IGNORED

Coppell In

Donald

Following a meeting a meeting with SL in a Bath Hotel.

Millen to revert to Number 2

and interestingly someone else coming in as a "link" between Lansdown/Coppell with a footballing background, I.E Sexstone - dealing with stadium and business side of the club and someone else overseeing football side as a whole.

Due to be announced by Friday, Millen take charge of Swansea Game with a view to taking charge after that game.

Believe or Disbelieve. Only time will prove me right or wrong

and interestingly someone else coming in as a "link" between Lansdown/Coppell with a footballing background, I.E Sexstone - dealing with stadium and business side of the club and someone else overseeing football side as a whole.

Due to be announced by Friday, Millen take charge of Swansea Game with a view to taking charge after that game.

I hope you're right.

I believe he would be a massive coup for the club.

If this is confirmed Coppell would be an excellent choice.

Very well respected in football by fans and media alike and City's profile would rise considerably.

Despite my initial criticism and reservations regarding Millen I'll be pleased if he's staying on too.

I really, really, really hope you are right.

Oh allright, if no one else is going to bother...SAUCE?

Sauce.....I'd recommend Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce with Scrambed Egg.....under-rated but highly recommended.

Not that I am saying you are wrong (or right for that matter) but surely we have someone looking after the "stadium/business" side of things already, in the shape of Doug Harman?

Fair point well made....the "i.e" was purely me guess work unfortunately, sorry for the confusion, That said, despite their titles, I've no clue what either does (anyone??) perhaps this newcomer is a replacement for someone outgoing?

IF true, and IF this proves to be true, IF being a very big word, then this shows several things.

A .How far this club has really come in the last 4 or 5 seasons.

B. Shows SL comitment to this football club.

C. Sends out a huge message to the other CCC clubs the ambition of Bristol City fc

D. Proves what a massive cog in the whole system GJ was , and needs praise for bringing about such opportunities that this club now have

IF true, and IF this proves to be true, IF being a very big word, then this shows several things.

C. Sends out a huge message to the other CCC clubs the ambition of Bristol City fc

D. Proves what a massive cog in the whole system GJ was , and needs praise for bringing about such opportunities that this club now have

Ain't that the truth - well said that man

Sauce.....I'd recommend Lea &

Perrins Worcester sauce with Scrambed Egg.....under-rated

but highly recommended.

Is it really that good! Do u recomend free range?

Fair point well made....the "i.e" was purely me guess work unfortunately, sorry for the confusion, That said, despite their titles, I've no clue what either does (anyone??) perhaps this newcomer is a replacement for someone outgoing?

I find this bit interesting, have been thinking SL may want to take more of a back seat lately.

Also watched an interview with ex Hull Chairman Paul Duffen not too long ago, he stated he was coming back into football with a role similar to this. Not as a Chairman but more of a CEO type role (what he hinted at) and investing some money within that club.

Guest RedTilDead

Coppell has been my first choice since GJ left. Hoping its true! would be a massive coup for the club!

If this is true, my money would be on Nicky Hammond to be the go-between fella. He pulled the strings at Reading in a similar role and, iirc, was pivotal in their bringing in the likes of Hunt, Kitson, Doyle, Long, Sidwell, Harper, Upson (on loan) and Shorey. According to Wikipedia, he was Youth Academy Director from 2000 to 2003 and, from 2003 to date, has been their Director of Football.

Hope that the bit about keeping KM is true too. Despite the low regard he's held in by a few on here who've formed an emphatic opinion based on the square root of bugger all, he's a pretty talented individual and I've a suspicion we'll be seeing him operating at a comfortably higher level than Bristol City in a decade or so.

I'm so excited by this, I have just burned my pizza! If this turns out to be true you will be an OTIB god to me Donnie! :worship2:

If this is true, my money would be on Nicky Hammond to be the go-between fella. He pulled the strings at Reading in a similar role and, iirc, was pivotal in their bringing in the likes of Hunt, Kitson, Doyle, Long, Sidwell, Harper, Upson (on loan) and Shorey. According to Wikipedia, he was Youth Academy Director from 2000 to 2003 and, from 2003 to date, has been their Director of Football.

Hope that the bit about keeping KM is true too. Despite the low regard he's held in by a few on here who've formed an emphatic opinion based on the square root of bugger all, he's a pretty talented individual and I've a suspicion we'll be seeing him operating at a comfortably higher level than Bristol City in a decade or so.

Its well known that Lansdown has long been an admirer of the Reading 'model' and it would be a major coup if he was to pick up their 'dream team' to take us onwards and upwards. If we get Coppell then it will be a full house against Derby and roll on with the good times.

Guest Bounce Around the Ground

Hammond available too it seems.......

Nick Hammond: My work isn't done here

By Jonny Fordham

February 12, 2010

Nick Hammond has committed his immediate future to Reading, but declined to comment on whether he has signed a new contract with the club.

Hammond's current deal as Royals' director of football expires this summer.

And sources close to the 42-year-old told getreading that he had been considering leaving.

Hammond, who was linked to a similar role at Arsenal three years ago, has been Reading's director of football since 2003.

Prior to that he was the Academy manager for three years having finished his playing days at the club.

Responding to the speculation, he said: "I have a good relationship with the chairman (Sir John Madejski) and he has made it clear that he wants me to stay. I've been here a long time and the chairman sees my role as important to the football club going forward.

"You never know what might happen in the future. I love this club and there have been opportunities for me in the past, but I have always been absolutely dedicated to this club, which I believe has the ability to become established in the Premier League."

Many fans have been critical of Hammond's role over the past couple of seasons as Royals have slipped out of the Premier League and are currently struggling at the bottom of the Championship.

As well as handling contract negotiations and player signings, Hammond also scouts players for the club.

Normally I'd be against having a director of football, but I didn't even know Reading had this guy in charge so he must have done a good job there.

Anyway, really hope this is true about Coppell!!

Guest leedsred

Well it all makes sense in regards that Coppell has always worked with coaches which have been at clubs. He doesn't really have a backroom team that follow him around as far as I know. I think Wally Downes worked with Coppell at Brentford and was then taken to Reading as defense coach but that was because he was out of work at the time.... all the others were already there.

As for Nicky Hammond being brought in... well some of the players mentioned by the poster below were Coppell signings and some were Hammond. Certainly I don't think there was a great working relationship between the two guys at Reading. Basically Coppell works on his own on the football side of things, and part of the problem in Reading's relegation season was put down to Coppell not fancing the players Hammond bought.

Anyway that's not gospal but it was rumours quite close to the sources.

HOWEVER - Coppell/Millen combination I would be very happy with.

Guest awilko

How will this be announced Friday when SL has already stated that no decision will be made until after the S****horpe game at the earliest?

Better to announce it now if true rather than wait and see someone else pinch him.

You never know he may have wanted Coppell but he never applied so SL was waiting for the next best in O'Driscoll but then suddenly Coppell applies and he ticks all the right boxes, you then dont want to wait until after the S****horpe game like he said if youve got the man you wanted.

How will this be announced Friday when SL has already stated that no decision will be made until after the S****horpe game at the earliest?

I think SL just said Millen would be in charge for four games, he probably would still be in charge on the Saturday if it's only announced on the Friday.

Always wanted Stevie Coppell, if true then this is bloody brilliant news.

Not sure about this third man though, I dont see the need for another body on the payroll; Coppell with

the current management team should be enough to handle the job.

Too many chefs in the kitchen?

Erm... without meaning to be rude to the op, why does this rumour seem to have so much more credence than all the other unsubstantiated rumours posted on here? Is it possible that someone just saw the article in the sunday people and put this together. Don't get me wrong, he's my first choice too, but i just don't want to get carried away

I find this bit interesting, have been thinking SL may want to take more of a back seat lately.

Also watched an interview with ex Hull Chairman Paul Duffen not too long ago, he stated he was coming back into football with a role similar to this. Not as a Chairman but more of a CEO type role (what he hinted at) and investing some money within that club.

I don't think that's a secret he wants to do away with coming into Bristol on a daily basis and with him recently buying his plane with a view to moving to tax-free State within the next few months it all seems to tie up.

Time will tell.....

Guest Bigdave60

If this is true i will be renewing my season ticket, one which i have had for over 25 years. And a supporter for 55 years.dancing6.gif

Couple of points to make really.

1. Hopefully this is true as I belive it is the best way forward for the club, and does show how far we have come and can go in the future.

2. I heard something similair on Saturday which stated he would be announced on Wednesday, which got me thinking what happened to Milly's four games

3. Perhaps Milly has indicated he is not yet ready for the job on a full time basis which has promoted SL to make the appointment now.

4. Coppell hardly ever brings anyone in which could tie in with point 3.

Just my thoughts anyhow!

Not sure what you’re on about SL moving away. Both my next door neighbour (who's very good friends with SL as their kids used to go to school together) and another neighbour across the road with very good links to the boardroom both told me SL wasn't at the Barnsley game because he and his wife have just bought a new house and were moving in......he’s staying in the Bristol area.....so that seems like an unsubstantiated statement.

yep.

downsizing in Bristol, (don't really want to go into personal details as to be fair it's not our business) but he's moving to channel islands which is understandable if you look at the amount of tax he pays, hence the private jet for commuting.

unless of course he spent all that money on a plane just for away games

As I said before though....Time will tell....if I'm great, if not I'll have my clown suit ready.

The important thing which I think is the biggest issue about Coppell which I'm concerned about is his Contract, Seen in the past if he doesn't always like working under a contract which was his situation at Reading, Question is.....Will he be up for City for the long haul and sign a long term contract? THAT I'D LOVE TO KNOW?

yep.

downsizing in Bristol, (don't really want to go into personal details as to be fair it's not our business) but he's moving to channel islands which is understandable if you look at the amount of tax he pays, hence the private jet for commuting.

As I said before though....Time will tell....if I'm great, if not I'll have my clown suit ready.

The important thing which I think is the biggest issue about Coppell which I'm concerned about is his Contract, Seen in the past if he doesn't always like working under a contract which was his situation at Reading, Question is.....Will he be up for City for the long haul and sign a long term contract? THAT I'D LOVE TO KNOW?

But then I guess from an SL point of view if it doesn't work, no big pay out like with GJ!

Not sure what you're on about SL moving away. Both my next door neighbour (who's very good friends with SL as their kids used to go to school together) and another neighbour across the road with very good links to the boardroom both told me SL wasn't at the Barnsley game because he and his wife have just bought a new house and were moving in......he's staying in the Bristol area.....so that seems like an unsubstantiated statement.

Actually it's pretty much correct, not that I like discussing the private life of our good chairman & his family.

After the amount of fuss caused when GJ got a long term contract, would you really want him to?

I'd rather just employ the new manager normally, but with a 6 month notice period and a big compensation clause to the club if they break that.

5 year contracts for managers are stupid and unnecessary; hopefully the lesson has been learnt.

I'd rather just employ the new manager normally, but with a 6 month notice period and a big compensation clause to the club if they break that.

5 year contracts for managers are stupid and unnecessary; hopefully the lesson has been learnt.

I agree about the 5 yr contract but the compensation would have to be based on the length of time left on the contract I believe, but then if SC or any other manager gets us up who cares about the contract?

Guest jhowie11

yep.

Fair enough, i stand corrected....you seem to be fairly certain of this so ill believe you

Guest Rich i e

Any new boss would be silly to not at least consider Millen as No 2 given his recent record and knowledge of the squad.

If this is true Coppell/Millen, not sure how Coppell manages his clubs, but it could work along the lines of Martin O'Neill who apparenently is rarely seen at the training ground, but has impact on matchdays, could be the same thing, as Millen has proved he can do a decent job day to day.

Who knows! dunno.gif

Guest DolmanRed

Can second this - have inside information that curbishly has put his homes in clifton,failand,portishead and knowle back on the market

Although an admirer of Odrisscoll, especially for the style of play and how he has managed to get Donny to where they are on a conserative budget, getting Copple would be an amazing coup, if he can take Reading from the lower leagues and gates of six thousand to the prem and gates quadrupled, just think what he could do for us given the right backing!

I don't think that's a secret he wants to do away with coming into Bristol on a daily basis and with him recently buying his plane with a view to moving to tax-free State within the next few months it all seems to tie up.

I thought he already had done? He moved to the Channel Islands....

Edit: see you've already made that point yourself later - sorry. I heard this reliably also.

Guest redal

Because I want to see a completely fresh approach... let Coppell (or whoever) name his own coaches... Millen's had his time...

I PERSONALY THINK MILLY WILL GO WITH GJ AT PETERBOUGH AS NUMBER 2 AGAIN

Guest LeBlueRouge

Top post Mr Gow. Spot on.

But then I guess from an SL point of view if it doesn't work, no big pay out like with GJ!

I did hear that he didnt get a big pay off due to the events after the plymouth game( changing room fracas).Contract was agreed to be paid upto the end of the season,along with mutual agreement statement. Dont shoot the messanger,just something i heard!!!

Archived