IGNORED

Maynard

Guest Fireman Sam

Not Maynard related however:

Watford accept 3.5 Mill bid from Swansea for Striker Danny Graham.

Surely gives more of a indication of what Maynard is worth, about the same or a little more ??

As QPR have failed in landing Graham, does anyone reckon they will bee after our Nicky ?? !!!

There is no objective measure of what he is "worth", including the fee for another player. For instance Shane Long, with a similar record to Graham, is likely to go for more if the rumours (e.g. £5m to Newcastle) are true. The question is whether we can afford to turn down more than Watford. According to Keith, and thanks to Steve, we can afford to turn down big money. If Nicky wants to go we can at least therefore push the fee up.

Interesting by the way that QPR would not match Swansea's bid. Their wealthy owners seem relatively reluctant to spend big, despite the massive hike in ticket prices; or possibly Graham isn't glamorous enough for them?

It shows that the top teams aren't interested in him.

The likes of Graham and Morrison are strong, phyiscal players.....something Nicky isnt.

These teams going up might presume Nicky too much of a luxury type.

Physical players, yes we got the same attitude her in Sweden. His to short his to thin etc. But about the best players, are they physical? No. Pele, Diego, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, George Best and so on. The genious are not physical in my opinion, they play the game with ther head. I dont say that NM is Einstein but he can do things on the pitch an averageplayer only can dream of. If Nicky signs im seriously thinking we have a chance to be top six.

Thanks for the link.

I thought the part about Carey was interesting too:

Louis had quite a nasty injury at the end of last year so we need to make sure he's fit. We'll sit down to look at how we can extend his contract..

So it seems less clear cut than we thought perhaps.

City seem to be (belatedly) giving the Carey contract situation the serious contemplation a renewal for an injury prone veteran merits.

Perhaps CS is having second thoughts as to whether a new contract fits in with the new money conscious and avowed squad cutting climate?

Indeed will CS take this opportunity to show he is a ruthless new Chairman who is willing to cast sentiment aside in his determination to get value for money and show that previous declarations were not empty words?

Very interesting, we shall see.

It shows that the top teams aren't interested in him.

The likes of Graham and Morrison are strong, phyiscal players.....something Nicky isnt.

These teams going up might presume Nicky too much of a luxury type.

He's a far better all round striker than Graham or Morrison, and he's strong enough, so if he goes the fee will be considerably higher.

I think he'll be in the sights of mid table premier league clubs at least..

I very much doubt he'll be a City player come August.

City seem to be (belatedly) giving the Carey contract situation the serious contemplation a renewal for an injury prone veteran merits.

Perhaps CS is having second thoughts as to whether a new contract fits in with the new money conscious and avowed squad cutting climate?

Indeed will CS take this opportunity to show he is a ruthless new Chairman who is willing to cast sentiment aside in his determination to get value for money and show that previous declarations were not empty words?

Very interesting, we shall see.

The contrast between Kieth saying he had offered Carey a new contract and what Colin has to say is indeed interesting. Could be the first sign of tension between them?

Look we all know he doesn't want to be here longterm....

If he wanted a long term contract here he would get on.

Got his eyes on bigger better things......

Speak for yourself with your rash assumptions.

This is probably Nicky's biggest career decision. He's nearly 25 and if he signs a 3-4 year deal that's committing his best years to a club.

If he wants to take his time over it to get it right it's fine with me, and the last thing we need whilst he's making that decision is "fans" making negative comments.

Look we all know he doesn't want to be here longterm....

If he wanted a long term contract here he would get on.

Really? I don't know that. Have I missed something? Has he rang round everyone else and not me?

What I do suspect is that it's highly likely we will hear nothing until the players report back. I just hope that he doesn't have a read of this thread before he decides.

Guest MC Risk

Speak for yourself with your rash assumptions.

This is probably Nicky's biggest career decision. He's nearly 25 and if he signs a 3-4 year deal that's committing his best years to a club.

If he wants to take his time over it to get it right it's fine with me, and the last thing we need whilst he's making that decision is "fans" making negative comments.

totally agree.......if you just put yourself in the players position for one minute........

if he has aspirations to play at the highest level and probably international honours, at 25, this is not the place you want to be....i know people on here think about sentiment and how we progressed his career by plying his trade at a higher level, but there is no loyalty in football, and if i was in his shoes at 25 i would think now is the time, as sad as it makes me feel!!!!

we will cope and use the money to invest elsewhere and without nicky maynard i think we will enjoy another mid table season next year, he just may make the difference on us challenging for play offs or not in 2012

Guest MC Risk

I would say at this moment in time, unless we find 3 competent defenders over the summer the aim will be to finish 21st.

ouch!!!! altho thinking about it, maybe your right, even our england goalkeeper didnt shine last year with that shower of shit infront of him

I can't understand some of the less than complimentry comments about Maynard on this thread. I can only guess they are born out of frustration that Maynard hasn't signed a new contract rather than his ability and worth to the club.

When Maynard made his first full appearance of the season after his lengthy lay off, City were 19th and still a worrying 6 points off the relegation spots.

Nine games and six Maynard goals later, City had climbed to to 15th and were a comfortable seventeen points off the drop.

His goals and the momentum that they gave the team, in my opinion, saved us from an uncomfortable end to the season at best, relegation at worst.

A fully fit Nicky Maynard is the difference between us being a good Championship side and us being a below average one.

As for Pitman being an adequate replacement if Maynard goes, hopefully he will be, his goals per game suggest he can be. I just wonder why Millen seemed fit to put him on the bench eighteen times last season. Ask yourself, would Millen of put Maynard on the bench so often?

I would love to see Maynard playing for us come August. :fingerscrossed:

I completely agree with the thrust of your post! However you can only play 11 and Pitman did have some ineffective spells (much like Maynard in his first season where he was on the bench a lot), nevertheless I hope Pitman knocks it out of the ball park next season as I see we have 3 very good forwards and a decent player in the hole in Clarkson....As a manager said at the end of last season we finished with possibly the best forward line in the division, which will make us a very dangerous team next season!!!

Archived