IGNORED

We May Struggle To Keep Maynard...

Guest Parson St Station

Guest Parson St Station

West Ham, Fulham and Blackburn chase Bristol City hot shot

Published 23:00 16/06/10 By James Nursey

Recommend

Bristol City hot-shot Nicky Maynard could be heading to the Premier League this summer.

Former Crewe trainee Maynard, 23, is in demand after banging in 21 goals last term.

City have already rejected a recent £3.75million bid from relegated Burnley.

And now the top-flight trio of Fulham, Blackburn and West Ham are all keeping tabs on the marksman.

Maynard has two years left on his contract at Ashton Gate after joining from Crewe in July 2008 for a club-record £2.25m.

Maynard scored 35 goals in 57 appearances for the Alex.

I know its the Mirror but any one of those 3 would surely turn Nickys head. European games, playing with and against some of the worlds best players.We could lose him here boys. :badmood:

Guest oftbc

With him only having having two years left to run on his contract I hope we are now in discussions with him as I don't want to see another Leroy Lita situation where we were forced to take the money or risk losing him a year later for nothing. I also doubt he is one of the highest earners at the club and really he should do so I hope we get this tied up in the near future.

West Ham, Fulham and Blackburn chase Bristol City hot shot

Published 23:00 16/06/10 By James Nursey

Recommend

Bristol City hot-shot Nicky Maynard could be heading to the Premier League this summer.

Former Crewe trainee Maynard, 23, is in demand after banging in 21 goals last term.

City have already rejected a recent £3.75million bid from relegated Burnley.

And now the top-flight trio of Fulham, Blackburn and West Ham are all keeping tabs on the marksman.

Maynard has two years left on his contract at Ashton Gate after joining from Crewe in July 2008 for a club-record £2.25m.

Maynard scored 35 goals in 57 appearances for the Alex.

I know its the Mirror but any one of those 3 would surely turn Nickys head. European games, playing with and against some of the worlds best players.We could lose him here boys. :badmood:

Well the accuracy of the piece has to be called into question, it refers to a bid from Burnley being turned down, when we know there have been no bids. The names mentioned here have been bandied about elsewhere because they are teams who might buy a decent Championship player. I think this is a piece cobbled together from internet chat on forums like this and the ever reliable football rumours site. I honestly believe I could be a journalist in this electronic era, there seems to be little or no validation for pieces written these days, and once something is printed a couple of times it's added to Wikipedia and that makes it FACT, apparently.

If we get a sufficient bid, he'll be gone- no question. The thing in our favour is that Nicky doesn't seem the type to go agitating for a move, Lita-style. If he does go (and i still don't think he will), he'll go for a price that is good for Bristol City FC

If we get a sufficient bid, he'll be gone- no question. The thing in our favour is that Nicky doesn't seem the type to go agitating for a move, Lita-style. If he does go (and i still don't think he will), he'll go for a price that is good for Bristol City FC

very very surprised if Maynard is here come the start of season,if he is it shows how far this football club has come,coppell will be a huge factor if he stays.

however money talks from city's point of view,and Maynard's pockets will need to be a lot bigger to hold the stash he will get,probably treble what he earns now.

Nicky Maynard will be here come start of the season, I guarntee

I Hope your right,he will be vital alongside a top quality striker if we are going for promotion,as coppello has said we will be in the mix,I believe him to.

We won't struggle to keep him will we?

He'll go for the right price, like most players. Simple as.

Though I can see him going as I don't believe anyone will pay around £6m for him (what should be enough for us to accept).

I hope you are right, but I personally think he'll go for between 4 and 5 million. If that is this summer, promotion next season will be out of the question IMO.

I hope you are right, but I personally think he'll go for between 4 and 5 million. If that is this summer, promotion next season will be out of the question IMO.

I don't think that's enough really. If you take into consideration the 2.25mil we spent + selling on fee + wages and signing on fee we've spent, 4 mil would leave us with little, if any profit. 6.5 to 7 would be more realistic for us to accept. And if Chopra was worth 5, then Maynard is well worth 6-7mil.

Maynard scored 21 goals, is young, english and has potential. He will be linked with every realistic club i.e. everton, villa, fulham, stoke, newcastle, etc. I'd be more worried if he wasn't being linked with every club.

I don't think that's enough really. If you take into consideration the 2.25mil we spent + selling on fee + wages and signing on fee we've spent, 4 mil would leave us with little, if any profit. 6.5 to 7 would be more realistic for us to accept. And if Chopra was worth 5, then Maynard is well worth 6-7mil.

Maynard scored 21 goals, is young, english and has potential. He will be linked with every realistic club i.e. everton, villa, fulham, stoke, newcastle, etc. I'd be more worried if he wasn't being linked with every club.

Exactly! Nicky will attract interest as in my opinion the boy has a very decent shout of playing for England one day...Rooney and Maynard, nice partnership. (there is a prophecy)

The lad himself obviously knows there is interest but the club is not interested and wont be until something in excess of 5M is put on the table (plus a sell on clause), that would to me signify serious interest and I'm sure Mr. Coppell and Mr Landsdown would then be pushing for 6+ out of whom ever that might be!

My gut instinct is that the club and the player are waiting for bigger clubs than those mentioned (with all due respect) and dont rule out an oversea's offer as the QPR goal among others has been replayed across Europe...

I personally hope and expect Nicky to start the season with us and if he continues to score then we are bound to get offers in the transfer window and then we'll see.

Hypothetically, if Fulham are after him, then Roy Hodgson must rate him. Also, if Hodgson were to leave Fulham and join Liverpool, would Maynard still be in his sights, and if so would he be prepared to pay over the odds to get his man?

Guest silverfox

I think that any Club paying £5m plus for Nicky now would be taking a bit of a punt.

He is a great finisher, and last season showed that not all his goals have to be spectacular, but I think he needs another season at Championship level to improve his all round game and show he's really worth big money. I feel he isn't yet strong enough on the ball, too easily losing possession in a one on one, also with a worrying tendency to go into a tackle with both feet when he's lost the ball - have drawn my breath a few times when he's done that!

So, hopefully a Prem club won't yet be prepared to part with big money and we'll have the benefit of him for at least one more season, competing in the top 8. And if all goes well, we'll have him with us in a promotion winning side and beyond.

Maynards goal tally was not exceptional, he is a great talent, but he did have a goal famine too at the end of the Johnson reign, which probably cost him his job. No way would I take a punt at £5 mill on someone who hasn't really proved himself as an all round goal scorer YET!!

All this gossip about if he goes and if he does we will not get promotion is rubbish, personally, as that sort of fee would strengthen the squad, however I would like to see at least another season from him at City to really see his worth, as I am sure he would.

£5 million may be enough money to strengthen the squad, but would we have the time to do it, particularly as SC has implied that we probably won't be signing anyone until he has had a good look at the players in training (in July)? Not forgetting of course, that we could never replace Maynard and his goals for that sort of money.

I didn't say it was enough, I just said that it's what I can see him going for.

I personally dont think it would be in his interest to leave us. Hes had one very good season at this level but I dont think think hes up to prem standard yet. He has a top quality manager here who knows what it takes to become a good Premier League striker (hes managed the likes of Ian Wright and Kevin Doyle).

Too many young players unfortunately leave for the prem only to be stuck in the reserves or on the bench bebfore eventually going back down to the Championship or lower where they started off. Footballers seem to think short term rather than long term sadly.

Archived