IGNORED

David James

RedRock

My brother lives In Scotland, and texted me this morning to advise that the "Scottish Sun" were reporting that Celtic talks were on hold, whilst championship Bristol City spoke with David James.

Appaerently, Celtic are pretty confident of getting his signature...............

It would be a reality check if those Irish ****ers were beaten to his signature by "Backwater City" :englandsmile4wf:

I beg to differ.

More to the point though, good example or bad, James is about our best national keeper and he certainly looked a heck a lot more assured in front of the sticks than the fella who let the ball in.

if he is not good enough, you may say(I didnt), then fine but he is about the best we have got and in my humble opinion would be a superb signing and do a sterling job.agreed

Another attention seeker I am afraid. :disapointed2se:

I just do not understand some people, especially those who should know better.

BCAGFC

... many candidates, but the prize for being the most-out-of-touch and pompous poster of the week goes to......

Ok, a very small chance he would sign, but did I say he would? Remember, 'may be, just may be'.

Lovin it ... no wonder most of the quality posters have fled this site.

Guest Mclovin BS14

My brother lives In Scotland, and texted me this morning to advise that the "Scottish Sun" were reporting that Celtic talks were on hold, whilst championship Bristol City spoke with David James.

Appaerently, Celtic are pretty confident of getting his signature...............

It would be a reality check if those Irish ****ers were beaten to his signature by "Backwater City" :englandsmile4wf:

james doesnt want to go to scotland tho because of family reasons, you know the more im reading this the more im starting to believe it.

David James Bristol city's number one :dancing6:

Guest silverfox

Right.

I'm just off to Planet Zog.

Stroudy, if it happens, please laugh long and loud enough for me to hear and I'll be on the next Shuttle back.

Right.

I'm just off to Planet Zog.

Stroudy, if it happens, please laugh long and loud enough for me to hear and I'll be on the next Shuttle back.

No probs at all. I shall do!

Guest bunners2006

This would be the steal of the year in my opinion, and snubbing Celtic for us they will feel SICK if it comes off, come on calamity disapointed2se.gifI mean Big Jamo worship2.gif

This is effing brilliant, fair play to the club for having the balls to approach old Jamo. If this happens it would be bloody unbelievable.

Funny thing is though a keeper of his class wouldnt really make much difference, we need a LB, RB, central def, another attacking midfielder, and a striker well before we need a new keeper.

Take it then this also means steve doesnt rate Gerks or Henderson?

Edited by reddogkev

I wouldn't say that. David James is one of those players that you go for regardless of whether you need a player in that position.

Totally agree. The roy of the rovers scenario as GJ used to put it. If you have a chance you bring them in. His knowledge will be a superb asset for Hendo and Gerks no doubt about it.

This is effing brilliant, fair play to the club for having the balls to approach old Jamo. If this happens it would be bloody unbelievable.

Funny thing is though a keeper of his class wouldnt really make much difference, we need a LB, RB, central def, another attacking midfielder, and a striker well before we need a new keeper.

Take it then this also means steve doesnt rate Gerks or Henderson?

Above David James? Nahhhhh

He may not make a massive difference, but with Englands world cup no.1 here, it could attract alot more players that we do need :city:

Edited by Atticus

I wouldn't say that. David James is one of those players that you go for regardless of whether you need a player in that position.

I'm not so sure, i'd rather see his salary go toward a top striker (for this level)

But I admit it does act as an eye opener for other players as to our intentions....

I am amazed that people actually think this is true.

I am amazed that people actually want it to be.

Let's blow our wage budget on an ageing keeper. It's no good raising our profile for potential signings if we have no money left to sign them.

Not a fan of this one I'm afraid.

Let's blow our wage budget on an ageing keeper. It's no good raising our profile for potential signings if we have no money left to sign them.

so you wouldnt sign englands number 1 choice for the world cup. he would do more than just play think how much gerks and hendo could learn from him.

it also shows our ambition as a club.

an ageing keeper who only a month ago was englands number 1, knocking 40 so will either be looking for one last big payday or maybe something more local with a few coaching badges and a eye on a longterm future in the game, haha ! see im getting sucked into this, i really cant see it but if it did happen i would be very happy indeed.

so you wouldnt sign englands number 1 choice for the world cup. he would do more than just play think how much gerks and hendo could learn from him.

it also shows our ambition as a club.

I appreciate all of that, but David James is not going to come cheap. Although I would like to see a new keeper, I think that other positions are a greater priority at the moment. If we are going to have a 'flagship' signing (which is by no means essential), I would rather it be an outfield one.

First of all i doubt you are party to what deal might be on the table so we cannot say any budget would be 'blown'.

Secondly, i think you are being disingenuous by suggesting as such and going on to say the pot would then be empty. Do you truly believe the powers that be at BCFC are that stupid?

Thirdly, whatever deal might be offered will be disproportionately offset by increased attendances and merchandise sales which would undoubtedly follow.

In short, it might very well make commercial sense to pay DJ considerably more either in salary, signing on fees or bonuses plus the dovetailing in of a future coaching role in order to realise a whole lot more. Or, put another way, the package can, in this scenario, be greater than the sum of its parts.

I salute City for making what clearly is an audacious bid. Will it come off?... the odds may be narrowing but we can only assume we are outsiders until we hear otherwise.

Big no from me. He will cost far too much of our playing budget, and we have far more pressing needs in the team. These 'Big Name Signs For Small Club on Huge Wages' stories nearly always end in disaster.

Benefits - Unhappy dressing room due to wage disparity? Will it be anything other than a short-term boost? Will it attract players to the Club or the potential wages?

Edited by Chappers

First of all i doubt you are party to what deal might be on the table so we cannot say any budget would be 'blown'.

Secondly, i think you are being disingenuous by suggesting as such and going on to say the pot would then be empty. Do you truly believe the powers that be at BCFC are that stupid?

Thirdly, whatever deal might be offered will be disproportionately offset by increased attendances and merchandise sales which would undoubtedly follow.

In short, it might very well make commercial sense to pay DJ considerably more either in salary, signing on fees or bonuses plus the dovetailing in of a future coaching role in order to realise a whole lot more. Or, put another way, the package can, in this scenario, be greater than the sum of its parts.

I salute City for making what clearly is an audacious bid. Will it come off?... the odds may be narrowing but we can only assume we are outsiders until we hear otherwise.

Exactly - a bit like when Ian Wright signed for Burnley a few years ago.

If what you are suggesting is true, and we can sign David James and still strengthen the areas of the squad that are in most need, then fair enough.

Reading between the lines, we seem to be having trouble signing players (for whatever reason). I just worry that this may be a case of one big-name signing to draw attention away from this.

I may indeed be wrong and I hope that I am.

Big no from me. He will cost far too much of our playing budget, and we have far more pressing needs in the team. These 'Big Name Signs For Small Club on Huge Wages' stories nearly always end in disaster.

Benefits - Unhappy dressing room due to wage disparity? Will it be anything other than a short-term boost? Will it attract players to the Club or the potential wages?

My point exactly.

If what you are suggesting is true, and we can sign David James and still strengthen the areas of the squad that are in most need, then fair enough.

Reading between the lines, we seem to be having trouble signing players (for whatever reason). I just worry that this may be a case of one big-name signing to draw attention away from this.

I may indeed be wrong and I hope that I am.

I hope you are wrong as well and i think and repeat again, City are far more sophisticated in their strategy than i think a lot of people give them credit for.

One can only hope Braga finish the job against Celtic next week after beating them tonight in the first leg 3-0; i.e. Celtic will not be able to sell Champions League football to DJ. I suppose there is always Fulham!

p.s. having said that i rarely like to see a British club going out of a Euro tourneo... maybe this is the first time.

This isn't some ******** like Lee Trundle or Marcus Stewart though, this is England's no. 1 goalkeeper. Do you think the players would be that pissed off that he was earning more than them?

i think it would also be very wrong to assume that he would be on significantly higher wages than the rest of the squad. I don't believe that is how we work.

Anyway, it's not going to happen in my opinion. He'll turn us down.

Guest MC Risk

This isn't some ******** like Lee Trundle or Marcus Stewart though, this is England's no. 1 goalkeeper. Do you think the players would be that pissed off that he was earning more than them?

i think it would also be very wrong to assume that he would be on significantly higher wages than the rest of the squad. I don't believe that is how we work.

Chappers i have posted something similar on another thread entitled "new players coming in" i asked whate everyone thinks would be a good offer and suggested 20k p/w and a coaching role, i also agree that the rest of the asquad surely wouldnt be pissed off he has over 400 prem apps under his belt and is the current england no1, i cant see a problem with morale if we by any miracle happen to get him

He's probably at home right now with his new 'childhood sweetheart' wife which is a beautiful story in itself and she is saying to him.. 'so you are going off on tuesday morning, catching a flight from exeter to Glasgow or London and not be back until sunday morning.... or, you could be back here every night cuddling up with me after a 50 minute drive back down the M5. How can he say NO to that?.. come on David, do it for your wife, you know it makes sense :)

Guest silverfox

Beat me to it. Agree 100%.

Chappers i have posted something similar on another thread entitled "new players coming in" i asked whate everyone thinks would be a good offer and suggested 20k p/w and a coaching role, i also agree that the rest of the asquad surely wouldnt be pissed off he has over 400 prem apps under his belt and is the current england no1, i cant see a problem with morale if we by any miracle happen to get him

City don't pay a basic above £10k/pw as far as I know. I can't see us offering anything like double that. James will be offered a large signing on fee and coupled with our location, Coppell will be hoping he'll come.

Although I may not have put it exactly the same way....I agree with your first sentence 100%

Secondly I agree further on a free he would probably be looking for a signing on fee...This could be up to and over 1M sterling, however the potential season ticket and merchanise sales could be huge if you market the thing properly.

Thirdly yep you are probably right their too!:fingerscrossed:

Still we can dream a little cant we?

I've seen James out and about in Exeter a few times over the past few years. Obviously really likes the area. Still I'm siding with caution for now. Seems far to good to be true.

I really cant get my head around this rumour! I think it would be fantastic for Gerks and Hendo to have him at the club, also i feel he would be a big presence in the side and give a lot of confidence to some of the younger players. What a signing this could be! :city:

Guest BcfcAdie

If the rumours are true then i will welcome him to AG with open arms what a signing it will be gerks and hendo can learn a lot from him maybe if true thats why coppell has gone for him to help the 2 with their game

Fingers crossed the truth will be out soon !!!

Edited by BcfcAdie

Guest ashley (city's no1 fan)

Talksport now saying he is coming here, they said his last game was against Germany in the world cup for England and his next game will be for Bristol City against Millwall at Ashton Gate. *laugh*

Guest terjon

according to sky transfer centre, Sunderland are now interested, their keeper is injured, Bruce in for David James, so i guess he won't be coming here after all.

Adams twitter:

SC on James reports: "I can neither confirm or deny. I don't deal in speculation. That goes for any player we're linked with." #BristolCity

Yep, just saw that via the Twitter feed on the OTIB toolbar ... his refusal to comment (the party line we've come to expect) makes the quote on This is Bristol even more peculiar. Did someone from the club speak out of line? Was it a deliberate unattributed leak? With what aim? Curious.

according to sky transfer centre, Sunderland are now interested, their keeper is injured, Bruce in for David James, so i guess he won't be coming here after all.

But Sunderland is not greatly different to Glasgow in terms of time and distance etc in being away from home in Exeter. Plus it would be a stop gap measure and a short term deal according to Bruce. If he were to go to Sunderland he just as well have taken the Celtic offer as at least it was gauranteed 1st team football.

As with lots of players atm James will be weighing all offers up before commiting anything. Not massive movement yet in the market but can see that all changing in the next few days for a lot off clubs and players. I would imagine a lot of irons in a lot of fires for most teams looking to add players that will either come to fruition or fail by the start of next week.

Not sure it wil happen, if Fulham can offer 1st team premier leauge football and still a short commute

Fulham are resigned to losing Australia keeper Mark Schwarzer to Arsenal, who are expected to follow up an initial bid of £2 million with an improved offer as they prepare to bid farewell to Osasuna-bound Manuel Almunia.

The Cottagers are lining up James as a potential replacement should Schwarzer move on

I don't know who James will end up with, but I bet he wont sign for anyone befopre the end of this week of this story from the Express is anything to go by!

Portsmouth face the prospect of paying out more than £500,000 in wages at the end of the week to players no longer at the club. David James will pick up about £140,000 - if he does not sign for anyone else before Saturday night.

Guest bunners2006

I thought Arsenal where going to sign the italian second choice keeper Moretti I think he's called, so surely schwarzer will stay at fulham.

Not sure it wil happen, if Fulham can offer 1st team premier leauge football and still a short commute

Fulham are resigned to losing Australia keeper Mark Schwarzer to Arsenal, who are expected to follow up an initial bid of £2 million with an improved offer as they prepare to bid farewell to Osasuna-bound Manuel Almunia.

The Cottagers are lining up James as a potential replacement should Schwarzer move on

Yes, I was rather hoping that Schwarzer was the "International goalkeeper"" rumoured about to join CITY - still James signing can't be bad .

Guest terjon

Positive as ever.

Play the game, enjoy the ride whilst it lasts.

i don;t live in cloud coo koo land mate,

its on sky sports.

DREAMER

Quote from Steve Bruce below.

I'll think you will find Mr Bruce that he has much better options in the west country!!!

If Bruce and James are keeping their options open this one will roll on for a week or so yet...

However, Sunderland could be about to make their move, with Bruce ready to offer the former Liverpool and West Ham man a short-term deal.

"James could be somebody that we're interested in because of the problem with Gordon," said the Black Cats boss.

"We had had a conversation with David's representatives and I'll make my mind up in the next week or so.

"It's something I didn't want to happen because I was very happy with Craig Gordon and how he did last year.

"David James has talked to Celtic, which we always knew he was going to do.

"I don't think he is trying to play one off against the other. He is just keeping his options open at the moment, but we're still hopeful something will happen."

i don;t live in cloud coo koo land mate,

its on sky sports.

DREAMER

Firstly it being on sky sports naff all as the James signing for us story was also on there!

Secondly and most importantly I am not a dreamer as I don't believe for one second that he will sign for us, however I do enjoy the positivity and hope that this POTENTIAL signing is bringing to our club and forum in what has been a pretty bad week off the field.

Our club needs all the positivity and support it can at the moment, your constant negativity is getting annoying, another one on ignore!!!!