IGNORED

The East End - What's The Story?

x3widRacin

Would love to, but, don't know a great deal myself; needs some older posters.

Along the lines of :-

Always City end; loud, proud etc. etc. "You'll never take the East End" etc.

Controversially made in to away end

Best acoustics due to low roof, hence, away fans often appear to be making noise

We want it back

Kak view though :clap:

Right - That makes sense then - for some reason i'd been thinking otherwise based on response.

So what will happen of the away fans at the chesterfield game?

and

Is the east end one of those they are redoing? based on the plans for development from last year

The East End has far better acoustics than the Ateyo and so even the smallest away support can be heard quite well. The atmosphere at the gate is rarely good, even in big matches, but if we were to have the East end for home supporters, the noise we make would be enhanced :Costumed19:

It may be older than the Ateyo, but most city fans don't care if it makes the atmosphere better.

Before the building of the Atyeo Stand about 8? years ago the East End was the end that City fans congregated.It was terracing then and had a great atmosphere helped by the low roof and loads of noise was generated.The opposite end was wide open and usually the away fans were exposed there.We had some good times in the covered end.

But...the view was dire with supporting pillars along the front getting the way and the slope was very slight which ment you couldn`t often over peoples heads.

When the Atyeo opened with its superior.facilities,salient and view the City fans all understandably congregated there instead.Been there ever since.

Before the building of the Atyeo Stand about 8? years ago the East End was the end that City fans congregated.It was terracing then and had a great atmosphere helped by the low roof and loads of noise was generated.The opposite end was wide open and usually the away fans were exposed there.We had some good times in the covered end.

But...the view was dire with supporting pillars along the front getting the way and the slope was very slight which ment you couldn`t often over peoples heads.

When the Atyeo opened with its superior.facilities,salient and view the City fans all understandably congregated there instead.Been there ever since.

Thanks for the report! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Guest Bristol_Babe

Is still a little one and so can only recall stories from her Dad and Grandpa and their antics in the East End back in the old days.

But I still got to go there before the Atyeo was created. And we were turfed out. :P

• Admin
Then came the seats and then the dolman and atyeo stands; we were moved? asked to leave? I dont know but atmosphere like that will rarely be repeated.

Not wishing to appear pedantic, but the Dolman stand was built a couple of decades before the all-seater stadium came in. Dolman stand named after Harry Dolman, because, if I recall correctly he paid for it.

The Atyeo stand was built with the aim of improving facilities available for fans, as well as a necessity due to the all seaster legislation.

The Atyeo, whilst not providing the same acoustics as the East End, is in all other respects superior, although my preference is the Dolman, prefering a touchline view, rather than one from behind the goal.

Before the Dolman was built, I had an elderly Aunt who lived in the block of flats and her flat offered an excellent view of the ground, which was blocked when the Dolman stand was finished.

The romantic notion of reclaiming the East End is, likely never to come to fruition, in the standing days, a large percentage of the East End crowd were 'well oiled', peeing where they were stood, the behaviour, chants and occasional violence of the 'old' East End would never be tolereated in this current climate of family, sanitsed and middle class football.

I'm sure football is better for being 'cleaned up', but the family policies etc, have probably gone far enough, if I was stopped from having a curse and swear during the game, I doubt if I would bother to go.

But I still got to go there before the Atyeo was created. And we were turfed out.  :P

I don`t agree that City fans were "turfed out".

The club had just spend thousands of pounds building a new improved stand - what did you expect them to do? offer the facilities to the away fans?? at the same time leaving the poorer quality stand to the home supporters?

Come on..... :Confused13:

• Admin

I don`t agree that City fans were "turfed out".

The club had just spend thousands of pounds building a new improved stand - what did you expect them to do? offer the facilities to the away fans?? at the same time leaving the poorer quality stand to the home supporters?

Come on..... :Confused13:

Something that we can agree on Robbo :clap: . No pleasing some people, imagine the uproar there would have been if the Atyeo was given to away fans for the first game it was open

Archived