IGNORED

Kilkenny: From A Leeds Fan

Guest Paco

So I've been perusing your site today to see your first impressions of Neil Kilkenny and it appears you think you were getting a "creative midfielder"? Let me correct you right there, in no way shape or form us Kilkenny a "creative" midfielder.

What you've got it a player who will sit in front of the defence, getting the ball off the defence and playing little 5-10 yard passes to wingers or fullbacks. At this he is very capable just as he is at giving a player in his own half an option and keeping the ball in his own half trading passes with his back four. He's accomplished in tight spots and is happy to receive the ball under pressure, very reliable in that way. That's where his skillset ends. He will make it into the final third probably a dozen times a season, he'll get a few assists but from the amount of ball he receives it will be a paltry amount (5 for us last season despite comfortably having more of the ball than anyone in the side) and mostly from set pieces and slide rule passes from deep. His biggest weakness is he's a massive girly man and refuses to tackle despite playing in the area of the pitch where the best tacklers play (defensive mid). He shirks challenges like they're going out of fashion and will often summon one of his teammates to do his tackling for him so he can get on with the job of making 5-10 yard mostly sideways passes. He'll win one header a season. He'll have maybe ten shots a season. He'll also point point point and moan moan moan and I guarantee that will get on your nerves when you realise he doesn't reall earn the right on the pitch to point and moan as much as he does.

He's very good at what he does (keeping the ball and playing simple passes) but in the three years he was with us he was never a fan's favourite. This was down to how limited and soft he was. Everyone loves his ability to calm the team down but we all knew we deserved a player with a better alround game (we've got a lad called Adam Clayton from Man City now who's going to be star)

Basically Killa plays in the defensive midfielder area of the pitch, passes like a defensive midfielder (neat and tidy playing simple passes to players who are more creative) but, bizarrely, he refuses to tackle. If you've got two good wingers (like Snodgrass and Gradel) and you can afford to play two midfielders with Kilkenny who will do his running and tackling (Howson and Johnson) then he'll do what he does well and sit deep get the ball from your defenders to your wingers and attacking midfielders so they can make things happen. But don't hold your breath expecting a Xavi-type or even a Wes Hoolahan, you've basically got Shaun Derry without the tackling!

Good luck to you Robins this season (I think we'll both be fine).

So I've been perusing your site today to see your first impressions of Neil Kilkenny and it appears you think you were getting a "creative midfielder"? Let me correct you right there, in no way shape or form us Kilkenny a "creative" midfielder.

What you've got it a player who will sit in front of the defence, getting the ball off the defence and playing little 5-10 yard passes to wingers or fullbacks. At this he is very capable just as he is at giving a player in his own half an option and keeping the ball in his own half trading passes with his back four. He's accomplished in tight spots and is happy to receive the ball under pressure, very reliable in that way. That's where his skillset ends. He will make it into the final third probably a dozen times a season, he'll get a few assists but from the amount of ball he receives it will be a paltry amount (5 for us last season despite comfortably having more of the ball than anyone in the side) and mostly from set pieces and slide rule passes from deep. His biggest weakness is he's a massive girly man and refuses to tackle despite playing in the area of the pitch where the best tacklers play (defensive mid). He shirks challenges like they're going out of fashion and will often summon one of his teammates to do his tackling for him so he can get on with the job of making 5-10 yard mostly sideways passes. He'll win one header a season. He'll have maybe ten shots a season. He'll also point point point and moan moan moan and I guarantee that will get on your nerves when you realise he doesn't reall earn the right on the pitch to point and moan as much as he does.

He's very good at what he does (keeping the ball and playing simple passes) but in the three years he was with us he was never a fan's favourite. This was down to how limited and soft he was. Everyone loves his ability to calm the team down but we all knew we deserved a player with a better alround game (we've got a lad called Adam Clayton from Man City now who's going to be star)

Basically Killa plays in the defensive midfielder area of the pitch, passes like a defensive midfielder (neat and tidy playing simple passes to players who are more creative) but, bizarrely, he refuses to tackle. If you've got two good wingers (like Snodgrass and Gradel) and you can afford to play two midfielders with Kilkenny who will do his running and tackling (Howson and Johnson) then he'll do what he does well and sit deep get the ball from your defenders to your wingers and attacking midfielders so they can make things happen. But don't hold your breath expecting a Xavi-type or even a Wes Hoolahan, you've basically got Shaun Derry without the tackling!

Thanks, believe it or not keeping possession and shooting happens to be on our 'to do' list so it's probably useful that he is here. You should have seen us against Cardiff, we passed it around the D shape with no urgency to shoot at one point. A midfielder with confidence is just as useful.

Thanks, believe it or not keeping possession and shooting happens to be on our 'to do' list so it's probably useful that he is here. You should have seen us against Cardiff, we passed it around the D shape with no urgency to shoot at one point. A midfielder with confidence is just as useful.

He'll do that brilliantly but you will eventually be left wanting more from him and you won't get it.

And I think you've misread my post re his shooting?

15 assists and 10 goals in three seasons for us.

He'll do that brilliantly but you will eventually be left wanting more from him and you won't get it.

Refresh us what formation you played when you had him at his best? If we are going to fit him in the 11 we could lose shape, might not be a bad thing, I dunno, I can see him startring from the bench until we know how best to use him.

Interesting read, got me think we have Elliot and Skuse who dont mind putting the tackles in. We will soon see where KM fits him in.

Thanks, Good luck too.

Refresh us what formation you played when you had him at his best? If we are going to fit him in the 11 we could lose shape, might not be a bad thing, I dunno, I can see him startring from the bench until we know how best to use him.

Interesting read, got me think we have Elliot and Skuse who dont mind putting the tackles in. We will soon see where KM fits him in.

Thanks, Good luck too.

It was a 4-5-1 without the ball and 4-2-3-1 with the ball.

Great...we needed a replacement for Lee Johnson..

Thought the same!

Without any hint of sarcasm, yes we did. The value of a player that keeps possession either by giving or receiving the ball cannot be underestimated, it's something that LJ used to do very well but within limitations that have gradually been exposed at this level.

Without any hint of sarcasm, yes we did. The value of a player that keeps possession either by giving or receiving the ball cannot be underestimated, it's something that LJ used to do very well but within limitations that have gradually been exposed at this level.

Yep, couldnt agree more. Unforunately, this is the problem with English football as a whole. We have this whole kick and rush mentality, and this belief that the best way to play football is to get the ball forward asap.

Anyone who watches the spanish teams play will see how well they retain the ball in midfield, just by knocking the ball about.

The more you have the ball, the less chance they have of scoring. One of our biggest problems is how we dont hold possession. Hopefully Kilkenny will help us improve on this

Kilkenny is exactly the type of player we need right now. We just need the others around him, to make more movement and make themselves more available for a pass.

You only have to look at our possesion percentage over the last season and this, to realise we don't keep the ball long enough. It is usually just pinging about all over the place.

We need some controlled build up play...which in return builds up confidence, and puts less pressure on our defence.

Our defence is constantly on the back foot, because no sooner is ball played forward, that it's right back at them again. No wonder individual mistakes are being made.

I don't blame our defence entirely for the mistakes made. Our midfield constantly fail to track back or hold the ball. Our forwards also very rarely come to receive the ball, prefering to play off the last defender with a ball over the top or down the channel.

Kilkenny, will bring some relief and help build up play. He looks and sounds the type of player we need.

A conductor...someone to point, talk, set up play from the back. We didn't have anyone like that before.. He's perfect in my book.

I actually think he is Lee Johnson im yellow boots!!! Be intrested to see what they played like together in a 3 man midfield with Cisse!

It would be total football

(could imagine them squaring the ball to each other for the whole game)

Well that is better than the previous incumbent of that position (Lee Johnson).

Kilkenny actually got stuck in on sunday (one of few), chased his (& others) men into the corners.

Pleased with what I saw on sunday and the Wales v Australia game was a perfect example of how he plays and what we desperately needed, but it needs to be in a 3 man midfield.

BCAGFC

What you've got it a player who will sit in front of the defence, getting the ball off the defence and playing little 5-10 yard passes to wingers or fullbacks.

That'll be an improvement on what we already had. Our other midfielders struggle with passing the ball more than 2 yards

We do have good wingers, assuming our manager plays a winger on the left, rather than a striker. Not quite as good as the 2 you've mentioned, but Adomah is explosive (assuming he can replicate last season's form). Not sure whether we can play 3 in centre-mid though, as 4-5-1 doesn't really get the best from our front options of Maynard, Stead and Pitman.

The only way I can see this working is using a 3-5-2 and I'm not convinced we need another change away from a 4-4-2. Mind you, a 3-5-2 would negate the need for a left back!

*********************************************James****************************************

****************Spence*****************Carey****************Fontaine*******************

******************************Cisse******************Killkenny********************************

Adomah***********************************Elliot**********************************Woolford

******************************Stead************Maynard*********************************

Personally, I think Cisse would have to play in this formation to protect a back 3, but again unlikely as he seems out of favour.

Yep, couldnt agree more. Unforunately, this is the problem with English football as a whole. We have this whole kick and rush mentality, and this belief that the best way to play football is to get the ball forward asap.

Anyone who watches the spanish teams play will see how well they retain the ball in midfield, just by knocking the ball about.

The more you have the ball, the less chance they have of scoring. One of our biggest problems is how we dont hold possession. Hopefully Kilkenny will help us improve on this

That's because Spanish footballers defend like netballers. Easy to keep the ball when noone's going to tackle you.

Personally I like high tempo football played on the deck one and two touch, fast breaks and goals like we had when we got to the Champions League Semi Final 10 years ago.

I personally find possession football in the middle and first third of the park boring as hell. Do you go to the football to watch your team keep the ball or do you go to see goals?

Hoof ball is prehistoric. We're talking about Crazy Gang Wimbledon where everyone in the side hoofed it up to a big man. THAT'S hoof ball. But that doesn't mean every team that doesn't choose to keep the ball for 10 mins before thinking about maybe creating a chance is a "kick and rush" team.

Well that is better than the previous incumbent of that position (Lee Johnson).

Kilkenny actually got stuck in on sunday (one of few), chased his (& others) men into the corners.

Pleased with what I saw on sunday and the Wales v Australia game was a perfect example of how he plays and what we desperately needed, but it needs to be in a 3 man midfield.

BCAGFC

That won't last, I can guarantee it.

That'll be an improvement on what we already had. Our other midfielders struggle with passing the ball more than 2 yards

We do have good wingers, assuming our manager plays a winger on the left, rather than a striker. Not quite as good as the 2 you've mentioned, but Adomah is explosive (assuming he can replicate last season's form). Not sure whether we can play 3 in centre-mid though, as 4-5-1 doesn't really get the best from our front options of Maynard, Stead and Pitman.

The only way I can see this working is using a 3-5-2 and I'm not convinced we need another change away from a 4-4-2. Mind you, a 3-5-2 would negate the need for a left back!

*********************************************James****************************************

****************Spence*****************Carey****************Fontaine*******************

******************************Cisse******************Killkenny********************************

Adomah***********************************Elliot**********************************Woolford

******************************Stead************Maynard*********************************

Personally, I think Cisse would have to play in this formation to protect a back 3, but again unlikely as he seems out of favour.

I actually like that formation, just need a Caulker like Centre back to lead them and win the first ball.

We were MUCH better on sunday after the change to 3 at the back.

Yes they had more chances but it seems that both CBs took responsibility that they didn't in the 1st half.

I would stick with 352 on wednesday.

BCAGFC

^^^^^^^^ yummy.

InCider ever tried management? Now that team might actually be worth watching!

Ha! No, just the usual computer games. :D I think we could concede a few with that line-up, but possibly keep much more possession. I just think it's the best we can do with the players we have. No new left-back signed? There's no need for left backs where we're going!

That's because Spanish footballers defend like netballers. Easy to keep the ball when noone's going to tackle you.

Personally I like high tempo football played on the deck one and two touch, fast breaks and goals like we had when we got to the Champions League Semi Final 10 years ago.

I personally find possession football in the middle and first third of the park boring as hell. Do you go to the football to watch your team keep the ball or do you go to see goals?

Hoof ball is prehistoric. We're talking about Crazy Gang Wimbledon where everyone in the side hoofed it up to a big man. THAT'S hoof ball. But that doesn't mean every team that doesn't choose to keep the ball for 10 mins before thinking about maybe creating a chance is a "kick and rush" team.

On an International stage?? Spanish defenders maybe but even taking that into account, still unsure actually- Real Madrid have Carvalho and Pepe at the back but Barca still ouplay and overcome them, Barcelona owned Man United in the final for a majority of game and Spain are currently WC and European Championship holders- find Barca and Spain especially far from boring but each to their own.

Just as well his name isn't Neil Millen, or he would be getting booed already. Small, doesn't like a tackle, sits deep and takes the ball from the back 4 and passes the ball sideways a lot. Boooooooooooo kilkenny out, nepotism from Millen, he must be kilkenny's step dad!

I go to see my team win and succeed.....I would much rahter see us win 1-0 every week with a few shots at goal and get promoted, then be involved in high scoring games which could end in a heavy defeat.

You say about Spanish football and no one tackling them.....I agree their league is quite soft, however they are decent at international level when they come up against the "high tempo" English

The reason the Spanish and to an extent the Dutch and Portugese don't 'tackle' like us is simple. It's not about being tougher, but more inteligent.

They are taught to use their body to usher the offensive player away from danger, and into zones that aren't harmful.

They then aim to break down the play by it going out for a throw in, or intercepting a pass. Gaining possesion.

The British tend to fly into a tackle, but the ball is not in their control. It ends up more often than not becoming a 50/50 ball again. They are then therefore not in control of the ball and it can lead to another attack, from which they are out of position to defend.

Spanish football is all about possesion, keeping the ball, and lowering the odds on 50/50 balls and uncertainty. Keeping shape. If you are in control, it's easier protecting your own destiny.

British football is all huff and puff, brainless 50/50 situations. It's not rocket science when you think about it.

My first impression of him on Saturday was that we had bought into yet another Lee Johnson. I couldn't believe how small he was.

This is exactly what he is - and just what we need - but we had to replace Johnson because a majority of fans dont like him beacuse he was the ex ex managers son and then fans wonder why they pay so much for tickets.

The reason the Spanish and to an extent the Dutch and Portugese don't 'tackle' like us is simple. It's not about being tougher, but more inteligent.

They are taught to use their body to usher the offensive player away from danger, and into zones that aren't harmful.

They then aim to break down the play by it going out for a throw in, or intercepting a pass. Gaining possesion.

The British tend to fly into a tackle, but the ball is not in their control. It ends up more often than not becoming a 50/50 ball again. They are then therefore not in control of the ball and it can lead to another attack, from which they are out of position to defend.

Spanish football is all about possesion, keeping the ball, and lowering the odds on 50/50 balls and uncertainty. Keeping shape. If you are in control, it's easier protecting your own destiny.

British football is all huff and puff, brainless 50/50 situations. It's not rocket science when you think about it.

Spot on. How often do we see at most grounds up and down the country, possession just being turned over willynilly, at will? We as a team don't value the ball enough- not saying we have players of the technical quality of Spain, Portugal and Netherlands, far from it but the principle is sound. Control the midfield and control the game I've always said.

Ey up fellas.

Was just wondering what your impressions are of Mr Kilkenny now you've all had a good look at him?

And do you reckon you're boys have got enough to stay up? Fingers crossed.

Your OP is quite frankly a very startling and accurate description of him. the first few games we played 4-5-1 and got some good results he was pushed up the park (saints and west ham etc) and as you said retained the ball well and was very influencial but he has a natural tendency to sit deeper playing the ball short and sideways, he is good under pressure and always has his two pees worth of moans and groans - been sat on the bench of late but did play the whole 90 at boro -

i believe we play a better style when he is in the team but he has to be pushed forward, he is a luxury player and at the moment we are in one hell of a scrap - will we make it ? ask us again end of season :pray: 50/50

He's utter dog mess unless he is forced to play just off the striker...

But he pretty much refuses to go forward and stay there. So he's utter dog mess.

No he's not 'utter dog mess' as you so inelegantly put it. He is a decent player and has had some good games, but he has suffered from not being played consistently in the same role and, like all the players, he has suffered simply from being in a struggling side with little confidence.

How maybe you know more about football that I do. You certainly seem to know more about dog mess.

I rate kilkenny.

But he has been poor recently. But it sounded like him and Eprhaim had a real understading on saturday.

For me, we struggle to keep the ball and for that reason Kilkenny is key for us - when he's playing well of course.

I rate kilkenny.

But he has been poor recently. But it sounded like him and Eprhaim had a real understading on saturday.

For me, we struggle to keep the ball and for that reason Kilkenny is key for us - when he's playing well of course.

Agreed, he's defo got something and in a team of better players he'd fit in well, he's a bit of a luxury for us at the moment, although he could easily form a very vital understanding with Ephraim if reports from Boro are correct.

On his day unplayable, has a great range of passing and decent on the break. However, when he decides to sit in front of the back 4 he's of little use to anyone.

Agreed, I spent the time that he was on the pitch against whatever shouting at him to get up the other end of the pitch. He doesn't have the Tinnion style pass to play in front of the back 4 so what he becomes is a (IMO) poorer version of Lee johnson.

Get up the other end, in behind the front 2 and open up defences, thats what I would say to him

Agreed, I spent the time that he was on the pitch against whatever shouting at him to get up the other end of the pitch. He doesn't have the Tinnion style pass to play in front of the back 4 so what he becomes is a (IMO) poorer version of Lee johnson.

Get up the other end, in behind the front 2 and open up defences, thats what I would say to him

He has been class, when he has pushed further forward.

Guest sportingmad0209

Unbelievably accurate! Apart from this bit... (I think we'll both be fine).

He will have a big part to play next season (in certain games), but when your in a scrap (like us), he should stay on the bench!

He has been class, when he has pushed further forward.

That's not his game though is it? He's a softy and his mentality is to stay away from the rough stuff. That's why he likes that little pocket in between his defence and midfield.

If he actually had some bite he'd be one of the better midfielders in that role in the league. But it would appear you can't teach that kind of thing.

Because the quality of his passing is better as well as his control of the ball in pressure situations. Also when we don't have the ball his pressing of opposition players is good and he organises our players when on the pitch, something no one does when he's off the pitch. Not saying he is key for us by any means, however he is a lot better than Johnson was (not saying Johnson was awful either).

However, when he decides to sit in front of the back 4 he's of little use to anyone.

Which is almost all of the time he is on the field.

Slows the play down far too much for me, which IMO has been a problem throughout our side. We play with no urgency or desire to get forward and put the opposition under pressure, but i digress.

Still don't get how anyone can rate him more than Johnson!

IMO, he's not been much of an improvementon Johnson, if at all.

He covers less ground than Johnson and tackles even less.

He's had the advantage of playing in a five man midfield in most of the games he's played, something that Johnson rarely did.

But he gets nowhere near as much abuse as Johnson did.

IMO, he's not been much of an improvementon Johnson, if at all.

He covers less ground than Johnson and tackles even less.

He's had the advantage of playing in a five man midfield in most of the games he's played, something that Johnson rarely did.

But he gets nowhere near as much abuse as Johnson did.

He's much better than Johnson. He's very good at keeping the ball under pressure for starters and when on form we keep the ball so much better. His passing is also much better and he looks very decent when he is in the final third - johnson did'nt

But I do agree he isnt playing under pressure like johnson always was.

He's much better than Johnson. He's very good at keeping the ball under pressure for starters and when on form we keep the ball so much better. His passing is also much better and he looks very decent when he is in the final third - johnson did'nt

But I do agree he isnt playing under pressure like johnson always was.

I don't agree that he's much better than Johnson.

He's not a bad player, certainly "not utter dog mess", but equally certainly not class.

Neither was LJ.

Kilkenny may look very decent when in the final third, but would he look as good playing in a four man midfield where workrate, i.e. getting up and down the pitch, is more important.

Johnson always looked a far better player, imo, when he had the luxury of playing in a five man midfield.

Overall, difficult to compare as both have mainly played in different set-ups.

I'm not a fan of Kilkenny. I think he slows the game down, and sits far too deep. He had an excellent game away at Millwall where he played further forward and linked the play really well. I've got no idea why he has reverted to sitting on top of the back four since then.

Aside from shirking tackles and creating very little, I'm not sure why Millen signed him. He clearly hadn't done his homework on him when he was at Leeds, as Leeds fans were saying all these things before he signed!

A very very frustrating player, and I'd offload him in the summer.

Archived