IGNORED

Another Disaster Zone Day For Our Allegedly Public Radio Broadcaster

Guest LeBlueRouge

considering that all three local sides were basically at home.

Why no phone after the City v Newcastle game?

Ask the bone heads who make the editorial decision, Pemberton and Mesquita AKA Laurel and Hardy.

Why oh why do I waste my time reading your post. Please stop posting stuff that is just dull dull dull, people ilke you drag the OTIB site down.

Ask the bone heads who make the editorial decision, Pemberton and Mesquita AKA Laurel and Hardy.

Being Bristolian I know that the local media including 'local' television, 'local' radio and 'local' newspapers have been hijacked by non Bristolians. The people running these media have little or no connection to Bristol and the West and that's why there's a complete disregard and lack of understanding of local sport.

Why oh why do I waste my time reading your post. Please stop posting stuff that is just dull dull dull, people ilke you drag the OTIB site down.

Well dont reply then! John posts alot of decent posts particularly for exiles.

Perhaps you are better keeping your opinion to yourself instead of insulting a decent forum member

Never to the dark side makes valid points and it's bang out of order that Bristol's local media has been hijacked by non Bristolians who seem to have total contempt for Bristolian sport and Bristolian news interests in general.

Lets look how "local" the Sports department is:

Ali Durdain not been heard of in a long time, the best radio commentator we have ever had (remember Mansfield 4-5?)

Ed Hadwin use to commentate on Swindon Towns game

Richard Hoskin a Wiltshire import

Chris Simson comes from Lake district

Rob Scanlon not sure where he comes from

Geoff Twentyman from Liverpool

pemberton ex BBC Stafford

Luchio Mesquita from Brazil

Never heard of an Englishman(let alone a Bristolian) being employed by Radio Brazil

and this is what Geoff Twentyman said on

February 9th 2008 at 2:23pm we were at home to sheffield wednesday

Text come in, "Hi Geoff, why isn't there live commentary of Yeovil's game this afternoon?"

the Yeovil to win 2-0 Kirk and Stewart. That's a text in from Sam the Glover

in Taunton.

Well, essentially these are changing times at the moment. The BBC says

the upshot is financial reasons dictate that for the foreseeable future BBC Radio Bristol and BBC

Somerset will no longer carry more than one football commentary on the same afternoon and the

same evening, so that's the gist of the situation. Our football commentary this afternoon is the

fourth round of the FA cup Rovers at Barnet, but Sam thanks for the question, that may well head

off any more questions this afternoon. Essentially, for the forseeable future BBC Bristol/Somerset

is no longer carrying more than one football commentary on the same afternoon or the same

evening .

rovers away to doncaster yeovil at walsall

Lets look how "local" the Sports department is:

Ali Durdain not been heard of in a long time, the best radio commentator we have ever had (remember Mansfield 4-5?)

I listened to that Mansfield away game on the radio. Ali Durdain is a legend. :winner_third_h4h:

As the BBC is a public organisation funded via our taxes and licence fees, their public school educated class based leadership should be forced to come clean on how many people born in Bristol and the West are employed in senior positions. Have the overpaid and underworked Toffs that infest the BBC leadership got a problem with our accents? :whistle2:

Guest cityhead

Why bother with a phone in when it's the same idiots week after week.

Are you "Mark - thinks he's allan green" and sulking because he's missed his five minutes of fame this week?

Guest Hanhamreds

Amen to that!

The bloke who does Radio Bristol breakfeast show is from Northern Ireland with no connection to the area. This afternoon he was doing the P.A at the sports relief event at college green.

He was interveiwing a couple of lads he asked them where they were from they said they were from just down the road in Wells the Radio Bristol presenter replied ". Yes we know where Wales is" "No Wells not Wales". Said the young man.

This just sums up Radio Bristol presenters who just don't know the local geography.

The station as really lost it's way since Pemberton as become station manager.

The day when Gary J left the club the the daily phone in subject was about weddings. The phone in show used to be about local issues and national issues bit with a local slant all that is gone. It's all about relentionships it's like a cross between loose women and trisha.

NTDSand Red Goblin makes some good points. It's sad to see a once great local Radio station in such decline.

Listening to the sports traffic reports on Saturday

traffic reporter said be warned about extra traffic in the Ashton area in and around the SMIFF road area any one know where SMIFF road is?

I know there is a Smyth Road in Ashton

and I'll never forgive Clare Cavanagh for saying Bristol Rovers are at Gillingham today(with a hard "G") instead of actually pronouncing it Jillingham

but that's what get from employing persons who come from Dorset

NTDSand Red Goblin makes some good points. It's sad to see a once great local Radio station in such decline.

I know the way the BBC and such public organisations work with regard to recruitment and selection. If you're not public school and Oxbridge educated - or a thicko Toff with an influential Daddy :whistle2: - you wont have a cat in hells chance of a senior position where you can influence broadcasting. The ideal scenario would be for BBC radio Bristol to be run by and for local people.

I know the way the BBC and such public organisations work with regard to recruitment and selection. If you're not public school and Oxbridge educated - or a thicko Toff with an influential Daddy :whistle2: - you wont have a cat in hells chance of a senior position where you can influence broadcasting. The ideal scenario would be for BBC radio Bristol to be run by and for local people.

Would just like to echo the comments of Red Goblin and NTTDS.

Radio Bristol is I feel, a pale shadow of its former self. That's if you are lucky/unlucky enough to be able to get a signal.

I live in Shepton Mallet and for years we had good sports coverage of the Bristol and local area on 95.5 fm. Now you need an aerial 3mtrs long to be able to pick up poor reception on Radio Bristol 94.9 fm

There are many City and Rovers fans in this area who now get very little chance to keep up with Bristol sport via the radio.

Instead we have to put up with Yeovil Town coverage on 95.5fm

I feel Bristol City FC should be quite worried about this as the Radio station is losing potential new suporters for the club at a time when we will need to be filling a new stadium.

Sadly it seems like a sign of the times, with falling standards across the board.

These days if you blink you miss the sports TV coverage, they just don't seem to be interested in football anymore even though the game still attracts large numbers of people.

This subject may be boring to some but i feel its very relevant to those affected and to those who can see the bigger picture for the rising aspirations of BCFC.

I won't be swapping my red and white scarf for a green and white one anytime soon though, much to the annoyance of Tim Pemburton at Radio Bristol I'm sure.

Guest GUERNSEY TAFFY RED

I've always been amazed at the absolute lack of sport coverage in this region. If you go over the bridge, Real Radio is an example of how local sport should be covered. Every night has a sport phone in and virtually every aspect of Welsh sport is covered. Why can't we get the same on this side of the bridge. Maybe we all need to petition the BBC to give local sport more coverage, anyone got any suggestions?

The bloke who does Radio Bristol breakfeast show is from Northern Ireland with no connection to the area.

The day when Gary J left the club the the daily phone in subject was about weddings. The phone in show used to be about local issues and national issues bit with a local slant all that is gone. It's all about relentionships it's like a cross between loose women and trisha.

I had the misfortune to listen to that halfwit the other day when waiting for the sport bulletin, his accent is very irritating and he is inane, I wish he'd broadcast on Radio Ulster or somewhere much nearer home.

The era of Roger Bennett is long gone when nearly every presenter on the BBC is Irish or Scots.

Not true, I personally know people who went to state school, came from humble back grounds and have been high up in the BBC due to grafting and working their way up the ladder. That's quite an unfair generalisation to make about the organisation.

Guest silverfox

"Maybe we all need to petition the BBC to give local sport more coverage, anyone got any suggestions?"

How about getting Vicky Pollard to chair the Friday evening phone-in instead of Geoff Twentypiece?

Not true, I personally know people who went to state school, came from humble back grounds and have been high up in the BBC due to grafting and working their way up the ladder. That's quite an unfair generalisation to make about the organisation.

The BBC's main responsibility is to provide public service radio, television and internet broadcasting within the United Kingdom. With regard to public service radio in the Bristol area, the BBC is failing as outlined by Never To The Darkside and others on this thread. From this thread examples have been given of how broadcasting employees have been recruited from way outside the Bristol area. This is not fair on the licence fee paying Bristolian public as someone from outside the area is never going to have the same empathy toward Bristol sport and news as a Bristolian. Persoanally, I don't know of anyone from a humble Bristolian background that has succeeded to a level of power and authority within the local BBC. It's the same with the local gobshite Bristol MPs - how many of them are actually Bristolian?

"Maybe we all need to petition the BBC to give local sport more coverage, anyone got any suggestions?"

How about getting Vicky Pollard to chair the Friday evening phone-in instead of Geoff Twentypiece?

Ho Ho, get Vicky Pollard in as played by the fat git Cockney actor Matt Lucas. :icecream: No thanks, let's get a real thoroughbred Bristolian in to take the piss out of fat git ex public school Londoners like Matt Lucas at every opportunity. :winner_third_h4h:

For the record, I don't mind listening to scouser Geoff Twentypence because at least he's played football for a local football league club supported by a blue few.

Guest silverfox

No thanks, let's get a real thoroughbred Bristolian in to take the piss out of fat git ex public school Londoners like Matt Lucas at every opportunity. :winner_third_h4h:

OK. I'm prepared to compromise. How about Gareth Chilcott in drag? (Always makes for good radio). Let's forgive his flirtation with Bath shall we?

Lets look at whats wrong with the station

Tim pemberton said a couple of years ago you that live in the Frome and Surrounding areas you'll get to like us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twentyman use to host a open sports fans forum,the last one at Gloucester cricket ground,remember?

sports coverage has been reduced by one hour on Saturdays for the three local teams

but Swindon town start their football coverage at 1pm for its one and only football league team

No more XX.25 mins past the hour updates on Saturdays

phil gale does the in-fill spot when radio presenters are on holiday and he lives in london cos in the past he says I have travelled down by train from London

Talking about dismantling BBC Bristol from the inside(Trojan horse mis-management?)

The BBC's main responsibility is to provide public service radio, television and internet broadcasting within the United Kingdom. With regard to public service radio in the Bristol area, the BBC is failing as outlined by Never To The Darkside and others on this thread. From this thread examples have been given of how broadcasting employees have been recruited from way outside the Bristol area. This is not fair on the licence fee paying Bristolian public as someone from outside the area is never going to have the same empathy toward Bristol sport and news as a Bristolian. Persoanally, I don't know of anyone from a humble Bristolian background that has succeeded to a level of power and authority within the local BBC. It's the same with the local gobshite Bristol MPs - how many of them are actually Bristolian?

I do agree with you, I think the local station would sound 100x more authentic and have more identity if the presenters were atleast Bristolian. I really think it is something they should consider at the BBC.

Never To The Dark Side seems remarkably well-informed about the alleged geographical origins of Radio Bristol staff. do I detect some sort of grudge being publically aired? whistle.gif

Without doubt, Never To The Dark Side is the forum expert on all things local TV and Radio. :winner_third_h4h: We had the same kind of run in with the pro-Swinedon and anti-BCFC HTV West many years ago. Never To The Dark Side fights our corner well and gets my full backing against all those local media people that sell us short with regard to decent sport coverage for Bristol.

I honestly don't think it matters where some of the staff are from (and I'm aware of at least three City fans on the Points West staff) what matters is how well they do their job. After all, should we be demanding that City only play Bristolians???

There's much more of an issue over how the sport department is funded on the Beeb, but the bald fact is that with Murdoch driving up rights payments sky high (excuse the pun) the corporation isn't ever going to be able to compete. Well, not in its present all-singing, all-dancing set-up.

Come on NTTDS, no point, Ian and Co would have had nothing to moan about.whistle.gif

Maybe NTTDS himself wanted to ring up to publicly air his views after the BCFC v Geordie game? An opportunity denied to him by the BBC - that he actually helps to fund via his taxes. The local BBC are bang out of order as it was a big game with big local interest.

Don't get the 'local jobs for local people' thing at all. Nice to hear Bristol accents, of course, but knowledge of and passion for your subject/craft are the key skills.

I come from a humble-ish Bristol background and have a good job in the media in London - should I give that job to a 'local'? Not likely!

Perhaps you are better keeping your opinion to yourself instead of insulting a decent forum member

Just because you have become one Robins72?

All the best & loads of BCFC LOVE from Dorset

You still are the one and only ;) (oooo erm might get people talking)

UP THE CITY!

. It's the same with the local gobshite Bristol MPs - how many of them are actually Bristolian?

And even more worringly the local gobshite Bristol councillors. No local pride, just want to turn us into Anytown, Anywhereshire as typified by the massive missed opportunity when they turned the centre into a giant concrete slab and have done nothing to stop the waterfront start to become run down already. And as for turning one of the hilliest cities in Britain into a cycling city by painting white lines on the roads and pavements - wtf!!!?

Archived