IGNORED

Maynard To Burnley

Guest forever_red

Hmmm if true good to see we turned down straight away the quoted £3.75m bid. Anything less than £5m with a tasty sell on clause won't do IMO.

Well yes, but if official bids are coming in this early we have little chance of keeping him. By August someone will stumpt up £5M or £6M which we'll be unable to refuse, especially as it will come from the Premier League and Maynard will probablt jump at the chance.

Hope I'm wrong and Nicky just can't wait to work under the new gaffer at least for a season :-)

If true, they are having a laugh for several reasons:

* £3.75m is miles below his value to us or any other club. By the time we paid Crewe a sell-on fee, we would make zero profit on our most valuable player.

* No player in their right mind would swap playing for Steve Coppell for a season with loser Brian Laws.

* Nobody in their right mind would swap living in the West Country for life in Burnley.

* Nicky knows he will get offers from Prem clubs sooner or later so would be mad to take a gamble on a sideways move to another Championship club.

Go away Mr Laws - you have considerably less chance of getting promoted this season than we do.

Guest forever_red

* £3.75m is miles below his value to us or any other club. By the time we paid Crewe a sell-on fee, we would make zero profit on our most valuable player.

* No player in their right mind would swap playing for Steve Coppell for a season with loser Brian Laws.

* Nobody in their right mind would swap living in the West Country for life in Burnley.

* Nicky knows he will get offers from Prem clubs sooner or later so would be mad to take a gamble on a sideways move to another Championship club.

Go away Mr Laws - you have considerably less chance of getting promoted this season than we do.

chant6ez.gif Nicely Said.

Im very confident Maynard will not leave us for Burnley.

Guest forever_red

Coppell only said the other day:

"Everyone keeps telling me there's so much interest for Nicky Maynard but thankfully I have not received a phone call. Long may that continue."

Didnt last long...

Guest westy

a player would and should consider that if he gets a double your money contract for 4 years then he is / will be ensuring the financial security of his family - if he has (god forbid) a career threathening injury then he only has a 2 year contract on half the amount that he could have, so although I think that burnley is not a great option it is highly possible - Iwelumo obviously thinks they are a better option!!!!

Even if they met our price (which they wont) it would be a sideways move football wise. Why would anyone want to work with that twonk Brian Laws, not to mention he would have to live in Burnley shutup.gif

Totally what I just thought.

Burnley? Laws? Hillarious!!!!

Maynard would be an idiot if he left us for Burnley even if we did accept a bid, i feel that we are now a much bigger and more ambitious team then Burnley

Really? The same Burnley who were in the Premier League last season, we're now bigger than them? As for more ambitious, they have (apparently) bid for the joint top scorer in the league last season, I'd say that's pretty ambitious.

Brian Laws aside, Burnley will be there or thereabouts next season. Well run, didn't overspend to stay up - they'll be fine.

On saying that, I don't see Maynard going there. He'll have more 'attractive' clubs looking at him. Hate to say it, but I think he'll go this summer. Hope Coppell can spot a striker......

Okay so we recieve a bid of 3.75 mill for maynard from burnley.

Surely that was a little tempting for an opening offer. if they imporve on that i could see him going tbh

just think of how many players we could get from one sale.

Anything over 4.5 mill would be a nice deal,

But can we afford to get rid of our top goal machine ?

I think Maynard will be the real indicator of just how determined we are to get to the Premier League. If a club like Burnley can prise him away from us then it shows we just don't have enough appeal or enough to offer. I think the price will also be a good indicator. If we sell for less than 5-6 mill then chances are the club values money over success as I can't see us finding a goal machine with so much potential like Nicky within the summer or maybe even a year or two which means chances are we'll be sitting in the Championship for a long time to come.

For me anything less than £6m would be dissapointing. Using Chopra as a benchmark, the fact their is a sell on and taking into account what we have paid Nicky in wages(8k a week over two years at a guess?) I would be unhappy with anything less and even more so if he went to Burnley.

I sadly think he will be leaving us. Perhaps not to Burnley, and certainly not for 3.75m, but still, i think he'll end up going.

Not If I know SL. he said we can afford to reject any bid, he even reiterated it. I think if Burnley did bid £3.75m its an insult to Maynard and ourselves.

As we all know Money talks........

NM is not a Bristol boy or been with us since a toddler or even has Father / Mother / Gran / Grandad / Sister etc (delete as appropiate) who support BCFC and therefore a bit of a heart tug to stay

He cant even say he has had two exciting seasons since he's been here - they have been pretty much dull & boring mid table obscurity stuff

Only thing to keep him at BS3 is wages & promises of better things and as soon as they are bettered then IMO he will be off .................just hope we get right deal for BCFC as far as I am concerned

Don't wanna see him go but we all know how these things work

Nicky Maynard is a sensible lad and he will know that moving to the likes of Burnley would not be good for his career.

He will know however, that sooner or later a Premier League club will come in for him and then he has a decision to make.

I just hope this gets sorted quickly as the longer it goes on the less time we will have to get a replacement as the rest of our strikeforce are useless.

We don't want this dragging on into August, might be a good time to put a minimum price (6m) on his head.

You only have to look at the strikers England are taking to the World Cup to see how much potential NM has and his price has to reflect that.

BCAGFC

We paid 2.25 million, there is a sell-on clause and we have stated that we can afford to turn down any offer. So, why are Burnley or any other club wasting our time and theirs with stupid offers like this? I know things are cheaper in the north, but that's taking the p1ss. :bruce_h4h:

I'm quietly confident he wont leave us for another Championship side

Everton taking their gamble on Beckford worries me, although he was a freebie, I thought Maynard wasn't proven enough for a prem club to take him on and Beckford's been at the level below for the past 2 years.

Beckford in mind the teams im wary of:

Birmingham, Blackburn, Bolton, Newcastle, Stoke, West Ham

I'd expect intrest from:<

Blackpool, Wigan and Wolves

I'm certain we won't be allowing Nicky Maynard to leave for another Championship side irrespective of the price offered, and I suspect that article is bollocks.

Correct on both counts imo. Talk of Burnley selling Fletcher to Wolves will fuel all sorts of rumours and lies about who they are buying to replace him.

I'm pretty sure it was SC and not SL who made the comment about not having to sell any player.

It was SL who specifically said, and repeated, that we could turn down an offer of any size (thanks to him, though he didn't say that of course). Those who seem convinced we will sell for something close to the alleged Burnley bid should bear that in mind.

Guest ciderjake

why dont city give him a new and improved contract with a promise to let him go if we dont go up next season . Or is he on the top wages already. ?

I wrote alot about Maynard's potential value in another thread, suffice to say, in my opinion, Burnley or anyone else would have to at least double that offer.

I'm talking 8m. minimum for Nicky Maynard, and I'm not joking.

As for Burnley being a hole, that's as maybe, but it's in striking distance of the Yorkshire Dales and some of the most beautiful unspoilt landscapes in Britain.

He could get a fantastic property in the countryside around Burnley, and he'd be no more likely to live in Burnley itself than City players would choose to live in run down areas of central Bristol.

Quotes? From anyone, anywhere? No? Not even agents?

Then it is more than likely complete B.S.

I'd agree if this was paper talk, but tbf to SKY they do get most stuff right, and hardly have a history of printing shit!

If true it's good to see we've rejected, I'd want at least 5 for the lad, and I'd like to think that he'd only leave us for the Prem, although you never know, especially in this day and age where money talks.

I'd agree if this was paper talk, but tbf to SKY they do get most stuff right, and hardly have a history of printing shit!

If true it's good to see we've rejected, I'd want at least 5 for the lad, and I'd like to think that he'd only leave us for the Prem, although you never know, especially in this day and age where money talks.

We shouldnt have rejected the bid we shouldn't have even replied to it, £3.75 million is laughauble.

Guest forever_red

Yes, but are you confident he will not leave us for another club, a bigger one!!

PLEASE STAY NICKY!! fingerscrossed.gifsad.gif

Haha well...

Crewe have a sell on fee. Possibly 20%? Say if we accepted £4mil they would be entitled to £800,000 meaning our profit would only be £1million.

Is it really worth it? A new striker to replace him would be 1-2 million. I personally think Maynard will be here next season unless a stupid offer of 5-6Million came in.

Guest Plimsolface

It's not a question of money when it comes to Burnley, why would Maynard move to a club with no ambition (Brian Laws anyone?) and currently at the same level as us? I think it would be impossible for maynard to move to a club in the championship.

Burnley? You're having a laugh.

I agree with the sentiments above, where is our ambition to even think about selling NM, especially to a club in the same division

and especially a club like Burnley - he ain't for sale!!

Haha well...

Crewe have a sell on fee. Possibly 20%? Say if we accepted £4mil they would be entitled to £800,000 meaning our profit would only be £1million.

Is it really worth it? A new striker to replace him would be 1-2 million. I personally think Maynard will be here next season unless a stupid offer of 5-6Million came in.

It's a percentage of the profit on the sale not on the transfer figure so the 20% would be calculated on £1.75M so £350K

It's not a question of money when it comes to Burnley, why would Maynard move to a club with no ambition (Brian Laws anyone?) and currently at the same level as us? I think it would be impossible for maynard to move to a club in the championship.

No ambition in your opinion. Parachue payments will enable them to pay more in wages and bonuses as well as a higher transfer kitty. Couple this with the fact Burnley is half the distance from Crewe than Bristol is and it may not be such an unattractive proposition for you Nicky.

Worryingly Fletcher seems to be off from Burnley to Wolves - The fee, £7m. Lots of money to spend, hopefully they'll go elsewhere..

Well yes, but if official bids are coming in this early we have little chance of keeping him. By August someone will stumpt up £5M or £6M which we'll be unable to refuse, especially as it will come from the Premier League and Maynard will probablt jump at the chance.

Hope I'm wrong and Nicky just can't wait to work under the new gaffer at least for a season :-)

you heard lansdown ,we dont need the money, why would we not refuse it.?

Guest forever_red

It's a percentage of the profit on the sale not on the transfer figure so the 20% would be calculated on £1.75M so £350K

Oh i see..

Houpefully wont matter and maynard will be a city player next year fingerscrossed.gif

How longs left on Nickys contract? Couple of seasons?

you heard lansdown ,we dont need the money, why would we not refuse it.?

NM maybe would like more £`s although hes said he likes it here; money talks very loud.

I think we need the money anyway, everyone needs money, thats why the shirts are £40 instead of £20 and SL is asking for more fans to commit to ST`s etc.

We do not have a chairman with never ending deep pockets but we also shouldnt give NM away.

I'm sure Maynard would stop to think if he had an offer from a much bigger team with history. I'm thinking Leeds or Notts Forest.

The main question would be are either of those likely to get to the Premiershit before us. I think the answer is possibly yes. unsure.gif

We have to be looking at £10m I think he's worth that.

Think how many English strikers there are, of Maynard's age who have scored that many goals in the top two English leagues and a lot of them being unsavable?

The only person who springs immediately to mind is Rooney. £10m don't seem that much now does it?

How much did Bent go for? £15m?

£10m is the magic number, but I would prefer to keep him becuase £10m in our pocket is pointless if its Prem league we want. You can't buy those kind of goals, and if another teams wants them then pay up!

We have to be looking at £10m I think he's worth that.

Think how many English strikers there are, of Maynard's age who have scored that many goals in the top two English leagues and a lot of them being unsavable?

The only person who springs immediately to mind is Rooney. £10m don't seem that much now does it?

How much did Bent go for? £15m?

£10m is the magic number, but I would prefer to keep him becuase £10m in our pocket is pointless if its Prem league we want. You can't buy those kind of goals, and if another teams wants them then pay up!

£10m are you serious? Really? £10m? Just over half of that from a Premier League club and he's a gonner!

Seriously? £10m?

Drinking on a week night is bad for you!!

I'm sure Maynard would stop to think if he had an offer from a much bigger team with history. I'm thinking Leeds or Notts Forest.

The main question would be are either of those likely to get to the Premiershit before us. I think the answer is possibly yes. unsure.gif

Leeds or Nottm Forest aren't going to come up with the £5 million minimum required to get Lansdown to even pick up the phone.

£10m are you serious? Really? £10m? Just over half of that from a Premier League club and he's a gonner!

Seriously? £10m?

I've worked it out though! :preacher:

Consider our ambition. A 20 goal a seasons striker is a must, we have that in Maynard, no reason why he cant go on and improve even further as hes just 23. The value of the Prem is massive to us, its what we may just achieve this season, but in order for that to happen we have to keep Maynard, he would be just impossible to replace, and I mean that impossible.

I pretty sure that SL would quite happily turn down £10m if Maynard insisted he wanted to stay. he's said this more than once, we don't need to sell him. We wont keep him against his will, but SL can turn down any offer, that means any offer, even £10m.

Some of those goals he scored were special. Premier League, La Liga, Series A, It would not matter, I think he can do it at the highest possible level.

I don't see many English strikers of his age scoring those type of goals in a league where the defenders are just as hard as Premier League ones being worth less than £10m.

Thats my professional opinion and value. I think a lot of fans agree. :bruce_h4h:

Seriously? £10m?

I had Maynard down for being worth 8m. now earlier in the thread.

That should rise to 10m. at the end of the season if he can further prove himself by topping 20 goals in the Championship again next year.

He's already the best young English striker at Championship level - better too, in my opinion, than David Nugent who cost 6-7m and went on to play for England.

Let's say that this is Heskey and Crouch's last World Cup and Bent can't prove himself to be international standard.

Then Defoe gets injured. How many young English strikers do you see being above Maynard in the England pecking order to step up if he continues to score the eye-catching goals of last season?

Not many - Nicky Maynard will very likely play for England in the next couple of years if he continues to improve.

He may not be a regular player but he will get capped, and then it simply depends if he can take his chance.

Maynard is one of England's most promising and prolific young strikers and that is how City must value him now.

He may not be ready for the Premier League next season but if someone wants to take a chance on that then the fee must reflect not only his value to BCFC but his unlimited potential.

Stone cold sober valuation of 8m. PLUS add -ons, or no deal.yes.gif

Has this story actually been broadcast on Sky Sports News or is it a web-only affair?

They seem to leave the more speculative stuff just to the website. Generally I would agree Sky is a reasonable source, but their website also ran the Jan Vennegor of Hesselink link with us last season and that turned out to be rubbish (apparently).

I think we are going to have to put up with Nicky being linked with a lot of clubs this summer. But once the World Cup gets going that will take some attention away.

Generally I would agree Sky is a reasonable source, but their website also ran the Jan Vennegor of Hesselink link with us last season and that turned out to be rubbish (apparently).

i heard that it was genuine, however it would have destroyed our wage structure.

i heard that it was genuine, however it would have destroyed our wage structure.

Right. Thanks for the shout. I did wonder because GJ joked his way out of the question at the time when put to him on BC Player, if i remember rightly.

I had Maynard down for being worth 8m. now earlier in the thread.

That should rise to 10m. at the end of the season if he can further prove himself by topping 20 goals in the Championship again next year.

He's already the best young English striker at Championship level - better too, in my opinion, than David Nugent who cost 6-7m and went on to play for England.

Let's say that this is Heskey and Crouch's last World Cup and Bent can't prove himself to be international standard.

Then Defoe gets injured. How many young English strikers do you see being above Maynard in the England pecking order to step up if he continues to score the eye-catching goals of last season?

Not many - Nicky Maynard will very likely play for England in the next couple of years if he continues to improve.

He may not be a regular player but he will get capped, and then it simply depends if he can take his chance.

Maynard is one of England's most promising and prolific young strikers and that is how City must value him now.

He may not be ready for the Premier League next season but if someone wants to take a chance on that then the fee must reflect not only his value to BCFC but his unlimited potential.

Stone cold sober valuation of 8m. PLUS add -ons, or no deal.:yes:

bang on there, Noggers. :yes:

Any bid from Burnley is irrelevant no reason at all for him to go there.

A bid from Fulham might be tempting for him, but it is probably more likely he'll complete one more year here under the guidance of SC see where it takes us then re assess in the summer, I would hope SL is working on a contract extention as well to protect our interests as long as we add a clause saying he can go if its a certain figure / big club etc it should suit both parties.

I don't think the 8 - 10 million comments are too far off the mark though, his value to us is around that area though I can't see any club paying that.

Let me add a comment on goals seen over 60+ years at the Gate.

I grew up watching our one true legend, John Atyeo at his absolute peak. John Atyeo's goals would often bring gasps from us mere mortals, goals from 20/30 yards were a regular occurrance.

That said, I would have to rate many of Mayards goals in the past season as equally pure class.

Nowhere near the size and strength of Atyeo, Maynard generates the power in his shots of a much bigger man. This point was mentioned by GJ early last season. Add to that , his placement and you have a very effective predetor from 20/30 yards out, he can create his own missiles.

John Atyeo scored better than a goal every 2 matches, that with two attacking wingers who stayed on the chalk, Hinshelwood and Boxley. Maynard scored 20 league goals without two attacking wingers who both whipped in good crosses, that was Atyeos secret , his body strength and power shot.

Maynard actually creates a lot of his own goals as did Atyeo, however Maynard is much more sublime, relying less on brute strength and more on touch and eye.

With Coppells wingers on the chalk philosophy in a 4-4-2, Maynard may indeed come of age. Nothing is cast in stone, however if City were to sell I will stick to my comment of a month back. We should start with last seasons debt, 6 million and with more than one bidder we might expect more.

I hope Maynard stays with us. Perhaps he could be given a new contract, a bigger goals/promotion incentive. In any event a regular playing position would be better than a part time bench selection in the Pemiership.

It was SL who specifically said, and repeated, that we could turn down an offer of any size (thanks to him, though he didn't say that of course). Those who seem convinced we will sell for something close to the alleged Burnley bid should bear that in mind.

But once a player's head gets turned by talks of a move, it is usually the beginning of the end. No club wants to hang on to a player who doesnt really want to be there, similar to Fabregas at Arsenal. However much the club say they will not sell at any price, if the players heart is no longer in it, maybe it is better to sell. On top of all this, remember the spell in midseason when Maynard scored one goal in twenty odd games, and was even dropped from the side.

But once a player's head gets turned by talks of a move, it is usually the beginning of the end. No club wants to hang on to a player who doesnt really want to be there, similar to Fabregas at Arsenal. However much the club say they will not sell at any price, if the players heart is no longer in it, maybe it is better to sell. On top of all this, remember the spell in midseason when Maynard scored one goal in twenty odd games, and was even dropped from the side.

You're right of course but unless and until that happens no issue arises and any sale would still be on our terms and therefore big big bucks. Not that I can see Nicky's head being turned by Burnley.:innocent06:

Regarding Nicky not wanting to move to Burnley, all the North West based players live in North Cheshire in WAGsville towns. They then commute to training/matches etc. All the clubs are probably within an hours drive (in a fancy car) so I doubt any Burnley players live in Burnley!!!

I hope he stays and wants to get City into the Prem. Personally I think we are as likely to go up as Burnley next season so it would be a sideways move, but if a Prem club comes in and offers 6-8 million I think he is gone...

We'll see. SC might be prepared to sell in order to fund a couple of purchases, or he might take the money whilst it is on offer, bearing in mind that he can go on a free once his contract expires, and the nearer that is, the lower the valuation. You also have to consider the wishes of player and agent, and what wages are being offered.

My feeling is that it will be £4/5m plus significant add-ons, if he goes.

There are a lot of factors to consider for both Club and player. Maybe we also have to consider that SL might prefer the finances to balance a bit better than at present. It's always risky relying on a wealthy benefactor, as you can end up in deep sh*t if the money dries up unexpectedly.

Archived