IGNORED

David James

RedRock

David James is one of very few footballers I respect nowadays..It's not like he needs the money.fingerscrossed.gif

I agree with this - David James seems like one of the most well-rounded players there is these days. I've been saying for a few years that he seems like a decent bloke, and very unlike most footballers. The fact he writes, paints and is involved in a lot of charity work supports this. I guess the fact he's that bit older, is more mature and has grown up considerably make a big difference.

Now, normally when we get linked with big name players nearing the end of their careers, I'd say 'no way' for two reasons; 1) no way do we need to waste our money on someone clearly out for one last pay day, and 2) no way will he come down to Bristol to sign for us. But in this situation, I'm thinking different...

For a start, if he really does love living down in the West Country, what better place to play than us? We're the nearest club to where he lives in the Championship (other than Portsmouth who he's just left). And Bristol would suit his laidback, artistic temprament down to the ground. Plus, he wouldn't need to move house.

I also think, despite the fact he's 40, he's got a couple of years left in him. He's just played in the World Cup, and despite England's failure, one was of the few to come out of it with any credit. He's incredibly fit and looks after himself properly - plus, he's a goalkeeper, and they can go on longer than other players. Also, think what a great benefit it would be for Gerken and Henderson to have him here. I'm sure they'd learn a lot from him.

I also think if anyone can get over the fact they'd be dropping quite a bit of money to come here, I think he can.

It may all be a wind-up, but I'm actually reasonably hopeful about this...

I can't believe people are arguing over whether David James could do a job for us! England's No 1 or Gerks!

I dont think anyone's questioning his ability. Its his wages that are going to be a huge stumbling block.

I just hope people dont get their hopes up too much. All we have done is approached his agent (apparently.)

Edited by City07

Guest Bristol North Red

I really cant wait until the transfer window shuts doing my head all these names being thrown around. Come on people get real David James everyone was saying we cant get David Kitson to much wages etc... i bet James is on double of what he is

I dont think anyone's questioning his ability. Its his wages that are going to be a huge stumbling block.

I just hope people dont get their hopes up too much. All we have done is approached his agent (apparently.)

Well he doesn't NEED the money, so if he want's quality of life in the West Country and less travelling he might be willing to work closer to our budget.

By the way, although the BEP suggests that we have offered a one year deal, this is nowhere near a confirmation that it's true.

:pray::pray::pray: i hope he comes here, just the wages we need to cover :badmood:

but when you think about it we are already 20 mil short of getting a new stadium sooo i dont SL will want to fork out a few more million for a short-term measure :(

April 1st anyone, I just can't figure this one out, why Bristol City? This will not be the biggest coup in our lifetime but in my opinion the biggest coup in the clubs history. And some people had the indecency to make the statement that the Chairman wasn't forthcoming with transfer funds.

Yes this seems a bit far fetched, but................................................David James has always said he does'nt plat football for the Money. He turned down a clause triggered bonus of £2m or £3m at Pompey because they were in administration at the time. On another note he is on £40k(ish) a week at Pompey, would earn (estimation) say £25k a week a Celtic? Surely we could pay half this, £500k signing on fee, offer guarenteed first team football and he (and his family) would not have to move from Devon to Glasgow!!!!??!!!

Don't get me wrong if SC and SL pull this off it would be one of the transfers of the summer and our biggest EVER.

None the less, everything is crossed.

ps. imagine the expertise and guidance he could offer to Gerks and Hendo???? Frightening,

Cheers,

Whites.

Edited by Whites

All we have done is approached his agent (apparently.)

Indeed. Very good point. Of course, this could all be a good bit of publicity for the club on two fronts...

1) Given that we've just missed out on a number of players, this might be being used to show other players out ambition and scope, and to demonstrate that Bristol really is on the map and not far to travel to either

and

2) Given that we've just missed out on a number of players, this might be a good way of showing us fans that the club are working really hard, they've got lots of ambition and that, even though there was no way of signing DJ, we are doing stuff to sign people, thus placating the more volatile members of this forum who panic when we don't hear anything for a couple of days

Just read in the evening post article that Chelsea are also chasing him, no doubt they wont be able to offer him first team football because they have Cech, but they can offer him a great chance to get a Premier league champions medal, and a champions league medal.Would James turn down that great chance and instead sign for us? im not sure

Indeed. Very good point. Of course, this could all be a good bit of publicity for the club on two fronts...

1) Given that we've just missed out on a number of players, this might be being used to show other players out ambition and scope, and to demonstrate that Bristol really is on the map and not far to travel to either

and

2) Given that we've just missed out on a number of players, this might be a good way of showing us fans that the club are working really hard, they've got lots of ambition and that, even though there was no way of signing DJ, we are doing stuff to sign people, thus placating the more volatile members of this forum who panic when we don't hear anything for a couple of days

Of course, we could have missed out on all these players as they've all heard about the idiot cretins we've got on the council!

Just read in the evening post article that Chelsea are also chasing him, no doubt they wont be able to offer him first team football because they have Cech, but they can offer him a great chance to get a Premier league champions medal, and a champions league medal.Would James turn down that great chance and instead sign for us? im not sure

I imagine he'd have to play some games for them to get those medals, which seems pretty unlikely (at least as soon as Cech is fit again...!!)

Whereas we could offer him the prospect of a Championship winners medal... :whistle2:

I imagine he'd have to play some games for them to get those medals, which seems pretty unlikely (at least as soon as Cech is fit again...!!)

Whereas we could offer him the prospect of a Championship winners medal... :whistle2:

The remote prospect, at this time...

...i think his best chance of a medal with us this season is through in the Gloucestershire Cup. But then I would imagine Hendo or Gerks would be more likely to play in that, so that's pretty slim, too...

Guest bristoljames

As a fair few people have said already, some of the jigsaw fits into place.

David James, as people has said before me, is a well respected and a well mannered man. I've seen a couple of Football Focus' bits about James, and his artistic lifestyle. And a very intellegent man. Of course, he's going to sit down and think about all the pro's and con's.

Having played for Liverpool, Villa, West Ham, Pompey, James doesn't need the money. He's got more than enough to retire on. But he hasn't. because he loves to play the game.

Sunderland can offer 2nd choice at best, which means a move from Devon, and possibly a lot more than we can afford. 40-50k

Celtic can offer 1st choice football and possibly the chance of international call-ups, and offer a bit more than us, which means a move from Devon. 20-30k

Or us. Regular first team football, a chance to get on the coaching ladder (Naylor, Hendo and Gerks will learn an awful lot), 10k a week? And no disruption in his private life.

If this does happen, then this will be fantastic news. If it doesn't, then I'm not going to have sleepless nights, but however, most of it fits into place!

Edited by bristoljames

Guest dannyhaynes

im hoping with small journey maybe throw in shirt sales to him as well he might wanna join as money shouldnt be an issue at his age.

Guest Dave Youell

I would imagine that if we offer him 10k a week, he would have a sizeable signing on fee to offset the reduction in wages. (e.g. 1 million signing on fee = an extra 20k per week)

It's down to what he wants from his last move, personally, I would love him to join, but I'm not going to hold my breath. We are the most convienent choice for him, it's down to weather he wants to make one final big money move that will top off his already mass wealth, or if he does want to play the game at a 1st team level on a regular basis.

It shows ambition for us as a club, at least we are trying to make the signings, we have struggled to get anyone high profile at all at the Gate generally, some of which I feel is more down to our location in the country rather than our status as a club, someone like James signing could hopefully turn that tide.

Taken from the F365 forum (from a fan of another Championship club)

"James was at Ashton Gate discussing the move yesterday, has a house in Exeter and is happy to take a pay cut to stay close to his family. Sounds like it might actually happen."

When asked how he knew this....

"Know someone who works at City.

Coppell's not very happy with Stead either, for the reasons mentioned above. All agreed until the wages came into it, and he wouldn't budge"

Guest Big Morg

Martin Fulop looks set to be joining Ipswich which would leave Sunderland with one keeper, Bruce declared an interest in David James so it would appear that James is going to end up at the Stadium Of Light! I think it's safe to say we will not see David James with his incredible afro at Ashton Gate.

I would be happy if he signed but he's 40, really worth breaking the bank for a 40yr old????

Remind me how long Shilton went on and... at the top?

Goalies go on a lot lot longer than outfield players which you know very well.

There is a lot of years left in David James as a result of which i would be a little surprised if he came to us.

Sorry this is not for me. Personally I could not stand the embarrassment. He's nearly a pensioner and as a goalkeeper somewhat of a joke.

As unlikely as this is, I hardly call him either a pensioner or a 'joke' between the sticks.

Of the 500+ Premier league games he's played, how many of them have seen him make a fool of himself? Additionally, are you saying that a sucession of England managers has consistently selected a poor keeper?

As unlikely as this is, I hardly call him either a pensioner or a 'joke' between the sticks.

Of the 500+ Premier league games he's played, how many of them have seen him make a fool of himself? Additionally, are you saying that a sucession of England managers has consistently selected a poor keeper?

Well said.

Yes he has had a few high profile calamities, but no more than any other keeper - he was just unfortunate they were in pretty big games or in front of the cameras.

I remember when Basso first came to City, he was seen as a bit of a joke but he turned out to be a bit of a cult hero.

Also, with David James he seems to be one of the few down to earth footballers who isnt just a money grabbing big time charlie who genuinely loves his football and just wants to keep on playing at this stage in his career.

He has nothing but respect from me and if Bristol City were to get him, it would be a major coup!

Remind me how long Shilton went on and... at the top?

Goalies go on a lot lot longer than outfield players which you know very well.

There is a lot of years left in David James as a result of which i would be a little surprised if he came to us.

Peter Shilton is not a great example:

1 year at the top then he was relegated with Derby.

He then played for Gargoyle in the second division just 34 times in 3 seasons, he played once for Bolton in 94-95 then in 97 ended his career with TOP club Leton Orient.

He then played for Gargoyle in the second division just 34 times in 3 seasons, he played once for Bolton in 94-95 then in 97 ended his career with TOP club Leton Orient.

Plus he ended Cheesleys footballing career :bruce_h4h:

Guest oftbc

If he was 30 or even 35 we would stand no chance of getting him. Even at 40 he is one of the best keepers in this country. At his age and after a long career he wont be motivated by money. It seems he is settled where he is with his family and he wants to get into coaching. We can offer him a top 10 Championship club which can be done in just over a hour from his home and with his experience it would be wise to give him a coaching role as well. We now have Hartley and Trundle off of the wage bill which combined was around 20k pw. Offer him around that and a coaching role and he will be here in a flash imo. The stumbling block I would say would be the length of the contract.

I only hope he signs on the basis I can buy a massive humble pie to share out around some of our more cynical forum mermbers.

Remember I didn't say he definately would sign.. .... just may'be..... so a discussion between the club and an agent/representative would do to justify serving the first course. Enjoy and please take care not to choke on it .

I've seen a lot of circumstancial stuff and yes, I have read that he is looking to spend more time in Devon which tends to rule out Scotland or the pressures of the EPL, but has anybody actually seen any credible evidence that David James is remotely interested in coming here, or even any credible source that states we are interested in offering him a contract ?

Just to add, if he lived near S****horpe would we be laughing at the prospect of their supporters getting excited at him signing for them ?

He is a bit eccentric mind..

Hardly unimpeachable, but they do quote a club official:

Evening Post

Guest City Chuds

Are there people on this forum trying to argue signing David James would be a bad thing? There is probably more chance of me pulling Keira Knightley but if it were to happen id be chuffed as nuts!! Good for SC if he has put a cheeky contract offer his way cant see it happening though

That's the circumstantial bit, where's the credible sources that link him to us ?

I dont think he'll come here - but I definately think there has been contact....

I dont have any credible source - but before this was in the media, I heard that we were in talks on another forum, from someone 'in the know'

sure enough a few days later its on yahoo and in the scottish sun.

But I cant see him signing for little bristol city.

City never comment on transfer speculation, so why have they this time?

From This is Bristol:

A City source today confirmed: "We have been in touch with David James' agent and offered him a one-year deal.

"When we heard he had pulled out of talks with Celtic, we decided to make a move last night.

"We have yet to speak to David James himself and things are still at agent level for now. But we have heard that he wants to remain in the West Country and we are waiting for his agent to come back to us with an answer.

"David James is a free agent and is sure to have a lot of offers but, if location is more important to him than money and status, then we feel we are in with a chance."

Why comment at all?

From This is Bristol:

A City source today confirmed: "We have been in touch with David James' agent and offered him a one-year deal.

"When we heard he had pulled out of talks with Celtic, we decided to make a move last night.

"We have yet to speak to David James himself and things are still at agent level for now. But we have heard that he wants to remain in the West Country and we are waiting for his agent to come back to us with an answer.

"David James is a free agent and is sure to have a lot of offers but, if location is more important to him than money and status, then we feel we are in with a chance."

Why comment at all?

Because we're all getting pretty worried at the strength and depth of the squad with 10 days to go till the opening day...

From This is Bristol:

Why comment at all?

That is strange. Either the Evening Post are talking out their ass or we genuinely believe we have a chance! I'm still perplexed as to why we've spoken on it at all, this is just an incredible scenario.

I beg to differ.

More to the point though, good example or bad, James is about our best national keeper and he certainly looked a heck a lot more assured in front of the sticks than the fella who let the ball in.

if he is not good enough, you may say, then fine but he is about the best we have got and in my humble opinion would be a superb signing and do a sterling job.

David James in Goal for the City would be massive. Mr Gerkin and Mr Henderson would have the opportunity to work with a guy who has set the record for premier League appearances and make no mistake that figure is not an accident.

The confidence of having a player of that stature playing behind you will work wonders for the back four and will permiate throughout the team. If we even have half a chance of signing the fellow we have got to give it a go...Mind I'll be bloody amazed if he does come here! :fingerscrossed:

Edited by REDOXO

It seems to me that the EP has taken the rumour and "developed it" a bit.

I'd agree you with if it wasn't for the quote. I can't see the EP printing a direct quote like that unless their 'City source' had the authority to make such definitive statements.

David James in Goal for the City would be massive. Mr Gerkin and Mr Henderson would have the opportunity to work with a guy who has set the record for premier League appearances and make no mistake that figure is not an accident.

The confidence of having a player of that stature playing behind you will work wonders for the back four and will permiate throughout the team. If we even have half a chance of signing the fellow we have got to give it a go...Mind I'll be bloody amazed if he does come here! :fingerscrossed:

excellent point, with James in not only will it improve our team greatly, but the advice he can pass onto Deano/Hendo, and the whole team, would be amazing

Guest i remember dickie rooks

excellent point, with James in not only will it improve our team greatly, but the advice he can pass onto Deano/Hendo, and the whole team, would be amazin

Agree.

Also, has anyone got a link to our FA cup replay with Portsmouth?

Take a look at his save from Elliot's header.

Not too bad for a pensioner and joke

Guest Stoke Gifford Red

Boooooooooo! Don't spoil the fun kill joy. He is signing for city.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/07/28/2046031/england-goalkeeper-david-james-set-for-bristol-city-switch

this was released at 6pm tonight..

also it was on wikipedia this afternoon that David james was favouring a move to championship side Bristol City as it was nearer to his home in exeter.. but now its been removed? (strange)

http://www.goal.com/...tol-city-switch

this was released at 6pm tonight..

also it was on wikipedia this afternoon that David james was favouring a move to championship side Bristol City as it was nearer to his home in exeter.. but now its been removed? (strange)

I would laugh so hard I would wee myself if he signed. I would find it funny as hell. Don't know why though cos I think he would be a great signing.

Guest Mclovin BS14

I would laugh so hard I would wee myself if he signed. I would find it funny as hell. Don't know why though cos I think he would be a great signing.

So would i mate i just can't imagine david james ( England's number 1) in a city shirt.

Not only would it be a good signing, but it would be a major statement when it comes to attracting other players. I would also probably laugh so hard something unexpected may happen in the bladder department!

Edited by Roger Red Hat

I too would love to see this happen but I'm afraid it wouldn't be wee escaping from genitlal but ........

Well you get the point.

Guest Stoke Gifford Red

So would i mate i just can't imagine david james ( England's number 1) in a city shirt.

[/quote

i know alot of people are sceptical about this rumour but i have a feeling its got legs... if it doesnt its been fun dreaming it may come true (adds a bit of 'imagine if' excitement)