IGNORED

Will The Ashton Gates Berlin Wall Now Be Removed?

One of the things that I was unhappy with while Gary Johnson was in charge was the installation of the iron pen

gates which prevented Bristol city fans and opposition fans from obtaining the players autographs before

they entered the players entrance.

This, in my view, distanced the fans and more so the younger

fans from their heroes.

Gary Johnson stated at the time it was to prevent Bristol City players arriving

late. I don't think there is a time clock for footballers like there is in most other employment,

its not as if the players are on a nuts and bolts production line in a factory so in the

words of

Ronald Reagan to Gorbachov prior to the Berlin wall being breached

TEAR DOWN THESE GATES

and connect with the fans again

Guest Big Jon

One of the things that I was unhappy with while Gary Johnson was in charge was the installation of the iron pen

gates which prevented Bristol city fans and opposition fans from obtaining the players autographs before

fans from their heroes.

late. I don't think there is a time clock for footballers like there is in most other employment,

its not as if the players are on a nuts and bolts production line in a factory so in the

words of

TEAR DOWN THESE GATES

Forgive my stupidity but if you are talking about the gates between the ticket office and Atyeo arnt they open mach days

fans from their heroes.

words of

TEAR DOWN THESE GATES

Ich bin ein Berliner

• Admin

I don't know what your on about either ????

I believe that he is referring to the gates / metal fence that is outside the entrance to the dressing rooms.

Years ago when players turned up (or even the away coach) you used to be able to approach the players etc, but as detailed in the first post this changed during Johnson's tenure. .. .

Guest BrotherErnieFromBarrowGurney

I think the reason was that each time the away coach reversed into it's parking space, the people walking past were in serious danger of being run over. Despite the efforts of the stewards, people would still keep walking.

Ich bin ein Berliner

John Kennedy got shot dead not long after saying that. :whistle2: He said.....

Two thousand years ago the proudest boast was civis Romanus sum (I am a Roman citizen). Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is 'Ich bin ein Berliner'... All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words 'Ich bin ein Berliner!'

.....when - just 18 years before that pronouncement - America was at war with the people of Berlin and the Britain was fighting Germany for freedom I'm not sure what point Kennedy was trying to make.

Guest Midge

For those who understand the German language,what Kennedy said was incorrect.

He wanted to say I am a Berliner,

but pronounced it

I AM A DOUGHNUT.

biggrin.gif

You wait 'till they all start turning up at quarter-past-three on a Saturday afternoon. You'll change your tune then, you mark my words if you don't!

Perhaps we could stop the City team leaving 5 minutes before the final whistle....whistle.gif

Archived