IGNORED

"boro Set To Offload Stephen Mcmanus To Bristol City" -Sunday Sun

ciderincornwall

Him and fonts are very similar. For me he has improved but not enough? How many chances can we keep giving him? As you say he has age on his side, and like Wilson is at the make or break age.

I would however argue that as Nyatanga isn't as good as Fonts, is left footed and has made a lot more appearances than Wilson yet isn't much better, if at all, I would get rid. For me I would only keep Nyatanga as a back up left back to the left back we eventually sign. We probably won't have the funds to sign two left backs so he would do, or we could always shift foster over to that side for cover.

I am not convinced about Wilson either, too rash but is also far more inexperienced than Nyatanga. Out of the two I would persist with Wilson for next season.

All a game of opinions eh. I would personally persist with Nyatanga over Wilson for the same reason you wouldn't - the experience he has. For me he has improved significantly enough (from his first season here) to warrant the opportunity to continue - obviously its a big season for both of them and if they both end up staying both will need to achieve or risk being shipped out.

But with us needing to reduce our squad size I would rather Nyatanga shipped out than Wilson, Lewin is more prone to panicing when on the ball than Wilson which is very noticable.

I agree his distribution isn't great, but positionally i think he's much better than Wilson.

All a game of opinions eh. I would personally persist with Nyatanga over Wilson for the same reason you wouldn't - the experience he has. For me he has improved significantly enough (from his first season here) to warrant the opportunity to continue - obviously its a big season for both of them and if they both end up staying both will need to achieve or risk being shipped out.

I agree his distribution isn't great, but positionally i think he's much better than Wilson.

It is indeed my friend. To be fair to Nyatanga, under Del he looked better than he ever has in a City shirt. Until he got injured Del quite liked him I think.

I think both will be kept on. Wilson can play at RB and Nyatanga LB. I know they both aint great in those positions but it will give us cover meaning we only will probably sign one left back and centre half.

Personally I think we could get a lot better value than McManus and can't say I was over-impressed by his loan spell here.

Agree with this, also he didn't exactly spark an upturn in our fortunes, unlike Amougou.

On a separate note, if the McManus story is true, presumably we're no longer in the hunt for Keogh?

McManus would be a great signing - experience (box ticked), tough tackling (box ticked), aerial ability (box ticked), positional sense (box ticked), leadership qualities (box ticked). Before someone brings up a lack of pace, remember if he ticked every box he would be playing for one of the top ten teams in the country.

McManus would be a great signing - experience (box ticked), tough tackling (box ticked), aerial ability (box ticked), positional sense (box ticked), leadership qualities (box ticked). Before someone brings up a lack of pace, remember if he ticked every box he would be playing for one of the top ten teams in the country.

But, if he ticks all the boxes why can't he get in the Middlebrough team or even their squad? Unlike most people on this thread I wasn't impressed by him during his time here, and more importantly we really need a right footed centre back to partner Fontaine and not another lefty.

But, if he ticks all the boxes why can't he get in the Middlebrough team or even their squad? Unlike most people on this thread I wasn't impressed by him during his time here, and more importantly we really need a right footed centre back to partner Fontaine and not another lefty.

He played every game for Middlesbrough after he was recalled by them. He's captained Celtic, Scotland and Middlesbrough originally signed him for £1.5M which shows that he must have something about him. Going by their forum, many of their fans think he's a decent player but aren't too upset about him going due to the high wages he's on.

Whilst on loan with us, he performed well enough, nothing spectacular but good enough to play for an established Championship side, which hopefully we will now become under Del. I personally thought Bikey was better than him (and two years younger) but he has a reputation of playing for a contract and then losing interest. McManus is a leader, will undoubtedly have a good relationship with Del due to their nationalities, and as I said previously, will be a safe pair of hands at this level. Not bad business at all for 150k and I for one would be pleased with the signing!

He played the majority every game for Middlesbrough after he was recalled by them. He's captained Celtic and Scotland and Middlesbrough originally signed him for £1.5M which shows that he must have something about him. Going by their forum, many of their fans think he's a decent player but aren't too upset about him going due to the high wages he's on.

Whilst on loan with us, he performed well enough, nothing spectacular but good enough to play for an established Championship side, which hopefully we will now become under Del. I personally thought Bikey was better than him (and two years younger) but he has a reputation of playing for a contract and then losing interest. McManus is a leader, will undoubtedly have a good relationship with Del due to their nationalities, and as I said previously, will be a safe pair of hands at this level. Not bad business at all for 150k and I for one would be pleased with the signing!

I agree totally. Del has alluded to some "issues" that went with our awful run in febuary in which McManus loan spell crossed over with which may have contributed to a less than secure defence that for the most part SM was trying to plug and with being in and out of the side for various reasons, it was hard for him to stamp his authority.

With a fresh start and a full preseason we have the chance to build a defence that won't leave SM exposed for pace but see him lead the line, win headers and generally install a winners mentality into the squad, which as I've said before is much needed. There isno point banging on about his lack of pace or guile on the ball. He does what he does and has formed a decent career for himself by doing that. I will be pleased if he's able to carry that on with us.

That is of course if there is any truth in ths story because I don't think we have any shread of evidence so far to substantiate it? Where are all the people with sources when you need them?

Personally I think we could get a lot better value than McManus and can't say I was over-impressed by his loan spell here.

Really! Like to tell us who you'd like us to sign for under a fiver? We are trying to stay in the CHAMPIONSHIP you know!

Remember the joy of last season?

• Admin

Point 3, I suppose that was the only thread about Albert?, I don't suppose for instance after our crap start that other threads mentioned things like what do you expect?.

I'm not going to search for it but my hazy memory is that considering our poor start Albert was the one bright point with many posters commenting on his refreshing eagerness to make it in this league & that having only recently stepped up 2 divisions he was putting many of our more experienced players to shame. I'm sure there will be others who back up this recollection. However, no matter how good he is, it is worth remembering that there will be plenty of players better than him available on frees from the Scottish 3rd division.

Shaun Taylor had zero pace and he was a colossus for City. McManus would be an excellent aquisition and exactly what we need at the back. A leader, a first ball winner and someone you feel would drive the team on. I for one will be very happy if this comes off.

I agree with this, Shaun Taylor to this day was my favourite CB for City and it was mainly down to the fact he took control of the team. We've not had a leader for as long as I can remember and if McManus is even half the leader that Taylor was then he could be an amazing acquisition for us.

Amazed so much negativity about McManus. Honestly, for 150k and a sensible 2/3 year deal, that would be amazing business. Amougou will cost us in wages, and his work rate record worries me, he's also very all or nothing, and when the nothing happens it ends will a goal. McManus is average yes, but surely we need average, we need stability right now. Fonts and McManus would give us a ball winner and what I always call a 'cleaner' who mops up what the ball winner doesn't, something we haven't had since Taylor (as many have mentioned).

I find it stunning, we were linked with all these names last year who were way above our league, and when we missed out on them people were upset, now we're after realistic targets and people still want to moan?

Let's remind ourselves how to walk into mid table before we attempt to run into the higher ends of the table!

there are two questions you need to answer about McManus

1. Is he an improvement on what we already have here, the answer is yes he's a better CB then Nyatanga, Carey Fontaine and Wilson he is also a leader which is somthing the team has lacked in recent years,

2. Is it value for money, again yes it is I'd much rather spend 150k on a proven defender then 1 million punds on a defender from a recently relegated team,

Amazed so much negativity about McManus. Honestly, for 150k and a sensible 2/3 year deal, that would be amazing business. Amougou will cost us in wages, and his work rate record worries me, he's also very all or nothing, and when the nothing happens it ends will a goal. McManus is average yes, but surely we need average, we need stability right now. Fonts and McManus would give us a ball winner and what I always call a 'cleaner' who mops up what the ball winner doesn't, something we haven't had since Taylor (as many have mentioned).

I find it stunning, we were linked with all these names last year who were way above our league, and when we missed out on them people were upset, now we're after realistic targets and people still want to moan?

Let's remind ourselves how to walk into mid table before we attempt to run into the higher ends of the table!

1. Is he an improvement on what we already have here, the answer is yes he's a better CB then Nyatanga, Carey Fontaine and Wilson he is also a leader which is somthing the team has lacked in recent years,

2. Is it value for money, again yes it is I'd much rather spend 150k on a proven defender then 1 million punds on a defender from a recently relegated team,

Agree with the sentiments above.

I'd say to most doubters; if not McManus then who? Yep, there is Amougou and I'd not be displeased if he came back, but who else is there we'd realistically be able to attract? Not a confrontational statement but really a question; let's see some suggestions.

Not sure I'd like to see an expensive Keogh over a cheap McManus personally; just feel if he costs us more than McManus in fees and wages he'd cost too much.

A big 'tick' in McManus' favour for me is his keenness to play, including for us, as the whole mad rush to be here for the Palace game last season indicates. He wants to play football and puts himself on the line; that sort of inspiration and motivation is worth more than 150k to a team like ours.

Exactly. If we are going to sign an older player then it has to meet all of the criteria above. For that price we can't go wrong, and more importantly he is an improvement on what we have!

Back of evening gazette says we are about to sign big mick so I reckon he is the first of many. 150k. I think a good signing but you never know until we see him fully settled.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/boro-fc/boro-fc-news/2012/06/11/stephen-mcmanus-could-leave-boro-for-bristol-city-84229-31157314/

To be fair it doesn't say we ARE signing him, more a rehash of the sun story. Fingers crossed we hear something official soon

Really! Like to tell us who you'd like us to sign for under a fiver? We are trying to stay in the CHAMPIONSHIP you know!

Remember the joy of last season?

Just giving an honest opinion, I was not over-impressed with him, and you have to look at the whole package, not just the fee. I can understand the love-in with Amougou, although I have doubts about him bearing in mind certain incidents, but I saw nothing in McManus to justify signing him. What is this obsession with signing these loan players? How about scouting the lower divisions and looking for a player that we can develop for the future? Just my opinion.

What people are forgetting with McManus that he was wanting to come to city on loan for sometime but it was the clubs that couldn't agree on a fee. Not only do I rate him but very rarely you come across a player wanting to come out on loan for the genuine interest of it being due tot he club he was going out on loan to. 150K as well. Worth every penny.

Even if you wanted to look at younger players to develop lower league teams aren't going to sell you their best prospect players now days for any less than 500k at the bare minimum.

Just giving an honest opinion, I was not over-impressed with him, and you have to look at the whole package, not just the fee. I can understand the love-in with Amougou, although I have doubts about him bearing in mind certain incidents, but I saw nothing in McManus to justify signing him. What is this obsession with signing these loan players? How about scouting the lower divisions and looking for a player that we can develop for the future? Just my opinion.

An interesting point for sure, but we have our own young players to develop. However let's look at the mess we got ourselves in without any experienced defenders arguably only to be rescued by old heads Carey, McAllister, McManus and Amougou when it mattered

Archived