IGNORED

David James

RedRock

Guest Banksy

i haven't commented on this thread for the last nine pages because quite simply im in total shock at how far our club has come under steve lansdown, gary johnson and now steve coppell to even be discussing terms with a player of james' calibre is brilliant and shows our ambitions and if he signed he may be able to help those ambitions become reality. anyway i hope its true and will be eagerly awaiting any news tomorrow

Bit harsh especially given your last sentence.

Anyway, I can't see him signing for us - but IF he does the Sunderland lads reckon it won't be until Sunday as he has some sort of payout (140k) from Pompey if he's still without a club by 31st July. Not sure how true that is, but James isn't the sort to screw Pompey anyway.

No deal will go through until early next week cos, as you rightly state, he will pick up £140k from Pompey on Saturday first. Still think we're in pole position, as ridiculous as it sounds though.

Guest Banksy

Unless Lansdown is shrewd enough to offer say a £200,000 signing on fee to secure his signature tomorrow, that way it means we get the man we want and it means he gets 60k more than he would get off Pompey. Just call it a cherry on top ;)

would be a very good move to do so to secure his signature

Unless Lansdown is shrewd enough to offer say a £200,000 signing on fee to secure his signature tomorrow, that way it means we get the man we want and it means he gets 60k more than he would get off Pompey. Just call it a cherry on top ;)

He would get a signing on fee anyway. He wanted the Manager's job at Pompey otherwise he might have waived what he is owed I suspect.

No deal will go through until early next week cos, as you rightly state, he will pick up £140k from Pompey on Saturday first. Still think we're in pole position, as ridiculous as it sounds though.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/04/david-james-portsmouth-contract

Doesn't sound like a person who would take money off a club in financial trouble.

Guest Frome Red

With sparky landing the fulham job, James will be a target for mr Hughes!

Let's hope not!

fulham already have a top keeper !

Guest Red Wardy

Had lunch in Southampton today with an Old Mate. He is a well respected BBC Solent Journalist and thinks we have landed an absolute gem in Coppell (He covered Reading). He also thought we had a very good chance of landing James - somebody he has interviewed many many many times. Apparently Plymouth (My Mate's Team) were always going to sign him....until they got relegated. City suddenly become the obvious choice.

Guest Bristoliain

Has no one photoshopped a mock up pic of DJ in a city shirt yet?

Why bother, by Monday it'll be real.

Hopefully:fingerscrossed:

Bit harsh especially given your last sentence.

Anyway, I can't see him signing for us - but IF he does the Sunderland lads reckon it won't be until Sunday as he has some sort of payout (140k) from Pompey if he's still without a club by 31st July. Not sure how true that is, but James isn't the sort to screw Pompey anyway.

I'd agree, in fact he was due an automatic contract extension at Pompey on account of him playing the required number of games last season, but said it would be "taking the piss" if he claimed it from them.

Never really cared too much about James, until and interview I saw before one of the England games in the world cup. Saying he was an extremely hard trainer (not in a Robert Enke way), and really took mistakes to heart.

Really came across as someone who loved the game, I gained a lot of respect for him from that. Anyway, his love of the game makes me sure of two things... he is going to sign somewhere that he will be gaurenteed matches, and two; if he can be signed somewhere before the end of the month, he will. I really don't think someone as passionate about the game as him would try and put a club closer to being out of business

One of the good guys in football for sure, at least in my opinion; and a great coup for Bristol City, even if he wasn't Englands Number One

I have been following this thread for a while now and my considered opinion is.........

If David is a man that is not just motivated by money and is the kind of person that would like to make a difference then hey....... he is the kind of player that we want.

I can not help but say that some on this forum maybe giving the wrong impression, we should be saying hey David..... you can have your art, you can live in the South West and you can have it all (pretty much) if you come to Bristol City FC

David is a good keeper and those that say he is too old are fools........ none of us live for ever but he is proven quality and would/could make a big difference to a club like us.

Money is not everything though I'm sure you would do alright compared to the majority of us mortals.............. David put something back and be inspired..... it would mean a lot to BRISTOL CITY fans and be good for your soul.

There was a time when big name talents played for lower league clubs in the twilight of their careers (but hey we are second division with ambition) and they brought that little bit of something extra.

You can have all the money in the world........ but you are still gonna die one day........................... make something of all the experience you have bring some extra magic for those around you...... :)

Edited by Dorset_Cider

I have been following this thread for a while now and my considered opinion is.........

If David is a man that is not just motivated by money and is the kind of person that would like to make a difference then hey....... he is the kind of player that we want.

I can not help but say that some on this forum maybe giving the wrong impression, we should be saying hey David..... you can have your art, you can live in the South West and you can have it all (pretty much) if you come to Bristol City FC

David is a good keeper and those that say he is too old are fools........ none of us live for ever but he is proven quality and would/could make a big difference to a club like us.

Money is not everything though I'm sure you would do alright compared to the majority of us mortals.............. David put something back and be inspired..... it would mean a lot to BRISTOL CITY fans and be good for your soul.

There was a time when big name talents played for lower league clubs in the twilight of their careers (but hey we are second division with ambition) and they brought that little bit of something extra.

You can have all the money in the world........ but you are still gonna die one day........................... make something some extra magic for those around you...... :)

nicely put Dorset.

To add; we all recall, surely, how much more self assured England's defence is with DJ behind them. Despite an abysmal world cup by the outfield players one shining light was James. He would have the same impact at City. The players would be that much more confident and that is meant as no disrespect to Gerken or Henderson.

p.s. Beckham just turned down West Ham.. could it be a double swoop!!!

Edited by havanatopia

Guest Frome Red

You can have all the money in the world........ but you are still gonna die one day........................... make something of all the experience you have bring some extra magic for those around you...... :)

Thats Deep ! lets hope he reads it :fingerscrossed:

nicely put Dorset.

To add; we all recall, surely, how much more self assured England's defence is with DJ behind them. Despite an abysmal world cup by the outfield players one shining light was James. He would have the same impact at City. The players would be that much more confident and that is meant as no disrespect to Gerken or Henderson.

p.s. Beckham just turned down West Ham.. could it be a double swoop!!!

It would be a dream......... these players, if correctly motivated, can extend their playing career for all of the right reasons and be inspirational legends.........

why did they ever get into football (?) if it was just for money then we all know that as you get older there is so much more to life :)

i remember him playing his last game for watford before he moved to liverpool, we lost 5-2 if memory serves me right. the bloke was a colossus in goal. still fitter than most players 10 years younger than him, model professional, would be one hell of a signing. the daft hair cuts aside, he's a cut above the rest.

Guest Zyder9

Just a thought to keep this going.......

on Pompey's clauses with James you may remember he waved one that guaranteed him an extension on his current wage if he had played a certain number of game (mentioned above somewhere). I just came across an article but took this part which make me wonder if he's more motivated to sign BEFORE Saturday to save Pomey the payout..... guess we'll just have to wait and see

James is a multi-millionaire who may be quite receptive to the idea of lowering his wage demands. Last season he renounced a clause in his Portsmouth contract which would have guaranteed a one- year extension. "It is true that my own decision was influenced by Portsmouth's financial situation," he said. "I don't want to be a financial burden to the club."

Interesting info about David James. Taken from Wikipedia site.

Personal life

James was brought up in Welwyn Garden City, attending the Sir Frederic Osborn School.[43] He has four children with his former wife Tanya.[44]

In addition to his footballing career, James has gained attention for modelling assignments, first with Giorgio Armani in 1995,[45] and with H&M in 2005.[46] During the 2003 offseason, James was a guest at the training camp of American football team the Miami Dolphins, where he worked out and studied their training and conditioning methods.[47]

[edit] Charity work

In 2005, James visited the south eastern African nation of Malawi to help raise AIDS awareness.[48] He has since set up the David James Foundation in order to help fan producers in Malawi develop more efficient production techniques. The foundation also aims to give teenagers the skills needed to go out and work (for example mechanics and building work). He has recently made connections with West Exe Technology College, Exeter. This college has brought to his attention the Malawian charity, Friends of Mulanje Orphans.[49] The foundation funds the David James Foundation Scholarship at the University of Westminster, which funds a student from Malawi to study for a master's degree at Westminster.[50] The Charity has been supported this year by the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE).[51] James is also a global ambassador to the Special Olympics and works with Access Sport to provide sports provision in deprived areas of the UK.[52]

[edit] Writing

In addition to being an art lover, James writes a regular column for The Observer newspaper, and donates his article pay to charity.[53]

[edit] Environmental

He collects Raleigh Chopper bicycles,[54] and converted his Chrysler 300 diesel estate to run on rapeseed oil.[55]

James quit smoking in 2000 after a 15-year habit that he had started prior to his professional career, which he chronicled in a column for The Guardian on 16 March 2008 after joining Portsmouth's anti-smoking crusade.[

Guest silverfox

I remember the Pompey away game in the F.A cup 2 seasons ago,,,, when he approached the City end, he did get a good reception which shows how many people respect him.

I remember that as well - a great deal more friendly than the reception Carson got from us at The Hawthorns last season, especially as the Baggies were 2 or 3-0 up by the time he got down our end!

David James is highly respected in the game and, well, I think I just might wet myself if he signs up.

I remember the Pompey away game in the F.A cup 2 seasons ago,,,, when he approached the City end, he did get a good reception which shows how many people respect him.

I remember after a pre season friendly against Liverpool, ten (or more) years ago, when he headed towards all the autograph hunters at the enterance to the tunnel in front of the Atyeo stand, then noticed a young severely disabled lad in a wheelchair behind the goal. He went over to the lad and presented him with his gloves.

It was quite touching at the time and something that has always remained in my memory.

i remember him playing his last game for watford before he moved to liverpool, we lost 5-2 if memory serves me right.

Wasn't that the absurd one where the ref took a dislike to players with surname beginning with 'A' and sent off Aizlewood, Atteveld and Allison? I remember Watfords visit to the Gate that season, didn't James spill the ball at the feet of Terry Connor to give us a 1-0 win?

Anyone else really concerned that this is just a rumour that has got way out of control?

Hope it's true but still have my doubts!

i feel the same....

i know that theres no smoke without fire and all that .... but its everywhere now, Sky Sports, BBC, Points West, national press....

if nothing comes of this we're gonna look a bit stupid..... and then it will be, do they really believe they could get someone of that calibre ...

i for one hope its not an out of control rumour as i think it will be amazing for our club......

Guest ashtonphil

I don't really know what that would mean?

Thanks for asking that as I was thinking the same thing.. Guess it means its seen as a certainity.

Remember there's no such thing as a poor bookmaker.. They seem to know

Guest Zyder9

loving this comment from one inbred on the gash site!!!!

"Tbh just think how old he is! And how much he'll cost I would emagine about maybe 5mill just guessing though please correct me if i'm wrong."

WRONG GRAMMAR AND WRONG PRICE PIKEY!!!!!!!

It means they are not willing to take bets on a market like this overnight where they could get really hit by people in the know. Standard practise.

most arkets on any player potentially joining a championship club will be suspended most nights, you are completely right mate. we're not about to sign him tonight i doubt.

most arkets on any player potentially joining a championship club will be suspended most nights, you are completely right mate. we're not about to sign him tonight i doubt.

Yes it will be closed overnight. The same was done for the bets on 'Next Bristol City manager'. Incidentally the lowest price you could get on Coppell before the market closed on that one was 5/6 I believe. So that gives you an idea of the money that has gone on James to come to AG seeing as the price dropped to 1/5!

Imagine this: City take to the field at Ashton Gate prior to kick off and each player takes up their positions. As our keeper jogs over to the goal, tucks his towel and water bottle away then gets focussed on the penalty spot, the Atyeo break into song... 'ohhh Jamo, ohhhhhh Jamo..!!!' to the tune of the famous Basso song...Wow! (please happen).

Right..

...I can bite my lip no more.

I will start by saying that IF David James signs for us I will welcome him with open arms.

...BUT...

...in recent times our Chairman has stated that we should no longer be signing ageing players in need of a last payday, a view that most on here applauded.

Before you all shoot me down, I am of course aware that Mr. James could acquire a far greater wage by going elsewhere.

However, given the players alleged desire to stay in the West Country, I would suggest that he is considering the best (or only) offer that enables him to do such.

Does Mr. James care about Bristol City?

Does he b0110cks!

I agree it will be a great signing on the playing and profile front.

What annoys me is that some people on this forum will happily have a go at any potential signing or existing City player if they deem them to not have the club's interest at heart, yet will overlook the same criticism if a 'big name' is a possible signing.

David James. If you sign, then welcome. Best of luck with City's fickle fans.

:ranting:

Right..

I will start by saying that IF David James signs for us I will welcome him with open arms.

...BUT...

...in recent times our Chairman has stated that we should no longer be signing ageing players in need of a last payday, a view that most on here applauded.

Before you all shoot me down, I am of course aware that Mr. James could acquire a far greater wage by going elsewhere.

However, given the players alleged desire to stay in the West Country, I would suggest that he is considering the best (or only) offer that enables him to do such.

Does he b0110cks!

What annoys me is that some people on this forum will happily have a go at any potential signing or existing City player if they deem them to not have the club's interest at heart, yet will overlook the same criticism if a 'big name' is a possible signing.

As I said last week, Fans treat 'big names' like designer labels.

Great signing if true though.

Right..

...BUT...

Does he b0110cks!

Realistically, most potential signings have no reason to actually care about City (why would they?). Aside from players with connections to a club, players can only gain loyalty through being signed and playing for them surely? If any of us were approached to sign for a club, we wouldn't initially care for them as we are City fans, but you may well gain an affection for the club whilst you are there.

Edited by Will

Realistically, most potential signings have no reason to actually care about City (why would they?). Aside from players with connections to a club, players can only gain loyalty through being signed and playing for them surely? If any of us were approached to sign for a club, we wouldn't initially care for them as we are City fans, but you may well gain an affection for the club whilst you are there.

This is correct. I would imagine and hope that if Mr. James signs and plays for us, he would indeed develop an affection for the club. My argument (or rant, if you like) was against the more hypocritical posters on this forum.