule---Elliot---Hartley---Skuse----Haynes

Maynard

Without doubt our strongest line up defensively and attacking. Reluctantly playing Sproule on the right as the manager has put himself in the situation of only having one winger at the club.

4-5-1 at home. The forum would have a field day!

Guest Mrdeady

Gerken

Skuse----- Carey---- Fontaine----Mcallister

Hartley----Williams----Elliott

Haynes------------------------------Clarkson

Maynard

I think this formation has enough creation with Williams and Harltey and bit of bite with Elliott, with Clarkson and Haynes dropping a bit deeper and going wide, this could give us more width. Also if Orr was fit then I would move Skuse into replace Elliott as he has been far superior this season.

.............Gerken

Elliot..Carey..Nyatanga..Mcallister

Haynes..Sno..Hartley...Plummer

........Maynard..Saborio

Fontaine in for Mcalister if injured.

Orr for Elliot if fit.

Give Plummer a chance hes left footed and quick! Cant be any worse than Sproule! If he fails miserably release him in january. Dont just keep him here and never play him.

Guest Mrdeady

I think if a 442 formation is going to work with the players that we have at the club, I think instead of shoving somebody out wide who is going to be totally ineffective on the left hand side, i think it would make sense to play Nyatanga or Fontaine at left back and play Mcallister left midfield, at least he might be able to whip some crosses in and he does possess a functioning left foot!

Assuming Orr is unfit;

.....................................Gerken.........................................

..............Carey............Nyatanga............Fontaine................

Skuse....................................................................McAllister

.............................Sno............Hartley................................

...................................Clarkson.........................................

...................Haynes.........................Maynard......................

Subs;

Henderson

McCombe

Johnson

Elliot

Williams

Sproule

Saborio

Guest tropicalsurfer

..............................Gerken.......................

Orr.............Carey...........Nyatanga...........McAlister

............Elliot.............Sno..........Hartley..............

...Haynes............Clarkson........Maynard...........

Subs:

Henderson

Williams

Saborio

Sproule

Johnson

McCombe

Skuse

Henderson

Nyatanga

Elliott

Johnson

Clarkson

Saborio

Sproule

That's almost the team I'd pick but I'd give Clarkson a game ahead of the frankly disappointing sno, but 4-4-2 despite the absence of a natural left-sided midfielder would be my choice vs Ipswich

Guest gary cornes

Gerken

Fontaine Carey Nyatanga

Orr McAllister

Hartley Elliott

Williams

Maynard Saborio

Henderson,

Clarkson,

Sno,

Haynes,

Skuse,

McCombe,

Sproule

Agree with out MCcombe on bench although could be ok last minuet up front, as for defending ha haha what a joke

For what its worth:

---------Carey-----Nyatanga-----Fontaine-----------

Orr-----------Hartley--------Sno-----------McCallister

---------------------Clarkson--------------------------

----------Haynes-----------------Maynard------------

Subs: Henderson, Skuse, Saborio, Elliot, Sproule, McCombe, Johnson

Pretty much the team we started the season with versus PNE, except Sno in for Elliot I believe.

Gerken

Orr Carey Nyatanga McAllister

Hartley Skuse Sno

Maynard Clarkson

Saborio

Its quite clear we have no players capable of providing width so lets dominate the centre of the park! Saborio can hold the ball up and Clarkson and Maynard can be free to go where they please. Haynes, Marv and Fonts all unlucky but if i was choosing the side against Ipswich thats what i'd go for

Its quite clear we have no players capable of providing width so lets dominate the centre of the park! Saborio can hold the ball up and Clarkson and Maynard can be free to go where they please. Haynes, Marv and Fonts all unlucky but if i was choosing the side against Ipswich thats what i'd go for

McAllister played on the left-wing for the mainpart at Hearts, and is regularly exposed defensively... Looked very bright when he was played there against Boro in the cup, bar that he hasn't had much opportunity to shine. Popped up with our 3rd highest number of assists in the promotion season from left-back, and again every season since. As the only natural left-sided wide player in the team it'd be nice to see him given at least a go on the left.

Despite being in the overwhelming majority of these XIs, Orr hasn't played (or presumably trained) in over five weeks now, so he simply can't come back into Saturday's side, as he's unlikely to be even 50% match fit on that basis.

As for the person who'd pick Plummer, he's RIGHT footed and Hereford didn't want to extend his loan.......

My solution to getting our second best midfielder (Skuse) into midfield would be to recall James Wilson from his loan at Brentford and play him at right back.

My side;

Gerken

J.Wilson Carey Fontaine McAllister

Skuse Hartley Elliott

Haynes Saborio Maynard

-------------Gerkin----------

Orr---Fontaine---Carey---McAllister

Sproule---Hartley---Skuse---Haynes

-------Maynard---Saborio--------

If Bradley is not fit then Skuse at right back with Marv in the middle

Bench

Henderson

Nyatanga

Sno

Johnson

Clarkson

Marv/Williams

Plummer

My solution to getting our second best midfielder (Skuse) into midfield would be to recall James Wilson from his loan at Brentford and play him at right back.

Wilson always seemed to me to be more in the McCombe mould of a big, strong centre-back than of the kind of player you'd expect to see at full-back.

Despite being in the overwhelming majority of these XIs, Orr hasn't played (or presumably trained) in over five weeks now, so he simply can't come back into Saturday's side, as he's unlikely to be even 50% match fit on that basis.

As for the person who'd pick Plummer, he's RIGHT footed and Hereford didn't want to extend his loan.......

My side;

Gerken

J.Wilson Carey Fontaine McAllister

Skuse Hartley Elliott

Haynes Saborio Maynard

That would be me! Are you sure about that? Seen him quite a few times always on the left. Played on the left for Hereford aswell I do belive. Cant really judge a technically good player in league 2! Mccombe would be amazing in that league. If they didnt want him why are we still paying him? As I said in my post if he's here what harm will it do to give him a run out?

Also wasnt JMW no good for a numer of teams in league 1? But did werll with us when we were in that league. Alot of players perform better for clubs theyve been raised in..

Guest roberto

Interesting only one formation given, personaly id have 2 and switch between them depending on how were playing.

Gerkin

carey fontaine nyatanga mcallister

haynes/sproule hartley sno skuse

maynard saborio

Skuse on left wing, he has shown his versatility and I believe if asked he could do it, at least as temporary measure.

If you watch saborios goal complimations on youtube he has scored alot from cross's from the wing (i know its youtube but still :-) ). Im convinced saborio will be 10+ striker I think we need play to his strengths as a target man, and maynard can feed off of him.

Then to change game

gerkin

hartley skuse

sno

haynes/sproule saborio maynard

Carey and Hartley are a must for leadership qualitys. Give sproule and haynes a half each as and tell them to run themselves into the ground!

Subs and reasons

henderson obvious

clarkson fitness

mccombe form

lj slipped down pecking order

haynes/sproule

elliot form

orr fitness

Cant post link but if you go to guardian football section theres interesting article on formations on front page, basically set formation bad, balanced formation good :laugh:

Guest jfkerton
would love to see us play 442, Elliott really struggles without this formation i feel

-------------Gerkin----------

Orr---Fontaine---Carey---McAllister

Sproule---Hartley---Elliott---Haynes

-------Maynard---Saborio--------

Swapping Elliot for Sno, maybe having him on the wing in place of Sproule. i'll go and play the game on FIFA10 and see how it works out :D

.............Gerken

Elliot..Carey..Nyatanga..Mcallister

Haynes..Sno..Hartley...Plummer

........Maynard..Saborio

Fontaine in for Mcalister if injured.

Orr for Elliot if fit.

Give Plummer a chance hes left footed and quick! Cant be any worse than Sproule! If he fails miserably release him in january. Dont just keep him here and never play him.

And he was a St Nicks boy after all!!

- Orr ------Carey------Fontaine--------Nyatanga-----------

------------Skuse------Sno-------Hartley------------------------

------------Haynes-------------Maynard

---------------------Saborio-----------------

Haynes and Maynard, free to go where they feel there is a gap and pressure defenders at all times.

Skill and control on the left, speed and determination on the right.

I agree with that , that would be my team as well, although probably go with Jamie Mc rather than Nyatanga

--------------------------Gerken

Orr(Skuse if not fit)-Carey-Fontaine-McAllister

----------------------------Elliot------------------

-------------Haynes---------------Sno----------

------------------------Hartley-------------------

--------Clarkson---------------Maynard---------

I'm still putting Sno on the left when i really would want him in Elliotts place but i cant drop big Marv.

-------------Basso----------------

---Skuse--Carey--Tanga--Macca----

----------Elliot--Hartley------------

------------Johnson----------------

-------Haynes----Maynard---------

-------------Saboro-----------------

4-2-1-2-1 or 4-3-3.

I choose Basso as he's our best keeper

Unsure of Orr and Fonts fitness, so Skuse and Tanga are in.

Leave the creative stuff to LJ. Swop Elliot out for Sno if he's not performing.

We can't play wide, we have no left wide player.

Interesting only one formation given, personaly id have 2 and switch between them depending on how were playing.

Gerkin

haynes/sproule hartley sno skuse

maynard saborio

Skuse on left wing, he has shown his versatility and I believe if asked he could do it, at least as temporary measure.

If you watch saborios goal complimations on youtube he has scored alot from cross's from the wing (i know its youtube but still :-) ). Im convinced saborio will be 10+ striker I think we need play to his strengths as a target man, and maynard can feed off of him.

Then to change game

gerkin

hartley skuse

sno

haynes/sproule saborio maynard

Carey and Hartley are a must for leadership qualitys. Give sproule and haynes a half each as and tell them to run themselves into the ground!

Subs and reasons

henderson obvious

clarkson fitness

mccombe form

lj slipped down pecking order

haynes/sproule

elliot form

orr fitness

Cant post link but if you go to guardian football section theres interesting article on formations on front page, basically set formation bad, balanced formation good :laugh:

all i know know , is no mcdonkey

Archived