IGNORED

Liam Fontaine

Guest Harito495

Guest Harito495

Liam Fontaine: I think he is a cracking player, great tackling, great head, great postioning (bar the odd mistake last night) but the HUGE thing that lets him down is his distrabution !! its absolutely shocking...pass, pass, pass, pass, liam has the ball HOOOOOOOOF.

I like him alot but I think this is one of our weakest area's someone (I dont care who) needs to teach liam there are other options.

:bruce_h4h:

Guest Harito495

Doesnt need to be good at passing !!, just needs to have the common sense not to hoof it up everytime he gets it !

Doesnt need to be good at passing !!, just needs to have the common sense not to hoof it up everytime he gets it !

hehe I don't blame him for hoofing, every time the defense tried to play it out the midfield gave it away and it came right back at them........ :innocent06:

Liam Fontaine: I think he is a cracking player, great tackling, great head, great postioning (bar the odd mistake last night) but the HUGE thing that lets him down is his distrabution !! its absolutely shocking...pass, pass, pass, pass, liam has the ball HOOOOOOOOF.

I like him alot but I think this is one of our weakest area's someone (I dont care who) needs to teach liam there are other options.

:bruce_h4h:

One of our best defenders. FANTASTIC tackler, the one against Portsmouth first half was top quality, however let himself down last night with stupid rash tackle in first minute when their was no need, if his passing was as good as his tackling, heading and positioning then he'd be in the prem or at a better championship club

Also proving himself to be best option for captain when Carey and Macca are out the team

Guest bcfc_Jamie

Nyatanga's worse! At least fonts' 'hoofs' gives the strikers a chance. Tanga just smacks it down field and 9/10 it ends up in the keepers arms or for a goal kick.

It will always be hoof from the centre backs until they have confidence in the players infront of them.

Didnt see it as often with johno jr in front of them cus they knew he would bring it out and start something. For all of their other qualities, this cannot be said for cisse and elliott. They rarely show for the ball and would rather fight for the second ball after the punt up field. That is suposed to be their personal strengths.

To be honest they are probably told to play this way as millen and all of us can see what the middle is and isnt good at.

Gotta play to our strengths after all.

If only LJ had more of a physical presence ay?

I dont mind fontaine, but im not sure if he is the kind of player you would rely on for a premier league push though? He is game, and committed, but the reason you couldnt play him at left back, which would be ideal is because his distribution is in the same ball park as matt hills when he was with us.

When you think what we have to look forward to in defence next season though, Fontaine is the least of our worries!

Havent posted on here recently but after seeing this post and all the slagging Liam is getting, i felt i had to post as when we went on our 4 game win streak, a massive part of this was down to Liam Fontaine, who has been absolutley class at the back and also shown Carey, Macca and Skuse how a captain should go about his business. Keep it up Liam

Definitely as asset for the club with good attitude and commitment to the Club.He's made a few goal saving perfectly timed tackles this season and is best captain the team have in the absence of Carey. Yes, I hate to see defenders hoof it upfield and concede possession but I think Liam has enough ability on the ball to develop bringing the ball out and passing into his game - he is probably under instructions. Also, we do need one or two players who have been around the place for a few years and have that extra attachment to the Club that long-service brings - like Murray, Carey and Tinnion.

Fontaine is a good Championship defender. Great tackler, good header and positionally aware. His problem, as already pointed out is his inflated opinion of his ability to find a team mate with 60yrd passes. Its simply a waste of posession.

His tendency to hoof it might be down to not being confident with the ball at his feet or simply a desire to get the ball as far away as possible. We've seen Caulker bring the ball out of defence and then play a simple pass but rarely does Fontaine do the same.

Shame because he has plenty of natural ability.

Havent posted on here recently but after seeing this post and all the slagging Liam is getting, i felt i had to post as when we went on our 4 game win streak, a massive part of this was down to Liam Fontaine, who has been absolutley class at the back and also shown Carey, Macca and Skuse how a captain should go about his business. Keep it up Liam

I never want to pi%% on anybody's parade but even during the 4 win streak we were absolute crap apart from Watford.

Coventry - From what I was told we did not even play well at all. Even Millen said we were poor.

S****horpe - Was one of the most boring games of football I'd ever witnessed. Was like watching a pub team game. Two very poor teams.

Portsmouth - Yet again poor. Portsmouth tried to play some good football but we caught them on the break. A draw would of been fair.

Norwich - No need to say anything we all seen it.

Current Squad:

Red = Get Rid

David James - Good keeper

Nicky Hunt - We all know about this guy

Jamie McAllister - Too old and is a lumper

Liam Fontaine - Seems a proper thicko with his head in the clouds

Damion Stewart - Does not seem to fit the bill

Louis Carey - Unfortunately too old now

Marvin Elliot - Waste of space, past his cell by date HAS got to go in the summer

Lee Johnson - Not good enough for NPC

David Clarkson - Not good enough, a few games does not change that

Nicky Maynard - Best striker in the league

Martyn Woolford - Not impressed with this guy so far, seems another dud but I'll give him a chance

Dean Gerken - Do not think he is a good keeper for this league

Cole Skuse - Larry Light Weight, could not hit water if he fell out of a boat

Andy Keogh - Only a loan, but has not seemed that great to me

James Wilson - Needs a chance

Christian Ribeiro - Could be great, injuries hold him back

Jamal Campbell-Ryce - No brain, no pace, no skill... no nothing

Kalifa Cisse - Another dud

Lewin Nyatanga - Another Jamie McCombe

Joe Edwards - Needs a Chance

Marlon Jackson - Did not do a job in League 2, no good for us

Danny Ball - Needs a chance

Joe Lennox - Needs a chance

Albert Adomah - Fantastic winger

Jordan Spence - Needs to play in his CB role, not a RB. Felt a bit sorry for him last night

Patrick Hoban - Needs more time to progress

Jon Stead - Had a great start for us, normally fades away after a great start for a new club, have to watch him

Jimmy Keohane - Needs more time to progess

Brett Pitman - Could be a great striker in this league, we need more of a creative midfield

Steven Caulker - Shame a loan, fantastic defender

Stephen Henderson - Hopefully we keep him, should be number 1 after James is finished with us

John Akinde - Not good enough

Ivan Sproule - Not good enough

We got a 34 man squad, And there are 17 players there who need to go. That's a shocking amount. We have no creation in our side, meaning no chance of having possession. Were hoof ballers and it's embarrasing. Would love to slap all those marked red. If we had more creative midfielders Maynard and Pitman would be having more chances at goal.

As for Millen, I think he will be a great manager for us. Learning his trade of course that's the only downfall for me. But I feel we will have a good future under him as our Manager.

Guest bcfc_Jamie

I never want to pi%% on anybody's parade but even during the 4 win streak we were absolute crap apart from Watford.

Coventry - From what I was told we did not even play well at all. Even Millen said we were poor.

S****horpe - Was one of the most boring games of football I'd ever witnessed. Was like watching a pub team game. Two very poor teams.

Portsmouth - Yet again poor. Portsmouth tried to play some good football but we caught them on the break. A draw would of been fair.

Norwich - No need to say anything we all seen it.

Current Squad:

Red = Get Rid

David James - Good keeper

Nicky Hunt - We all know about this guy

Jamie McAllister - Too old and is a lumper

Liam Fontaine - Seems a proper thicko with his head in the clouds

Damion Stewart - Does not seem to fit the bill

Louis Carey - Unfortunately too old now

Marvin Elliot - Waste of space, past his cell by date HAS got to go in the summer

Lee Johnson - Not good enough for NPC

David Clarkson - Not good enough, a few games does not change that

Nicky Maynard - Best striker in the league

Martyn Woolford - Not impressed with this guy so far, seems another dud but I'll give him a chance

Dean Gerken - Do not think he is a good keeper for this league

Cole Skuse - Larry Light Weight, could not hit water if he fell out of a boat

Andy Keogh - Only a loan, but has not seemed that great to me

James Wilson - Needs a chance

Christian Ribeiro - Could be great, injuries hold him back

Jamal Campbell-Ryce - No brain, no pace, no skill... no nothing

Kalifa Cisse - Another dud

Lewin Nyatanga - Another Jamie McCombe

Joe Edwards - Needs a Chance

Marlon Jackson - Did not do a job in League 2, no good for us

Danny Ball - Needs a chance

Joe Lennox - Needs a chance

Albert Adomah - Fantastic winger

Jordan Spence - Needs to play in his CB role, not a RB. Felt a bit sorry for him last night

Patrick Hoban - Needs more time to progress

Jon Stead - Had a great start for us, normally fades away after a great start for a new club, have to watch him

Jimmy Keohane - Needs more time to progess

Brett Pitman - Could be a great striker in this league, we need more of a creative midfield

Steven Caulker - Shame a loan, fantastic defender

Stephen Henderson - Hopefully we keep him, should be number 1 after James is finished with us

John Akinde - Not good enough

Ivan Sproule - Not good enough

We got a 34 man squad, And there are 17 players there who need to go. That's a shocking amount. We have no creation in our side, meaning no chance of having possession. Were hoof ballers and it's embarrasing. Would love to slap all those marked red. If we had more creative midfielders Maynard and Pitman would be having more chances at goal.

As for Millen, I think he will be a great manager for us. Learning his trade of course that's the only downfall for me. But I feel we will have a good future under him as our Manager.

Don't agree with Macca - our only outlet for se pieces and gives experience to the team.

Fontaine - improving each season don't k ow what youve been watching.

Louis - 1 more year just because I love him.

Marv - best season he's had since he first signed.

Woolord - give the lad a chance!

Skuse - mr versatile will cover literally any position, keep him!

Cisse - been our best player for the past couple of weeks, don't agree that he's a 'dud'

Stewart - improved as the seasons gone on, don't agree that he was dropped s norwich.

Sorry if someone has posted these comments before, but i got bored of reading negative, possibly ill-formed opinions( yes i know everyone has an opinion!). I dont know how many bloody times ive posted this, but for a player to be able to pass a ball 10 yards, he firstly needs an option within 10 yards! Our movement is so dire at times it is unbelievable. This was magnified on monday night in front of the cameras and against a team that did exactly what we didnt, MOVE. So before people start criticising players for doing this and that, maybe they should consider why they have done this or that. As for Fontaine, imo a very good centre half who is actually quite comfortable on the ball.

What scratches is my head is people are saying how immense Fontaine is etc.

So Caulker is an amazing defender, which he is. No arument there

And people are saying Fontaine is an amazing defender?

Well Im putting 2 and 2 together here. People have been complaining about the defense all season. I know it's been tough not having a good LB, or a good RB. But I can think of plenty of times where's goals have come from down the centre etc.

I guess most people here like to see football scrappy with no creation or taste, and perhaps like to see more of a 3-2 type of game rather than a solid 2-0.

What scratches is my head is people are saying how immense Fontaine is etc.

So Caulker is an amazing defender, which he is. No arument there

And people are saying Fontaine is an amazing defender?

Well Im putting 2 and 2 together here. People have been complaining about the defense all season. I know it's been tough not having a good LB, or a good RB. But I can think of plenty of times where's goals have come from down the centre etc.

I guess most people here like to see football scrappy with no creation or taste, and perhaps like to see more of a 3-2 type of game rather than a solid 2-0.

I wouldnt say fontaine is immense, but i also wouldnt say caulker is an amazing defender eiether, a very good defender with great potential and promise, but no more at the moment ( he has been citys best player this season, i voted for him!). Yes there have been times when goals have come down the middle, for one the penalty fontaine conceded on monday, which came directly after caulker not being tight enough to his man and not winning the 1st header! I mention this, not to have digs at caulker, but to emphasise how you can find cracks in most individuals games and performances. But as a collective the one thing we really lack is movement, which in turn would create options and lessen the chances of hoof ball which the original post was about, which in turn highers our possesion stats which another topic discussed earlier this week. As for our defence, im not sure what our goals against is, but i dont think it would be significantly more than a few teams above us?

Now Fontaine might have to have surgery on his ankle next week, if he does that's him out for the season.

I'm in the Fontaine is a useful player camp. Not spectacular but does a decent steady job, much better than Nyatanga and H**t.

One of our best defenders. FANTASTIC tackler, the one against Portsmouth first half was top quality, however let himself down last night with stupid rash tackle in first minute when their was no need, if his passing was as good as his tackling, heading and positioning then he'd be in the prem or at a better championship club

Also proving himself to be best option for captain when Carey and Macca are out the team

Agree with these sentiments (Christ - what's happening to me? I'm agreeing with Donald all the time now!!!)

Some of the posts on this thread truly defy belief.

For me Fontaine is an essential part of our long term future, why?

The reality is this:

Nyatanga and Stewart are both under contract until 2013, Wilson and Ribeiro are both injury prone and totally unproven at Championship level, Carey, if he gets another deal, will be 35 next season and will probably play less and certainly take longer to get over any injuries, the most we can hope for with Caulker is that he doesn't get a better loan offer but that seems highly unlikely to me.

Those are all our other centre back options, nearly all of whom are under contract for 2012 at least and will not attract offers, people need to get out of this football manager mentality that our unwanted players will be taken off our hands, just look how long Hunt has been completely out of the first team picture with not even a sniff of a loan move..

We will need to strengthen at the back, and we also clearly have issues at both full back position, too but we will not be signing an entire new back four this summer, so who else is at the right age (25), has 200+ league games under his belt and is already at the club?

No-one.

This is crazy talk - Liam is a decent player at Championship level.

he's regularly played in a team thats finished in the top 10 of the Championship for 3 seasons running so I think thats fair to say.

amazing how many people think you can do that while carrying a midfielder and a centre half

Is a poor defender... pass accuracy is "down"

tacklings: one good, three bad

speed: no way.. slow player

heading: one part were he is a good player

I think he make for us in defense a "lower level"... we need not just one defender we need certainly a Left Back, and two Central Backs and maybe RB.. but important is LB and two CB...

A creative midlefeder, and we can talk about promotion next season...

I have some friends .. all told me... problem for Bristol City is in defense, and that is the real problem.. .

Who is with me !!! ?

Respect from romania guys :D

Fontaine's distribution is one of his strengths as a centre half IF AND WHEN he has someone available to pass to in front of him. When he doesn't and he's being chased down of course he hoofs it. Better movement he tends to bring the ball out and draw a man and then play it.

Archived