IGNORED

Bringing Back The Drummer

Guest Kez_Manor

Guest Kez_Manor

Good evening all

I write today because I am thinking of buying a drum (with own money) to take to the pomp game and crank up the atmosphere, even more than we have done in recent weeks.

I write today to see if other people think this is a good idea or not and feel it would benefit the club atmosphere wise. I don't want to spend the cash if people think its pointless or if it is not allowed (Bristol City could you please confirm if drums would be allowed in the ground).

I saw how the Leicester City drummer helped get their fans going, and i remember they days of the drummer and trumpets in the Atyeo stand.

PLESE give me your feed back as I would need to get this ordered soon so we can have it to the game.

Cheers and COYR

To a certain degree, I think some of the posters on this thread are right.....in moderation!

When football grounds used have air horns, they'd only ever last about 2 to 3 blasts and then run out of steam - but that plenty enough.

I then think back to the Millenium Stadium appearances we made and those bloody horns............aggggghhhhh!!!! They done my nut in.

Kez, I'm delighted you want to up the atmosphere. After years sat in blocks H & G of the Atyeo listening to the erstwhile City band and drummers, my expert research reveals as follows:Drums at football can be good in certain circumstances but are generally bad for atmosphere. So very, very often a song or chant would start up but almost immediately get drowned out by the drummers just as it was about to get loud.

Simplistically it's like this; if the crowd is already noisy, any drumming will drown out voices in the nearest vicinity and make the crowd quieter. Do NOT play a drum in a noisy football crowd.

If the crowd is quiet, a well-played drum can help to encourage a bit of singing along, provided it accompanys a song the crowd will join in with and is played rhythmically and at the right tempo, and not too loud. Sadly the majority of drummers at football have the rhythm, timing and musical awareness of a woodlouse.

Hope that helps!

The drum used to be quite good in the east end - but towards the end the person on the drum didn't have no rhythm and used a shoe.... It just got on people's nerves.

Basically - you need someone who knows what there doing with it...

Guest Cliftonville

The drum used to be quite good in the east end Basically - you need someone who knows what there doing with it...

Thats was AP first few seasons. Used to be really good. Speed it up slow it down but don't just beat it for the sake of it.

A drum is ok if used along side singing/chanting and not over the top of it and used with the right chants ie: cider army (drum beat) cider army (drum beat) and so on.

The EE does have a drum in the flag box and is allowed to be used only in one certain block, problem we get is some take it off to the netted area and don't have a clue how to use it (which pee's people off) so we put the thing in the box for now.

If the original poster is in the eastend and want to have a go on the drum then we will try it ,but only in the block we are told to use it in and it can be played sensibly to enhance chanting and not drown it out.

iv moaned on here before about drums being played by Sheff wed and Blackpool (i think) who just beat it consistently and imho it totally killed the atmosphere, if used sparingly im sure it could possibly help the atmosphere although the last couple of games it certainly hasn't been needed

Guest Kez_Manor

Thank you for all of your comments! I think I will hold back on buying one for now, as it seems a topic that needs much more thought on.

I totally agree that drums can be over worked, and can be more of a pain than an atmosphere builder.

Cider head thank you for informing me that we already have a drum. I currently sit in the Williams, so in regards to trying the drumming myself I don't think the Williams stand would be the best one to try it out in :laugh:.

My idea was just one to help do my little bit more than I'm already doing to try and help the club out and make AG the fortress it should be.

Thank you for all of your comments! I think I will hold back on buying one for now, as it seems a topic that needs much more thought on.

I totally agree that drums can be over worked, and can be more of a pain than an atmosphere builder.

Cider head thank you for informing me that we already have a drum. I currently sit in the Williams, so in regards to trying the drumming myself I don't think the Williams stand would be the best one to try it out in :laugh:.

My idea was just one to help do my little bit more than I'm already doing to try and help the club out and make AG the fortress it should be.

If your up for doing a little bit more to try and help improve atmos, then I am always looking for help with FR pal.

Guest ziderhead2003

Just got my tickets for pompey today and think bringing a drum would be quality. Pretty sure it would be allowed! Do it...!

Guest Kez_Manor

If your up for doing a little bit more to try and help improve atmos, then I am always looking for help with FR pal.

Let me know how and I will always do my best to get it done for the club!

Archived