IGNORED

Gerken

Tins

On todays performance is he good enough to be our number 1 keeper.

Yes many mistakes were made by Nyatanga but Gerken wasnt talking to him. He himself made some errors and his kicking was awful.

Your views please

Guest surreyred

I must admit I was surprised not to see HENDERSON play today. I thought he had done well, and I would have let him carry on to the end of the season for the experience.

Maybe SC has concerns and wants a look at him before the summer, like SAWYER and AGYEMANG.

Yes many mistakes were made by Nyatanga but Gerken wasnt talking to him. He himself made some errors and his kicking was awful.

Your views please

No he aint. 2nd half every attack, Gerkin make silly errors of one form or another. Ironic when you see some of his excellent stops.

I must admit I was surprised not to see HENDERSON play today. I thought he had done well, and I would have let him carry on to the end of the season for the experience.

Maybe SC has concerns and wants a look at him before the summer, like SAWYER and AGYEMANG.

i thought Sawyer played reasonably well today, made some well timed challenges.

great reflex shot stopper yes .......

command of his area is dire, his kicking is worse,

Henderson is way more confident in those two important aspects, and the defence seems more comfortable with Henderson behind them, with Gerkin, they have no idea if he's staying on his line, or coming for the ball ........

Henderson, has done nothing wrong, and should start next week

Your views please

Simple answer is no.

We need an established goalie who can assure our defence, he isn't near enough good to do that quite yet.

Ruthless or whatever, I wouldn't be sad to see him go in exchange for a better alternative during the summer. Wouldn't surprise me if Coppell brings in another keeper during the summer and lets Collis go, putting Hendo or Gerken on the bench (if he is still here).

It seems strange how all these outfield players of ours get constant slatings (on this forum particuarly), though arguably the most error prone player in our team doesn't get it that much.

He's a good shot stopper, but not a good, rounded keeper.

:yes:

Only one of the three worth it TBH. That being Sawyer.

Guest hutch

I agree his shot-stopping is excellent but in all fairness all keepers should have that skill.

His communication with his defence is poor and his kicking is a little better than Basso.

I was impressed with Henderson when he deputised. He is not helped when Louis thinks

he can walk the ball out of defence with no one covering him !

I believe Gerken needs time, he came to us expecting to play second fiddle and was thrown in at the deep end almost, from what i have seen he has been fairly decent with the odd hiccup. With him still being young I reckon he still has time to develop and become even better for next season and really establish himself as a long term number 1. If we are looking into getting a new Gk, what about Kasper Schemiechel? (sp.) My housemate is a Notts County fan and told me that he is on silly money there (well silly money for league 2 standard) and reckons they wont be able to afford to keep him there. Reckon he would be a solid keeper for us, having already played at the highest level for man city, and still fairly young as well

I was very dissapointed that Henderson never kept his place yesterday, i never saw the S****horpe game but the other 2 games he did nothing wrong and for me deserved to keep his place, as for Gerken i feel he is an excellent shot stopper and has pulled off some superb saves throughout the year and saved us several points but his all round keeping is not up to it YET but he is still young and will hopefully improve with experience, the question being will he get a chance to improve as number 1 next season or will it be a posistion that Coppell will identify as needing inprovement. Personally i hope Henderson will get a chance to prove himself as either number 1 or as back up as he looks that he has the making of a very good keeper, he is commanding in the area, sweeps up behind the defence and his kicking is excellent as well, will this be enough to get him his chance only Mr Coppell will know

Guest bcfcas1

Give the guy a break, you cant really judge him on todays performance, given he has just come back from that pretty nasty collision. He has the ability to be a great keeper, you needs experience in decision making, which will come over time and with training.

I believe Gerken needs time, he came to us expecting to play second fiddle and was thrown in at the deep end almost, from what i have seen he has been fairly decent with the odd hiccup. With him still being young I reckon he still has time to develop and become even better for next season and really establish himself as a long term number 1. If we are looking into getting a new Gk, what about Kasper Schemiechel? (sp.) My housemate is a Notts County fan and told me that he is on silly money there (well silly money for league 2 standard) and reckons they wont be able to afford to keep him there. Reckon he would be a solid keeper for us, having already played at the highest level for man city, and still fairly young as well

Stick him on the bench ten or loan him out to a League 1 club. If not, then get rid, you can't gamble with goalies so much, especially when they're regarded as your number one!

Give the guy a break, you cant really judge him on todays performance, given he has just come back from that pretty nasty collision. He has the ability to be a great keeper, you needs experience in decision making, which will come over time and with training.

My judgment is given after a season. Can he really become a great keeper? That would be a strong word, great. He could become a decent enoug Championship goalie, but maybe after years of playing. Do we have that time if we want to become a Premiersip/promotion pushing side?

I think not.

Every team that gets promoted from this league have a very good 1st choice goalie. Not someone plucked from the lower leagues.

Gerken is a liabilty. He has won us some games early in the season with some great stops but the second half of the season he has been an accident waiting to happen in most games. Can't understand what Henderson did to be dropped and I echo people's sentiments that Gerken is fine as a back up keeper but clearly is not good enough to be our number 1.

I can see a new keeper being brought in as a number one with gerkin playing as a number 2 and Henderson going out on loan to an average league 1 club where he will be worked a lot and there for learn a lot and gain valuable 1st team expieriance, as much potential as he might have that's all it is at the moment and I feel he needs that growing up and learning time and surley we can't afford that to be at our expense. He is still very young and has every chance of becoming a top number 1 in the future and hopefully that will be with us. I would like to throw a couple of names about as to the sort of keeper I think we need and should be looking at recruting. How about speroni or paddy kenny. Not sure what sheff utd situation is with keepers at the mo but his year ban is up at the end if the season. He has great expierinace and undoubted quality and I think most would agree speroni is a class act and would be getable(pretty sure I just made this word up but seems to work I think) if palarse go down.

Gerken was signed as a no.2 and I think that's about right. Gerken's only playing no.1 because we lost Basso and Weale. I know he's young and may improve but he's prone to too many errors and we need a commanding keeper which the defence have total confidence in if we're to press on. Speroni's a good shout or Kelvin Davis (if we could get him) amongst others.

Guest cityhead

I also was surpised that Henderson didn't retain his place, as the goals shipped the previous week were as a result of the usual defensive errors, with ribeiro at fault for atleast one so I am presuming that is why he was dropped yesterday.

With regard to gerken - I do not understand peoples dislike of him. The only time yesterday there was a problem was when Nyatanga twice tried to gift his previous club an own goal. Any pass or header back to your goalie should be to the side of the goal, not straight at the net when the goalie has moved to the side of the goal where he was expecting it. Also Why did Nyatanga pass back to gerken from inside the 6 yr box when the ball was already at his favourite left foot and he should have put it into the dolman.

These defensive mistakes were not down to communication or command of his area, they were as a result of a defender not doing the basic school boy defending, which is why I believe fontaine when fit is a better option.

No he aint. hes a No 2 keeper, no more. Henderson is way better.

Another Steve Phillips in my book, good shot stopper but creates panic in the box with his lack of communication. I would love to see Westwood from Coventry but that is unlikely, Joe Lewis from Peteborough would be good perhaps in a swap deal for a few players that gary Johnson wants off of us, or fraser Foster who is on loan from Newcastle at Norwich.

Henderson should have played yesterday and against Blackpool next week. Sends a very poor message to Henderson that he was dropped after S****horpe. What else this season, do the coaching staff and management need to learn about Gerken? Nothing!

Personally, I much prefer Henderson. Much more in command as far as I can see, offering confidence to whoever the defence may be.

Now as Basso left, allegedly because of issues with the ex Manager and apparently the Chairman didn't want him to go either, surely with Coppell in charge that opens the door for him to come back. Most unlikely I know, but definitely the best keeper we have had for as long as I can remember and one that would adequately support a push to the Premier League. Otherwise, Henderson would be my number 1 without bringing someone else in

Guest dafferhowe

Personally I think Deano has done very well for us this season. Perhaps better than anyone could of expected, given the strange circumstances (re Basso) he was pitched in to. Granted there have been some momments of indecision, but I am not sure if that says more about the unsettled back 4 (or 3 or 5) or Gerken himself. For me he should start next season as number 1 and we should see what happens from there.

Wasn't impressed when he played against us for Colchester, thought he could've done a bit better for our goals, though wasn't complaining at the time of course.

For me it seems that almost every shot that looks like it could go in, does go in, whereas with Basso I always felt it would take something special to beat him, don't feel that way with Deano.

If we could get someone at the level Basso was at that would suit me.

i'd love to see Basso back but it's unlikely i guess. Interestingly 2 reading keepers have been getting rave reviews on loan locally (mccarthy at yeovil and anderson at the gas). Coppell will know them both and may be interested. It also says something for the depth of talent at reading and their ability to produce quality players - hopefully we'll be similar in a couple of years.

I reckon Deano will have to convince Coppell that he has the all round game to be a top Championship 'keeper. No doubt about his agility and shop stopping ability buts that not enough if he wants to be number one under Coppell.

Imo Deano has too many flaws in his game. Indecision is one, not commanding his box is another and worse of all communication with his defenders. He's also prone to too many howlers.

It would be no surprise to see a new 'keeper join over the summer. Speroni would be my choice - if Colin doesn't doesn't sign him first.

Guest DElliottBCFC

No chance, personally,I think Basso was head and shoulders above Gerken. Hopefully SC will bring in a keeper goode nough for this level and the Premier league.

Gerken would look much better with a decent defence in front of him. Any goalkeeper would struggle with the likes of Nyatanga in front of him.

A team can get away with having an inexperienced and indecisive defence if it has an experienced and decisive keeper, and vice versa, but someone has to take charge. At the moment nobody does for City.

Gerken would look much better with a decent defence in front of him. Any goalkeeper would struggle with the likes of Nyatanga in front of him.

A team can get away with having an inexperienced and indecisive defence if it has an experienced and decisive keeper, and vice versa, but someone has to take charge. At the moment nobody does for City.

I'm sorry, but I firmly believe that Gerken makes our defence wobbly. Nyatanga has had a few bad games in the 2nd half of the season, but Gerken has made lots of mistakes when Nyatanga hasnt even been playing! Gerkens slowness to come for the ball when it goes over our defence causes us heaps of problems.

Dont get me wrong, superb shot stopper and would be a superb no 2 to call on - but we need a better keeper if we are to be serious promotion contenders

I'm sorry, but I firmly believe that Gerken makes our defence wobbly. Nyatanga has had a few bad games in the 2nd half of the season, but Gerken has made lots of mistakes when Nyatanga hasnt even been playing! Gerkens slowness to come for the ball when it goes over our defence causes us heaps of problems.

Dont get me wrong, superb shot stopper and would be a superb no 2 to call on - but we need a better keeper if we are to be serious promotion contenders

It's not just Nyatanga. Nobody takes charge in City's penalty area.

We simply don't have a first ball defender. Carey has never been one, McCombe lacks experience (and quality), Fontaine isn't one and Nyatanga doesn't seem to do anything terribly well.

I'm not saying Gerken is faultless, I'm saying that his faults would be less of an issue if we had a proper defence instead of a patched up league one back 4.

It's not just Nyatanga. Nobody takes charge in City's penalty area.

We simply don't have a first ball defender. Carey has never been one, McCombe lacks experience (and quality), Fontaine isn't one and Nyatanga doesn't seem to do anything terribly well.

I'm not saying Gerken is faultless, I'm saying that his faults would be less of an issue if we had a proper defence instead of a patched up league one back 4.

Our defenders arent that bad.

Fontaine - very good defender

Carey - Its thought he is past it - but I'm not sure - i think he has suffered most from gerkens indecision.

Orr - brilliant defender

Nyatanga - good defender who is still very young. admittedly makes mistakes, but is one for the future.

McAllister/McCombe - not good enough - will need replacing in the summer

Our defenders arent that bad.

Fontaine - very good defender

Carey - Its thought he is past it - but I'm not sure - i think he has suffered most from gerkens indecision.

Orr - brilliant defender

Nyatanga - good defender who is still very young. admittedly makes mistakes, but is one for the future.

McAllister/McCombe - not good enough - will need replacing in the summer

Maybe we'll have to agree to differ on this one but I think our defence is poor.

Even when it was statistically good I can remember a hell of a lot of last ditch, panicky defending with people throwing their bodies in the way to block shots. That sort of commitment is great, but it's not the sign of a quality defence.

Fontaine - yes, he's good but he needs an experienced player alongside him to talk him through the game. Not a first ball defender.

Carey - experienced, great defender, but not dominant enough to lead the defence. Not a first ball defender.

Orr - perfectly adequate at right back. Riberio provides good cover and competition.

Nyatanga - too similar to Fontaine but in my opinion not as good. We have other young defenders (Fontaine, Riberio, Wilson) so we don't need him. I would get rid and get someone experienced in.

McAllister - needs competition at least, ideally from someone better who will replace him in the majority of games.

McCombe - our only first ball defender. Not mobile enough, technically poor, not a leader.

What City need is a player to take over the roles of both Carey and McCombe. An experienced, dominant first ball defender who has the ability to play at the top end of the Championship. I think Nyatanga should be sold to finance signing this player.

Maybe we'll have to agree to differ on this one but I think our defence is poor.

Even when it was statistically good I can remember a hell of a lot of last ditch, panicky defending with people throwing their bodies in the way to block shots. That sort of commitment is great, but it's not the sign of a quality defence.

Fontaine - yes, he's good but he needs an experienced player alongside him to talk him through the game. Not a first ball defender.

Carey - experienced, great defender, but not dominant enough to lead the defence. Not a first ball defender.

Orr - perfectly adequate at right back. Riberio provides good cover and competition.

Nyatanga - too similar to Fontaine but in my opinion not as good. We have other young defenders (Fontaine, Riberio, Wilson) so we don't need him. I would get rid and get someone experienced in.

McAllister - needs competition at least, ideally from someone better who will replace him in the majority of games.

McCombe - our only first ball defender. Not mobile enough, technically poor, not a leader.

What City need is a player to take over the roles of both Carey and McCombe. An experienced, dominant first ball defender who has the ability to play at the top end of the Championship. I think Nyatanga should be sold to finance signing this player.

Dont think we on disagree much. A commanding centre back is obviously needed - to replace McCombe and to freshen things up. But IMO we need a keeper more urgently

Guest sdc1978

I thought both did more than ok today, a couple moments of indecision from Gerken but atoned well when called upon. Carey obviously is in decline, but his experience is still most invaluable at times

Gerken has had a decent season stood behind what has been at times a suicidal defence. We would have lost more than a handful more games by 4 or 6 goals if not because of Gerken. People say he looks uncomfortable and lost at times, but so would anyone else stood behind a defence that is simply prone to too many simple errors. Carey has simply not been able to marshal or control the back line and penalty area, maybe signs that we should move him into a coaching role and get a new Strong Centre back at the end of this season.

Gerken can only improve on what has already been a decent season, if we keep playing him competitively. Putting in the reserves will not improve his game. I cannot understand the comparisons with Basso - Basso made a number of embarrassing errors stood behind what was definitely a defence playing better than we have currently.

He's young, keep him, play him and he will continue to improve we will do will have a good keeper for the club.

Gerken has had a decent season stood behind what has been at times a suicidal defence. We would have lost more than a handful more games by 4 or 6 goals if not because of Gerken. People say he looks uncomfortable and lost at times, but so would anyone else stood behind a defence that is simply prone to too many simple errors. Carey has simply not been able to marshal or control the back line and penalty area, maybe signs that we should move him into a coaching role and get a new Strong Centre back at the end of this season.

Gerken can only improve on what has already been a decent season, if we keep playing him competitively. Putting in the reserves will not improve his game. I cannot understand the comparisons with Basso - Basso made a number of embarrassing errors stood behind what was definitely a defence playing better than we have currently.

He's young, keep him, play him and he will continue to improve we will do will have a good keeper for the club.

Basso was the previous keeper hence the comparison.

Deano is a great shot stopper and showed that a couple of times today but his regulation work is non-existant. Again today he left the defence in disarray because he stood motionless waiting for Louis to hack a ball away he should have come for. He then had the audacity to fire his gob off to Carey for what I don't know. He may be young but I'm not sure he will signifficantly improve in this area of his game or in either his command of the box and his communication with the back four. Even if he does we can't afford the time if we are serious about pushing for promotion.

I've not seen Henderson play so I won't comment wether he is the answer or not but if he isn't we need a good confident keeper who ticks all the boxes and in whom the defence can have confidence in.

Deano is a great shot stopper and showed that a couple of times today but his regulation work is non-existant. Again today he left the defence in disarray because he stood motionless waiting for Louis to hack a ball away he should have come for. He then had the audacity to fire his gob off to Carey for what I don't know. He may be young but I'm not sure he will signifficantly improve in this area of his game or in either his command of the box and his communication with the back four. Even if he does we can't afford the time if we are serious about pushing for promotion.

I've not seen Henderson play so I won't comment wether he is the answer or not but if he isn't we need a good confident keeper who ticks all the boxes and in whom the defence can have confidence in.

I believe your referring to an incident in the second half. From my point of view Carey was at fault. It was like the Nyatanga moment in the last game - suicidal defending. Carey made the mistake of giving his man the extra yard. This meant Carey was caught out of position and as we know doesn't have the legs to recover. This left him expecting Gerken to come for a ball that really I wouldn't expect a keeper too. In the first half Orr put a back pass to Gerken inside the penalty area (again much like Nyatanga last week, suicide defending) but fortunately both of them dealt with it. It makes me wonder what is going through their minds at times. Sure Gerken isn't faultless or even blameless for that matter but he gets far too much stick for the performances he puts in.

And as for promotion, since when do we have a god given right to start next season as promotion candidates? Coppell is going to need time to build the side he wants. As we all know Coppell is much better at managing youth than Johnson was.

Dean did OK today, as was *shock n horror* Nyatanga. Louis is worrying though, struggled throughout. Orr struggled with Sproules non appearance today, made a lot of wrong choices under pressure.

Need to replace Louis/Jamie McAllister fairly soon, and get good cover for Nytanga. Ribs will cover for Orr, and Henderson SHOULD be No 1.

it is obvious to me that we need a new keeper as a priority this summer along with a CB. if we only sign two players for me it has to be a top keeper and a first ball CB to play alongside fonts who i think is the future.

i hope we have been scouting for keepers as gerken is (as said by others) another flapper phillips, he makes marquee saves but his basics are shocking. today the chance he presented to blackpool by staying on his line when the ball ballooned into our area was shockingly bad judgement by a professional at any level let alone second tier.

many of late goals this season have come from pressure built up which has in a large way been down to gerken not commanding his area and coming off his line and either punching/catching or at least getting a foul against like basso used to - go down, milk some time and take the sting out of the oppo. the watford home game was a classic example of this. the ball was lobbed deep into our area constantly for quite some time before they scored and gerken was nowhere to be seen.

obviously he has had great games. i was at st james and he was outstanding, but its no good having that in your locker if you cant do the basics week in week out. he hasnt been helped by an ageing carey and nyantanga who has been pretty average. maybe naylor can sort him out but for now we need an upgrade for next season at least. kelvin davis at saints is someone who ive always rated, solid, experienced but also makes amazing stops - thats the sort of bloke we need between the sticks.

Archived