IGNORED

Trundle's Fallout With Johnson

Guest Red Onion

Guest Red Onion

''Former Bristol City striker Lee Trundle has revealed his relationship with manager Gary Johnson began to break down thanks to a dispute over him wearing a hat in training.

Trundle has relatively few good words to say about Johnson's management of City in his recently published autobiography''.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/football/Hats-Trundle-recalls-Bristol-City-break/article-2847312-detail/article.html

Guest Red Onion

I loved Trundle so much (not in a gay way) i never forgave Johnson for getting rid of him.

Remember that night match against Plymouth? 0-2 at half time.......

Guest lifelong

Who cares why he left, never really set the place alight did he, or whilst out on loan or even after he left.

I`m more amazed that the e p has printed the word "Pr**k"

Trundle was an overpaid waste who couldn't hack it at championship level with us or Swansea, there were no championship clubs in for him so he went to the LoW to be a big fish in a small pond again,

he scored very few goals and only ever performed when the camreas were on, waste of time

Trundle was an overpaid waste who couldn't hack it at championship level with us or Swansea, there were no championship clubs in for him so he went to the LoW to be a big fish in a small pond again,

he scored very few goals and only ever performed when the camreas were on, waste of time

Very harsh !!

No doubt that Esmonds Million Bung will reckon that Trundle is making it all up.......:rofl2br:

I dont think Ive ever met anyone as bitter, and as twisted, towards a manager, then you.

I wanted GJ to go long before he did, but regardless of how it ended, you cant fault the man for the way he bought this club forward. For the 1 or 2 players that come forward and say bad things about Johnson, im sure there will be 7 or 8 who will come forward and say good things. You notice its only the ones who flop that ever come forward and say bad things dont you?

The thing is Robbo, you come on here with some pretty valid and good opinions, but the sheer disrespect you show/showed to one of our most successful managers in a generation, followed now with this "Millen love in", means no one really gives a toss what you say.

Guest MC Risk

I dont think Ive ever met anyone as bitter, and as twisted, towards a manager, then you.

I wanted GJ to go long before he did, but regardless of how it ended, you cant fault the man for the way he bought this club forward. For the 1 or 2 players that come forward and say bad things about Johnson, im sure there will be 7 or 8 who will come forward and say good things. You notice its only the ones who flop that ever come forward and say bad things dont you?

The thing is Robbo, you come on here with some pretty valid and good opinions, but the sheer disrespect you show/showed to one of our most successful managers in a generation, followed now with this "Millen love in", means no one really gives a toss what you say.

Really?

Really?

As one of his critics I think I can safely say - yes I do think he comes up with some good arguments. In fact the only time I seem to disagree with him completely and not see his point is when GJ name is mentioned.

Really?

he does make a number of good posts actually, but some people can't see beyond his past comments to reply suitably, I agree with some that's he's posted some utter horse crap and I'll call him a **** for it, however he's also made a number of very good posts which if valid I'll back him on it.

Perhaps that's too simple for some?

unfortunately, people refuse to read what he actually says and just class it as crap because it's from him, people slating robbored for his comments re Johnson 5 years later, are just as pathetic he was for holding grudge with Gary after all this time, and that goes for people who are a first time poster or a 10 year mod unfortunately.

As for the Trundle book.....It's on my xmas list with the Christian Roberts book personally! (wonder if it's going cheap on ebay yet?)

As for Trundle himself....people hammer him, but I'm sure those people all enjoyed going to Wembley? after all he was a regular player in our most succesful season in 30 years......so couldn't have been that bad! even if he was badly mismanaged

If the comments made by Trundle are correct, then it just goes to show what a joke this Club is. It sounds like a Sunday league set up, not a Club serious on getting to the Championship.

3 Professional players turning up for training wearing hats? Beanies in cold weather, i can understand...but hats. How the hell can you train seriously in hats.

Then the Petulance of Trundle refusing to remove it...How much were we paying him? What sort of Professional does that?

GJ refusing to play Trundle so as not to pay him a bonus...what the **** is that all about? Are we a professional Club or a friggin part time Club?

Trundle says...The only reason he left Swansea was because GJ would double his money...another money grabber then...and poor judgement on GJ's part. What a farse...no wonder we have so much debt.

Trundle does have a point about all the forwards we have wasted money on though.

Rosenior Senior and Osman were right when they told me this Club was run like a bunch of wannabe Amateurs. Perhaps Coppell thought the same.

What a joke...

If the comments made by Trundle are correct, then it just goes to show what a joke this Club is. It sounds like a Sunday league set up, not a Club serious on getting to the Championship.

3 Professional players turning up for training wearing hats? Beanies in cold weather, i can understand...but hats. How the hell can you train seriously in hats.

Then the Petulance of Trundle refusing to remove it...How much were we paying him? What sort of Professional does that?

GJ refusing to play Trundle so as not to pay him a bonus...what the **** is that all about? Are we a professional Club or a friggin part time Club?

Trundle says...The only reason he left Swansea was because GJ would double his money...another money grabber then...and poor judgement on GJ's part. What a farse...no wonder we have so much debt.

Trundle does have a point about all the forwards we have wasted money on though.

Rosenior Senior and Osman were right when they told me this Club was run like a bunch of wannabe Amateurs. Perhaps Coppell thought the same.

What a joke...

No doubt that Esmonds Million Bung will reckon that Trundle is making it all up.......:rofl2br:

But I do have a question for you ginge, when all of the bullying, bad tactics, bad substitutions, bad signings, bad team selection and appalling coaching was happening under GJ, what was our assistant manager/head coach Teflon Keith doing?, apart from picking up his pay cheque that is.

What a joke...

Say what? Like no-one on here would join another company if they offered double the salary?

Say what? Like no-one on here would join another company if they offered double the salary?

I agree...But why then drop that player against Swansea, when you knew when you signed him, that he loved them and didn't want to leave. Apparantly over an article in a newspaper?... I'm telling you...this is a friggin Joke. And not the first time i've heard of such piss poor decisions at this Club.

How many people think that an employee should be able to say

"Oh shut up you ******* pr*ck"

to their boss and not be dismissed on the spot?

Whatever the aftermath, Trundle was lucky to pick up his pay cheque after that.

I agree with the sentiment. But if your manager is calling you the same, then he deserves that response, regardless of being manager or not. If you treat them like children, then they will behave like children. If you treat people like an adult and with respect, then you will get the same response...if not, you get rid of them.

From what i've heard, it was like a nursery school down their, run by a shouting bully.

Trundle sounds like he did not like being told what to do, he admits he was unhappy about having to defend and prefered to be able to do what he liked on the pitch - You cant get away with that in the championship, I liked Trundle but it seems like he was a pain in the arse, However i admire his honesty when he says he only came for the money, i would do the same!!

Trundle sounds like he did not like being told what to do, he admits he was unhappy about having to defend and prefered to be able to do what he liked on the pitch - You cant get away with that in the championship, I liked Trundle but it seems like he was a pain in the arse, However i admire his honesty when he says he only came for the money, i would do the same!!

Which open's the question that i have been saying for months. At interview stage, why was this not found out?

Gj always said he wanted players who played for the Club. More tosh then?

Guest swanseajack

Lee Trundle - Legend.....and as well as being one of the most gifted players i've seen in a Swansea shirt, possibly only second to Alan Curtis, he's also one of the nicest, most genuine guys in football. Didn't quite work out for him at Ashton Gate, but he didn't have too bad a season in the first one that he was with Bristol City, a few 'Trunds' classic goals there, the 2 against S****horpe, and his goal in your play off semi final against Palace.

Most players come and go, but I can genuinely say that when Lee left us for Bristol City, a large percentage of our fans were heartbroken....it was nice to have him back on loan last season, even though he didn't play for us as much as he should have.

Well done on your win against us at 'The Liberty' last week, you were the better team on the night....I really hope you can string a few results together, and start climbing the league again.

Guest MC Risk

he does make a number of good posts actually, but some people can't see beyond his past comments to reply suitably, I agree with some that's he's posted some utter horse crap and I'll call him a **** for it, however he's also made a number of very good posts which if valid I'll back him on it.

unfortunately, people refuse to read what he actually says and just class it as crap because it's from him, people slating robbored for his comments re Johnson 5 years later, are just as pathetic he was for holding grudge with Gary after all this time, and that goes for people who are a first time poster or a 10 year mod unfortunately.

As for the Trundle book.....It's on my xmas list with the Christian Roberts book personally! (wonder if it's going cheap on ebay yet?)

As for Trundle himself....people hammer him, but I'm sure those people all enjoyed going to Wembley? after all he was a regular player in our most succesful season in 30 years......so couldn't have been that bad! even if he was badly mismanaged

i like your the subtle attempt,

unfortunately i will always recognise good posts and most definately acknowledge where appropriate....but nothing i have read previously has been of a constructive nature,

so thanks for pointing out that we may have a simple element on this forum im sure everyone is delighted with that assesment

Well I would rather have a manager mismanage us to Wembley than one who is looking more likely to mismanage to?....................

But I do have a question for you ginge, when all of the bullying, bad tactics, bad substitutions, bad signings, bad team selection and appalling coaching was happening under GJ, what was our assistant manager/head coach Teflon Keith doing?, apart from picking up his pay cheque that is.

No doubt at all that Millen, being a clever individual spent his time during Johnson's reign of terror keeping his own council as well as keeping his head down. Bear in mind that Millen has/had youngish kids at school in Nailsea and he would not have wanted to disrupt his family life by leaving City. Thats one reason he decided not take on the manages job last season.

One thing he certainly learnt from Johnson was how not to manage. Johnson was/is a nasty piece of work and now they are finding that out at Posh.

No doubt at all that Millen, being a clever individual spent his time during Johnson's reign of terror keeping his own council as well as keeping his head down. Bear in mind that Millen has/had youngish kids at school in Nailsea and he would not have wanted to disrupt his family life by leaving City. Thats one reason he decided not take on the manages job last season.

One thing he certainly learnt from Johnson was how not to manage. Johnson was/is a nasty piece of work and now they are finding that out at Posh.

thanks for finally saying you dont like him. Bit more honest than the lie you posted a little while back saying you did.

cheers liar.

thanks for finally saying you dont like him. Bit more honest than the lie you posted a little while back saying you did.

cheers liar.

Like I said before I liked Johnson as a bloke but didn't like his management style, which as Trundle has said in his book was often unecessarilly critical and sarcastic. A sure way to lose the support of your players. Almost all of the players had him down as a nasty piece of work.

Guest mindjuicer

Robbo, can you post a couple of the reports on GJ's "critical and sarcastic" style? I came to deduce that must be the primary reason for City's decline over the last 2 seasons, in spite of the IMHO much improved squad. Likewise, it would be a reason for why GJ _had_ to go. Such a style often exacerbates players' doubts and would lead to the rollercoaster results we had. Eventually, it turns most players against you.

Well once more ginge thanks for clearing that one up it's exactly what I thought then teflon keith is blameless for any of the bullying, bad tactics, bad substitutions, bad signings, bad team selection and appalling coaching, because he did nothing apart from take a big fat pay check and I now know it to be true because you told us all and as we all know, you know everything that went on. Nice work if you can get it.

I will be honest though I always thought he might have actually done some of the coaching but I know you know best, I suppose you live and learn.

So can now answer the question 'what did he do' during those 4 bleak years, make tea?, take messages?, wash the kit?, clean the changing room?, jig saw puzzles? come on how did he keep himself amused?, I mean 4 years of doing nothing even you would have got bored, still whatever he did he must have looked important every time SL was around, so I suppose that's an important job skill, anyway once more ginge thanks for the insight, by the way keep your head down.

Like I said before I liked Johnson as a bloke but didn't like his management style, which as Trundle has said in his book was often unecessarilly critical and sarcastic. A sure way to lose the support of your players. Almost all of the players had him down as a nasty piece of work.

you like nasty pieces of work?

I guess thats how you manage to look at yourself in the mirror every morning then.

Trundle was one of the best players we had and we used him appallingly.

Playing a guy who has all the skills but little pace as a lone front man asked to chase balls over the top.

Sorry, I am very grateful for the success brought to us in League One by Gary Johnson but the guy could not handle criticism, he could not handle 'name' players and he tore into players in front of others to make himself appear the big man.

He is best suited to sides that have no-name players, workhorses up and down the pitch and who revert often to route one, dour football with no wingmen.

A good mate of mine is mates with Marcus Stewart and the stories I heard from him - which I won't repeat because I don't indulge gossip - showed Johnson up to be the sort of little Hitler he was.

Brought us success, also brought us some of the most tedious, boring football I have seen.

GJ ran his course here no doubt, 99% of all managers have a shelf life in any one job, he worked miracles for the club for 3 seasons that should never be forgotten. Your right he prefers players that will run run and run for him and grind out results rather see some individual create some magic 1 game out of 3. And you can hardly criticise him for that seeing that he propelled the club from bottom 3 of league 1 to wihin 90 minutes of premier league football and 2-3 consecutive top 10 placements in the championship.

His system worked and I agree it was extremely painful to watch most weeks.

Trundle was supposed to be his change of style but he never got to grips how to play someone who was unpredictable and unwilling to run himself into the ground.

you like nasty pieces of work?

I guess thats how you manage to look at yourself in the mirror every morning then.

The players and many of his staff had him down as a nasty piece of work.

He fell out with too many players over his management 'style' which eventually led to his departure from City.

From the info coming out of Peterborough the same could be happening there.

To be fair to Robbored I too heard stories from within that did not reflect well on Johnson. Its a shame because he has undoubted ability to motivate players and build succesful teams, and his witty character endears him to the fans. If he had been able to man-manage certain players and situations better, he would still be here and could have gone down as an absolute legend at Bristol City.

I await with eager anticipation the auto-biographies of Stewart, Basso, Orr and Noble..... and maybe Johnson himself.

EDIT: Robbored - how do you reconcile your comments that you "like Johnson as a bloke" but think "he is a nasty piece of work" ??

He fell out with too many players over his management 'style' which eventually led to his departure from City.

Like it or not, though, there's a fair bit of evidence that that style can work in English football at least up to a point. Tony Pulis is a similar sort of character and he's turned Stoke into a decent Premier League side. Though he failed at City so perhaps they're more tolerant of that sort of thing up there.

There's a bit of a vicious cycle that needs to be broken here. Managers need to trust players and treat them as responsible adults but for that to happen all players must start behaving like them. If a manager's too soft, a la Wilson, the players run riot. Too hard, like Johnson and Pulis, and we end up losing good players through disputes. Hopefully Millen can find some kind of middle ground.

Robbored - how do you reconcile your comments that you "like Johnson as a bloke" but think "he is a nasty piece of work" ??

Read my posts 42 and 48 of this thread.

I did not actually say that I thought Johnson was 'nasty piece of work' but those who were on the end of his 'style' did think that he was/is.

On the occaisions I met Johnson he was sweetness and light, very friendly and amiable and you couldn't help but like him but there was another side to him that was the complete opposite. It was those who worked directly/under him that were on the end of his critical, sarcastic and bullying side, Trundle being just one of them.

Until such time as I get signed up to play for City and have to call someone like GJ boss, my judgement of City managers will be based entirely on results/performances.

Frankly the manager of our club can be a complete b*stard to the players Monday-Friday, for all I care, if that means they go out and win/draw on Saturday and we end up at the right end of the table. 'It's a results business', as they say.

I can't imagine working for someone like Fergie is exactly a laugh a minute so I don't think you can say 'bully boy managers can't handle talent'. Maynard has far more talent than Trundle ever did and seemed perfectly happy playing for GJ, for example.

What I definitely don't want is a return to the cosy club set-up GJ inherited where the players didn't fear/respect managers and constantly underachieved.

Read my posts 42 and 48 of this thread.

I did not actually say that I thought Johnson was 'nasty piece of work' but those who were on the end of his 'style' did think that he was/is.

Post 39 and I quote:

Johnson was/is a nasty piece of work and now they are finding that out at Posh.

Post 39 and I quote:

Johnson was/is a nasty piece of work and now they are finding that out at Posh.

Yeh, and? :dunno:

That comment is based on the reputation he created for himself at City, as you and SC_Red both know.

Just an excuse to take yet another jibe at me.

That comment is based on the reputation he created for himself at City, as you and SC_Red both know.

Robbored my original post started off "To be fair to Robbored" and went on to provide a statement in support of what you are saying. So your "jibe" comment is inaccurate.

I just asked you to reconcile 2 apparently contradictory comments. You said you did not make one of them ("Johnson is a nasty piece of work"), but I have proved you did.

The response above is cringeworthingly politician-like.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit you were wrong.

Is this really necessary Nick? You seem to be an intelligent and an intellectual sort of chap........ and heading for the 'head stuck up his own arse' camp if you're not careful! :farmer:

My first post on this topic was mainly supporting Robbored as I thought it was fair because he takes a lot of stick on here - mostly of his own making - but just also asked him to also explain his contradictions, because that also seemed fair on Johnson.

I dont think anything I've said since is head up own arse stuff, just responding to untruthful replies from Robbored, but anyone reading can make their own minds up. Clearly we will not be receiving the explanation requested anyway.

I won't comment on it any more, I'm more interested in debating other things.

You really are obsessed.

Your the one going round calling people you barely know a nasty piece of work. Bit rich to accuse others of jibes after that.

So GJ is/was a nasty piece of work and for the past 4 years KM has kept his head down (because of his children at school in Nailsea) perhaps his anger issues were due to doing the work of two?, I really think we are getting somewhere now, but as your the one who knows all and was present at all of the most important events over the past 4 years, you'll have the answer i'm sure.

Wages are irrelevant. If you turn up to your place of work and you are mistreated, and not treated equally to others then it can be very easy for that to affect your mood, confidence and subsequently form. I'm on of GJ's biggest fans but I will always feel for Lee Trundle following what happened.

Guest duncan disorderley

Wages are irrelevant. If you turn up to your place of work and you are mistreated, and not treated equally to others then it can be very easy for that to affect your mood, confidence and subsequently form. I'm on of GJ's biggest fans but I will always feel for Lee Trundle following what happened.

I just don't think Trundle was a, professional enough, and b, not ambitious enough.

He got the million pound move and that seemed good enough to him.

Other players maybe more hungry and want to show they are worth much more than that.

Shame really for all sides.

Oh? So exactly how do you know this? Or is this further delusions of grandeur?

Are you Q in disguise?

Of course you have noooooooooooooooo axe to grind. no no no perish the thought

robbored needs to know now?

I thought he could just make it up or be told it and declare it a fact.

You just need to look at couple of the peterboro forums,

Negative football, terrible signings, Johnson constantly blaming players.....oh and the old Johnson classic, shouting abuse at fans and then getting them thrown out.

Many believe it's a matter of time until the chairman gives him the boot.

Last game also chants Of "we want mark McGhee!".

You just need to look at couple of the peterboro forums,

Negative football, terrible signings, Johnson constantly blaming players.....oh and the old Johnson classic, shouting abuse at fans and then getting them thrown out.

Many believe it's a matter of time until the chairman gives him the boot.

Last game also chants Of "we want mark McGhee!".

interested to know do you also agree with RR's latest revelation that for the past 4 years KM has kept his head down (because of his children at school in Nailsea) so basically picking up his pay cheque with no input?

Ah, but I thought you had no interest in the Posh and GJ so why were you looking there to now?

I don't have any particular interest in Posh and GJ but I do read League 1 and 2 pages on BBC Sports. There happened to be a headline about Posh on league 1. Hard to miss.

Archived