IGNORED

Referees...

Super Scotty Murray

I was absolutely incensed last night when Jon Stead was clearly tugged back in the area and the ref waved play on. It made me think 2 things:

1) If that was ANYWHERE else on the pitch other than the penalty area it would have been a foul.

2) If Jon Stead had dived it would probably have been given a penalty but as he is an honest player who tried to keep going the ref does nothing.

There was also an occassion in the second half where Adamoah cut inside and was blatently obstructed, but tried to keep going, lost the ball and the ref gave nothing.

I just do not understand why refs seem to think a player has to fall on the floor for a foul to be given.

The Portsmouth defenders knew every trick in the book last night, doing just enough to foul the player and get away with it, and it disgusts me that refs are so weak that they don't do anything.

I think the standard of refereeing this season has been appalling, a good honest player getting kicked all over the park in every game (Adamoah) gets no protection at all, it wouldn't surprise me if he had his leg broken soon as it seems fair game to leave your foot in on every tackle (Michael Brown for Portsmouth last night).

I see no other way than our attackers to go down more easily so the refs actually give fouls. I mean, I don't want to encourage that, but what else can we do?!

Guest ashley (city's no1 fan)

Also one of the worst was when I think it was Michael Brown again fouled Albert in our own half, now I don't mean fouled I mean rugby tackled he is decked out on the floor an the ref waves play on for some strange reason and they go up the other end and score it's a disgrace!!!

This has long been the norm.

Seconds before Rooney lashed out and ended any hope of England's continued participation in the World Cup in 2006, he had been blatantly fouled, but he stayed on his feet and tried to keep going. Whoever the Portuguese was who was holding on to him couldn't believe his luck when play continued, I am sure.

If the ref had given the foul it's possible that Rooney would have seen pink rather than red and I wouldn't have had to engineer the most dastardly plan to get Ronaldo addicted to chips.

Remember, this is a ref on FIFA's elite panel and he bottled it becasue the player didn't dive, scream and hold his leg.

No wonder an apparent huge majority of football players are diving mincers nowadays.

I was absolutely incensed last night when Jon Stead was clearly tugged back in the area and the ref waved play on. It made me think 2 things:

1) If that was ANYWHERE else on the pitch other than the penalty area it would have been a foul.

2) If Jon Stead had dived it would probably have been given a penalty but as he is an honest player who tried to keep going the ref does nothing.

There was also an occassion in the second half where Adamoah cut inside and was blatently obstructed, but tried to keep going, lost the ball and the ref gave nothing.

I just do not understand why refs seem to think a player has to fall on the floor for a foul to be given.

The Portsmouth defenders knew every trick in the book last night, doing just enough to foul the player and get away with it, and it disgusts me that refs are so weak that they don't do anything.

I think the standard of refereeing this season has been appalling, a good honest player getting kicked all over the park in every game (Adamoah) gets no protection at all, it wouldn't surprise me if he had his leg broken soon as it seems fair game to leave your foot in on every tackle (Michael Brown for Portsmouth last night).

I see no other way than our attackers to go down more easily so the refs actually give fouls. I mean, I don't want to encourage that, but what else can we do?!

Just seen the Danny Rose 'pen' on BBC news (I was at Pompey but interesting to see it again) - the defender dived in, made contact with Danny - didn't get any of the ball - Danny goes flying to the ground.....

still no pen from the ref

Last night we were just unlucky and got a homer ref - that challenge was a guaranteed pen if it was at the other end , along with aleast one possibly 2 others.

the last minute lunge by Brown was a disgrace - straight red IMO

the Adomah obstruction is a difficult one - the defender clearly blocked him but if Albert goes down it looks like a dive (and the ref would have booked him) so he tried to keep going and ended up almost leapfroging the defender!

CR

It does seem like it's becoming that way. If we would've gone down every time we were fouled or even challenged in the box I'm sure we would've got at least one penalty. What annoys me is that fouls given everywhere else on the pitch are often not given in the area, and that's just plain wrong. The ref was a joke last night, Brown's challenge at the end was a yellow card at minimum and for him not to even give a foul is just astonishing. The fact they then went and scored just rubbed salt into the wounds.

Brown always has been a dirty player, been doing it for years and knows how to get away with it. The tackle on the half way line near the end was so blatent it was almost funny, they then go up the other end and score!

The danny Rose penalty shout was without doubt stone wall, and yes if he would have thrown himself to the floor Drogba style im sure he would have given it.

To be honest im not one to moan about refs but last night he didnt have a clue, fair play to Millen for giving him an ear full at the end.

Archived