IGNORED

"boro Set To Offload Stephen Mcmanus To Bristol City" -Sunday Sun

ciderincornwall

Didn't get the opportunity to see McManus, was he that good?

Whilst Amougou was perhaps more spectacular he was prone to error. McManus, not as spectacular but solid, strong and can win the ball in the air. As can be said, zero pace, but with Foster at RB and Fonatine (for example) alongside him we should be able to cover that.

Better than what we have.

I'd be pleased without being delighted - so long as his wages came down to a level we can sustain.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good addition , but do we need another left footed CH ? Fontaine would surely be first choice , with Nyatanga as back up. I would think we needed a right sided player to play alongside Fonts , with Wilson and Carey as back up.

Guest shaner89

Brilliant news! However, I do feel that Amougou gave more of a threat going forward too.

Obviously McManus would be excellent acquisition for us, however if I had to pick my preference it would be Amougou - he loves picking people out and lofting it forward which is great. If it were at all possible, to be honest, I would say cheerio to Nyatanga and get both of them and they would both provide stiff competition for each other as well and Fontaine and although both players wages would be high, we will ALWAYS has an experienced and STRONG centre pairing who have both proved themselves at higher levels than the Championship.

Thats All!

:D

Solid, good first ball header, on pitch leader. No pace.

Shaun Taylor had zero pace and he was a colossus for City. McManus would be an excellent aquisition and exactly what we need at the back. A leader, a first ball winner and someone you feel would drive the team on. I for one will be very happy if this comes off.

Not saying he wouldn't be a good addition , but do we need another left footed CH ? Fontaine would surely be first choice , with Nyatanga as back up. I would think we needed a right sided player to play alongside Fonts , with Wilson and Carey as back up.

Have to agree, Fontaine is a guaranteed starter next season so we should be looking for a right footed centre back to play alongside him.

If I am honest, i'd have neither of McManus or Bikey. McManus is left footed and Bikey seems to have too many people noticing he plays well to earn a contract and very average once he's got it. I hope Del looks elswhere for a right footed centre back with a bit of pace and can pass as Fontaine isn't great at pinging balls out wide.

I hope Del looks elswhere for a right footed centre back with a bit of pace and can pass as Fontaine isn't great at pinging balls out wide.

And good in the air.

I'm sure he'll find plenty but they'll all be out of our price range. A right footed centre half with a bit of pace and can pass and can win a ball in the air is...unlikely at best for this level. This is why we end up with ones who can do all but the passing. Or don't have pace.

Guest Taunton_Red

he got yellow carded in every single game bar one on his loan down here but looked dominant in the air.

I'm not sure if the wages spent if we sign him are going to be worth it.

Whilst Amougou was perhaps more spectacular he was prone to error. McManus, not as spectacular but solid, strong and can win the ball in the air. As can be said, zero pace, but with Foster at RB and Fonatine (for example) alongside him we should be able to cover that.

Better than what we have.

I'd be pleased without being delighted - so long as his wages came down to a level we can sustain.

I wouldn't go worrying about this as the fee which is a snip for a Quality defender will be offset to pay for his wages that may be a bit higher than normal, but not that high IMO. We are in the Championship remember so unfortunetly that means we have to spend like one whether we like it or not, or we'll end up getting relegated and what will that cost us? There are not that many quaity players out there that are free, (plenty of crap ones that we really don't want as we've just got rid of a load) and the ones that are quality can demand very high wages which we are just not willing to pay like the big boys in our league!

Mixed feelings about this one - he is a great player and his fee would be pennies, we would be paying 10% of the £1.5 million he was sold for 2 years ago.

With the wage bill being significantly reduced with the departures of *unt and James, im sure we could afford his high demands, but just how high are they?

SL said in the podcast that the club will stand firm and will not be taken for a ride by greedy players/agents and will tell them to find first team football elsewhere, so i'm sure the right decision will be made.

Overall I would be quite happy with this signing as long as he can strike a good understanding with Fonts, who is unlucky not to be playing in the prem next season after his medical failed at Southampton.

If either Bikey or Mcmanus are signed this summer, then I think we can expect a significant reduction in the 'Goals against' column, so Del Boy, sign 'em up! :)

Guest Taunton_Red

I disagree - he played for us 6 times and got 2 yellows against Portsmouth and Palace.

I seem to remember in each game, me and my brother joked about it, he got a yellow in every game except his last one.

Bikey is in a stronger position to demand a bigger signing on fee and higher wages and greater amount of interest, 2 years younger, off the back of a successful loan spell.

Mcmanus will have to be more realistic, lower wages for perhaps 3 years instead of 2 years, which I suspect he will be looking for, potential captain, also Mcmanus is well practiced in playing in a back 3, which would be a great string to DMC's bow.

I really think that having a right and left footed centre back pairing is less important than people think. We're living in an age now where we're getting left footed right backs and right footed left backs so I definitely don't think it matters too much. John terry is right footed and has played in the left centre back position most of his career. Yes I know that Fonts and Tangs was a terrible partnership at the start of the year but I think that was their fault, not their preferred feet. Depends on the players, I would have total confidence in McManus and Fonts being solid at the back next season.

I really think that having a right and left footed centre back pairing is less important than people think. We're living in an age now where we're getting left footed right backs and right footed left backs so I definitely don't think it matters too much. John terry is right footed and has played in the left centre back position most of his career. Yes I know that Fonts and Tangs was a terrible partnership at the start of the year but I think that was their fault, not their preferred feet. Depends on the players, I would have total confidence in McManus and Fonts being solid at the back next season.

I don't think it's vital but it just adds that extra bit of balance. Just the same as a right footed and left footed player playing in the middle. Cole Skuse and Suso playing infront of Cisse? :P

Playing on your wrong side as a centre half tends to lead to a lot of penalties especially when the opposition take note of it.

I'd rather have Amougou than McManus on ability, but would be pleased with both.

I think Ill pass on McManus, I didnt feel that he was any better than say Wilson or Fonts. So he was, 'gobby'? A defence that leaked on average 2 goals a game whilst he was here and some shocking performances from him. suggest that people are looking at it with some rose tinted glasses. As mentioned by others he picked up two bookings in such a short time, so discipline is suspect and he is increasingly injury prone as well. As mentioned when he signed on loan he 'position blocks' Wilson iirc. Because of his age , 31 in October, it means we would be looking for a replacement relatively quickly as well. It's a firm 'no' here. Would rather have Amougou if available. Or instead of adding to the 4 Centre Backs we already have (Wilson, Fontaine Nyatanga and Carey) I'd much rather we go and sign priority positions first, where we have no one, like LB etc.

People will point towards, they dont always sign in order, and whilst I appreciate that, it's becoming a summer very reminiscent of others where we seem to be completely ignoring areas that have been identified as being problematic in favour of adding to positions where we already have players, plus cover and we all know how that ends up :/

He's far better than Wilson.

I think Ill pass on McManus, I didnt feel that he was any better than say Wilson or Fonts. So he was, 'gobby'? A defence that leaked on average 2 goals a game whilst he was here and some shocking performances from him. suggest that people are looking at it with some rose tinted glasses. As mentioned by others he picked up two bookings in such a short time, so discipline is suspect and he is increasingly injury prone as well. As mentioned when he signed on loan he 'position blocks' Wilson iirc. Because of his age , 31 in October, it means we would be looking for a replacement relatively quickly as well. It's a firm 'no' here. Would rather have Amougou if available. Or instead of adding to the 4 Centre Backs we already have (Wilson, Fontaine Nyatanga and Carey) I'd much rather we go and sign priority positions first, where we have no one, like LB etc.

People will point towards, they dont always sign in order, and whilst I appreciate that, it's becoming a summer very reminiscent of others where we seem to be completely ignoring areas that have been identified as being problematic in favour of adding to positions where we already have players, plus cover and we all know how that ends up :/

30 in september to be accurate, which used to be your speciality.

But I find it strange on another thread you were in agreement to sign a player that you had never seen play, but because he was an Arsenal player and had played for a couple of Spanish sides you had heard of, he was 'designer' enough. Dosen't always work I recall a player called Hunt who was deemed 'designer' enough, whatever happened to him.

Wilson has potential to be miles better.

Potential. Players with potential need to play in good sides, Wilson gets caught out far too much as he's not quite there yet and we don't have anyone to get him out of trouble. I'm not sure managers should risk playing defenders who are potential players, they need to be at the peak of their game imo.

Guest Phil78

Sort of player we need.

Was unfit when we got him ad got better as games went on, I'd definately have him back if price is right

Birth date 24th October 1981 According to Espn, which is what I was using for the age thing. Sorry if that is incorrect

When you have finished trolling, I was in agreement in signing the Arsenal player because of potential, youth, top level experience and the possibility that if came good for would either net us some income or could be in that position for years to come. Hence the excitement. Designer enough? Whut?

Who's trolling?, you have based your opinion totally on what you have read and very little else, thankfully DMC will base his on first hand knowledge and footballing reasons.

Pedigree doesn't always mean you don't get sold a pup, once more I give you Nicky Hunt, who when signed was greeted by the vast majority on here as being the type of player we should be signing and not Albert from Barnet because after all he couldn't be that good only playing for Barnet could he, Hunt based on little else other than he had played a lot of games in the prem and the odd 5 minutes on MOTD, conveniently forgetting the fact that his recent history was that he hadn't actually played many games at all and Albert because he played for Barnet.

I wish the archives went far enough back to re-read those threads.

Bikey for me - quicker,has more talent and cheaper.

I believe a few years younger too.

Was immense going forward at Burnley early on iirc.

Just seems to have more potential positives than McManus.

Bikey will be far more expensive, because he will have more choice and possible opportunities abroad and a signing on fee. Mcmanus will accept a slightly longer deal on less money, Bikey will almost certainly expect parity with what he is earning now.

Bikey will be far more expensive, because he will have more choice and possible opportunities abroad and a signing on fee. Mcmanus will accept a slightly longer deal on less money, Bikey will almost certainly expect parity with what he is earning now.

Why do you think this? McManus was signed by Boro for £1.5m from Celtic, he's earning big there and has another year on his contract.

If he were to accept less wages from us it would only be because we were paying a big signing fee and a transfer fee that Boro were using to make up the difference on his wages.

Amougou signed for Burnley when they were in the Prem so unless he moves to the Prem won't be expecting or getting parity with his current contract.

Financially I expect there'll be little difference between them all told.

Why do you think this? McManus was signed by Boro for £1.5m from Celtic, he's earning big there and has another year on his contract.

If he were to accept less wages from us it would only be because we were paying a big signing fee and a transfer fee that Boro were using to make up the difference on his wages.

Amougou signed for Burnley when they were in the Prem so unless he moves to the Prem won't be expecting or getting parity with his current contract.

Financially I expect there'll be little difference between them all told.

As I say Bikey will have more bargaining power, younger, no fee and off of the back of a successful loan period, would almost certainly accept a shorter contract and might be attracted to foreign clubs.

Mcmanus has been injured, out of the side for a long period, not fully fit and dining out on his Celtic connection, I suspect the 150k fee is Boro's way of trying to offset his outstanding year and the original speculation has always been would accept a pay cut for an extra year of contract.

As I say Bikey will have more bargaining power, younger, no fee and off of the back of a successful loan period, would almost certainly accept a shorter contract and might be attracted to foreign clubs.

Mcmanus has been injured, out of the side for a long period, not fully fit and dining out on his Celtic connection, I suspect the 150k fee is Boro's way of trying to offset his outstanding year and the original speculation has always been would accept a pay cut for an extra year of contract.

No doubt Bikey will have a wider range of options. I would expect clubs in Spain, France, England and the Middle East to be looking at him. McManus will most likely only have offers in England and Scotland but he isn't even a free agent so that would make his offers limited anyway.

Guest Brislingwood Red

I don't understand this love in with Wilson. If he wasn't born in Bristol he'd be seen as similar to Tangs.

If we had the opportunity, Id rid both Tangs and Wilson, freeing up 2 new centre halves to come in and challenge Fontaine.

I don't understand this love in with Wilson. If he wasn't born in Bristol he'd be seen as similar to Tangs.

If we had the opportunity, Id rid both Tangs and Wilson, freeing up 2 new centre halves to come in and challenge Fontaine.

He wasn't.

I tend to agree, Wilson isn't 18 anymore where he can be given alot of excuses, he's 23. The same age as Nyatanga...

When I read he was wanted by bigger clubs I was thinking we should try negotiate a good deal.

I just think if Wilson is to be what people say he can be, he better hurry up because he's got tonnes of improvement to make and he's going to be a relatively experienced player in a couple of years.

I tend to agree, Wilson isn't 18 anymore where he can be given alot of excuses, he's 23. The same age as Nyatanga...

When I read he was wanted by bigger clubs I was thinking we should try negotiate a good deal.

I just think if Wilson is to be what people say he can be, he better hurry up because he's got tonnes of improvement to make and he's going to be a relatively experienced player in a couple of years.

I've never been the biggest fan of Wilson's, he always seems to be one of the least disciplined of our CBS. 14 starts and 4 yellows and a red card, probably the most indisputable of the red cards any of our players received last season

Well the reason he hasn't got that experience is a number of crippling injuries and being out on short loan spells here and there. The only way he is going to improve is if he gets first team games and isnt position blocked by signing people over him. Which is what I said in the first place.

He's not good enough to play week in week out in the Championship imo, and he's not getting loaned out to League one because Del probably thinks he is very decent back-up, nothing more.

When did Del ever loan him out? Did I miss something? It was Johnson who kept loaning him out, rather than giving him a chance to develop here.

Why did you feel that he isnt good enough for the Championship?

I never said Del loaned him out. Del wont loan him out but he also will very rarely start him.

I don't think he's good enough to command a start place because he gets caught out too much, his positional sense isn't great and his tackling is rash to say the least.

If he was still 19/20 I would see him as a good talent and one worth keeping, but being 23 he should have shown more than he has so far.

Well clearly you are, trolling because I've seen enough of McManus in this league to realise he isn't the answer, instead of the assumption that it is all very little else. I've also taken in views of Middlesboro fans, Celtic fans and so forth and so on to come to a considered view.

I was only reading what you put because I clicked view to read on your ignored posts, which was clearly a mistake.

I don't remember people saying that Adomah would be rubbish. Infact, here is the thread. Almost unanimous excitement as he signed. But as that doesnt suit your agenda then it clearly doesn't matter.

For parity hereis the Nicky Hunt thread about him signing as well. Lots of 'coo he must be good' stuff. But also a cautionary tale from the Bolton Forums. We were warned :)

So once you have got your 'facts' straight as well, then maybe you could discuss things like a nice civilised adult.?

Point 1, I have never been banned unlike you, what was that for?.

Point 2, you make mistakes, never.

Point 3, I suppose that was the only thread about Albert?, I don't suppose for instance after our crap start that other threads mentioned things like what do you expect?.

Point 4, We have been warned by fans about many players we have signed, most of us chose to make our own minds up, others go on pedigree alone and assume that means that is all that is needed.

Point 5, Considering you got your first fact about Mcmanus wrong by 1 year, facts eh overrated.

Guest Brislingwood Red

Fair does, misread you regarding Del. Regarding the other stuff though, he isnt going to get to improve that without playing first team games. He wont develop those things that you say he is missing without them. How could he have shown more in a career that has seen some severe 'on pitch' injuries and a messed up ankle under the new training effort. He was first choice at the start of last season and then over xmas. More games and he will get better. Simple. If it then doesnt work, then fair does. At present though we still dont need a CB as a priority (We have 5 on the books at present Wilson, Stewart, Fontaine, Nytanga, Carey) seeing as we dont actually have a LB at the club afaik and only have 1 contracted (Lewis Carey hasnt signed yet has he?) Goalkeeper to boot

If we are to better last seasons awful season, then we require at least one new centre half. 3 out of those 5 arent good enough and the other will struggle to perform week in week out due to age concern.

Regards my earlier comment of Wilson, I meant as he's been promoted from our academy set up. I'll give you one point though.

I never said Del loaned him out. Del wont loan him out but he also will very rarely start him.

I don't think he's good enough to command a start place because he gets caught out too much, his positional sense isn't great and his tackling is rash to say the least.

If he was still 19/20 I would see him as a good talent and one worth keeping, but being 23 he should have shown more than he has so far.

Didn't Del start him quite a few times at the start of his reign? Then he picked up an injury and never came back in. Could be wrong

Didn't Del start him quite a few times at the start of his reign? Then he picked up an injury and never came back in. Could be wrong

Sounds about right, I would say this season is make or break in Wilson's career as pointed out he ain't an 18 year full of potential and lot's of suitors anymore, in fact 5 years and 25 starts says it all so far to me.

1. Database error apparently. Posting rights were affected for a few days. Modern technology is great isnt it?

2. Yeah, I even admit them as well . What's your excuse?

3. You said you couldn't find it, I found.it. Quick Google search. If you wanna find more go ahead, You were mistaken in your presumption about him not being rated though, as confirmed by the thread on his signing. It happens, get over it. It's only a forum for the love of humanity.

4.?

5. I quoted my source for his age. Where was yours again?

Back to ignore I think. Was better that way. I dont know who or what you think you need to fight. It's a discussion forum the end. Coming out all guns blazing, 'trolling' for a reaction doesnt really suit you though.

I thought the whole idea about getting a new manager in and having a pre season in was to make better use of the squad we have, which before last season was considered good enough for this league, before Millen's disastorous reign. Or has McInnes lost that support as to what he can do with existing players and must sign more to replace the ones we already have when we are severely lacking in other areas?

If you think our current squad is good enough then you are so wrong. It's been proven.

I've seen enough of McManus in this league to realise he isn't the answer

Ralph, please get in contact with McInnes asap before he makes a terrible mistake and backs his judgement and signs this guy. God only knows why he isn't running these things by you in the first place.

Guest Brislingwood Red
I thought the whole idea about getting a new manager in and having a pre season in was to make better use of the squad we have, which before last season was considered good enough for this league, before Millen's disastorous reign. Or has McInnes lost that support as to what he can do with existing players and must sign more to replace the ones we already have when we are severely lacking in other areas?

You can't polish shite. Well you can but theres only so long you can mask it for.

Ralph, please get in contact with McInnes asap before he makes a terrible mistake and backs his judgement and signs this guy. God only knows why he isn't running these things by you first place.

Prepare to be put on ignore mate !!

Guest Brislingwood Red

Here's a thought....why not have McManus and Amougou??

At least then we won't have to rely on the over rated player that is Liam Fontaine

Total agreement.

1. Database error apparently. Posting rights were affected for a few days. Modern technology is great isnt it?

2. Yeah, I even admit them as well . What's your excuse?

3. You said you couldn't find it, I found.it. Quick Google search. If you wanna find more go ahead, You were mistaken in your presumption about him not being rated though, as confirmed by the thread on his signing. It happens, get over it. It's only a forum for the love of humanity.

4.?

5. I quoted my source for his age. Where was yours again?

Back to ignore I think. Was better that way. I dont know who or what you think you need to fight. It's a discussion forum the end. Coming out all guns blazing, 'trolling' for a reaction doesnt really suit you though.

Thank god for that, Glyn you were right and it works.

Here's a thought....why not have McManus and Amougou??

At least then we won't have to rely on the over rated player that is Liam Fontaine

Agree mate. I like Fonts and he is steady, but nothing more. He is very over rated by some that's for sure.

Not now they are in the Premier league surely.

Be very surprised if they come back in for him. He ain't good enough for the prem!

I wouldn't mind seeing Nyatanga moved on, never going to improve our leaky defence. Getting shot of him and Stewart will free up decent wages.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nyatanga moved on, never going to improve our leaky defence

I know i'm going to be in a tiny minority here, but i disagree. Nyatanga is 23, around 6 months older than Wilson (who people believe still has the potential to grow into a decent footballer). He has improved massively since he arrived here, seems postionally more sound and stronger & fitter. Passing leaves a lot to be desired, obviously. He's played a good number of games for someone of his age, and with the right coaching and experience perhaps he'll go on to make it at this level. He'll certainly be no world-beater but i don't think he's any worse than Wilson and he's not all that far behind the (IMO) massively over-rated Fontaine.

I know i'm going to be in a tiny minority here, but i disagree. Nyatanga is 23, around 6 months older than Wilson (who people believe still has the potential to grow into a decent footballer). He has improved massively since he arrived here, seems postionally more sound and stronger & fitter. Passing leaves a lot to be desired, obviously. He's played a good number of games for someone of his age, and with the right coaching and experience perhaps he'll go on to make it at this level. He'll certainly be no world-beater but i don't think he's any worse than Wilson and he's not all that far behind the (IMO) massively over-rated Fontaine.

Him and fonts are very similar. For me he has improved but not enough? How many chances can we keep giving him? As you say he has age on his side, and like Wilson is at the make or break age.

I would however argue that as Nyatanga isn't as good as Fonts, is left footed and has made a lot more appearances than Wilson yet isn't much better, if at all, I would get rid. For me I would only keep Nyatanga as a back up left back to the left back we eventually sign. We probably won't have the funds to sign two left backs so he would do, or we could always shift foster over to that side for cover.

I am not convinced about Wilson either, too rash but is also far more inexperienced than Nyatanga. Out of the two I would persist with Wilson for next season.

give me a steady player who rarely drops a bo11ock any day of the week

ffs are we expecting to sign someone like bobby moore was or better

Where have I said I expect to sign a player better than Fontaine? I said he is over rated, because some on here think he is Premier League class which he isn't in a million years.

Archived