IGNORED

David Sullivan Talks Maynard Deal

t_b

Clarifies a lot around the fee, clauses and interest from them and others across the season gone.

Various comments from a wide ranging set of interviews on: http://www.westhamtillidie.com/:

ID: You said the last transfer window was the most difficult you’ve ever been through. Take us through from the start to the finish. What was it like for you as the chairman, trying to find a player, then you’d see it in the papers…

DS: We chased about 20 players. At the end, I think we bought very well. Only time will tell. Take Vaz Te. We got him for what we wanted to pay, but at the start of January they wanted double. Even though his contract was up this summer, they were gung ho, but by the end of the transfer window it’s either getting money off us or getting nothing in the summer. Maynard was exactly the same. They’d have got 6 ½ million from Leicester last summer, but he wouldn’t go to Leicester.

ID: You tried to get him last summer, didn’t you?

DS: Yes. We offered £4 miillion. We’ve ended up getting him for what will amount to a couple of million quid, which is not a lot of money for a payer who… I mean the other night against Southampton he could have won the game for us with one touch. He smashed one in and the guy made a great save. He’s a decent player. I think we bought well at the end.

[On Rangers player Jelavic]

ID: So you didn’t actually make a formal bid?

DS: Yes we did. We made two or three formal bids for him. We bid £5 million, but they wanted six or seven. They wanted more on knock ons. They wanted quick payment, and we now know why. I wasn’t prepared, and Sam wasn’t prepared, to bid a penny more than £5 million. And we both had reservations about it. It is a real gamble when you sign any player. What you are trying to do is buy value for money. Maynard was £1,650,000 and £350,000 based on promotion or staying up. They get nothing for promotion this year, but next year if we stay up or get promotion it gets £2 million. So that’s better value. Also his wages are high but not as high as we would have had to pay the Rangers player. So we think that was better value for the club than the Rangers deal. Whether it turns out to be, only time will tell.

[On twitter and online gossip affecting deals]

We didn’t go in for Maynard early. We went in overnight on the transfer deadline. We did it very quickly. Wolves were desperately trying to get him as well. Had they known of our interest they might have ramped their bid up a bit more.

ID: There was a rumour that Wigan had signed him for 2.5 million at one point.

DS: All these deals were close but we just snuck in and took him.

So West ham offered £4m for Maynard in the summer?

That's interesting.

Oh dear, not more BS from our board.

It will be interesting to see Sexton's response.

Albeit it was another championship club.

I cannot see any reason for Sullivan to lie, even if he is a odious little man

Like I always said - if maynard told us of his intention to leave in the summer, we could have got ALOT more.

I was right.

Four million quid could have been spent on this poor squad. Mind you, I wouldnt have trusted millen with the money - he would have bought another 8 wingers or strikers!! :laugh:

Like I always said - if maynard told us of his intention to leave in the summer, we could have got ALOT more.

I was right.

Spot on. All these people saying it was his right to see out his contract, yeah you're right but if the greedy git had said last summer it doesn't matter what deal you offer i wont sign then he would be playing (sat on the bench) in the prem at this moment rather than sat on the bench at a championship club. This is why he'll get booed, it was never a case of stoping him bettering himself at a bigger club rather the way he went about it.

Guest lou-peters-dive

Spot on. All these people saying it was his right to see out his contract, yeah you're right but if the greedy git had said last summer it doesn't matter what deal you offer i wont sign then he would be playing (sat on the bench) in the prem at this moment rather than sat on the bench at a championship club. This is why he'll get booed, it was never a case of stoping him bettering himself at a bigger club rather the way he went about it.

So who is still our top goal scorer?

I'm sure not signing a contract in the summer was to maximise his value to any potential suitor regardless of the timing of any move. I really don't think him not publicly making that clear made one iota of difference to an interested party. If a Premier League club had made an offer for him last summer he'd would have been off like a shot, and the fact that he stayed put (and wouldn't take the obvious earner to Leicester*) was a calculated risk on his behalf.

*For us and him. And many thanks go to the chairman for muddying the waters with a bravado bs statement about not selling to a rival club - really really pathetic colin. You and I both know that if it makes financial sense (and it did) then there is no rational reason to block a move - and you wouldn't.

Looking at our season if it wasn't for Maynards goals we could of been relegated already....

His 8 goals have been absolutely vital for us this season.

Not that one :facepalm:

Because without him, we would have played with ten men every game??!

I was right.

Four million quid could have been spent on this poor squad. Mind you, I wouldnt have trusted millen with the money - he would have bought another 8 wingers or strikers!! :laugh:

Well Maynard wouldn't of gone to West Ham at the start of the season anyway!

He only wanted to join a prem team, so he wouldn't of gone.

He has only joined WHFC cause they look like they will probably go up

Well Maynard wouldn't of gone to West Ham at the start of the season anyway!

He only wanted to join a prem team, so he wouldn't of gone.

He has only joined WHFC cause they look like they will probably go up

Why not?

Looking at our season if it wasn't for Maynards goals we could of been relegated already....

His 8 goals have been absolutely vital for us this season.

They have. However if Pitman or Stead started up front every single week in their actual position regardless of how shit they were then it's very likely they could have got that amount. Pitman in particular. Considering Maynard offered f ** k all when he wasn't scoring imagine if it would have been him stuck out on the left and Brett allowed to play centrally, he'd have been even more useless.

Maynard gave us 8 goals and plenty of shit performances in 26 games. A run that included 10 games without a goal. Lets not heap the praise on the lad too much.

I don't care. I saw him miss that sitter on Saturday though. Nice to see he's still on top form.

(And that's the last time I'll ever mention him again, until he scores against us in April...)

Thats a long way to go, to watch them train?? (west ham did'nt play at the weekend)

Oh I'm terribly sorry Riaz, I forgot Maynard missed a sitter on Tuesday night against Southampton rather than on Saturday against no-one. I don't suppose it makes any difference that I actually saw the footage on Saturday does it? If you forgive me for making a little mistake like that I'll forgive you for butchering the abbreviation of 'did not', although perhaps I shouldn't (the apostrophe always replaces the missing letter - see?) :-)

Oh I'm terribly sorry Riaz, I forgot Maynard missed a sitter on Tuesday night against Southampton rather than on Saturday against no-one. I don't suppose it makes any difference that I actually saw the footage on Saturday does it? If you forgive me for making a little mistake like that I'll forgive you for butchering the abbreviation of 'did not', although perhaps I shouldn't (the apostrophe always replaces the missing letter - see?) :-)

Wasnt being pedantic - I don't think maynard has missed a sitter for west ham. I actually thought you dreamt it up, because he had one chance which brought a good save on Tuesday.

No need to get so defensive..

Archived