IGNORED

Coppell In

Donald

I did hear that he didnt get a big pay off due to the events after the plymouth game( changing room fracas).Contract was agreed to be paid upto the end of the season,along with mutual agreement statement. Dont shoot the messanger,just something i heard!!!

heard the same.

Coppell does seem the best candidate...

Steve made a pointed comment early on about managers wanting to bring their own people in. He clearly wasn't keen on having to stump up for a whole management team. I suspect he may have made it a condition of any appointment that Keith stays on as a result and to give the continuity he is so keen on. Coppell doesn't seem inclined to take an entourage of his mates with him wherever he goes which would be fine by Steve.

I PERSONALY THINK MILLY WILL GO WITH GJ AT PETERBOUGH AS NUMBER 2 AGAIN

I think Millen will elave us, but not to follow GJ. His recent comments in the Press suggest he is ready to step up to the plate as a manager, it wont be here, but wouldnt be at all suprised to see a Lesgue 2 club take a gamble on him soon

I did hear that he didnt get a big pay off due to the events after the plymouth game( changing room fracas).Contract was agreed to be paid upto the end of the season,along with mutual agreement statement. Dont shoot the messanger,just something i heard!!!

And you heard correctly Si

Guest redal

I think Millen will elave us, but not to follow GJ. His recent comments in the Press suggest he is ready to step up to the plate as a manager, it wont be here, but wouldnt be at all suprised to see a Lesgue 2 club take a gamble on him soon

peterbough will be a leaque 1 club next season. so that should suit him

I thought he already had done? He moved to the Channel Islands....

Edit: see you've already made that point yourself later - sorry. I heard this reliably also.

SL has definately bought a property in the Channel islands (Guernsey I believe) he wants to base himself over there predominately, but will obviously be over here a fair time because of business and City, source is a friend of the family.

peterbough will be a leaque 1 club next season. so that should suit him

If i was a betting man,i'd put my money on Millen staying on as number 2. Along with the contract pay off i mentioned earlier, i heard KM fell out with GJ over the treatment of a player or 2. So that doesnt go along with some peoples theory of KM being GJ's yes man! There wasnt a complete breakdown in their relationship or anything, but there was a disagreement over it. So i dont expect to see KM in Peterborough any time soon! Again, dont shoot the messanger!

Any new boss would be silly to not at least consider Millen as No 2 given his recent record and knowledge of the squad.

Agreed, you cant knock the fact hes got the team playing flowing football, looking and sounding happy.

Impressed if it is indeed Steve Coppell, as previous posters have said, says much about this club and its future.

Interesting times ahead. hopefully Scotty will get a job in the backroom team as well, keeping continuity here...

SL has definately bought a property in the Channel islands (Guernsey I believe) he wants to base himself over there predominately, but will obviously be over here a fair time because of business and City, source is a friend of the family.

Tax exile ?

I don't think that's a secret he wants to do away with coming into Bristol on a daily basis and with him recently buying his plane with a view to moving to tax-free State within the next few months it all seems to tie up.

Time will tell.....

SL already lives in his tax free haven. in the Channel Islands, but yes he does need someone here so he can spend less time here.

Guest Bigdave60

If this is the case why have you not renewed already? If you have been a supporter for 55 years!

Because the last 18 months has been dire, you can only take so much.

Was a protest i guess against a manager who had lost the plot and his players. fastasleep.gif

Because the last 18 months has been dire, you can only take so much.

Was a protest i guess against a manager who had lost the plot and his players. fastasleep.gif

Well you must have had your own mini protest every year for those 25yrs? The dark days of Div 2/League One was surely worse than what we've got now? GJ brought nothing but success until he had run his course.

Obviously doesn't bother me what you do, just seems a bit dramatic?!

surrender.gif

Amazed that GJ is going to take a job at Peterborough and hasn't set his sight's higher or have better offers.

Definitely expect Millen to stay. Continuity as mentioned and player respect. Also aids Coppell's introduction

Coppell coming to the club brings proven experience, good contacts, the ability to attract better players, high profile for BCFC and if he does well, will position us nicely for the news stadium and a new start

Amazed that GJ is going to take a job at Peterborough and hasn't set his sight's higher or have better offers.

Definitely expect Millen to stay. Continuity as mentioned and player respect. Also aids Coppell's introduction

Coppell coming to the club brings proven experience, good contacts, the ability to attract better players, high profile for BCFC and if he does well, will position us nicely for the news stadium and a new start

It kind of confirms to me that he really has lost the plot in the last 12 months. 'The Madness of King Gary'. Honestly, surely if he'd hung around until the summer he could have at least found another job in the Championship. Weird. Mind you, his exploits will provide an interesting backdrop to next season won't it?

Anyway, I'd be cautiously optimistic under SC! If true, let's all not expect miracles over night eh?

It kind of confirms to me that he really has lost the plot in the last 12 months. 'The Madness of King Gary'. Honestly, surely if he'd hung around until the summer he could have at least found another job in the Championship. Weird. Mind you, his exploits will provide an interesting backdrop to next season won't it?

I think that is a pretty good job for GJ.

He is best managing clubs who have have hit a low and need lifting- he is also better with average players who work hard rather than big names. I predict he will get Peterborough playing well and get them into the top 6 within 18 months in League 1.

Not that I am saying you are wrong (or right for that matter) but surely we have someone looking after the "stadium/business" side of things already, in the shape of Doug Harman?

I thought Sexstone was overseeing the whole sale of stadium/new stadium thing and Harman was just looking after the day to day operational stuff?

I'd rather just employ the new manager normally, but with a 6 month notice period and a big compensation clause to the club if they break that.

5 year contracts for managers are stupid and unnecessary; hopefully the lesson has been learnt.

I wouldn't worry about it, Coppell seems to walk out whenever he feels like it...........................

In reply to the original poster 'donnie'

looks like it's not a done deal with Coppell (anouncement Friday)

if Millen is still in the frame til the Scunny match.

Was your 'source' The People by any chance?

Guest Who Shot JR?

Following a meeting a meeting with SL in a Bath Hotel.

Millen to revert to Number 2

and interestingly someone else coming in as a "link" between Lansdown/Coppell with a footballing background, I.E Sexstone - dealing with stadium and business side of the club and someone else overseeing football side as a whole.

Due to be announced by Friday, Millen take charge of Swansea Game with a view to taking charge after that game.

Believe or Disbelieve. Only time will prove me right or wrong

I shall pray every night and promise to eat my sprouts. ;)

Guest Who Shot JR?

I think GJ knows his strengths (but not his weaknesses!) and is retreating to his comfort zone ie. managing a club with promise, but rudderless at the same time. I'm sure he'll whip up a storm in League 1 (again) next season and he will be regarded as the Messiah in Peterborough, and why not? Good luck GJ.

I've never made any secret of the fact that I thought Coppell would be the best choice, so I really do hope this is true.

I'm not at all sure I want a director of football scenario, I would hope if someone else is coming in at a board level they are going to be looking at the academy.

I'd want the first team squad to be entirely under the control of the manager, including signing players.

It'd be really nice if Keith Millen was staying on as well.

I doubt SteveL is directly lying when he says "not this week" but I hope he's just keeping cards close to his chest and has an agreement in principle with Steve Coppell already.

As an aside and without getting into politics too much I think it's really quite disappointing that our government place such a heavy tax burden on successful entrepreneurs like SteveL that they feel it best to move abroad. This country needs more successful businesses like his, not less.

In reply to the original poster 'donnie'

looks like it's not a done deal with Coppell (anouncement Friday)

if Millen is still in the frame til the Scunny match.

Was your 'source' The People by any chance?

Seen the interview and stand by my original postings and would hardly expect Steve to say anything less.

Hadn't actually seen the paper report till it was mentioned on here after I'd made my post.

One thing I will say though is much as I dislike the redtops as much as the next person, you have to remember where did the first news of Johnson going come from? The Mirror. Not that I'm saying they are right or that they back up the story at all with any credibility.

Seen the interview and stand by my original postings and would hardly expect Steve to say anything less.

Hadn't actually seen the paper report till it was mentioned on here after I'd made my post.

One thing I will say though is much as I dislike the redtops as much as the next person, you have to remember where did the first news of Johnson going come from? The Mirror. Not that I'm saying they are right or that they back up the story at all with any credibility.

It is good you are willing to stand by your convictions. We all hope your right.

Guest i remember dickie rooks

if Copell thought it was stressful at Man City, wait until this forum gets going after the first home defeat, or even draw

if Copell thought it was stressful at Man City, wait until this forum gets going after the first home defeat, or even draw

I don't think the stress factor at AG compares with most Premier League clubs and if you ever read other clubs' forums you'll quickly see that football fans are largely the same whoever they support.

Any manager who takes much notice of comments on a fans forum really shouldn't be in the game at all.

I don't think the stress factor at AG compares with most Premier League clubs and if you ever read other clubs' forums you'll quickly see that football fans are largely the same whoever they support.

Any manager who takes much notice of comments on a fans forum really shouldn't be in the game at all.

Either that, or go and work for Peterboro.

Just reading between the lines of what SL and KM have said over the past day or two, it sort of indicates that SL has already got a preferred candidate lined up and is waiting on KM's decision. If KM say no I don't think I'm ready then it's the case of are you prepared to work under the new gaffer (hopefully Coppell, and if it is I'm sure thats quite attractive to KM, knowing he can learn his trade further under a proven figure)

If KM says I want the job, then it gives SL food for thought and if the good run continues over the next couple of games then SL's decision will become increasingly harder.

Just for the record. The betting is now back up with Victor Chandlor and Coppell is still 4/5 with KM at 7/2.

With these 'strong' rumours going around on here, I thought there may have been some movement with Coppell shortening.

my money is on sean o'driscoll. just have a feeling.

coppell is a good manager - but I dont think he'd be very motivated - he's got teams promoted from this division - he has'nt got anything to prove at this level. for that reason... I'm out :closedeyes:

I'm sure the Manc's can dish it out with the best of us (listen to 606), A little mouse mentioned he got caught doing something at Man C allegedly.

I've seen some rumours about SC too, if they are the same ones that you've heard I'd hope that we're all big enough to not give a stuff.

If they aren't the same ones, then spill the beans bucko!!

my money is on sean o'driscoll. just have a feeling.

coppell is a good manager - but I dont think he'd be very motivated - he's got teams promoted from this division - he has'nt got anything to prove at this level. for that reason... I'm out closedeyes.gif

I've done my job well before (i've also done it poorly!), but that doesn't mean because i was good at it for a time i have no desire to be any good at it again. If he takes the job he's going to do the best he can. He won't take it (presuming he's been offered it) if he can't be bothered

A good point made Riaz with Coppell's been there and done it record, his motivation could be questioned.

It just seems to me that KM has backed tracked a little about wanting the job. Which is strange as I thought he did going back a week or so, and now with more good results under his belt it should be more clear to him and us that he does. He just seems to me to be sitting on the fence more than ever before.

Might be clutching at straws but he could be relishing working under someone of substantial stature and this hunch isn't taken these rumours into account.

Just have a feeling that SL has his preferred choice and is waiting to slot everything into place.

If it was someone already employed, then a formal approach would need to be made and we haven't heard nowt on that front.

quote from Coppell when he left Reading:

"I think it's time for a break. I've done eight years on the bounce as a manager and you never get chance to draw breath." Despite planning to take time off from the game, Coppell insists he will return to management in the future.

"I want to try and continue my education as a manager," he added. "Football people are creatures of routine and it was weird waking up this morning with nothing to do.

"I'll enjoy a break with a view to coming back to management in the future. You never know when that will be but it is my intention."

I've done my job well before (i've also done it poorly!), but that doesn't mean because i was good at it for a time i have no desire to be any good at it again. If he takes the job he's going to do the best he can. He won't take it (presuming he's been offered it) if he can't be bothered

but surely its time to prove himself at a higher level. to start again, after what he acheived at reading, would be daunting.

but surely its time to prove himself at a higher level. to start again, after what he acheived at reading, would be daunting.

I do understand where you're coming from, but perhaps Coppell feels he has a great chance of building a club to manage in the Prem? It all went a bit pear shaped at Reading and perhaps he feels that to do the same thing with us but then keep us there for more than one season would be a new challenge, or at least a more successful attempt at the old challenge

I had the same worries about Coppell's possible lack of motivation. However, if SL meets him and is convinced by him, then that's good enough for me.

To be fair, none of us know him or what Coppell & SL have been up to in recent days/weeks.

What these people up top may say to the media isn't really 100% the truth.

If he wants the job, or gets the job, as a manger he'll always be more than motivated!

Nonsense. How much grief did GJ get on matchdays? How many songs calling for his head? How many 'Johnson Out' banners? How many gangs of city fans outside the directors entrance calling for his head?

Johnson may not have liked much of the forum discussion, but as far him having hard time from City fans ... he could get FAR worse elsewhere IMO.

Can confirm its SC, he's just bought the house next door to me in St George, its the posh part of the street you understand, the dealers and single parents live up the other end.

I spoke to him a hour ago and he tells me his plans are to get Bristol City not only in the prem but in Europe too.

Happy Days

Nonsense. How much grief did GJ get on matchdays? How many songs calling for his head? How many 'Johnson Out' banners? How many gangs of city fans outside the directors entrance calling for his head?

Johnson may not have liked much of the forum discussion, but as far him having hard time from City fans ... he could get FAR worse elsewhere IMO.

couldnt agree more. this illusion thats some people are trying to create that GJ was hounded out is utter tommy rollocks. we were floudering badly and the stick he got was extremely tame considering the dire football on offer and the obvious mistake he made this last 18 months in both signings and tactics/team selections.

take a look at a few other clubs and see teh way their fans operate and people will see we are no different and possibly even more patient than some.

Slightly off topic but........... If SC gets the job ,where do you think that leaves Scott Murray and his wish to come back to City in some sort of role? How did he and SC get on during his brief stay at Reading? Think Scott's contract is up at Yeovil in the summer.

Would love to see him back at the club.

Slightly off topic but........... If SC gets the job ,where do you think that leaves Scott Murray and his wish to come back to City in some sort of role? How did he and SC get on during his brief stay at Reading? Think Scott's contract is up at Yeovil in the summer.

Would love to see him back at the club.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him back at City working for the academy, but obviously the final call is with any new manager.

He went to Yeovil solely to continue playing and unfortunately it's not really happened down their and Scott's admitted himself his legs "aren't what they were"

As for him and Coppell, their had a respectful seperation I believe, Coppell took over and admitted he was unsettled at Reading and wanted to come back to Bristol and Coppell had no problem and liked his honesty rather than just turning up for a pay cheque.

I had the same worries about Coppell's possible lack of motivation. However, if SL meets him and is convinced by him, then that's good enough for me.

I'm with you on that one.

SC interviews do tend to make you switch off with a bit of mumbling etc... but Johnson liked a laugh and a joke, so can anyone actually visualise him giving the hand grenade treatment during halftime? Johnson comes across as a likeable bloke, but ranted and raved around the players so much so he lost their support.

SC comes across as a mumbler during interviews, but away from the press must do something right as he has a good record, similar to GJ.

MM

I have heard the same info from a reliable sauce! Just a bit miffed how his price is still 4-5, I managed to get a couple of hundred on no problem but obviously everyone else hasn't or price would be a lot shorter. Anyone else been steaming into it, or likely to?

I have heard the same info from a reliable sauce! Just a bit miffed how his price is still 4-5, I managed to get a couple of hundred on no problem but obviously everyone else hasn't or price would be a lot shorter. Anyone else been steaming into it, or likely to?

Possibly the same source i had just heard it from, who in turn has friends at bbc west. *crosses fingers*

You must be confident its Coppell, or maybe just rather hopeful?..., praying%20smiley.gif I would have to be pretty darn sure to bet a few hundred on a rumor, if it was in anyway a done deal the bookies would be among the first to know, and uhh, stop taking bets, although 4/5 is hardly worth the bother imo, but if your sure....Let me be among the first to welcome Mr Coppell to AG, We hope you enjoy your stay. :trumpet:

I don't think it's SC, but i hope for you it is, my money would be on SOD if i gambled

Dont worry about coppell's on screen persona - apparently he's a real player's man and quite a laugh on the training ground.

:source: The reason I ask is that I believe you to be correct, though I have no inside info so it's only a gut feeling.

Would love this to be true but still not convinced that it is.

Time will tell I guess and would be a very good appointment IMHO and would be a real indication of how far this football club has come in recent years.

If we do land SC then it'll be a very exciting summer with the world cup and the anticipation of next season with SC spending some of SL pennies at the same time !

dancing6.gif

Find that hard to beleive as the two bookies offering odds have maximums set at £20/£25 on next manager betting to stop people with inside information ripping them off. I got £20 on coppell at 20/1.

Sorry to disappoint you, but they wouldnt be getting much business if not prepared to lay a decent amount at odds on. Yes at 20-1 you wont get more than £25 on but at 4-5 you will (as I have). I asked Betfair to open a market on this but they wont as its not a prem job. But here is my bet, copy and pasted:

06/04/2010 GBP 250.00 Single: STEVE COPPELL @ 4/5 [Outrigh... Returns: £ 0.00

Bet ID: 206680***** Time: 13:08 Bet Type: Single Stake: £250.00 Event Selection Price E/W Terms Status Next Permanent Bristol City Manager - Manager Specials Steve Coppell 4/5 Win only Unsettled

Well i spoke to victor chandler and asked whats the maximum i could bet on coppell to be next manager at 4/5 and they replied £25.

I done it online with a new account as well, no referral or anything the bet went straight through - and that is a fact. Maybe you are an arber or have a marked account with them?

Sorry to disappoint you, but they wouldnt be getting much business if not prepared to lay a decent amount at odds on. Yes at 20-1 you wont get more than £25 on but at 4-5 you will (as I have). I asked Betfair to open a market on this but they wont as its not a prem job. But here is my bet, copy and pasted:

06/04/2010 GBP 250.00 Single: STEVE COPPELL @ 4/5 [Outrigh... Returns: £ 0.00

Bet ID: 206680***** Time: 13:08 Bet Type: Single Stake: £250.00 Event Selection Price E/W Terms Status Next Permanent Bristol City Manager - Manager Specials Steve Coppell 4/5 Win only Unsettled

fair play....hopefully I'll have something else to post tomorrow

24167_381040153122_589658122_4006709_7858912_n.jpg

Archived