IGNORED

We Must Act Now

westonred

Its all very good saying our squad is to big with 36 players and we need to trim it before bringing anyone else in but lets look at the squad in depth.

Six player are in the squad who will never feature in the 1st team for one reason or another Ball, Keohane, Hunt, Hoban, Lennox and G Williams, that now brings the squad down to 30 straight away. Injuries take away another seven players we are unable to use (who knows how long for ?) Nyatanga, Maynard, Stead, Riberio, Rose, Wilson and McAllister and with Hendo out on loan we have only 22 players available to use and thats using two youngsters fresh from the Academy in Jackson and Edwards who in fairness probably arn't up to the job yet and will only be bench warmers.

I know its a gamble and we could be throwing good money away but we need to act NOW and bring in players to help save us from relegation as it will be too late in the summers transfer window if we have already gone down.

C.T.I.D

I completely agree.

Millen has shown he has an eye for a good player. The financial damage if we went down would be far worse than if we make a couple signings now and ship players out in the summer.

Although I dont believe we will go down (Purely because the bottom 3 are worse than us), I dont think its a risk worth taking and we need to get a couple in ASAP.

Millen knows and i'm sure SL does too. Hopefully something will happen this week.

Its all very good saying our squad is to big with 36 players and we need to trim it before bringing anyone else in but lets look at the squad in depth.

Six player are in the squad who will never feature in the 1st team for one reason or another Ball, Keohane, Hunt, Hoban, Lennox and G Williams, that now brings the squad down to 30 straight away. Injuries take away another seven players we are unable to use (who knows how long for ?) Nyatanga, Maynard, Stead, Riberio, Rose, Wilson and McAllister and with Hendo out on loan we have only 22 players available to use and thats using two youngsters fresh from the Academy in Jackson and Edwards who in fairness probably arn't up to the job yet and will only be bench warmers.

I know its a gamble and we could be throwing good money away but we need to act NOW and bring in players to help save us from relegation as it will be too late in the summers transfer window if we have already gone down.

C.T.I.D

It isn't (and never has been) 36 strong, we have 31 players at present, 2 of whom are out on loan.

With regard to Jackson and Edwards, they are second year pros now, the former with 30 plus appearances under his belt at League Two level and if they aren't worth including on the bench by 20 it does beg the question as to why we gave them contracts..

As for Gavin Williams I'm sure if he'd been available yesterday he would have also been on the bench, but along with Hunt we do need to try to move him out on loan if at all possible before the window closes on Feb1, because let's face it, no-one we have left is likely to leave permanently now.

I think there might well be one in possibly by Forest and by the time we play Swansea in a week or so's time I'd expect us to have 2 new faces, though it would help greatly if we could balance that by moving a couple of others out.

The main thing is to ensure that any signings are affordable, will actually improve the side, and are appropriate. We don't want to sign any short-term fixes on long contracts.

Once we have a fully fit squad, I do think that we have sufficient talent to keep us safe, and it may just be that we just look at a loan signing or two to get us through the season, then look at it properly in the summer. With the defence looking better, Stead, Pitman and (Hopefully) Maynard up front, and a 6 point cushion, we should be able to get enough points to survive - That's all we need.

edwards/jackson are still 1st year pros gw picked up a slight knock in training so iam tol that said i dnt no if he will feature much again

No, they are not.

Ball and Lennox are first year pros. Jackson and Edwards are now 20 years old and turned pro the summer before last.

Jackson was a pro in 2009/10 when he played 22 games on loan for Aldershot and 5 for Hereford.

Edwards also had a squad number last season.

edwards/jackson are still 1st year pros gw picked up a slight knock in training so iam tol that said i dnt no if he will feature much again

There both second year pro's both signed first year pro contracts 2009. Seen both in the reserves Edwards certainly loves a tackle, but out of the two i would like to see Jackson given a chance before the end of the season.

One thing I am fairly sure is irritating Steve Lansdown is Millen's repeated remark of blaming his 'inherited' squad.

You can argue how accurate this comment is until the cats come home it's just not a particularly wise remark.

Millen has been at the club over 10 years in some form of management role. It's disingenuous to blame others for his tools, it really is.

One thing I am fairly sure is irritating Steve Lansdown is Millen's repeated remark of blaming his 'inherited' squad.

You can argue how accurate this comment is until the cats come home it's just not a particularly wise remark.

Millen has been at the club over 10 years in some form of management role. It's disingenuous to blame others for his tools, it really is.

I highly doubt Lansdown really cares much about what Millen says in some poxy interview after a match. I would assume that they both talk to each other a little more than that wouldn't you?

As for this thread.. 'We Must Act Now'? Pfft really? Ok we're hardly brilliant at the moment and things certainly need improving but we're 17th and 6 points clear of relegation. Now if I remember rightly, weren't we bottom in October? That's a pretty decent turnaround and whilst there's still a long way to go I really don't get where all this panic is coming from. It's ridiculous. We just need to get the end of the season and build for next year, something which is being done but takes time.

One thing I am fairly sure is irritating Steve Lansdown is Millen's repeated remark of blaming his 'inherited' squad. You can argue how accurate this comment is until the cats come home it's just not a particularly wise remark.

Or SL might actually agree with him ??

Talk to each other a little more than what?

Personally I think SL cares a considerable amount what his manager says in public. I think you seriously underate our chairman's control over the minutae.

Well as in they would actually talk to each other about the situation rather than just go on whatever Millen says in interviews. For example, they have a conversation where Millen says what he wants to do etc and Lansdown agrees or disagrees. I doubt that SL is then going to be judging Keith Millen on what he says in an interview.

You might find it repetitive when he says he inherited a poor squad but it's true and can't be fully sorted out until next season at earliest. It takes time and we've hardly got cash to burn right now. Unless you believe we've got a great squad right now and it's all down to Millen that they aren't performing?

Unless a City fan wins the euro lottery we will not see any players in this window at all unfortunately. KM has to make do with what he was given, and has to do it the best way he can. In my opinion he is doing pretty well with a poor squad, I'll be happy to finish 21st this season, that would feel like a great achievement for us and KM, taking on a squad with no financial backing to bring in new blood. This is definately a season we will have to forget, hopefully we survive in this league. Which I think we will, and re-build this squad in the summer. IF we do survive this season and make some good signings in the summer I honestly believe in 2 years time we will be in that top 6 with a new squad and KM to still be in charge.

Unless a City fan wins the euro lottery we will not see any players in this window at all unfortunately. KM has to make do with what he was given, and has to do it the best way he can. In my opinion he is doing pretty well with a poor squad, I'll be happy to finish 21st this season, that would feel like a great achievement for us and KM, taking on a squad with no financial backing to bring in new blood. This is definately a season we will have to forget, hopefully we survive in this league. Which I think we will, and re-build this squad in the summer. IF we do survive this season and make some good signings in the summer I honestly believe in 2 years time we will be in that top 6 with a new squad and KM to still be in charge.

but hold on a minute - a City fan has already won far more than he'd be likely to on any lottery...that's why SL (for tis he!) is running the club...

...sanctioning the signing of the entire current squad ...hiring the managers who advised him on his purchases...pursuing the stadium...

...unless he sells to someone richer (unlikely imo) City are never going to have any more capital than he already has.

KM only has to make do with what SL's investment has given him. And we have to make do with that and a manager who has got us into a position where "hopefully" we'll survive.

You have to ask why we didn't rebuild LAST summer. The weaknesses in the squad are - and were - obvious.

Guest Bigdave60

C.T.I.D

On the radio yesterday our MANAGER said, he was hopeing to bring in three players on LOAN :fingerscrossed:

Well as in they would actually talk to each other about the situation rather than just go on whatever Millen says in interviews. For example, they have a conversation where Millen says what he wants to do etc and Lansdown agrees or disagrees. I doubt that SL is then going to be judging Keith Millen on what he says in an interview.

You might find it repetitive when he says he inherited a poor squad but it's true and can't be fully sorted out until next season at earliest. It takes time and we've hardly got cash to burn right now. Unless you believe we've got a great squad right now and it's all down to Millen that they aren't performing?

So you are suggesting they talk to each other a lot and therefore, because of that, SL cares little about what Millen says in interviews? You might be right.

Personally, I think going on a bit about an inheritance is not the right way to criticize our league position.

i think you will find he has also said 'I am happy with my squad'. By criticising his 'inheritance' he is also going the right way about undermining the fragile level of confidence.. he should keep these thoughts to himself.

I have said many times he is very inconsistent in his remarks which is totally the wrong way to go about building trust and respect from his players.

his critical views should remain well and truly between him, our chairman and our players. Going public is a big mistake.

I also disagree we have a poor squad; it might be weaker in one or two positions from previous squads in the last 3 seasons but overall this club has invested in new and expensive players. It is significantly down to motivation that we are where we are.. blame that on Johnson, Coppell and/or Millen... but don't blame it on none of them, in part, at all.

'

Or SL might actually agree with him ??

In part he might, you are right, but i still think he would prefer Millen not to go public with those thoughts.

The sooner Millie becomes consistent in what he says publicly the sooner it will positively affect our squad... however small a part that might play, but bit by bit it is undermining.

It's disingenuous to blame others for his tools, it really is.

Not only disingenuine, it's also pointless.

How long can someone go on blaming their predecessor for what they inherited?

If things are wrong, get on with fixing them, whatever it takes - and quick, before it's too late.

"New keeper, new right back, two new centre backs, new defensive midfielder, two new strikers, new right winger, new left winger." That's everything except our 2 most pressing positions - creative midfield and left back.

From what we've got I'd love 2 get James for another year as he's a quality keeper and could be a great addition to future coaching staff, as he's looking to be based in the South West. RW and ST we're definitely sorted for starters, and Skuse and Elliot can cover holding mid. Left mid Rose will only get better and might well be able to get him on the cheap at the end of the season. If Ribs can get fit I'd love 2 see him come thru and make the RB spot his own. CB between Caulker, Carey, Fonts we're def sorted til the end of the season.

I personally don't think we should be rushed into panic buys as we've got enough quality in the squad to keep us up. Def need to move a lot out and get a lot in, but SL is far too sensible to pay over the odds. However if we are going to splash any cash it should be on a decent replacement for Macca and a passing midfielder! I'm certainly not the 1st to say it...

Something ive always wondered is.. In football can you just sack a player. Any other job if someone did as badly as Nicky Hunt they'd be sacked on the spot. So could we sack Hunt?? It'd leave us with Edwards/Skuse/Carey/Ribeiro (when fit) able to play at RB.

Yes.........if we pay up the remaining 18months of his contract

So we may as well let him rot and hope in the next 12 months some wants to take him off us.

Not only disingenuine, it's also pointless.

How long can someone go on blaming their predecessor for what they inherited?

If things are wrong, get on with fixing them, whatever it takes - and quick, before it's too late.

As long as he has rubbish players in his squad signed by previous managers on long and expensive contracts he'll have a point

Easy to say get on with fixing the problem, but what exactly do YOU suggest he does

No money to spend and poor players no one wants.......he's stuffed. Outside our best 12/15 players our squad is rubbish and when you have massive injury issues all season your hands are tied

Lets get things into perspective.We have been meandering merrily along for the road of medioctity for the last 100 years with next to buggerall in the achievements stakes. We are where we are because thats where we want to be. We have found our level...Were happy here. ..We dont want it to change do we?.

This cock up of a season has been on the cards for two-three seasons at least. We have cocked up big time . Millions in debt and no further on and bad judgement made somewhere along the line. SL made a masterstroke getting GJ at the time when in League 1 and the time was right for him to go for the sake of our future progress. (Even at the expense of our club spirit and our status dropping) However I can honestly say I felt the SC appointment was defo the wrong choice for us in my opinion- never liked him as a manager. Out the game too long for my liking. The length of time given to get himself going was detrimental to us and the subseqent departure of him and those crap signings / plus PH ,BO, and NM injury brings us to the here and now. A struggle ,

Can Keit h Act Now? Can we trust Keith and SteveL to get it together and get personnel in who can make the difference on and off the pitch or will it be more of the same?.

Keith has got a glorious opportunity to take this big City club forward . He can be a hero. ..but some of the sound bites I hear and the performances dished out which I witness BTW OMG. He has been at the club long enough to assess every player at the club..bin there for years . He will not need a season and a half to find out about the abilities of his squad . For Keith I dont want to hear about his learning on the job.Inherited squad etc,etc, There are some tough decisions in key areas to be made by him and i want to be sure that he's got the toughest of tough exterior ,mentally right up for the massive task, assertive and not too close to those who are continually selected and those who clearly are not good enough . Keith should be proactive and adding players to the squad who can make the difference NOW while the season is on-even when things appear to be going well -so we can judge them -no more mediocre also rans. He has to be sure everything BCFC and seen to be. and If not stand aside.

Yesterday at Palace was a prime example. They were poor very poor especially in the first half.(Where was Danns exactly????) We were better and we should have beaten them but we battled hard for a 0-0. Marv and Skuse played well but they couldn't unlock a tin of pilchards in my eyes.

Unless we battle in EVERY game and play at our maximum.. if we let the workrate slip we'll get beat. By now our play should have settled down and we should be comfortable in possesion and calling the shots in most games. But we arn/t a comfortable side in possesion after 6 months of trying. Yeah we beat Cardiff.. we did well playing at our maximum but only a blind man would say that Cardiff were a poor team. Their back line had an off day that day. However they are a slick outfit and a have a style of play we should aspire to and look like winners. Can Keith Achieve that for us in the shortest of short term?

I'm a season ticket holder 45 years a fan who busts a gut to watch my team week in week out putting it first and family second like so many I know because Bristol City matters that much to me. I wont say I've seen it all over the years with the City but nothing that happens or not will suprise me anymore. We all live in hope of better days...I'll be at Forest.

Archived