IGNORED

Sack Millen Now Or Wait ?

neilos

Sack (change jobs) Millen now or wait  

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think I want to answer the question, glad it's not my decision. But just wanted to add that 2 clubs (Sheff weds and Brentford) have sacked their managers today. I don't know much about the facts but i guess they must be in similar positions to ourselves. It will be interesting how they progress or not as it's an difficult time for changes to be made.

Guest DaveBCFC

You are spot on on

100% go now or we are relegation fodder,we are bottom of the barrel,lose Saturday he must be shown the door.

2 clubs (Sheff weds and Brentford) have sacked their managers today. I don't know much about the facts but i guess they must be in similar positions to ourselves. It will be interesting how they progress or not as it's an difficult time for changes to be made.

Brentford are 19th in div.1 and have been in terrible form since Christmas, so yes striking similarities to us.

Sheff. Weds are 12th and not threatening the play offs but of course they did absolutely hammer us a few weeks ago.

Bristol City are doing very, very badly indeed but the Chairman seems unconcerned - as for this poll, no vote from me, the die is cast and no change is likely, so it's even less important than usual what we all think.

I didn't put the poll up.

I put the poll up, these things need airing, i am surprised that it's even steven's so far though for sure.

I wasnt keen on Millen in the first place, I don't necessarily want him out of the club but I wanted and everyone else too to see the feelings, how long do you wait

I just don't feel he has the club at the centre of his heart

I am flabbergasted how people can say keep Millen in his job.

Really wonder if some city fans want a return to League 1.

The man is not good enough to keep us up,his tactics,his motivational skills are non existent.

We are in for a very very tight scrap to stay up if he stays in place.

If you had to choose between GJ or KM to keep us up, there is only one answer Gary Johnson.

Fact remains that despite the admittedly dreadful start, since the 3-2 defeat at Cardiff in October we've picked up a points tally that would give us 65 points over the course of a season; it is wrong to ignore the first 11 games, but hopefully we can all agree there were many factors aside from Millen's managerial ability affecting us at that stage.

I put the poll up, these things need airing, i am surprised that it's even steven's so far though for sure.

I wasnt keen on Millen in the first place, I don't necessarily want him out of the club but I wanted and everyone else too to see the feelings, how long do you wait

On that last point I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Difficult poll to answer really, because the time for change has probably passed imo.

If the question was, 'Do you have confidence, after the last 10 performances, that KM has the necessary motivational and tactical qualities necessary to ensure Bristol City's survival in the Championship?' then at this moment it's hard to imagine how anybody could vote yes.

Much too long winded though.whistle.gifyes.gif

Millen has my full backing at present but things could become desperate if we lose saturday.

If we sack him monday morning then who are we going to attract? no one of any stature, as who wants to run the risk of having a relegation on their cv and end up managing a league 1 team needing to make cutbacks? O'driscal wouldnt want it. Hed only come if we were safe as houses.

To be honest, Millen will only be sacked if lansdown had someone in mind who he knows he could get. theres no way he will want to go into the last third of the season blind. that rules out all managers currently at clubs. Whats left is managers out of work, who are out of work for a very good reason, alas their useless or they are waiting for a top job, curbishly, houghton etc.

There is one man that springs to mind though that i believe we would be interested in and he would be interested in us should he be sacked soon. That man is Mad Mick Mcarthy.

He would appeal to landsdown as hes gained a couple of promotions to the promised land and done it with wolves on a budget not too dissimilar to what ours has been. in their promotion year, no player got paid over 10k a week and then only 2 or 3 were on the max.

Should he be sacked at the weekend and we lose against preston, then it wouldnt suprise me one bit if there was a secret meeting between mcarthy and sexstone just to see where he stands. They aint going to exactly be strangers are they with the amount of dealings weve had with wolves over the years.

all ifs and buts of course, but i think we would be a club that suits mcarthy and his record would impress lansdown.

Im not saying we SHOULD be looking at him but i can see everything fitting in all parties decisions.

Millen has my full backing at present but things could become desperate if we lose saturday.

If we sack him monday morning then who are we going to attract? no one of any stature, as who wants to run the risk of having a relegation on their cv and end up managing a league 1 team needing to make cutbacks? O'driscal wouldnt want it. Hed only come if we were safe as houses.

To be honest, Millen will only be sacked if lansdown had someone in mind who he knows he could get. theres no way he will want to go into the last third of the season blind. that rules out all managers currently at clubs. Whats left is managers out of work, who are out of work for a very good reason, alas their useless or they are waiting for a top job, curbishly, houghton etc.

There is one man that springs to mind though that i believe we would be interested in and he would be interested in us should he be sacked soon. That man is Mad Mick Mcarthy.

He would appeal to landsdown as hes gained a couple of promotions to the promised land and done it with wolves on a budget not too dissimilar to what ours has been. in their promotion year, no player got paid over 10k a week and then only 2 or 3 were on the max.

Should he be sacked at the weekend and we lose against preston, then it wouldnt suprise me one bit if there was a secret meeting between mcarthy and sexstone just to see where he stands. They aint going to exactly be strangers are they with the amount of dealings weve had with wolves over the years.

all ifs and buts of course, but i think we would be a club that suits mcarthy and his record would impress lansdown.

Im not saying we SHOULD be looking at him but i can see everything fitting in all parties decisions.

I Hope not. He buys more strikers than anyone i have known to the detriment of the rest of the team. gets them promoted but then they find themselves rudderless; always happens with his teams.

Also, he is ALWAYS moaning about something. Even when he is joking away he is MOANING. he is a proper Moanerrrrrrr. No thanks.

Not a chance.

Chris Hughton or George Burley for me.

And yes I know Burley bombed at Palarse, but who wouldn't have?

Anyway, we're stuck with Millen.

Not a chance.

Hughton in a heart beat but Burley?... worse that McCarthy. he bombed in Scotland too. I think he's past his sell by date now frankly.

Not a chance.

I think Burley has "bombed" several times in the last few years.

As you know I really want KM to make a success of the job,but I stated when GJ was sacked that O Driscoll would be perfect for us.

O D plays the way City fans like there football.

But I'm hopefull that KM can get us playing that way,

Brentford are 19th in div.1 and have been in terrible form since Christmas, so yes striking similarities to us.

Sheff. Weds are 12th and not threatening the play offs but of course they did absolutely hammer us a few weeks ago.

Bristol City are doing very, very badly indeed but the Chairman seems unconcerned - as for this poll, no vote from me, the die is cast and no change is likely, so it's even less important than usual what we all think.

what do you base that on?

Guest belfastrobin

Why is everyone saying its to late for km to be sacked when gj was sacked with only 9 games or so left?? Look what happened after gj left we went on a good run and finished 10th.

<br />I think Burley has &quot;bombed&quot; several times in the last few years.<br />As you know I really want KM to make a success of the job,but I stated when GJ was sacked that O Driscoll would be perfect for us.<br />O D plays the way City fans like there football.<br />But I'm hopefull that KM can get us playing that way,<br />

Blimey PB we are on the same wave length here,SOD would bring football back to AG that we love to watch.I think he would do a cracking job and would be the manager to sort the mess out.

&lt;br /&gt;Why is everyone saying its to late for km to be sacked when gj was sacked with only 9 games or so left?? Look what happened after gj left we went on a good run and finished 10th.&lt;br /&gt;
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;

Well said that man,it needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Why is everyone saying its to late for km to be sacked when gj was sacked with only 9 games or so left?? Look what happened after gj left we went on a good run and finished 10th.

It is a very valid point.

Personally, I am sitting on the fence for a few more games.

and who was that thanks to KEITH MILLEN

He's proven he's capable of doing it and can do it again without doubt, now we are on the verge of having our best defence back, we'll stop conceding, losing skuse is a blow, but the sooner Rose and Maynard are back the better.

Plus Woolford could be the turning point player we needed.

Blimey PB we are on the same wave length here,SOD would bring football back to AG that we love to watch.I think he would do a cracking job and would be the manager to

sort the mess out.

I expect you can remember a lot of people backed us getting O Driscoll at the time. But the majority seemed to want Coppell. Remind me how that turned out!!!!.

I really want KM to succeed, I just think the bloke deserves his chance.

Guest belfastrobin

and who was that thanks to KEITH MILLEN

He's proven he's capable of doing it and can do it again without doubt, now we are on the verge of having our best defence back, we'll stop conceding, losing skuse is a blow, but the sooner Rose and Maynard are back the better.

Plus Woolford could be the turning point player we needed.

Well lets hope he can turn things around starting saturday otherwise km has to go im affraid.

<br />I expect you can remember a lot of people backed us getting O Driscoll at the time. But the majority seemed to want Coppell. Remind me how that turned out!!!!. <br /> I really want KM to succeed, I just think the bloke deserves his chance.

PB remember he has had three quarters of a season,with the squad he inherited ,not to mention the biggest wage bill in city's history he has done nothing to suggest he is the man to take city forward.we have gone sideways from GJ to KM.

We all wanted him to succeed,but we can not afford to let sentiment get in the way here.

Sean O'Driscoll plays negative, boring football. Passing football doesn't mean attractive. Swansea play attractive passing football, SOD's style is hugely overrated.

Yep, that was a really boring 5 they put past us at AG last season. Thank heaven Keith doesn't have us playing boring football like that. Give me an exciting 5 games without a goal any day.:innocent06:

Yep, that was a really boring 5 they put past us at AG last season. Thank heaven Keith doesn't have us playing boring football like that. Give me an exciting 5 games without a goal any day.:innocent06:

We didn't play boring football last season because when we beat West Brom we looked really good. Same logic, still rubbish.

I think Burley has "bombed" several times in the last few years.

As you know I really want KM to make a success of the job,but I stated when GJ was sacked that O Driscoll would be perfect for us.

O D plays the way City fans like there football.

But I'm hopefull that KM can get us playing that way,

Don't get me wrong PB, I would love to see O'Driscoll here. I was only considering out of work managers. Perhaps you are right about Burley, though I seem to recall him being on quite a few 'wish lists' on here in the summer.

I too want to see KM make a success of the job, but he isn't and unfortunately I don't believe that he will.

We didn't play boring football last season because when we beat West Brom we looked really good. Same logic, still rubbish.

I seem to have missed your point. Your view was that Donny are a boring side. I pointed out they were far from that when they thrashed us last season, when they passed us off the field. In the boring stakes Keith could teach O'Driscoll a thing or two I suggest.. I'm not clear what bearing the fact we played well against WBA (a fairly isolated good performance at the time and of course a big game,on TV, and while Gary Johnson was still in charge) on whether or not Donny are boring compared to us though.

The thing is S'OD team are hardly flying at the moment are they. Without looking it up I think they've slipped down to somewhere near us. He's not a big name that players would be in awe of so he may have to bring in his own players, and to get us playing the type of football we crave won't happen over night.

All this would require patience and when reading this forum it's abundantly clear that's one thing the majority don't have!

The thing is S'OD team are hardly flying at the moment are they. Without looking it up I think they've slipped down to somewhere near us. He's not a big name that players would be in awe of so he may have to bring in his own players, and to get us playing the type of football we crave won't happen over night.

All this would require patience and when reading this forum it's abundantly clear that's one thing the majority don't have!

They're midtable. Surviving on gates far smaller than ours.

O'Driscoll has similarities to Millen - quiet, loyal to one club for a long time, came through the ranks - but today (and indeed last summer) has one asset Millen doesn't have...experience. He's learned his trade.

I don't think there's a lack of patience if it's justified...this is Bristol City after all. But we were supposed to be moving forward this season. I think we'd all be patient if we could see any signs of that. Instead we're growing impatient with going backwards.

Spot on rb. That's the real disappointment. When appointing Coppell, SL made it clear of his ambition to get to the PL with a manager who's got the experience to get us there. Then on the day of Coppell's departure and with KM's appointment, that ambition appeared to be realistically smashed showing a distinct lack of ambition. Ever since we've moved backwards. KM may survive for a few seasons but I just can't see us challenging at the top again until we have a more inspirational proven manager at the helm. While I hope not, SL's judgment could well have put City back 2-4 years.

As someone said earlier we do need to learn patience. If someone else came in he'd have the same players with the same shortcomings. What if he loses his first 6 games do we sack him?

I've nothing against O'sriscol, he was my number two choice in the summer, I'm just highlighting the fact that all our problems may not be solved instantly

Spot on rb. That's the real disappointment. When appointing Coppell, SL made it clear of his ambition to get to the PL with a manager who's got the experience to get us there. Then on the day of Coppell's departure and with KM's appointment, that ambition appeared to be realistically smashed showing a distinct lack of ambition. Ever since we've moved backwards. KM may survive for a few seasons but I just can't see us challenging at the top again until we have a more inspirational proven manager at the helm. While I hope not, SL's judgment could well have put City back 2-4 years.

I was chatting to a Derby supporter about this, he reckoned that Millen wouldnt be given as much time as Cloughy and with Cloughy what do you do, how long do you let it play out. They can't give anybody for ever. Like i've said before i've never liked Millen, seems to be about the 50/50 view on here.

Being commited would say stick with him but I just feel it was a bad decision, even if we were in the lower leagues i wouldnt fancy him to be manager.

if the players arent playing for him they arent playing for him, wonder what the team's view of it is, is it because of millen, everyone remembers what happened under johnston at plymouth

bring back jo jordan, terry cooper !

I seem to have missed your point. Your view was that Donny are a boring side. I pointed out they were far from that when they thrashed us last season, when they passed us off the field. In the boring stakes Keith could teach O'Driscoll a thing or two I suggest.. I'm not clear what bearing the fact we played well against WBA (a fairly isolated good performance at the time and of course a big game,on TV, and while Gary Johnson was still in charge) on whether or not Donny are boring compared to us though.

My point was fairly simple. For any team you can pick out one game and say 'they play like this' without any real accuracy, else I could back up my argument with the dull 1-1 we played out at the Keepmoat in August, but it's not based on that.

As someone said earlier we do need to learn patience. If someone else came in he'd have the same players with the same shortcomings. What if he loses his first 6 games do we sack him?

I've nothing against O'sriscol, he was my number two choice in the summer, I'm just highlighting the fact that all our problems may not be solved instantly

And as someone else said earlier when GJ left we had a virtually immediate upturn in fortunes; from looking over our shoulder we were one of the form teams going into the close season.

I have been saying for weeks that it is not the right time to oust Millen but I am gradually coming round to the idea that if such a move became inevitable for Steve Lansdown then it would not, necessarily, be any worse; frankly that would be pretty difficult on current form.

Moreover, how can you and many others keep rolling out that old chestnut about the players not being good enough? ; are you suggesting that after the players that have come in since the day Johnson left us we are now weaker than we were then? Weaker, about the same, or stronger is, anyway, and to a large degree irrelevant; we had and we still have a squad decent enough to be challenging at the right end of the table. How much different is this squad over the one left behind by Coppell when we were one of the favourites to be in the the mix? OK, so that may have been over exuberance by the press but a lot of fans, on here included, bought into that.

So let us assume we were not going to be challenging under Coppell this season; do many feel with the extra players now at the club that we would be doing so badly under Coppell?

The overriding point i am trying to make here is that it is NOT the players who are not good enough to finish a boring mid table, at worst. So, what is the problem then? pretty obvious.

My point was fairly simple. For any team you can pick out one game and say 'they play like this' without any real accuracy, else I could back up my argument with the dull 1-1 we played out at the Keepmoat in August, but it's not based on that.

I see. Fair point though I would still argue that if Keith would encourage our players to focus on keeping possession in the way O'Driscoll does his players, as opposed to hoofing it, we might do a little better. Though of course if anybody passes the ball backwards or sideways in order to keep possession (as Britton did frequently on Tuesday) they are likely to face some stick from some of our fans!

I see. Fair point though I would still argue that if Keith would encourage our players to focus on keeping possession in the way O'Driscoll does his players, as opposed to hoofing it, we might do a little better. Though of course if anybody passes the ball backwards or sideways in order to keep possession (as Britton did frequently on Tuesday) they are likely to face some stick from some of our fans!

It might be more effective, but O'Driscoll has been gifted with the time to graft his team together and has the benefit of being near to some successful clubs to catch their cast-offs - I doubt we would have seen David Healy or Billy Sharp down here with any readiness. That said, SOD's success at this level with Doncaster hasn't set the world alight, and I don't think we're in much of a position to class ourselves as a bigger club than them any more.

Archived