IGNORED

First Games

redsince1994

Guest Haster

I was just wonderin who everyones first game was? Start the ball rolling with mine, a reserves game against kettering town in the 1997/98 season. we drew 1-1 equalising in the 94th minute in front of the atyeo. still got the scarf i was bought after the game.

Mine was City v Luton finished 0-0 Andy Cole missed a pen! cant remember what year it was????

I was just wonderin who everyones first game was? Start the ball rolling with mine, a reserves game against kettering town in the 1997/98 season. we drew 1-1 equalising in the 94th minute in front of the atyeo. still got the scarf i was bought after the game.

City Youths V Barnsley Youths (FA Youth Cup 1958)

First "proper game V Oldham 1965

The first Bristol City game I watched was Saturday 12th Dec 1964 v S****horpe United (2-2 Draw). I think the game was played in thick mud, also I think their keeper had his leg strapped up, but couldn't go off because substitutes were not allowed then.

Happy days!

Guest ciderjake

i first starting going to reserve games which i think was on a saturday afternoon ,my mum would'nt let me go to the first team games (to much trouble she said ). So i didnt tell her i was going to the city v chelsea game in the fa cup .we won 3.1 i think with taylor and turner scoring the goals.she was right about the trouble.

1st September 1979 vs Wolves - I think Emlyn Hughes was playing for them at that point. I stood in the old "schoolboy enclosure" in front of the Dolman, which was years before the family seats went in and it was just a huge concourse and I think it cast about 30p to get in!

Guest jfkerton

96' with my dad vs Millwall at the gate. He asked Tinnion to sign a scarf and said it was for me. He then promptly stole it after tins left, i was only 5 at the time :D

Guest Red to the world

Against Soton in the cup - they had Davies ( welsh international ) we had Gibson ( goalie ) Chris Crowe - striker - Parr and Connor in defence.

We won 3 - 1 and I think it was about 1966 but the statos will correct me I am sure - great day !

City 3 York 1 about Oct 86 - was always a Spurs fan, because my Dad was - fell in love that day, and still love the old girl now.

She's let me down a few times, but I couldn't leave her now. Unlike the current Mrs Woodsy, but that's another story for another thread!

Guest citybabe

A match soon to be repeated

City 2 Portsmouth 0 April 1971

I remember a youngster called Clive Whitehead on the wing wearing the un heard of notion of WHITE boots!

Mine was November 1973 vs Blackpool - we lost 1-0:(

Guest Southcote Red

My Dad took me to see City V Doncaster in 1982 during the magnificent Bob Houghton era, at the tender age of ten years old. A 2-2 draw for the record.

City has been in my blood ever since.

67/68 home to Brum stood where the Dolman is now, when proper football was played in proper grounds;

unlike like some of the alledged best in Europe who dived and cheated and wasted their time way through 90mins last night :disapointed2se:.

Multimillionares they may of been but what a sad state of affairs football has now become :(

67/68 home to Brum stood where the Dolman is now, when proper football was played in proper grounds;

unlike like some of the alledged best in Europe who dived and cheated and wasted their time way through 90mins last night disapointed2se.gif.

Multimillionares they may of been but what a sad state of affairs football has now become sad.gif

Amen to that old boy - shocking game. If that's the best Europe has to offer, I'm glad to be in the CCC!

unlike like some of the alledged best in Europe who dived and cheated and wasted their time way through 90mins last night disapointed2se.gif.

Multimillionares they may of been but what a sad state of affairs football has now become sad.gif

3-1, if memory serves.

13th January 1979 at the grand old age of 5 years old standing at the front of the East End on a milk crate to see over the wall at the front holding onto the fences behind the goal, 0-0 against Tottenham and that was me hooked.

Being an impressionable 5 year old I've since also followed Tottenham ever since as my second team.

That said, cant wait for the day when we beat them at the Gate in the Premier League! (hoping that day will come before we re-locate to new stad or they get relegated!)

Guest FreeReds

City vs WBA, April 1980 0-0, standing by the wall and terrace of the old Dolman stand, boiling hot day I remember Gerry Gow a lot in that game! must have been MOM

My dad took me to AG sometime in the mid 80's. Can't remember what game, I recall Steve Neville was playing though.

I did support City for the 86 Freight Rover Trophy final, though I wasn't at Wembley on the day. The first game I remember thoroughly was when I took myself to see City v Brighton in the league in 1987. It must have been one of Joe Jordan's first games in a City shirt (if not THE first) as I was excited by his signing and he was therefore the main reason that I went.

Anyway, we won 5-2 in a great game, Jordan scored and I was hooked. The rest is history as they say. :englandsmile4wf:

3-1, if memory serves.

:dunno: pass, cant remember even if C. Garland/Trev Francis played; memory banks have had that info long since deleted, its the old age thing :blush:

i first starting going to reserve games which i think was on a saturday afternoon ,my mum would'nt let me go to the first team games (to much trouble she said ). So i didnt tell her i was going to the city v chelsea game in the fa cup .we won 3.1 i think with taylor and turner scoring the goals.she was right about the trouble.

Turner (2) and Gavin. In that season it's hard to believe Taylor didn't get on the scoresheet I know. And yes, on that particular occasion your mum was probably right. :yes:

My dad took me to AG sometime in the mid 80's. Can't remember what game, I recall Steve Neville was playing though.

I did support City for the 86 Freight Rover Trophy final, though I wasn't at Wembley on the day. The first game I remember thoroughly was when I took myself to see City v Brighton in the league in 1987. It must have been one of Joe Jordan's first games in a City shirt (if not THE first) as I was excited by his signing and he was therefore the main reason that I went.

Anyway, we won 5-2 in a great game, Jordan scored and I was hooked. The rest is history as they say. englandsmile4wf.gif

Remember the Brighton game mate, that was the first season I started going too. Pretty certain some lovely young lady got her Bristol's out on the wall in front of the Williams, was it called the 'Members' in those days??

1984, West Ham at home in the league cup, I was about 8 years old stood in the enclosure with my dad, it was the first time that my mum had let him take me, we were both very excited about it, within 5 minutes of the game starting I was stood on the edge of the pitch as the West Ham fans who had got into the main stand starting throwing seats at us... I was totally hooked, I think we lost

When we got home we told my mum that everything had gone really well and there wasn't any trouble...

Remember the Brighton game mate, that was the first season I started going too. Pretty certain some lovely young lady got her Bristol's out on the wall in front of the Williams, was it called the 'Members' in those days??

It probably was after that! :rofl2br:

Guest Whooooossshhhh

BCFC v Burnley

Football League Division Two, about December 1971.

City lost 0-2 that day, but as a 14 yr old who'd moved down from the North when my old man got some sort of promotion in his job, I was hooked. 39 seasons later I'm still like a kid when I walk into the Gate.

Gloucs Cup Final (always used to be vs Rovers in those days). We won 1-0,Jimmy Mann scored I think... 1979 or 1980, I was 7 at the time. Barely missed a home game since. There's been more bad than good along the way and I'm glad to say that the club is in its best shape now in terms of how its run, its stability and league position than at any time in those 30 years.

Guest St. Aldhelms Red

1984, West Ham at home in the league cup, I was about 8 years old stood in the enclosure with my dad, it was the first time that my mum had let him take me, we were both very excited about it, within 5 minutes of the game starting I was stood on the edge of the pitch as the West Ham fans who had got into the main stand starting throwing seats at us... I was totally hooked, I think we lost

When we got home we told my mum that everything had gone really well and there wasn't any trouble...

Remember that game well, was also in the enclosure and was on crutches due to a broken leg. When the seats and coins reined down i tried to leg it out the way, but then got thrown onto the pitch by a concerned City fan!

Guest lou-peters-dive

1964-65 My Dad took me to watch Rovers play Walsall. Ended 0-0. (Boring)

City got promoted. I decided to go to AG and never looked back. Chris Crowe

John Atyeo, Lou Peters diving into the box for a penalty. What else could you ask for.

Then Alan Dicks taking over and 1-0 against Portsmouth getting us promoted to the top flight.

Coppell can take us there again. You wait and see. History is repeating itself.

Guest eastendloyal

mine was watford 1998 i think we drew 1-1, cant believe how easily people remember games from so long agounsure.gifblushing.gif embarising mine was onli 12 years ago

i took 6 friends a couple of seasons ago to gillingham home and we won 6-0 all 7 of us still go every weekcity.gif

Division 2 - January 24th '98 (home)

City 0-0 Northampton Town

A very interesting match for a 5 year old lad!

Division 2 - May 2nd '98 (away)

Preston North End 2-1 City

Great atmosphere! We were already promoted but I think we needed a win to clinch the title which incidently Watford pipped us to. I can't remember who scored but I do remember it was his last game and he did an attempted cartwheel after scoring and it put us 1-0 up!

Just found out it was Sean McCarthy on loan to us from Plymouth at the time 7 games 1 goal!

Guest MC Risk

city v bolton 86 at wembley......amazing day was only 9 at the time, and my dad had just the week before brought a brand new cavalier sri

Guest cityhead

Ateyo's testimonial back in 67 against Leeds if my brain cells are still functioning.city.gif

Also Atyeo's testimonial, dad promised to take me to the league games next season if I behaved myself in the east End! only 7 at the time.

Thought it was summer of '65 though, but could be mistaken.

Weird one, mine.

I was taken to a home game back in the mid-80's by a friend's dad and we sat high up in the Dolman. I remember being amazed at how green the pitch was.

Anyway, I always thought it had been against Southend, and that we lost 2-0 or 2-1. I was only about 8 or 9 at the time, so don't have a great memory of it. So a while ago, I went back through City's records to find it, but couldn't find any such result.

The season though, would either have been 84/85, 85/86 or 86/87 (when I was at junior's school). And i'm sure we lost. And Rob Newman played. He was the only one I can remember playing...

No it was called the enclousure. But in the mid 80s some clubs copy Luton and started bringing in members only stands this want happens to the enclousure. A lot of peope on here talk about the old EastEnd but I also went into the enclosure best atmosphere in the ground better then the eastend in the early to mid 80s,Alan Dicks used to call it the chicken run but all that stop dead when they turn it into a membership area. After that most of that crowd went into dolman a and b block

My first game was City v Liverpool in late '78, but i don't even remember being there let alone details of the game ( i was only 4). I rely on my old man's account of the game which mainly focussed on the Liverpool fans running amok outside the ground running over cars and robbing the programme sellers rather than the game itself, which we won 1-0. The first game i actually remember was City v Rovers in 1984 which we won 3-0, even though i went to almost every home game that season it is my first memory. Happy days! My first away memory, outside of the Wembley finals in the 80's was Rovers away in '85 when our old 'chum' Holloway scored in a 1-0 win for them on an exceptionally windy day.

Weird one, mine.

I was taken to a home game back in the mid-80's by a friend's dad and we sat high up in the Dolman. I remember being amazed at how green the pitch was.

Anyway, I always thought it had been against Southend, and that we lost 2-0 or 2-1. I was only about 8 or 9 at the time, so don't have a great memory of it. So a while ago, I went back through City's records to find it, but couldn't find any such result.

The season though, would either have been 84/85, 85/86 or 86/87 (when I was at junior's school). And i'm sure we lost. And Rob Newman played. He was the only one I can remember playing...

I can't find that result either. But 1988~1989 season, I think we lost 2-0.

Weird one, mine.

I'm sure we played Southend on Grand National day in 1989 and lost 2-0 at home, so might have been that game even though it wasn't mid-eighties?

I can't find that result either. But 1988~1989 season, I think we lost 2-0.

Cheers for looking! Definitely too late by then - by then I was at secondary school, and I was at junior school when I went.

I may well have got the result wrong. And perhaps the opposition. And maybe players. Perhaps it wasn't even City?!

It does make me wonder about the rest of my childhood, and whether any of it is how I imagined it. How much is real? Was it really all as good or bad as I remember it to be? And did I really like to go around wearing make-up and girls' clothes when I was a child...!?

Err. Forget that last one.

home to Man Utd, 13th October 1979. I was 10. Went with a bunch of kids from school, stood in schoolboy enclosure. Drew 1-1. Can still remember it clearly, every time I go in the Dolman the memories flood back. I think I paid 50p!!!!

PS: if you want to find match details, try statto.com

Anyway, I always thought it had been against Southend, and that we lost 2-0 or 2-1. I was only about 8 or 9 at the time, so don't have a great memory of it. The season though, would either have been 84/85, 85/86 or 86/87

City played Sarfend in 81-82 (Div 3) and not again until 87-88 and 88-89 (both Div 3). Was your first match a Cup game?

Archived