IGNORED

Lewin Nyatanga / James Wilson

_Bristol-City_

Both seem to be written off in a lot of peoples favorite teams... Why?

I personally believe Nyatanga was very very good towards the end of last season!

Wilson isn't yet first team regular, but he is very very close to being so..

Why is everyone so adamant we sign a centre half?

Wilson, Fontaine, Carey, Nyatanga, Stewart.. Cisse if needed, Ribs if needed.

I think most certainly 3 of them are good championship cbs..

I personally believe Nyatanga was very very good towards the end of last season!

Because Caulker's gone and without him last season we'd have been relegated.

Carey isn't up to it any more except as possibly an occasional filler-in, Ribs is good, but as one of a back 3, Cisse is only Championship standard in midfield, Stewart is surplus if another club comes in for him.

We need a new centre back who is not just a solid Championship player but a leader, a quality we will otherwise lack without Caulker.

There's real hope with Wilson but he can't be expected to carry other inconsistent and mistake prone team mates while forging his own career.

I agree with Nyatanga, he's been criminally underrated on here in recent times. Wilson still has to prove himself but if he can play to his potential he'd easily get into our first 11.

I wont disagree with you that Tangs is a good defender but what lets his game down is his distribution , he tends to aimlessly punt it forward to nobody . Where as Caulker was always looking to make a pass or even bring it forward perhaps take a man on himself until somebody was available to pass to.

As for James i really hope he gets his chance and stays injury free as he did look very promising at the end of last season.

They are both Welsh, nuff said.

The problem for me is that Carey's new deal has effectively painted us into a corner, as we now have Fontaine, Stewart, Nyatanga, Carey and Wilson all under contract until 2012 at least (in Nyatanga and Stewart's case until 2013).

That's 5 centre backs already on our books, 4 of whom are experienced, (plus don't forget Nyatanga and Stewart also cost us nearly a million pounds in transfer fees) and with 4 of them presumably on decent Championship wages.

If I was in charge of the playing budget therefore I'd want to know why we needed to bring in a sixth centre back before we had got at least one of them off the wage bill and so I'd want us to try and either make good use of the five we already have, or ship at least one off pretty sharp-ish and I really doubt the latter will be at all easy.

I hope James Wilson will be the new Caulker...................think Millen's focus presently will be LB cover then Nyatanga and Fonts compete for the left sided CB slot, with Stewart/Carey/Wilson alongside and Ribs/Carey at RB

Because Caulker's gone and without him last season we'd have been relegated.

Carey isn't up to it any more except as possibly an occasional filler-in, Ribs is good, but as one of a back 3, Cisse is only Championship standard in midfield, Stewart is surplus if another club comes in for him.

We need a new centre back who is not just a solid Championship player but a leader, a quality we will otherwise lack without Caulker.

There's real hope with Wilson but he can't be expected to carry other inconsistent and mistake prone team mates while forging his own career.

Quite. Given the quality of our defending in the last 2 or 3 seasons it seems hard to make a case for persisting with those we have (Wilson apart) but it seems only Stewart is not wanted. It puzzles me that Keith seems to think them all good enough but wants another one, meaning we may have at least 6 centre halves on the books. It looks like confused thinking and certainly goes against the strategy of reducing the squad and wage bill.

Nyatanga I have doubts about because too often he looks like a rabbit in headlights. He's prone to mistakes and lumping it when he's panicked too. As a player who cost us a significant fee and is on senior first team pro money I don't think he is good enough and would move him on.

Wilson looks a decent footballer but has been close to the first team for years now and is rarely available for selection. If he can get and stay fit and free from injury, great, let's see how he develops. If not, we can't persist with him.

Stewart is a big first ball winner who's fairly calm but not very mobile and susceptible to being turned. He's worth keeping for when we play a side with a giant up front but otherwise wouldn't be first choice for me.

At the moment our best centre half pairing is Carey and Fontaine. We need someone to take the reigns from Carey over this season.

Cisse is only an option for massive injury crises.

Archived