IGNORED

Maynard To Burnley

Guest forever_red

Let me add a comment on goals seen over 60+ years at the Gate.

I grew up watching our one true legend, John Atyeo at his absolute peak. John Atyeo's goals would often bring gasps from us mere mortals, goals from 20/30 yards were a regular occurrance.

That said, I would have to rate many of Mayards goals in the past season as equally pure class.

Nowhere near the size and strength of Atyeo, Maynard generates the power in his shots of a much bigger man. This point was mentioned by GJ early last season. Add to that , his placement and you have a very effective predetor from 20/30 yards out, he can create his own missiles.

John Atyeo scored better than a goal every 2 matches, that with two attacking wingers who stayed on the chalk, Hinshelwood and Boxley. Maynard scored 20 league goals without two attacking wingers who both whipped in good crosses, that was Atyeos secret , his body strength and power shot.

Maynard actually creates a lot of his own goals as did Atyeo, however Maynard is much more sublime, relying less on brute strength and more on touch and eye.

With Coppells wingers on the chalk philosophy in a 4-4-2, Maynard may indeed come of age. Nothing is cast in stone, however if City were to sell I will stick to my comment of a month back. We should start with last seasons debt, 6 million and with more than one bidder we might expect more.

I hope Maynard stays with us. Perhaps he could be given a new contract, a bigger goals/promotion incentive. In any event a regular playing position would be better than a part time bench selection in the Pemiership.

A very interesting read never saw big John play my days started with Garland and Galley over the years Ritchie, Cheesley formed a good strike force as did Turner and King Bob Taylor ,Mick Harford ,Andy Cole ,Lita to a lesser extent more singular strikers . Nicky Maynard is worth at least £7/£8 million to City perhaps in real terms overpriced but as a finisher with a decent service to supply him 30 goals could have been got last season. Who is going to replace him ???? his age and scope for improvement looks like he can only get better a future England international actually playing for BCFC WHO KNOWS ???.

I've worked it out though! :preacher:

Consider our ambition. A 20 goal a seasons striker is a must, we have that in Maynard, no reason why he cant go on and improve even further as hes just 23. The value of the Prem is massive to us, its what we may just achieve this season, but in order for that to happen we have to keep Maynard, he would be just impossible to replace, and I mean that impossible.

I pretty sure that SL would quite happily turn down £10m if Maynard insisted he wanted to stay. he's said this more than once, we don't need to sell him. We wont keep him against his will, but SL can turn down any offer, that means any offer, even £10m.

Some of those goals he scored were special. Premier League, La Liga, Series A, It would not matter, I think he can do it at the highest possible level.

I don't see many English strikers of his age scoring those type of goals in a league where the defenders are just as hard as Premier League ones being worth less than £10m.

Thats my professional opinion and value. I think a lot of fans agree. :bruce_h4h:

I certainly agree. Based on ability, potential and the current market I think you are spot on with that valuation. Unfortunately, I also think in reality we would accept less. Any less than 6m and I would be fuming, but I could honestly see it being as low as 4 to 5. We have never seemed to get the money some other clubs do for our top players. :crying:

I certainly agree. Based on ability, potential and the current market I think you are spot on with that valuation. Unfortunately, I also think in reality we would accept less. Any less than 6m and I would be fuming, but I could honestly see it being as low as 4 to 5. We have never seemed to get the money some other clubs do for our top players. :crying:

Too true, remember all those years ago reading how Bob Taylor won't be going anywhere for less than a million, not long after he joins West Brom for £300,000 I believe.

Fingers crossed Nicky will stay or we at least hold out for £6,000,000 .

Posters on clarets mad have stated they have seen a report on SSN that Burnley are coming back with an increased bid within 24hrs.

If I were SL and/or SC I would knock it back and then wait for the prem teams to inflate the value even more.

If this is played right, and the supposed interest in NM is there, we could get several million over 5m. That would certainly help our rebuilding campaign and would be worth parting with Maynard if silly money is offered.

Guest Chiva

any team in this division would be a side ways move for him.

I doubt footballers think like this though, they'll be worried about the same things as you or I would be in considering a job offer. Salary, standard of living, welfare of the family, long-term career prospects are surely what will come to mind in considering a move.

Don't forget Super Nicky Maynard came down to AG with his mum to sign the contract, not his agent. I think this speaks volumes about the man & would indicate he won't be influenced soley by money.

I agree with the posters above who qoute £8-10m as Nicky's value. What other English striker could you pick up at he moment for the same price who you would prefer to Maynard?

Too true, remember all those years ago reading how Bob Taylor won't be going anywhere for less than a million, not long after he joins West Brom for £300,000 I believe.

Fingers crossed Nicky will stay or we at least hold out for £6,000,000 .

Bobby Gould subsequently said he would have happily have paid a million but we didn't ask!

Neither Steve would fall into that trap I'm sure.

I have been in the midlands today with a few colleagues who are Baggie fans. They would love to have Maynard and believe that Di Matteo is interested in a bid. There views was that they would be looking to pay around £5m and offer cox or Ishmal Miller. Probably just fan rumours but if he did go then a player swap deal plus cash negates some of the sale on clause.

They also said that they would love to sign Haynes. This was based on the display at Ashton Gate when he destroyed them.

Not saying i would like either to go but what about player swap deals?

Guest oftbc

£10m are you serious? Really? £10m? Just over half of that from a Premier League club and he's a gonner!

Seriously? £10m?

Drinking on a week night is bad for you!!

He may not be worth taht now but to us that is what he is worth and a bid of between 8-10 million would be needed in order for us to sell imo.

I think if a 6-7million bid came in, we should take it.

Firstly, you can sign several quality players at that price (and knowing steve, that could be 10 irish league players! :dancing6: ).

Also, despite maynard being a great player, i do not think he is irreplaceable. A fair portion of nicky's goals came from absolutely nothing and if we can start playing some attacking football in dangerous areas, the goals are bound to come.

Lastly, for great amounts of a game maynard can actually be indistinguishable (big word). Perhaps it would be more advantageous for city to have a real playmaker? maybe... :tumbleweed:

nevertheless, i hope he stays :fingerscrossed:

ps. please dont destroy me! :ermm:

If true, they are having a laugh for several reasons:

* £3.75m is miles below his value to us or any other club. By the time we paid Crewe a sell-on fee, we would make zero profit on our most valuable player.

* No player in their right mind would swap playing for Steve Coppell for a season with loser Brian Laws.

* Nobody in their right mind would swap living in the West Country for life in Burnley.

* Nicky knows he will get offers from Prem clubs sooner or later so would be mad to take a gamble on a sideways move to another Championship club.

Go away Mr Laws - you have considerably less chance of getting promoted this season than we do.

Exactly. Maynard may be young and wet behind the ears, but completely insane he is not.

£10m are you serious? Really? £10m? Just over half of that from a Premier League club and he's a gonner!

Seriously? £10m?

Well I have only had juice but I agree with the valuation in principle (not necessarily £10m but far more than some of the amounts some are suggesting and much more than £3.75m). I'll repeat myself yet again (it's old age I tell you). For me it's not a question of what you, I or anybody else thinks he is "worth". It is a question of how much we can afford to turn down that will determine his fee, if he is sold. Given that SL says there is no limit to what we can refuse anybody who seriously wants him is going to have to pay very big bucks. SL's position will deter most if not all clubs, particulalrly given the financial situation of the game, and world at large, I believe.

Guest CITYRED

Seriously? £10m?

Nah mate your the drunk one if you would sell him for under 10 mill

tim viec lam duoc ngay tai www.vieclamtuyendung.vn voi 5000+ viec lam luong cao, hap dan.

"Tim viec lam duoc ngay tai www.vieclamtuyendung.vn voi 5000+ viec lam luong cao, hap dan. Tim viec lam phu hop cho tung ung vien.

Trang viec lam tuyen dung online hang dau ho tro gui ho so cho NTD ngay sau 1 gio dang tuyen

Dung bo lo co hoi tim viec lam ngay tai www.vieclamtuyendung.vn voi 5000+ viec lam luong cao, hap dan."

That's easy for you to say!

Nah mate your the drunk one if you would sell him for under 10 mill

I seriously dont think we would get 10 mill for him yeah we would push for that much but i very much doubt anyone would be willing to part that much cash for maynard.

5 mill at best and id be happy with that

I have been in the midlands today with a few colleagues who are Baggie fans. They would love to have Maynard and believe that Di Matteo is interested in a bid. There views was that they would be looking to pay around £5m and offer cox or Ishmal Miller. Probably just fan rumours but if he did go then a player swap deal plus cash negates some of the sale on clause.

They also said that they would love to sign Haynes. This was based on the display at Ashton Gate when he destroyed them.

Not saying i would like either to go but what about player swap deals?

I would be happy with something like that. Every player has a price and if we got a decent striker as part of the deal and it left SC with a few million to spend i would be happy.

I seriously dont think we would get 10 mill for him yeah we would push for that much but i very much doubt anyone would be willing to part that much cash for maynard.

5 mill at best and id be happy with that

But isn't that exactly the point? Thanks to SL we can repel just about any offer and so set the bar high enough to deter other clubs. I would never underestimate his determination and he was particularly vehement on this point. I seriously doubt he would settle for £5m therefore.

There is a woman and her family who stand behind us in the East End who would have given him away at Xmas when he was going through his dry spell. I am of the opinion that they were only allowed out for the day under supervision though................. bounce.gif

A rumour going around that a fee has been agreed between us and burnley, and he will be having a medical today or tomorrow. Cant confirm this is true. But seems to me its getting closer to a deal sad.gif

sauce?

I hope its not true... and i beleive Unless somebody from the premier come calling, that he will be a City player next season

A rumour going around that a fee has been agreed between us and burnley, and he will be having a medical today or tomorrow. Cant confirm this is true. But seems to me its getting closer to a deal :(

Really, despite Maynard being on Holiday?

A rumour going around that a fee has been agreed between us and burnley, and he will be having a medical today or tomorrow. Cant confirm this is true. But seems to me its getting closer to a deal :(

How is a deal getting closer when we have had no bids?

Presumably culled from football football-rumours.com:

04 Jun 2010 11:21:26

BREAKING NEWS

Nicky maynard & George Boyd both having medicals at burnley today after both players clubs accepted bids from burnley yesterday and billy sharp has already passed a medical and will also sign today

Sharps on his honeymoon so can't have passed a medical

... therefore highly implausible.

BREAKING NEWS

Nicky maynard & George Boyd both having medicals at burnley today after both players clubs accepted bids from burnley yesterday and billy sharp has already passed a medical and will also sign today

... therefore highly implausible.

So lets just count the Burnley strikers at that rate:

Patterson, Illewemuo, Sharpe, Boyd, Maynard.

When are they making a move for Torres & Rooney? :closedeyes:

But you said it just suggested it was moving towards a deal when the player isn't even in this country.

Its what iv been told by a fair few people, even a burnley fan i talk too. A deal can still be done between the two clubs, IE he wont join them till the 1st july or something like that.

Its what iv been told by a fair few people, even a burnley fan i talk too. A deal can still be done between the two clubs, IE he wont join them till the 1st july or something like that.

So he's having the alleged medical on holiday?:innocent06:

BREAKING NEWS

This made me smile - he's obviously having a good time. Damaged his groin perhaps?

Maynard knows coppell didn't go to Burnley and that was all bulshit too, right?

Guest ForestForever

I heard a whisper that Forest were sniffing around Mr Maynard.

Don't know how much truth is in it though but £2.5m + Nathan Tyson. I know Tyson has been linked with your lot before but that was before the game in Bristol in March shutup.gif Anyway, I hear Coppell is a big fan of Tyson from when he was in the youth team at Reading?

Probably bowlax, but thought I'd share it anyway

Guest Red Ass

I just cannot see this happening, we are trying to build here, and letting our star player leave for a rival side when we do not have to sell is just plain stupid, OK 8 or 10 million might turn SL head.

Utter BS, then factor in the lad is on holiday......utter utter BS

Don't know how much truth is in it though but £2.5m + Nathan Tyson. I know Tyson has been linked with your lot before but that was before the game in Bristol in March shutup.gif Anyway, I hear Coppell is a big fan of Tyson from when he was in the youth team at Reading?

Yeah to be fair you are down to your last 73 strikers so it would make sense to buy another.

Guest Red Ass

Why swap, when we have the best striker in the division? we don't need the money...

So lets just count the Burnley strikers at that rate:

Patterson, Illewemuo, Sharpe, Boyd, Maynard.

When are they making a move for Torres & Rooney? closedeyes.gif

Sorry but that made me laugh. You shoulda given up and put C.I.

icecream.gif

Nice bit of :fish: there.....

BTW, Notts Florest haven't got anywhere near enough cash to buy Nicky Maynard's right boot let alone the rest of him and why would he want to swap to another play off contender anyway.

Tyson is injury prone and nowhere near the player he used to be, IF Maynard goes it will be to a Premier League club for 5m+.

BCAGFC

Guest Mclovin BS14

Just to let you know, this is not maynard related but, just heard that harts is off because his family are not settled here, and are replacement is going to be james harper on a free, he is going to be Coppell's first signing as city manager.

Just to let you know, this is not maynard related but, just heard that harts is off because his family are not settled here, and are replacement is going to be james harper on a free, he is going to be Coppell's first signing as city manager.

They never moved here and they were never going to, so that's not true.

Guest Chiva

Nice bit of :fish: there.....

BTW, Notts Florest haven't got anywhere near enough cash to buy Nicky Maynard's right boot let alone the rest of him and why would he want to swap to another play off contender anyway.

Tyson is injury prone and nowhere near the player he used to be, IF Maynard goes it will be to a Premier League club for 5m+.

BCAGFC

Seeing as Forest have spent £4m and £5m during their two pre-seasons in this division, I suspect in theory that they would be one of the more likely contenders to stump up the cash. But £2.5m plus Tyson would basically be £2.5m plus nothing. Another million plus Joe Garner would not be a bad deal. However, I fail to see why a side containing Robert Earnshaw really needs Nicky Maynard. I couldn't see them both playing together and Earnshaw will always score goals.

A rumour going around that a fee has been agreed between us and burnley, and he will be having a medical today or tomorrow. Cant confirm this is true. But seems to me its getting closer to a deal sad.gif

I think this board needs to start getting a bit of perspective with regards Mr Maynard.

Firstly, Ive read some where on here Maynard could be an England International in the future. Really?? Dont get me wrong, Maynard is a good Championship player, and is getting better, but he is still very much a raw talent, and still hse a lot to learn before he even thinks about making the step up to the Prem...let alone anything else.

Secondly, talk of him being worth £8m / £10m......again, what?? Some people have said about Chopra and Nugent? sorry, but Maynard isnt (yet) in the same league as these two players when it comes to all round ability.

Thirdly, I dont believe he is heading to Burnley. Coppell didnt apply for the job, Lansdown approached him....and I guess, had to sell the club to him. Now, im fairly certain Coppell wouldnt have wanted to come here if he was told he would be selling his prized asset less then a month into his reign

Fourth, Maynard seems very career driven. didnt he travel down with his mum when he joined us???? on top of that, he obviously still takes advice from his former mentor Dario Gradi.....im fairly certain he will advise him not to go to Burnley. I mean, if City cant bring him "international football"....Burnley wont either

I did have a fifth, but have forgot.......damn

Secondly, talk of him being worth £8m / £10m......again, what?? Some people have said about Chopra and Nugent? sorry, but Maynard isnt (yet) in the same league as these two players when it comes to all round ability.

Don't really think £8-10m is realistic either, though I wouldn't allow him to go for any less than £6m even if he begged.

But you really think Chopra and Nugent are a class above him? No way. Look at the goals he scored this season, just no way at all.

He may prove to be no better than those two either, we won't know until we see if he can make it in the Prem (hopefully with us), but he's certainly as good as them right now.

Guest Red Ass

I think this board needs to start getting a bit of perspective with regards Mr Maynard.

Firstly, Ive read some where on here Maynard could be an England International in the future. Really?? Dont get me wrong, Maynard is a good Championship player, and is getting better, but he is still very much a raw talent, and still hse a lot to learn before he even thinks about making the step up to the Prem...let alone anything else.

Thirdly, I dont believe he is heading to Burnley. Coppell didnt apply for the job, Lansdown approached him....and I guess, had to sell the club to him. Now, im fairly certain Coppell wouldnt have wanted to come here if he was told he would be selling his prized asset less then a month into his reign

Fourth, Maynard seems very career driven. didnt he travel down with his mum when he joined us???? on top of that, he obviously still takes advice from his former mentor Dario Gradi.....im fairly certain he will advise him not to go to Burnley. I mean, if City cant bring him "international football"....Burnley wont either

Are you having a laugh, Maynards finishes are nothing short of incredible, Chopra and Nugent are not a patch on Maynard who is still learning his trade with age on his side.

And yes it will take a crazy bid of between 8 and 10 million before we sell, period, WE DO NOT NEED TO SELL.

Actually Dario Gradi said that. Having developed one or two internationals in his time he seems pretty well placed to judge.

If Maynard were to be sold it would be a major set back for Steve Coppell and Steve Lansdown would probably remain on his new island for the foreseeable future to save face considering what has been said so far.

Maynard is an all round nice guy possibly the best prospect since Cheeseley and he has a beautiful and very helpful G/F who rummaged around in the glove compartment of their car so Maynard could sign my nine year old sons programme.

A realistic figure to secure him as a player for another club at this precise moment 8 - 12 million and then it may well be an expensive BCFC mistake!.

Why would Maynard want to move to Burnley, Finacially they really can't afford to offer much more than us, they've got a manager who has managed to send two teams down in one season, we've got one with real pedigree. Turf moor is a sh*t hole anyone who has been there will know this. We're two years away from an international class stadium. Unless they offer us stupid money or a Premier League club comes sniffing around, he'll be at the gate next season.

Guest DolmanRed

Why would Maynard want to move to Burnley, Finacially they really can't afford to offer much more than us, they've got a manager who has managed to send two teams down in one season, we've got one with real pedigree. Turf moor is a sh*t hole anyone who has been there will know this. We're two years away from an international class stadium. Unless they offer us stupid money or a Premier League club comes sniffing around, he'll be at the gate next season.

Just spotted - Brian Laws and Ronaldo in Burnley's St James St Macdonalds, Laws was overheard mentioning the sheer number of tanning booths available to him in the city, Ronaldo's agent wants to check this out before he commits.

Firstly, Ive read some where on here Maynard could be an England International in the future. Really??

If you're really so incredulous about Maynard's England prospects, perhaps you could name, let's say, half a dozen young English strikers who are better placed than Nicky Maynard to force their way into the national squad as back up to Rooney and Defoe in the next couple of years?dunno.gif

If you're really so incredulous about Maynard's England prospects, perhaps you could name, let's say, half a dozen young English strikers who are better placed than Nicky Maynard to force their way into the national squad as back up to Rooney and Defoe in the next couple of years?dunno.gif

... also nobody suggested it. Dario Gradi suggested it and the story was mentioned on here (along with various news sites)

... also nobody suggested it. Dario Gradi suggested it and the story was mentioned on here (along with various news sites)

I did, earlier in this thread and on another one.smile.gif

I'd say it's very unlikely he won't get capped.

Guest lou-peters-dive

I did, earlier in this thread and on another one.smile.gif

I'd say it's very unlikely he won't get capped.

Right everyone. I would suggest that this subject be put to bed. Nicky is going nowhere.

He is our player and rather than him going I would say we are looking to add someone to

compliment him. We have a great opportunity to build a squad of players capable of getting

into the Premier League. We have a chairman/manager/coaching team who are totally committed

to this and I think that it's time to stop silly talk of certain players leaving etc. We all know

that some will leave but to keep this thread going about our best players leaving is just imo

down right mischievious. So lets talk sensibly about how to take our club forward and not be

negative because to be a big club we need quality players and that means keeping them

and not selling them.

There are a few players placed at better clubs in the Premier League, who are obviously better placed, due to playing for the U21's (Sturridge, Welbeck, Walcott and Delfouneso). They also have a bit more exposure by playing for top half Premier League clubs, for Maynard to get close to the National side, is to be playing in the Premier League. If he has another season like he did for us in the one just gone, while also scoring more close range goals and being more clinical, then he has every chance of getting a call up for some friendlies.

Guest maidenheadred

Yep, that one is true.

Are you having a laugh, Maynards finishes are nothing short of incredible, Chopra and Nugent are not a patch on Maynard who is still learning his trade with age on his side.

And yes it will take a crazy bid of between 8 and 10 million before we sell, period, WE DO NOT NEED TO SELL.

Im not doubting Maynards ability to score a screamer, in fact, im not doubting him at all. At this moment in time, Chopra and Nugent are a lot more polished off. Their all round game is a tad better. Maynard, in time, if he works hard, WILL be better then both.....but for now, he is still very much a rough diamond

Andy Carroll, Nathan Delfouneso, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck, Alex Nimley (Man C kiddy, one for the future), Scott Sinclair (some people may snort at that, but Chelsea dont want to sell him, so he must have something), Theo Walcott can easily play up front, all decent young prospects. Only problem is, due to the foreign effect at the minute....your not seeing them

Yep, that one is true.

SC has said that he wont make any decisions and will assess the squad when pre-season starts in July right? He also says that he is unlikely to be going to Reading to get players? Yet despite that people are happy to 100% believe rumours that fly in the face of both of these statements. I am not saying it's wrong just don't quite get where the rumours come from in the first place.

SC has said that he wont make any decisions and will assess the squad when pre-season starts in July right?

Watch the three parter interview where he allegedly said this. What you'll find is that he doesn't speak in absolutes.

He added: "As far as I'm concerned they haven't progressed because again I want to make an assessment. In an ideal world I will know everyone who is available, we'd start training on July 1st and that is when you really get to know players.

"I can look at so many DVDs and see all the games. But it is only when you are in control of a player and you see how he reacts to you and see how he reacts to the way you want him to play that you see the chemistry. Once you see all that that is when you can start making decisions.

"In an ideal world I will have two weeks of pre-season training - maybe play a couple of games and then I will be able to say right, this is what I want to do. Hopefully the players I want will still be available. It isn't going to happen like that though.

"You are going to have to take a risk on players. It is like the draft in the NFL, you're hoping the players you want are still available when it comes to your pick. I cannot imagine that there will be a great deal of traffic before July."

He also says that he is unlikely to be going to Reading to get players? Yet despite that people are happy to 100% believe rumours that fly in the face of both of these statements. I am not saying it's wrong just don't quite get where the rumours come from in the first place.

That was in the context of raiding their current squad. Harper isn't a Reading player.

Yet despite that people are happy to 100% believe rumours that fly in the face of both of these statements. I am not saying it's wrong just don't quite get where the rumours come from in the first place.

It's the same every close season. This one seems more likely than most even though it seemed fairly clear from his frequent trips home that Hartley's family didn't move here.

Watch the three parter interview where he allegedly said this. What you'll find is that he doesn't speak in absolutes.

He added: "As far as I'm concerned they haven't progressed because again I want to make an assessment. In an ideal world I will know everyone who is available, we'd start training on July 1st and that is when you really get to know players.

"I can look at so many DVDs and see all the games. But it is only when you are in control of a player and you see how he reacts to you and see how he reacts to the way you want him to play that you see the chemistry. Once you see all that that is when you can start making decisions.

"In an ideal world I will have two weeks of pre-season training - maybe play a couple of games and then I will be able to say right, this is what I want to do. Hopefully the players I want will still be available. It isn't going to happen like that though.

"You are going to have to take a risk on players. It is like the draft in the NFL, you're hoping the players you want are still available when it comes to your pick. I cannot imagine that there will be a great deal of traffic before July."

That was in the context of raiding their current squad. Harper isn't a Reading player.

It's the same every close season. This one seems more likely than most even though it seemed fairly clear from his frequent trips home that Hartley's family didn't move here.

You're right of course. I too misinterpreted what Steve said until somebody on here referred me back to the interview. He seems to choose his words carefully and is sometimes a little ambiguous. No bad thing if you don't want to be tied down and have your words thrown back at you in the future.

I agree 10 million is silly considering Bent went to Sunderland for 12, but in what way is he not better than Chopra? He scored more goals for a team with a significantly lower standard of service, and Chopra couldn't score half the screamers Maynard has. He is one of the best finishers around, without doubt.

Guest Ison

I have to agree to an extent with Andy. While Maynard consistently scored spectacular goals last season, in my opinion he has a long way to go before his game is as well-rounded as Chopra's. I think we'd take anything over 5m very seriously.

Speaking to an employee of Burnley yesterday, he tells me they have offered £2m for Maynard which, as i said to him, should end their interest as quickly as it starts given that it is £225k less than we paid for him.

Archived