IGNORED

Louis Carey

bs3

This player have played at a consistent high standard for over 500 hundred games for this club including this season .

He is a leader on and off the pitch and as a massive positive influence on the team.

We miss is leadership and his skill and composure and his ability to drive the team forward when he is not in the team.

He puts his body on the line . This player suffered a serious head injury which could of have a long term effect and yet he was playing back in the team a few weeks later when most players their season would have been over yet such his desire and determination is such he is back playing in the team when he could have pit his feet up until next season.

I just wanted to redress the balance of some of the negative comments made .

This player have played at a consistent high standard for over 500 hundred games for this club including this season .

He is a leader on and off the pitch and as a massive positive influence on the team.

We miss is leadership and his skill and composure and his ability to drive the team forward when he is not in the team.

He puts his body on the line . This player suffered a serious head injury which could of have a long term effect and yet he was playing back in the team a few weeks later when most players their season would have been over yet such his desire and determination is such he is back playing in the team when he could have pit his feet up until next season.

Carey is a credit to BCFC and will be around the club for a long time, players like Wilson, Riberio and all the youngs players look up to Carey at City like young players look up to Terry/Giggs at Chelsea/Man U, and with James there as well they have got role models to look up too, Carey is a credit to BCFC and anyone imo with the new contract thing saying why have lack of football knowledge, its not just for him to play. IT'S FOR HIM to guide the younger players through THERE EDUCATION.

We don't know about his influence and whether overall it is positive, negative, or neutral.

He's certainly NOT a leader on the pitch.

Wilson should have played on Monday, it was a terrible decision from KM to play Carey.

Room needs to be made in the squad for Wilson, and others, to forge a career at City.

500+ appearances for Carey prove he has been a great servant to BCFC, no one would deny that, but it's not negative to accept that all good things must come to an end and it's time for a parting of the ways.

Carey is a credit to BCFC and will be around the club for a long time, players like Wilson, Riberio and all the youngs players look up to Carey at City like young players look up to Terry/Giggs at Chelsea/Man U, and with James there as well they have got role models to look up too, Carey is a credit to BCFC and anyone imo with the new contract thing saying why have lack of football knowledge, its not just for him to play. IT'S FOR HIM to guide the younger players through THERE EDUCATION.

That's the job of the coaches Redcliffe, City can't afford to keep veterans like Carey when the stated aim is to reduce the squad.

We don't know about his influence and whether overall it is positive, negative, or neutral.

He's certainly NOT a leader on the pitch.

Wilson should have played on Monday, it was a terrible decision from KM to play Carey.

Room needs to be made in the squad for Wilson, and others, to forge a career at City.

500+ appearances for Carey prove he has been a great servant to BCFC, no one would deny that, but it's not negative to accept that all good things must come to an end and it's time for a parting of the ways.

Pre head injury, he is still a leader at the club, he can still play this level, brought him back to soon, should of ruled him out for the season, parting of the ways is not the way forward he can come in and do a job next season whilst guiding the younger players, no not the first X1 but you need players like him around to bring them through, even though Caulker was that good you might think i am mad i bet they spoke about defending i now he has never played top level but he has played championship top level played 500 games if you can't learn of him as a younger player well give up

I think he is a leader on the pitch Nog bad . He can and do try to take the game by the scruff of the neck from the centre of defence and drives the team forward by driving into the opposition with the ball at his feet and trying to make things happen when our inept midfield should be doing this .

He takes respondabilty and leads by example as well has being very vocal and organising the defence.

Carey is very fit and looks after himself very well, he is a model professional and there is no reason why he can't preform in the championship for the next couple of years.

That's the job of the coaches Redcliffe, City can't afford to keep veterans like Carey when the stated aim is to reduce the squad.

Verterans like Carey you have to keep around the club show the young players how and what they should do, bad buys from previous managers you get rid off.

Pre head injury, he is still a leader at the club, he can still play this level, brought him back to soon, should of ruled him out for the season, parting of the ways is not the way forward he can come in and do a job next season whilst guiding the younger players, no not the first X1 but you need players like him around to bring them through, even though Caulker was that good you might think i am mad i bet they spoke about defending i now he has never played top level but he has played championship top level played 500 games if you can't learn of him as a younger player well give up

Sorry, but the capitulations against Cardiff and Doncaster last season when Carey was anonymous showed me that he is no leader, and having witnessed a number of performances like that nothing anyone can say will persuade me otherwise.

Stewart, Fontaine and Nyatanga should now become the senior pros in defence and guide the likes of Wilson, Ribeiro, Edwards and hopefully Caulker and Spence.

Clubs evolve and move on, players leave when they can no longer command a first team spot- what other club would keep on players in their mid thirties as role models?

You seem to be saying give him a new contract even though he will not feature in the first team often - I can't accept that and BCFC can't afford it.

I think he is a leader on the pitch Nog bad . He can and do try to take the game by the scruff of the neck from the centre of defence and drives the team forward by driving into the opposition with the ball at his feet and trying to make things happen when our inept midfield should be doing this .

He takes respondabilty and leads by example as well has being very vocal and organising the defence.

Carey is very fit and looks after himself very well, he is a model professional and there is no reason why he can't preform in the championship for the next couple of years.

I like his surges forward too, but they are few and far between and getting ever fewer. He did one last Monday that briefly raised the crowd but it didn't mask the fact that his mistakes played a part in all 3 Forest goals.

He is injury prone, he is slowing down and he won't be a first choice in either of his favoured positions.

We'll have a better midfield next season to drive at the opposition - it makes no sense to give a new contract to someone who is unlikely to play 10 games next season when we have so many young defenders champing at the bit for their chance and a stated aim from the club to reduce the squad.

Sorry, but the capitulations against Cardiff and Doncaster last season when Carey was anonymous showed me that he is no leader, and having witnessed a number of performances like that nothing anyone can say will persuade me otherwise.

Stewart, Fontaine and Nyatanga should now become the senior pros in defence and guide the likes of Wilson, Ribeiro, Edwards and hopefully Caulker and Spence.

Clubs evolve and move on, players leave when they can no longer command a first team spot- what other club would keep on players in their mid thirties as role models?

You seem to be saying give him a new contract even though he will not feature in the first team often - I can't accept that and BCFC can't afford it.

Nogbad you have said above "what ever club would keep players in there mid thirties"

Giggs

Scholes

Van Der Sar

Gary Neville

Do you know Scott Murray trains players still at the club

Nogbad you have said above "what ever club would keep players in there mid thirties"

Giggs

Scholes

Van Der Sar

Gary Neville

Do you know Scott Murray trains players still at the club

Three are first team regulars, Neville has gone.

Scott Murray is the perfect example of a player who got an extra contract he didn't deserve, and he hardly played - basically a squad place and year's salary wasted by City.

No more jobs for the boys.

Scott Murray is the perfect example of a player who got an extra contract he didn't deserve, and he hardly played - basically a squad place and year's salary wasted by City.

Sorry Murray coaching young players, he got a contract with Bath (as a player) , but ex players don't help, Carey like Millens's last contract with us to go into coaching as well get rid of him

P.S. Neville is still around the club giving his views

Totally agree, there is no place for sentiment in football and as nice as it would be to keep Carey so he is a ''role model'' for the youngsters, finacially it would be the wrong decision. There are plenty of senior defenders at the club that have the exp to guide the younger ones.

Carey is past it im afraid and it has been evident that this has been the case for a couple of season's now IMO. Great servent to the club and will go down as a BCFC great i am sure but we have to move with the times.

Totally agree, there is no place for sentiment in football and as nice as it would be to keep Carey so he is a ''role model'' for the youngsters, finacially it would be the wrong decision. There are plenty of senior defenders at the club that have the exp to guide the younger ones.

Carey is past it im afraid and it has been evident that this has been the case for a couple of season's now IMO. Great servent to the club and will go down as a BCFC great i am sure but we have to move with the times.

Name me the experienced defenders to guide us through the games and who know the club inside out?

Sorry Murray coaching young players, he got a contract with Bath (as a player) , but ex players don't help, Carey like Millens's last contract with us to go into coaching as well get rid of him

Don't really follow that Redcliffe.

Scott Murray, another very popular and long serving player, was given a contract extension and then spent most of the season at Yeovil. Very little positive influence on the squad at AG then, little more than a hairy goodbye on the final day.

It turned out, fairly predictably, to be a complete waste of money.

Carey could have a final season at Yeovil or Cheltenham and perhaps return to City in a few years if he decides to take up coaching inbetween, and proves to be good at it.

Next season though he would be a mostly non-playing veteran squad member whose influence would be diminished on the sidelines. The squad needs to move on, regroup and see new players take responsibility rather than having a popular old stager hanging around when his useful playing days at this level are surely behind him.

Name me the experienced defenders to guide us through the games and who know the club inside out?

From what i can see we currently have Fontaine, Stewart, Nyatanga, Wilson, and Cisse who IMO are all above Carey in terms of ability. Assuming all those stay and we add another CB to the mix to me it dosnt seem logical to keep a player who unless we have massive injuries is clrealy not going to feature regularly.

Just because he knows the club ''inside out'' dosnt mean he should automatically be offered a new deal. Ask yourself this question, do you honestly think Careys performances over the past 2 season's have been worthy of him to be offered a new deal? Hes not the only one, but seeing as his contract was up anyway it would be the perfect time to get rid and use the money else where. May sound harsh but thats life, he is no longer good enough at this level and the sooner everyone accepts that the better.

From what i can see we currently have Fontaine, Stewart, Nyatanga, Wilson, and Cisse who IMO are all above Carey in terms of ability. Assuming all those stay and we add another CB to the mix to me it dosnt seem logical to keep a player who unless we have massive injuries is clrealy not going to feature regularly.

Just because he knows the club ''inside out'' dosnt mean he should automatically be offered a new deal. Ask yourself this question, do you honestly think Careys performances over the past 2 season's have been worthy of him to be offered a new deal? Hes not the only one, but seeing as his contract was up anyway it would be the perfect time to get rid and use the money else where. May sound harsh but thats life, he is no longer good enough at this level and the sooner everyone accepts that the better.

Respect your points but KM, CS have gave him the contract and i will stand by my words as a part player they done right giving him a contract, Fontaine, Nya, are still young, Stewart will he be here next season?, Cisse will be a key play next season in the holding midfield, but Carey 500 games, again imo to just farm him of to Yeovil or whoever is a mistake imo, you need people who bleed Bristol City, like Carrager/Gerrard Liverpool to bring the young lads through someone who has done it, only my opion, but even if Carey isn't at his prime i still beleive he deserves the contract and will help the club go forward.

Lets look at a wider picture with the union between Carey and Millen.

Discounting Careys short stay with Coventry.

Carey started his City career in 95/96, Millen joined us as a player in 1999.

Millen retired as a player with us in 2003. Carey and Millen were team mates in the City defence for 4 years.

Millen has stayed with City since his retirement as a player. Coach, Assistant manager and now manager. His old playing friend Carey, likewise is still here.

Carey and Millen have been involved together with BCFC for around 12 years, both with extensive playing careers.

Millen had 530 playing appearances, Carey is not 500, but 600 + and second only to our legend John Atyeo.

I think much about this new Carey contract surrounds the Carey & Millen history together. Secondly the historic possibility of Carey becoming our player with the highest appearance record. He could achieve that over the next 2 seasons , after all Millen played on until he was 37. Carey I think is only 35 later this year .

John Atyeo 645 starts.

Louis Carey 605 appearances

There is a difference ! I believe that Carey will be pushed out in a wheel chair, anything to give the current era of fans a new sense of being part of the club history. Form, helping youngsters etc is imo camoflage for the real objective. GJ would have very different views on Careys influence on the team, however that is subjective and we all have our own opinions on that. I have thought for 4 years that James Wilson would take Careys position. Injury prevented it happening earlier.

Lets look at a wider picture with the union between Carey and Millen.

Discounting Careys short stay with Coventry.

Carey started his City career in 95/96, Millen joined us as a player in 1999.

Millen retired as a player with us in 2003. Carey and Millen were team mates in the City defence for 4 years.

Millen has stayed with City since his retirement as a player. Coach, Assistant manager and now manager. His old playing friend Carey, likewise is still here.

Carey and Millen have been involved together with BCFC for around 12 years, both with extensive playing careers.

Millen had 530 playing appearances, Carey is not 500, but 600 + and second only to our legend John Atyeo.

I think much about this new Carey contract surrounds the Carey & Millen history together. Secondly the historic possibility of Carey becoming our player with the highest appearance record. He could achieve that over the next 2 seasons , after all Millen played on until he was 37. Carey I think is only 35 later this year .

John Atyeo 645 starts.

Louis Carey 605 appearances

There is a difference ! I believe that Carey will be pushed out in a wheel chair, anything to give the current era of fans a new sense of being part of the club history. Form, helping youngsters etc is imo camoflage for the real objective. GJ would have very different views on Careys influence on the team, however that is subjective and we all have our own opinions on that. I have thought for 4 years that James Wilson would take Careys position. Injury prevented it happening earlier.

Not part of the club history again i ask a question have you played football at any level?, Clifton Rockets to Bristol City to Manchester United you need players around the club to help the younger players who have been there done it ETC, like any job in life, painter/chippy whatever and he is the man to do it, if he only plays 5-10 games next season his experience on the training ground and around the squad will be great to James Wilson ETC.

Wasn't fully fit for Forest game but Millen also felt Wilson wasn't fully fit either, when you have two players who aren't fully fit, you always go for the one with experience

Stupid injuries have been Carey's problem this season the skull injury and BBQ incidents could happen to anyone and the injury he suffered at Leeds was more to do with a violent assault than being injury prone,

None of them were injuries he's suffered this season were related to his age or fitness and equally could have happened to Fontaine in similar position

Would I give him a contract, definitely good influence in the dressing room and gains respect from the players as present and former players have said.

Yes he's getting on but her still got a couple of years in him, would get a one year deal and reviewed annually similar to what man u and arsenal do with senior pro's

Wasn't fully fit for Forest game but Millen also felt Wilson wasn't fully fit either, when you have two players who aren't fully fit, you always go for the one with experience

Stupid injuries have been Carey's problem this season the skull injury and BBQ incidents could happen to anyone and the injury he suffered at Leeds was more to do with a violent assault than being injury prone,

None of them were injuries he's suffered this season were related to his age or fitness and equally could have happened to Fontaine in similar position

Would I give him a contract, definitely good influence in the dressing room and gains respect from the players as present and former players have said.

Yes he's getting on but her still got a couple of years in him, would get a one year deal and reviewed annually similar to what man u and arsenal do with senior pro's

Keith actually said Wilson had looked fit in reserve matches but that is academic now.

I am of the view that we should not be offering a new contract if we are serious about reducing the size and cost of the squad but I have rehearsed my arguments for thet elsewhere and won't repeat them here. I have great respect for what Louis has done for the club but I am concerned that his injury is a great risk to his health. There was simply no reason to risk him against Forest. We have since learned he has hearing problems and the Sunday Independent today says he has had headaches since last week. If we really respect him the best thing might well be to end his playing career. Whether we can afford to employ him as yet another coach or just because of his alleged influence on the players is a moot point but we should not allow him to jeopardise his health however small the risk.

I hope all the people saying theres no room for sentiment in football wont mind if Maynard decides to run his contract down and leave for nothing next summer so he can get a nice big signing on fee for himself.

or does it not work both ways?

you need people who bleed Bristol City, like Carrager/Gerrard Liverpool to bring the young lads through someone who has done it, only my opion, but even if Carey isn't at his prime i still beleive he deserves the contract and will help the club go forward.

You keep naming these veteran players such as Giggs, Carragher, Van der Sar, yet all of these are good enough for regular first team football. You say Gary Neville still helps around the club, I bet he isn't getting paid for it! There is no point giving Carey a new contract and wasting more precious funds on a player who is way past his prime... If KM wants his help bringing the youngsters through then just give him a coaching role! No room for sentiment in this league.

Not part of the club history again i ask a question have you played football at any level?, Clifton Rockets to Bristol City to Manchester United you need players around the club to help the younger players who have been there done it ETC, like any job in life, painter/chippy whatever and he is the man to do it, if he only plays 5-10 games next season his experience on the training ground and around the squad will be great to James Wilson ETC.

Yes I have played , but old age caught up with me at 42. Then I coped with coaching and managing. Regular posters would know that.

Its becoming so easy NOT to post here any more. James Wilson has been training with Carey for 4 years. There are thousands of players with vast experience in their 30's. Very few of them have the ability to pass on their experience, otherwise they would all be coaches and managers. I have no objection to Carey or James or McAllister becoming a coach, get qualified and apply for the job.

I have been in clubs that hire from within and select from their favorite sons Its bloody heartbreaking for players when they know they are better than the favorites and get very few chances. I am 68 but old age does not make you more knowledgable about the game. That means both fans and players. Plenty of great players are blessed with a natural footballing talent, you cant teach natural talent or pass on knowledge, The art of communication is required to go with knowledge.

Somebody with a different viewpoint to yours, does not mean a lesser footballing knowledge or playing career. Your first question is insulting.

Yes I have played , but old age caught up with me at 42. Then I coped with coaching and managing. Regular posters would know that.

Its becoming so easy NOT to post here any more. James Wilson has been training with Carey for 4 years. There are thousands of players with vast experience in their 30's. Very few of them have the ability to pass on their experience, otherwise they would all be coaches and managers. I have no objection to Carey or James or McAllister becoming a coach, get qualified and apply for the job.

I have been in clubs that hire from within and select from their favorite sons Its bloody heartbreaking for players when they know they are better than the favorites and get very few chances. I am 68 but old age does not make you more knowledgable about the game. That means both fans and players. Plenty of great players are blessed with a natural footballing talent, you cant teach natural talent or pass on knowledge, The art of communication is required to go with knowledge.

Somebody with a different viewpoint to yours, does not mean a lesser footballing knowledge or playing career. Your first question is insulting.

I apologise if i came through as insulting but i still stand by my views, Carey needs imo to be around what with Millens plans will be a young squad, again from you have said above you have been there done it, your comments to become a coach i understand where your coming from but coaches can't talk into your ear on the pitch, in training with Carey guiding Wilson ETC on the training ground. I stand by my views and respect your comments

Carey is very fit and looks after himself very well

Except where BBQs are concerned. :)

I think LC could do a job at RB next season but should NEVER be considered for a CB role, monday proved that those days are long gone.

As for being a leader, LC looks to have been gagged this season, I sit 11 rows back from the pitch in the Williams and he is soooo quiet, certainly not a leader, may have been in the past but not now.

LCs continuous slating of Gerken last season didn't put him in the best light, I know he has passion for the club but you have to show that in the right way.

As for a leader, get Caulker back.

BCAGFC

Makes no financial sense to offer Carey another contract. Yes he has been great servant for the club, but he is past it now, too easily turned, gives away far too many free kicks around the box as a result. Let's remember him as a great servent not a past-it defender costing us points like against Forest.

Archived