IGNORED

First Games

redsince1994

City played Sarfend in 81-82 (Div 3) and not again until 87-88 and 88-89 (both Div 3). Was your first match a Cup game?

It may have been a cup game, but I can't find any records of that, either.

It was definitely after 83, as I didn't meet my friend until then.

And it was definitely an evening game - I remember that. I remember leaving the ground really, really late and going to stop in the chippie on Ashton Rd, but not getting in cos it was too busy.

Guest Bristol North Red

First home game was against walsall we won 4-1 in 1996 or it could of been end of 1995. My first away game was against Oxford at there old manor ground we lost 3 nil

No it was called the enclousure. But in the mid 80s some clubs copy Luton and started bringing in members only stands this want happens to the enclousure. A lot of peope on here talk about the old EastEnd but I also went into the enclosure best atmosphere in the ground better then the eastend in the early to mid 80s,Alan Dicks used to call it the chicken run but all that stop dead when they turn it into a membership area. After that most of that crowd went into dolman a and b block

Loved the atmosphere in the enclosure, always stood to the left of the players entrance as you looked onto the pitch, just by the wall below the grand stand.

Getting into the playoffs at the last minute, and the cup semi against forest, was the enclosure at it's best.

City v. QPR old 1st division in 1978.

I remember Stan Bowles and Rodney Marsh were outstanding as as was Gerry Gow.

Finished 2-2 and City have had my 100% support since, no favourite other club for me.

Yer memory is dodgy......Rodney Marsh left QPR in '72 and was playing for Tampa Bay Rowdies in '78. icecream.gif

I was first taken to a game by my Dad in the fifties when my age was still in single figures, but was too young to remember the occasion well. I have no idea of the date, or even the year. I went a few more times in that decade, but have always reckoned my history as a regular, committed supporter to have started on 5th September, 1961: City v Newport (lost 2-1), when I was just turned 14 years old. Went to every home game after that with my mates and became City mad. (Must remember to mark 05/09/11 in next year's diary in order to celebrate fifty years of certifiable insanity).

The line-up in those days went (I think) something like: Cook; Briggs; Thresher; Etheridge; Connor; Casey; Rogers; Atyeo; Tait; Williams; Derrick. (Will probably have got at least one of those wrong, but I'm sure somebody will put me straight. Might have been a bit early for Jantzen, who would have been very young then.)

i wish i could remember my 1st game at the gate.

it was in the late 70s or very early 80's

some of my earliest memories was the 2 wembley finals,when we beat bolton 3-0 then the year after(i think) we lost to mansfield 6-5 on pens?

what stands out most was my dad getting a clip round the ear from my mum because he was ogling a lady that happend to flash her b**bs just behind us at the mansfield game. :D

City v Orient uncle let me have his Dolman seat 1-3 down half time won 5-3 with Galley scoring a screamer been hooked ever since .Not a clue what year but was a long time ago

October 1971 - I was there too, the Galley goal was almost a replica of the one that Alan Mullery scored for Fulham, winning Match of the Day goal of the season, a few years later.

First game was a 0-0 at home to Middlesboro, September 1967. As a 5 year old then don't remember much.

Loved the atmosphere in the enclosure, always stood to the left of the players entrance as you looked onto the pitch, just by the wall below the grand stand.

Getting into the playoffs at the last minute, and the cup semi against forest, was the enclosure at it's best.

You must have been stood next to me then.

Founder member of the enclosure mob circa 74.

It was popular in those days for "big" clubs to have at least TWO mobs.

We had the East End and an embryonic Park End, so we thought lets have a mob down the side, and it just grew and grew. The halcyon days though were undoubtedly in the old First Div.

Away fans would come in there thinking it would be safe to make their noise without let or hinderance....they were surprised and wrong!

In the Autumn of 1977 my wife and myself bought our first house in Ambrose Rd - above Hotwells Rd. One Saturday afternoon in September we were both in the tiny garden when we heard a huge roar and I thought it was a plane going over or something then realised it was coming from Ashton Gate which I was vaguely aware was nearby. I now know we had just scored against West Ham.

So, out of curiousity I went to the next home game v Leeds (October 8th, must admit I have just looked that up on Statto!). Stood in the Enclosure - as we have already established on this thread this was a standing only area at the foot of the Williams (pitchside). This was Don Revie's all conquering side Leeds team although they were getting past their prime by then. Norman (bite your leg) Hunter was definitely playing that day (came to us later) and I think, but am not sure, that Joe Jordan was up front for them that day.

Anyway we won 3-2 and I was hooked. Been coming ever since.

Guest lou-peters-dive

About 1968 - Gloucestershire Cup Final at Eastville - Rovers 0 City 5

Blimey mate I was beginning to think I was the only one there. Either that or I dreamed it.

I.ve mentioned that a few times on here and not got a reply.

Can you remember who scored ? If you can I,ll tell you if I agree.

Blimey mate I was beginning to think I was the only one there. Either that or I dreamed it.

Something like Skirton Sharpe Galley Garland & Kellard?

Mind they flower beds, oh there goes the crossbar!

In the Autumn of 1977 my wife and myself bought our first house in Ambrose Rd - above Hotwells Rd. One Saturday afternoon in September we were both in the tiny garden when we heard a huge roar and I thought it was a plane going over or something then realised it was coming from Ashton Gate which I was vaguely aware was nearby. I now know we had just scored against West Ham.

So, out of curiousity I went to the next home game v Leeds (October 8th, must admit I have just looked that up on Statto!). Stood in the Enclosure - as we have already established on this thread this was a standing only area at the foot of the Williams (pitchside). This was Don Revie's all conquering side Leeds team although they were getting past their prime by then. Norman (bite your leg) Hunter was definitely playing that day (came to us later) and I think, but am not sure, that Joe Jordan was up front for them that day.

Anyway we won 3-2 and I was hooked. Been coming ever since.

Sorry, Norm played for us that game.

Guest widey

city 0-0 millwall in 1996

it was dire so unfortunately i didnt see another game till 2002 but have been a season ticket holder sincebounce.gif

Guest lou-peters-dive

Something like Skirton Sharpe Galley Garland & Kellard?

Mind they flower beds, oh there goes the crossbar!

Ok smarty pants. (Mind you I did forget the flower beds.) Good one.

Vs Cardiff 1992

We lost the first leg of the coca cola cup tie 1-0 in cardiff. I remember being dropped at the game and driving past Ashton park where a huge group of city fans running... looked mad. Then we played well and were winning 4-1. Left early but when i got home, found out wed scored in the last minute and i think wayne allison (maybe andy cole) completed his hat trick in front of the east end and celebrated right in front of the seat i had left. Never left a game early again- happy days!!!

I was there too - and it was my first City "away" game. innocent06.gif

1970 - Blackburn at home - I think...with my Dad and my great uncle and cousin...my uncle's long since passed away but me and my brother and my 3 kids...we owe it all to him. Always think of him on those occasions when we're asked to think of the people who first brought us to the club.

First game I can really remember well was Leeds at home in the cup in '74 - 37 000 at the Gate and Keith Fear chipping David Harvey to equalise. Listened to the replay in Leeds on the radio in our neighbours house on a weekday afternoon. And then Liverpool in the next round...got taken out of the Eastend because it was too packed at the front for young 'uns and crossed the pitch to the schoolboy enclosure in front of the Dolman...gutted when they got the winner.

Started going regularly in the 79/80 relegation season...just in time for the worst run in our (or anyones) history...

...but Chester away in '84 was worth the agony...possibly! Martin Hirst's winner at the Gas that season (one nil down, two one up, we knocked Rovers out the cup) was certainly worth no sleep on an an overnight trip from Ireland...

.....the only way is up...city.gif

Guest St. Aldhelms Red

Apparently my first game was against Everton in a F A Cup game, think we lost 5 0 with Ball. Harvey and Kendall playing, but being 5 cant remember **** all! After that i went to Rovers with my uncle a few times and remember crying when Rovers scored. There was no turning back after that! Still think there ***** now!

I was just wonderin who everyones first game was? Start the ball rolling with mine, a reserves game against kettering town in the 1997/98 season. we drew 1-1 equalising in the 94th minute in front of the atyeo. still got the scarf i was bought after the game.

I've only been on here for the last few months and I am sure there have been many similar threads in the past, but I would personally like to thank redsince1994 for one of the most interesting threads that I have read. :clapping:

Home to Notts County in 95-96 i think, we won 4-0 if i remember rightly, i loved it. First away game apart from Rovers was fulham away in our 97/98 promotion season. We had just won 9 on the bounce and we lost 1-0 or 2-0, i remember walking into the ground thinking there was a minute silence but their wasnt, it was just the ground was so quiet!

Guest hutch

January 27th 1973

City v Orient

I can't remember the score, I just remember that it was freezin'

The line-up in those days went (I think) something like: Cook; Briggs; Thresher; Etheridge; Connor; Casey; Rogers; Atyeo; Tait; Williams; Derrick. (Will probably have got at least one of those wrong, but I'm sure somebody will put me straight. Might have been a bit early for Jantzen, who would have been very young then.)

Possibly Noake instead of JD

Apparently my first game was against Everton in a F A Cup game, think we lost 5 0 with Ball. Harvey and Kendall playing, but being 5 cant remember **** all!

67-68 season League Cup 2nd round; City 0 Everton 5. That result led to Fred Ford being replaced by Alan Dicks.

I have racked my Guiness soaked brain over this thread!

I can clearly remember a game against Cardiff in the late 60's. I remember asking dad what was Aberfan that the City fans were singing (Not Nice)

And I alo remember being left in a parked car with my brother (times were different then) in the mid 60's against Middlesborough, I think John Ateyo was stil playing!!

So I reckon my first game was about 1967 but litterally hundreds since then so I shouldn't feel so bad I suppose

I was just wonderin who everyones first game was? Start the ball rolling with mine, a reserves game against kettering town in the 1997/98 season. we drew 1-1 equalising in the 94th minute in front of the atyeo. still got the scarf i was bought after the game.

wolves at home 1965 i believe 1-1 draw.

Remember Mike Bailey playing for Wolves that day.

Sadly, never went to see them in the top flight. Supported them but never bothered asking to go.

First game was division 2 - as part of the great slide ("whats red and white and slides down tables?......" - my Rovers class mates would ask).

So of course my first game was City v Rovers. Got my old man to take me... walked to the ground from Hotwells, via the old railway bridge over the cut and under the Cumberland basin. As we walked the old railway tracks, a load of Gas appeared above, and showered us with bricks. Dont really remember the match, just my old man screaming "we are going to die".

Addicted ever since.

Oh, and somewhat dislike Rovers fans. Is that wrong?

Cyril.

November 7th 1998

Bristol City 1 v Wolves 6, I was just 9. To think, Benny's first home game in charge, mascots fight, the fact that we scored FIRST in that one and then there was the promise of sunlit uplands of European football with a European coach and 40,000 seater stadium at Hengrove Park on that glossy leaflet!

Guest DarTheRed

I can't really my first game i think Bob Houghton was Manager at the time dunno.gif 2 games i fairly remember were a 0-0 draw against Huddersfield (Me my Dad and Brother and hundreds of others helped clear snow from the pitch the night before and got free Match Tickets and Fish N' Chips laugh.gif )

Also remember a game on New Years day i think it was either Port Vale or Wimbledon and i think we lost 3-1 and the crowd was sparse, don't know why but we were in with the away fans crying.gif and when they scored they done the Conga blowing horns ohmy.gif

Wasn't really into Football at that point started taking an interest when we beat Aldershot 2-0 in FRT back in 1987 to reach the Final, was hooked ever since, and remember hating Swindon after they denied us a place in the Play-Offs the same year banghead.gif

Alan Skirton, Chris Garland, John Galley, Bobby Kellard and Jantzen Derrick; in the days when players wore shirt nos 1-11 and the players that scored were numbered 7-11. Also, if I remember correctly they were all scored in the second half - mind you I was only about nine at the time!

Yer memory is dodgy......Rodney Marsh left QPR in '72 and was playing for Tampa Bay Rowdies in '78. icecream.gif

Yes your'e right, after I posted that I thought I might of got Rodney Marsh wrong, the memory is going it was just Stan Bowles, who got a lot of stick from the East End. It was 1977 not '78, but there, 33 years is a long time ago.

Archived