IGNORED

Maynard To Burnley

Guest forever_red

Andy Carroll, Nathan Delfouneso, Daniel Sturridge, Daniel Welbeck, Alex Nimley (Man C kiddy, one for the future), Scott Sinclair (some people may snort at that, but Chelsea dont want to sell him, so he must have something), Theo Walcott can easily play up front, all decent young prospects. Only problem is, due to the foreign effect at the minute....your not seeing them

Thanks for naming your top 7 contenders standing in the way of Nicky Maynard being capped by England in the future.

Carroll - good player, but very questionable temperament and may be seen more as a replacement for Crouch/Heskey than Rooney/Defoe. Scored less goals for a free scoring Newcastle side last season than Maynard did for City. He may become irrelevant anyway as Levein is currently trying to persuade Carroll to play for Scotland, who he qualifies for through his grandparents.

Delfouneso - cannot break into the Villa team, perhaps not too surprising when he has only managed 1 goal in his 13 previous appearances.

Sturridge - an outstanding youth player at Man. City who has stood still at Chelsea. Probably the strongest candidate on your list if he can show the desire to fulfil his undoubted potential. Like Carroll his temperament seems suspect.

Welbeck - Averages less than a goal every 5 games at first team level, only managed 2 in 8 on loan at PNE. Plays as often on the wing as as he does as a striker. Probably end up in the Championship or lower Premier League because it's hard to see him ever being a regular for Man.Utd.

Nimely - Young Liberian, capped at youth level by them who has now chosen to qualify for England through his English father. Not on the first team radar at all at Man. City and unlikely to be so as they sign proven internationals. Maynard is a far more likely England candidate.

Sinclair - not really a striker at all, like Welbeck more of a winger. If he is classed as a striker then he's not a very effective one as a career record of a paltry 6 goals in 72 appearances for various clubs would testify. As a goalscoring forward NickyMaynard is miles ahead.

Walcott - really a winger, as a 1 goal in 9 apps. ratio would seem to confirm. Can be a great player, but as Capello says he seems to have not progressed at all in the last 2 years. Very unfortunately he may never fulfil his potential at international level. If he does, it certainly won't be as a striker.

The only one I'd agree with from the above list is Sturridge, a special talent who will go on to play for England if he gets the opportunity to play regularly at Chelsea and can then prove himself a regular goalscorer. One you don't mention is Gabby Agbonlahor who must presently be well above Maynard, and all the rest, in the pecking order. Then there is Carlton Cole who is often mooted as having an international future, but, like Bent, seems to fall a bit short at that level. Point is, there really are not many who stand out above Maynard should Rooney or Defoe get injured.

We shall see, but if Maynard can continue to produce last season's form, goal tally, and eye catching goals then it's surely a matter of when, rather than if, he gets capped by England.

I have to agree to an extent with Andy. While Maynard consistently scored spectacular goals last season, in my opinion he has a long way to go before his game is as well-rounded as Chopra's. I think we'd take anything over 5m very seriously.

Maynard. Not for sale. Not to bloody Burnley anyway, or anyone else in the same league!

But yer if you think of his age + potential + that 90m for going up for scoring sum goals, 2.25m does begin to sound cheap. Love the way he has progressed a bit from being quite fragile and getting pushed off the ball to being stronger and always looking for an opportunity - I swear, give him the ball when he needs it and you will get a goal.

Onwards next season, we need Nicky Maynard.

Guest V-Unit

What a load of crap !! Maynard's not stupid he's a bright lad who know's a good thing when he see's it and that's staying at the Gate next season working with Stevie C and the new signing's and learning how to step his game up even more can't see him learning alot from laws or a subs bench in the Prem to be honest

Gotta love indirect qualification.

I can play for South Africa through my mother's birth and the fact i grew up there for a while in the 1980s.

However I am still waiting for the call....

Too true: I'm entitled to play for Australia, England and Wales, but ,strangely, nobody has contacted me.

Funny that........

Thanks for naming your top 7 contenders standing in the way of Nicky Maynard being capped by England in the future.

Carroll - good player, but very questionable temperament and may be seen more as a replacement for Crouch/Heskey than Rooney/Defoe. Scored less goals for a free scoring Newcastle side last season than Maynard did for City. He may become irrelevant anyway as Levein is currently trying to persuade Carroll to play for Scotland, who he qualifies for through his grandparents.

Delfouneso - cannot break into the Villa team, perhaps not too surprising when he has only managed 1 goal in his 13 previous appearances.

Sturridge - an outstanding youth player at Man. City who has stood still at Chelsea. Probably the strongest candidate on your list if he can show the desire to fulfil his undoubted potential. Like Carroll his temperament seems suspect.

Welbeck - Averages less than a goal every 5 games at first team level, only managed 2 in 8 on loan at PNE. Plays as often on the wing as as he does as a striker. Probably end up in the Championship or lower Premier League because it's hard to see him ever being a regular for Man.Utd.

Nimely - Young Liberian, capped at youth level by them who has now chosen to qualify for England through his English father. Not on the first team radar at all at Man. City and unlikely to be so as they sign proven internationals. Maynard is a far more likely England candidate.

Sinclair - not really a striker at all, like Welbeck more of a winger. If he is classed as a striker then he's not a very effective one as a career record of a paltry 6 goals in 72 appearances for various clubs would testify. As a goalscoring forward NickyMaynard is miles ahead.

Walcott - really a winger, as a 1 goal in 9 apps. ratio would seem to confirm. Can be a great player, but as Capello says he seems to have not progressed at all in the last 2 years. Very unfortunately he may never fulfil his potential at international level. If he does, it certainly won't be as a striker.

The only one I'd agree with from the above list is Sturridge, a special talent who will go on to play for England if he gets the opportunity to play regularly at Chelsea and can then prove himself a regular goalscorer. One you don't mention is Gabby Agbonlahor who must presently be well above Maynard, and all the rest, in the pecking order. Then there is Carlton Cole who is often mooted as having an international future, but, like Bent, seems to fall a bit short at that level. Point is, there really are not many who stand out above Maynard should Rooney or Defoe get injured.

We shall see, but if Maynard can continue to produce last season's form, goal tally, and eye catching goals then it's surely a matter of when, rather than if, he gets capped by England.

Dont get me wrong, I do agree that Maynard is a massive talent that could go all the way. He has the potential, he really does, and he should achieve a lot more in the game then Chopra and Nugent

I believe it was someone like John Terry who said it when Chelsea won their first title a few years back "winning the title is the easy part, retaining it for a number of seasons like Mau U did will be the hard bit....." Liken this to Maynard, "its easy to have one season where you bang in 20+ goals.....next season however will be the tough one, as he will be a marked man and every defender will be looking to keep him under wraps"

IF he bags another 18+ next year.......then its a different story

Maynard hasn't scored a single goal in the Prem so comparing his goals per game ratio to those other players is a bit rediculous IMO. If it came to it do you really think Capello would call up Maynard instead of Owen, Kevin Davis, Andy Johnson, Zamora etc etc.

I know this is more about young players with talent, but to say Maynard is above any Premier League player in the England pecking order is rediculous. He has never played against world class defenders so it is impossible to say how he would do in the top flight. So many players have scored for fun in the lower divisions but not cut it at the top level. Fingers crossed he has a chance to get there with City.

£10 million valuation? That's absolutely ridiculous. He has proven he has got quality and can consistently score at this level, but there have been strikers in the past who have done similarly well and gone for nowhere near that price.

I think your missing the point. The club can put whatever valuation on the player it wants.

If 10 million puts you off and you say he's not worth it, then its served its purpose.

A couple of facts. We are not a selling club, this has been confirmed by our chairman who is worth a cool £452 million.

Our chairman wants to get city up to the premier league, hence the appointment of Coppell and the new stadium in the offing.

Maynard is our top scorer and we would need a ridiculous offer to sell. Anything less than £6m will no doubt be rejected - this I am pretty confident about. He may well be sold, but only on our terms which means a stupidly sized fee :)

Last point, Maynard would probably not find a move to Burnley attractive, compared to other options available including staying here at Ashton Gate.

Guest ClaretsMad

A couple of facts. We are not a selling club, this has been confirmed by our chairman who is worth a cool £452 million.

Our chairman wants to get city up to the premier league, hence the appointment of Coppell and the new stadium in the offing.

Maynard is our top scorer and we would need a ridiculous offer to sell. Anything less than £6m will no doubt be rejected - this I am pretty confident about. He may well be sold, but only on our terms which means a stupidly sized fee :)

Last point, Maynard would probably not find a move to Burnley attractive, compared to other options available including staying here at Ashton Gate.

you don't have to be a selling club. are man united? if the price is right and the player wants to go a deal will be done. i think maynard will go this summer, i doubt the fee will be more than 6million, and i doubt it will be to burnley.

Maynard still has a long way to go before he's international class. His finishing is fantastic but in the prem he won't get anywhere near as much room. His off the ball runs need a lot of work if he's to be a big hit in the prem because at the moment it's not great.

you don't have to be a selling club. are man united? if the price is right and the player wants to go a deal will be done. i think maynard will go this summer, i doubt the fee will be more than 6million, and i doubt it will be to burnley.

Dear Claretsad, what part of - ' Our chairman will NOT sell Maynard for 6million pounds' - do you not understand?

With the greatest respects - Bristol City- is much less in debt than Man U (thanks do the Glazers) - so we are not a selling club, whereas they are....so we really do not have to sell. But yawn If some club comes in with a silly money bid......then perhaps we might!

Just a thought on the scale of his wealth - due to the drop is share prices today, SL will have 'lost' more in one day than the valuation of Nicky Maynard.

Life's a bit of a game when you're that rich.

Guest ClaretsMad

Dear Claretsad, what part of - ' Our chairman will NOT sell Maynard for 6million pounds' - do you not understand?

With the greatest respects - Bristol City- is much less in debt than Man U (thanks do the Glazers) - so we are not a selling club, whereas they are....so we really do not have to sell. But yawn If some club comes in with a silly money bid......then perhaps we might!

He won't just because he's worth quite a bit of money. it's not uncommon for a football chairman to have a lot of money, but at the end of the day they are businessmen. especially if maynard has his head turned (which may or may not happen, and as people have rightly said that is unlikely to be burnley) then i can see him going without doubt. i would put the maximum figure looking at the market as 8million, with 4.5-6million my expected price.

none of us can state anything with real clarity as we are not the parties involved. that's just my opinion, yours is yours. we will see what happens in the next few weeks, but as i said best of luck for next season and hopefully you can push on under a quality manager.

What an embarrassing post.

In my opinion he'd be gone today if a 6m offer came in.

The real answer here is the player/agent. if Maynard is as ambitious as we all think he is there is no way he will join Burnley. After all any club that shows the sort of lack of ambition that Burnley did by employing Laws, Should tell Maynard all he needs to know about the club.

However Maynard is a footballer and his agent is bound to be a money grabbing leech, So who knows if he will take what is on offer now or hopefully have at least one more season and prove he is the real deal and either stay because we have been promoted or take his pick of truly ambitious Premier League clubs.

We have a new ground with first class facilities on the horizon, a wealthy and very ambitious chairman. Not forgetting Steve Coppell as manager.

If Maynard does go, with respect to Burnley it won't be to Turf Moor. It would take a higher profile club ie prem and a bid that Burnley wouldn't get near ie 6million plus.

However I know a striker at loftis road who drives a bentley that you could get instead. :)

Spoke to Nicky Maynard Saturday. I don't think he is leaving from what I understand. He didn't let on a lot but in the same breath he is looking forward to next season at Bristol City.

MM

However Maynard is a footballer and his agent is bound to be a money grabbing leech, So who knows if he will take what is on offer now or hopefully have at least one more season and prove he is the real deal and either stay because we have been promoted or take his pick of truly ambitious Premier League clubs.

During his transfer to City his mum was heavily involved in the deal move and seemed to keep his feet on the floor etc. I'd be surprised if he was being badly advised.

Hi Claretsmad, a very sane post, and definitely one of the more realistic. Our Chairman may be worth £452m, but deduct his investment in the new stadium, losses of around £10 million per year at City, and you see this wealth rapidly dwindling. In addition, he has always suggested that he wants the playing budget to balance (Or nearly balance), and when you consider how much Johnson was allowed to spend, we don't actually have a lot to show for it in terms of saleable players. You look at the £92m for the 'Premier League', well most of that will be pi**ed up the wall in players wages, it's almost like chasing rainbows. As for Maynard, he's probably worth about £5m tops right now, if he has a poor start to the season, that will drop, and as he gets closer to being out of contract, it will also drop.

We shall see what happens, I have a feeling that players will have to leave to allow SC the opportunity to bring in new faces. Well, it's either that or an incredibly large squad. One thing I have learnt, spending money that you don't have is not sustainable in the long-term.

Right everyone. I would suggest that this subject be put to bed. Nicky is going nowhere.

He is our player and rather than him going I would say we are looking to add someone to

compliment him. We have a great opportunity to build a squad of players capable of getting

into the Premier League. We have a chairman/manager/coaching team who are totally committed

to this and I think that it's time to stop silly talk of certain players leaving etc. We all know

that some will leave but to keep this thread going about our best players leaving is just imo

down right mischievious. So lets talk sensibly about how to take our club forward and not be

negative because to be a big club we need quality players and that means keeping them

and not selling them.

Totally agred

More embarrassing than believing you know better than Steve Lansdown? How many times does it have to be repeated that he said we can afford to turn down any offer? There is no figure you can pluck out of the air that counts more than Steve's word. Unless Nicky agitates for a move (and with respect he is not going to demand a move to Burnley) any figure is irrelevant.

Guest Kewy88

I wish someone would delete this thread it drives me crazy everytime I check on here it's another person saying we won't sale, the fact of the matter is we have no say on weather he stays or goes, or weather sl decides to accept a bid, i no all football players are the same if another team offers them double or triple what they get paid now they will move on, weather that's to a club in the same league or another one. If people think he will stay a we have more chance of getting promotion then there deluded he could have a crap next season or even get a bad injury and then he would be worth next to nothing so of course he will change clubs or money! I don't want to see him go anymore then the next person but I no if I got offered the same job for double my wages I'd be gone

Hi Claretsmad, a very sane post, and definitely one of the more realistic. Our Chairman may be worth £452m, but deduct his investment in the new stadium, losses of around £10 million per year at City, and you see this wealth rapidly dwindling. In addition, he has always suggested that he wants the playing budget to balance (Or nearly balance), and when you consider how much Johnson was allowed to spend, we don't actually have a lot to show for it in terms of saleable players. You look at the £92m for the 'Premier League', well most of that will be pi**ed up the wall in players wages, it's almost like chasing rainbows. As for Maynard, he's probably worth about £5m tops right now, if he has a poor start to the season, that will drop, and as he gets closer to being out of contract, it will also drop.

We shall see what happens, I have a feeling that players will have to leave to allow SC the opportunity to bring in new faces. Well, it's either that or an incredibly large squad. One thing I have learnt, spending money that you don't have is not sustainable in the long-term.

What a ray of sunshine you are on a cloudy day Chap......:rolleyes:

Luckily for us our chairman is not as blinkered and narrow minded as you......we will have many offers over the next few weeks for Maynard.....and i really don't see him going unless we are offered silly money.

I don't believe we have to ship players out before we bring them in on a financial level, but Coppell has stated that the squad we currently have is unbalanced and unneccessarily big, so that does suggest that some faces will be moving on, and thus new ones will be brought in.

More embarrassing than believing you know better than Steve Lansdown? How many times does it have to be repeated that he said we can afford to turn down any offer? There is no figure you can pluck out of the air that counts more than Steve's word. Unless Nicky agitates for a move (and with respect he is not going to demand a move to Burnley) any figure is irrelevant.

It's not though is it because clearly if someone bid 20 million for Maynard we'd sell.

I don't believe we have to ship players out before we bring them in on a financial level, but Coppell has stated that the squad we currently have is unbalanced and unneccessarily big, so that does suggest that some faces will be moving on, and thus new ones will be brought in.

It's not though is it because clearly if someone bid 20 million for Maynard we'd sell.

SC has also stated that with players under contract he may not achieve what he wants straight away. Furthermore he has said it is already a strong squad and major surgery isn't needed.

As to Maynard, the point is that thanks to SL we can set the bar so high as to deter any serious suitors. That is we can demand such a high fee that they will not be prepared to take the risk (assuming Man City are not in the picture :innocent06:). Either you believe what he says or you don't I guess; personally he came across as so adamant that I do. Which is why I disregard anybody who claims to know the precise amount we will sell for, regardless of what Steve says.

There is not much sign of serious Premier League interest either. Of the two clubs rumoured to be interested Fulham are now after a German striker and Wolves have signed Fletcher. If their interest was genuine they have clearly been put off. Even if Nicky demands a move (and does anybody think he will be begging to go to Burnley?) it will still only happen on Steve's (and Steve's!) terms. Fortunately neither Steve is prepared to give in as easily as some of our fans seem to be.

SC has also stated that with players under contract he may not achieve what he wants straight away. Furthermore he has said it is already a strong squad and major surgery isn't needed.

As to Maynard, the point is that thanks to SL we can set the bar so high as to deter any serious suitors. That is we can demand such a high fee that they will not be prepared to take the risk (assuming Man City are not in the picture innocent06.gif). Either you believe what he says or you don't I guess; personally he came across as so adamant that I do. Which is why I disregard anybody who claims to know the precise amount we will sell for, regardless of what Steve says.

There is not much sign of serious Premier League interest either. Of the two clubs rumoured to be interested Fulham are now after a German striker and Wolves have signed Fletcher. If their interest was genuine they have clearly been put off. Even if Nicky demands a move (and does anybody think he will be begging to go to Burnley?) it will still only happen on Steve's (and Steve's!) terms. Fortunately neither Steve is prepared to give in as easily as some of our fans seem to be.

Don't get me wrong I've stated all along that I don't believe he will go, as he is so important to us that the price we would require for him is probably not worth the risk to a Prem club, as he has no top flight experience. However to suggest we wouldn't sell for anything is foolish, and if any double figure bid came in (which it clearly won't) he'd be gone in an instance. I also believe if we were to recieve a bid of 5 or 6 million we would probably sell.

As for your SL comments, I believe he was clever saying what he did, that we do not need to sell, as it implies we will only sell for silly money, hence putting people off of bidding. This is clever. However to suggest that what he says is 100% true is not always the way I see things, he acts in the best way for the club, and sometimes bold statements like this can wave off interest, a positive act for Bristol City Football Club.

Luckily for us our chairman is not as blinkered and narrow minded as you......we will have many offers over the next few weeks for Maynard.....and i really don't see him going unless we are offered silly money.

What I can't understand is why some people, like you, can't understand that whether Maynard goes or not has nothing to do with how much money Bristol City are offered.

The Burnley fans dont half go on about my "sideways move" comment...

Can't i see the wood through the trees or summot??? Last time i looked at next season's division, there they are along with us, along with Leeds, Portsmouth, Hull and Cardiff.

They're just basing on their 1 season in the top flight, which fair enough, they earnt the right to play there and they did well against some of the top teams.

But i can apply that logic to say that Nottingham Forest are better than Chelsea cuz they've won the champions league twice and chelsea aint. - bit extreme??? ok, Villa won it in 1982, that makes them better than chelsea as well.

I live in the now. If burnley get promoted again and stay up there and establish themselves in the Premier League, then they can consider themselves bigger than the clubs who are in this division. Before last year, they hadn't been in the top division since 1976. We were last up there in 1979.

or you can tell me to ssssshhhhhh icecream.gif

What I can't understand is why some people, like you, can't understand that whether Maynard goes or not has nothing to do with how much money Bristol City are offered.

Yes, but the reason you can't understand people like me is because you think whether Maynard stays or goes has nothing to do with money.

(Anon)Dear SL i am a football manager and i would like to buy NM for £1million........(SL) 'Er...no thanks that not enough'.......(Anon) 'Ah...but thats where your wrong old chap...it has nothing to do with money'.........(SL) It bloody well does now p"*ss off!

Obviously if NM wants to leave will have a huge bearing on the matter, but to try and imply money has nothing to do with it is a bit dense really!

innocent06.gif

(Anon)Dear SL i am a football manager and i would like to buy NM for £1million........(SL) 'Er...no thanks that not enough'.......(Anon) 'Ah...but thats where your wrong old chap...it has nothing to do with money'.........(SL) It bloody well does now p"*ss off!

brilliant

So the fee is irrelevant? That implies that if he wanted to go we would accept any old offer. Would we accept less than we paid for him do you think, or even a fee that gave us little profit? Should he insist on a transfer he would get it, but on our terms. We are not in a position to stop him going should he want to but we are in a position to determine the price.

So the fee is irrelevant? That implies that if he wanted to go we would accept any old offer. Would we accept less than we paid for him do you think, or even a fee that gave us little profit? Should he insist on a transfer he would get it, but on our terms. We are not in a position to stop him going should he want to but we are in a position to determine the price.

No, the fee is just irrelevant to whether he goes. SL is not going to accept an offer just because the fee is good, because he doesn't need the cash.

One of two deciding factors will come into play. a) Does Nicky Maynard want to go? b) Does Steve Coppell believe he can strengthen the squad more with the money offered despite losing Nicky?

I think b) is unlikely given the importance and rarity of a 20 goal striker in the Championship.

a) is unlikely whilst the offers are from Championship clubs - he's as good a chance of promotion here as many others.

If it were Everton or Villa or Newcastle I could see a) happening.

Then it's a case of getting as much as you can for him, even though the decision about him going has already been effectively made.

I think he's here for one more season, and then he'll be off if he has a good one and we don't go up.

No, the fee is just irrelevant to whether he goes. SL is not going to accept an offer just because the fee is good, because he doesn't need the cash.

One of two deciding factors will come into play. a) Does Nicky Maynard want to go? b) Does Steve Coppell believe he can strengthen the squad more with the money offered despite losing Nicky?

I think b) is unlikely given the importance and rarity of a 20 goal striker in the Championship.

a) is unlikely whilst the offers are from Championship clubs - he's as good a chance of promotion here as many others.

If it were Everton or Villa or Newcastle I could see a) happening.

Then it's a case of getting as much as you can for him, even though the decision about him going has already been effectively made.

I think he's here for one more season, and then he'll be off if he has a good one and we don't go up.

Yes, i think that just about sums it up. You finish by saying 'It's a case of geting as much as we can for him if he wants to leave' - that is true....but there will be a minimum figure i am sure SL would let him go for in that instance.....and i happen to believe IMO this will be over £6million . I am sure that both SL and SC will weigh up the players ambition (not wanting to keep an unhappy player) with the best interests of the club. I also believe if he goes it will be to the prem, and a prem side will have no problems coughing up that sort of dosh.........

What a ray of sunshine you are on a cloudy day Chap......rolleyes.gif

Trying to be realistic. I just look at the money that we have wasted over the past couple of years, how few valuable players we have, how we have neglected youth development, how much money we are losing each year, and it's really quite scary. It's getting a bit 'Gordon Brown' on here, keep on spending, we don't need to sell, we're rich, Steve will keep on baling us out etc. I still remember 1982, and if we are not careful, we'll be trying to dodge a 10 point penalty.

Put it another way, an estimate of last years losses is £10 million, our aggregate attendance was 350,000 (Both figures are guesses), in other words, SL subsidised each fan coming to AG to the tune of £30 per game.

If it came to it do you really think Capello would call up Maynard instead of Owen, Kevin Davis, Andy Johnson, Zamora etc etc.

Very likely.

Michael Owen's international career has been finished for some time. Andy Johnson is injury prone and looked out of his depth in his few international appearances, scoring a grand total of no goals at all in 8 appearances. Kevin Davies is 33 and has a 1 goal in 5 record for Bolton and has never been seen as England material. Zamora is nowhere near international class - that is London media led fiction - he had an impressive 2nd half to the season but don't forget he was so poor earlier in the season that he was being booed by Fulham fans up until Christmas. Would he have played much at all if Johnson had been fit?

So those 4 can probably be ruled out as Capello looks to the future after the World Cup.

You'd think the likes of Agbonlahor, Carlton Cole, and Sturridge are Maynard's real rivals as Rooney/Defoe understudies and even then Cole and Sturridge are far from proven.

Maynard may or may not be able to do it at the top level, we won't know until he gets the chance. However 8m. for one of the few young English forwards scoring great goals regularly, and a real possibility of being a future England international forward could be seen as a very worthwhile gamble by a number of Premier League teams.

Yes, but the reason you can't understand people like me is because you think whether Maynard stays or goes has nothing to do with money.

Obviously if NM wants to leave will have a huge bearing on the matter, but to try and imply money has nothing to do with it is a bit dense really!

innocent06.gif

I didn't say that money has nothing to do with it. Money has everything to do with it.

It's just that what Bristol City are offered is largely irrelevant.

Guest ajbcfc

I didn't say that money has nothing to do with it. Money has everything to do with it.

Our Club still have to accept the bid, and lets be honest, Maynards not gonna be too upset by a bid being rejected from burnley while Premier League clubs are still looking at him.

How can it be largely irrelevant? He won't be allowed to go for free will he? He won't go for £1million or £2million...etc....somewhere along the line IF a Prem club comes in for him, NM will want to go.....who would want to stand in his way? So, negotiations will begin. The buying club will try and get him as cheap as pos. But the bottom line is if a Prem club really wants him then they will be prepared to pay handsomely (SL will make sure of this) and £6mill+ is not even front page news at that level.

Has this thread not died or been locked? :yawn:

Its really simple as other posters here have said. SL wont sell NM to a Championship club, end of story.

SL wants Prem league, make no mistakes. Selling NM to Burnley would be a massive own goal. Any Champ club is a side step for Maynard, I believe he wants to stay here and unless a BIG prem club comes knocking and no disrespect to Ex Prem stars Burnley or make-weights Blackpool, they aint ever gonna fulfil his ambition.

I believe an £8m bid from anyone would be swiftly rejected, any more then we are talking a big Prem side and Maynard may see this as a right move for him and the club. SL has said he wont stand in any players waym we only have committed players. Personally I think once in the Prem we can stay there, we aint a top 4, but we could be a top half side given the chance. Just have to get there and Maynard is key, could be a City legend if we can keep hold.

Pfft If Burnley or anyone think £5m will do it then they've totally underestimated SL and his ambition imo, there is no way in the world we cant replace a settled 20 goal a season striker for £5m, given his age the type goals he score, you just cant do it!

We must take full advantage of our situation, give SC all the support, add to Maynard not worry about replacing him. If SC finds a £3m striker to play along side NM I bet you SL would back him, as he did with GJ.

**** it, this can be our season, and even if its not it aint gonna be too long now, we wont sleep forever.

One other factor is that all players, especially strikers, like nothing more than being The Man. Maynard was The Man at Crewe and no doubt he loved being the guy that colleagues and supporters were in awe of. Then he joined City and had to start at the bottom again, and he took a while to establish himself. Now, he's the first name on the team sheet and has the respect of all of us. That is a very satisfying situation and the risk of joining a bigger club where only an immediate impact will guarantee him games, let alone adulation, could be off-putting. Naturally he's ambitious but also has time on his side. If money is a driver for him, I'm sure an improved contract at City isn't far off. Even an accepted offer doesn't necessitate his departure, it would still have to be the right move for him.

To paraphrase a joke:

Prem manager 'Can I buy NM for 1m?

SC: 'No, trot along'

PM: 'Can I buy him for 35m?

SC:'Yes'

PM:'Well now we've established he's for sale, all we're doing is haggling over the price.'

Is this not a paraphrase of Winston Churchill!

We've established what you are madam we are now just haggling over the price...Fantastic!

We've established what you are madam we are now just haggling over the price...Fantastic!

There's a story you've probably already heard, which is widely -- though perhaps apocryphally -- attributed to George Bernard Shaw*:

A certain gentleman inquired of a lady whether she would be willing to sleep with him for 50,000 pounds. After some hesitation, the lady replied that she supposed she would, in consideration of the magnitude of the offer. Then he asked whether she would sleep with him for twopence.
"Certainly not," she responded with indignation. "Just what kind of lady do you think I am?"

"Madam, I believe we have already established that," he remarked calmly. "Now we are just haggling over the price."

George Bernard Shaw I believe.

The Churchill one was something like:

Lady Astor: If I were your wife I would poison your coffee.

Churchill: Lady, were I your husband I would gladly drink it.

George Bernard Shaw I believe.

The Churchill one was something like:

Lady Astor: If I were your wife I would poison your coffee.

Churchill: Lady, were I your husband I would gladly drink it.

Another Churchill one

Bessie Braddock to Churchill "Winston, your drunk!"

Churchill: "Bessie, you're ugly, and tomorrow morning I shall be sober"

I noticed this on the in the Gossip section of the BBC Sport news website:

Tottenham are preparing an improved £8m offer for Ipswich's England Under-17 international Connor Wickham (Full story: Daily Mail)

Lots has been said on this thread about the likely market value of Nicky Maynard. Some have poured scorn on suggested values of £6-10m but when you read stories like this it does make you think that actually, his market value really could be of that order.

The link to the Mail story is here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1285053/Spurs-try-8m-Ipswich-wonderkid-Connor-Wickham.html#ixzz0qIp8pDHd

Archived