IGNORED

New Players Coming In

Guest Grandad48

Guest Grandad48

I must say that I am a little disappointed with the transfer activity, I would have expected a little more quality coming or at least news of quality coming in by now. I purchased my season ticket before the end of the season on the expectation of some better players than we released at the end of the season coming in that is not happening all we hear is bad news, staff being made redundant bad news about the new stadium just doom and gloom when a number of clubs are trying to improve their squads.

Very disappointed .

Yawn

Someone had to start the thread though

What don't you get about people being on holiday? The transfer market is always quiet during the start of June, towards the end of the month it will get going. Fear not Grandad, the fun is yet to begin

I must say that I am a little disappointed with the transfer activity, I would have expected a little more quality coming or at least news of quality coming in by now. I purchased my season ticket before the end of the season on the expectation of some better players than we released at the end of the season coming in that is not happening all we hear is bad news, staff being made redundant bad news about the new stadium just doom and gloom when a number of clubs are trying to improve their squads.

Very disappointed .

Contender for the worst post of the summer, so far.

Guest Scoliver92

I must say that I am a little disappointed with the transfer activity, I would have expected a little more quality coming or at least news of quality coming in by now. I purchased my season ticket before the end of the season on the expectation of some better players than we released at the end of the season coming in that is not happening all we hear is bad news, staff being made redundant bad news about the new stadium just doom and gloom when a number of clubs are trying to improve their

Very disappointed .

Back to the home Grandad

I don't know why I was surprised at seeing this thread started. It seems that despite people answering it with sensible explanations every close season it still crops up, and I'd wager that it will do the same before the signings starts in earnest. Apparently it's not just the young un's that are horribly impatient

Guest Ashton1

I always seem to be holiday when the transfer stuff hot's up July mainly , chasing around for wi fi signals !

As pointed out on other posts, it's all negotiations at the mo, testing the waters if you like !

Very disappointed .

:facepalm:

• Admin

We have to be patient the euros are still so we can't sign any big names yet there still involved

Actually Russia are out so our number one attacking midfielder target Dzagoev should be signing any day now :D

I always seem to be holiday when the transfer stuff hot's up July mainly , chasing around for wi fi signals !

As pointed out on other posts, it's all negotiations at the mo, testing the waters if you like !

Why don't you tell Radio Bristol you are willing to comment on our signings but only if they put some credit on your phone?

Very disappointed .

Doom and Gloom are what most City fans thrive on. There's nothing most like more than a conspiracy theory or a period of inconsistency so they can moan whine and whinge. Even when things are going well, there are those who love to throw a spanner in the works or try and disrupt everyone's feelgood factor. Trust in Del's judgement, that's what he's paid to excercise, and I'm sure the quality we all crave will be arriving in the not too distant future.

As long as most are here for pre season we should be able to generate the team spirit necessary for a successful start to the season.

Pearson and Morris is a good start. Take it easy look at the other clubs. Thinks City will do fine. SL and DM knows the right direction. Its onl june and most of the clubs have no money. We got a good ground to build. A few more signings and I think we can be at least midle of the table. Looking forward.

Latest from the official BS site:

Neil Alexander

Simon Church

Nicky Maynard (who?)

Nicky Shorey

Stephen McManus

Scott Vernon

Ray Atteveld to Gas as coach (my personal favourite!!!)

Oh and 4 have turned us down whilst Del continues to talk to 3 others....

Consider yourselves updated. A rest day at the Euros but a busy day of BS!!!!!!

Guest Ashton1

Why don't you tell Radio Bristol you are willing to comment on our signings but only if they put some credit on your phone?

On a cruise mate , have works mobile that I can't travel with ! And I'm

A tight arse !

Although the OP is what we could call slightly hysterical about the current transfer situation, I would like to offer some kind of defence for him and also correct a number of statements made by other posters who falsely believe that everyone is on holiday and no transfers are being sorted out until July.

We all know that money is tight and that we will have to scrap for some free agents this year to bolster our squad. Whilst I would not expect us to have made too many moves by this stage of the off-season, I would like to point out some of the transfers that have already been completed by other teams in our league. I would have hoped we would at least have had a look at some of these and hopefully made enquiries on some of them :

Jason Pearce (CB) - Portsmouth to Leeds - £500k - Player of the Year for Pompey and sold at cut price - Should we have enquired? We need a new CB with experience at this level?

Matty James (CM) and Ritchie De Laet (CB/FB) - Man Utd to Leicester - £2m joint fee - Ok, a little out of our range financially but James could have been that elusive creative midfielder we all crave?

Scott Laird (LB) - Stevenage to Preston - Ok, not in our division, but we know we were supposedly interested in this position of absolute need.

Kieran Lee (RB) - Oldham to Sheff Weds - Free - Player of the Year for the last 2 seasons, young, potential. We ought to be interested in these kind of lads.

Joel Ward (RB) - Portsmouth to Palace - £400k. Another with experience now at this level and sold at cut price.

Elliott Hewitt (RB) - Macclesfield to Ipswich - £250k - Highly rated young full back. This type of player is surely within our budget and he's supposed to go on to good things is this lad!

Danny Swanson (AMC) - Dundee Utd to Peterborough - Free - We've heard plenty about this one on here over the last few months.

Kelvin Etuhu (RM) - Portsmouth to Barnsley - Free - Again, another one who is young yet experienced at this level, and free.

Joe Mattock (LB) - West Brom to Sheff Weds - Free - Our much needed left-back position remains vacant and another good, young and experienced free one has gone?

Luke O'Neill (RB) - Mansfield to Burnley - £200k - Another promising young lad now at a rival on the cheap.

Bobby Olejnik (GK) - Torquay to Peterborough - £300k - Young keeper coming off a good season at Torquay - Ideal number 2 material or even a challenger for the No 1 spot. Will now be first choice for a rival.

Jacob Mellis (CM) - Chelsea to Barnsley - Free - Ok, the lad comes with some difficulties, but I'm sure it's just youthful exhuberance. This could be a very good signing for Barnsley and I'd have hoped we would be looking at him.

So, there you go. Already there are plenty of incomings into our division, and some of these players I am gutted we've missed out on. All bar the Man Utd pair are surely within our budget too.

As I said, in the OP's defence, we do need to be making significant moves already or we will miss out. Don't get me wrong, it's by no means panic stations, but you can clearly see we've already missed out on some cheap talent - exactly the sort of players we need to rebuild.

Although the OP is what we could call slightly hysterical about the current transfer situation, I would like to offer some kind of defence for him and also correct a number of statements made by other posters who falsely believe that everyone is on holiday and no transfers are being sorted out until July.

We all know that money is tight and that we will have to scrap for some free agents this year to bolster our squad. Whilst I would not expect us to have made too many moves by this stage of the off-season, I would like to point out some of the transfers that have already been completed by other teams in our league. I would have hoped we would at least have had a look at some of these and hopefully made enquiries on some of them :

Jason Pearce (CB) - Portsmouth to Leeds - £500k - Player of the Year for Pompey and sold at cut price - Should we have enquired? We need a new CB with experience at this level?

Matty James (CM) and Ritchie De Laet (CB/FB) - Man Utd to Leicester - £2m joint fee - Ok, a little out of our range financially but James could have been that elusive creative midfielder we all crave?

Scott Laird (LB) - Stevenage to Preston - Ok, not in our division, but we know we were supposedly interested in this position of absolute need.

Kieran Lee (RB) - Oldham to Sheff Weds - Free - Player of the Year for the last 2 seasons, young, potential. We ought to be interested in these kind of lads.

Joel Ward (RB) - Portsmouth to Palace - £400k. Another with experience now at this level and sold at cut price.

Elliott Hewitt (RB) - Macclesfield to Ipswich - £250k - Highly rated young full back. This type of player is surely within our budget and he's supposed to go on to good things is this lad!

Danny Swanson (AMC) - Dundee Utd to Peterborough - Free - We've heard plenty about this one on here over the last few months.

Kelvin Etuhu (RM) - Portsmouth to Barnsley - Free - Again, another one who is young yet experienced at this level, and free.

Joe Mattock (LB) - West Brom to Sheff Weds - Free - Our much needed left-back position remains vacant and another good, young and experienced free one has gone?

Luke O'Neill (RB) - Mansfield to Burnley - £200k - Another promising young lad now at a rival on the cheap.

Bobby Olejnik (GK) - Torquay to Peterborough - £300k - Young keeper coming off a good season at Torquay - Ideal number 2 material or even a challenger for the No 1 spot. Will now be first choice for a rival.

Jacob Mellis (CM) - Chelsea to Barnsley - Free - Ok, the lad comes with some difficulties, but I'm sure it's just youthful exhuberance. This could be a very good signing for Barnsley and I'd have hoped we would be looking at him.

So, there you go. Already there are plenty of incomings into our division, and some of these players I am gutted we've missed out on. All bar the Man Utd pair are surely within our budget too.

As I said, in the OP's defence, we do need to be making significant moves already or we will miss out. Don't get me wrong, it's by no means panic stations, but you can clearly see we've already missed out on some cheap talent - exactly the sort of players we need to rebuild.

A very accurate post and full of information thank you, know doubt you'll be mocked by the foam handed happy clappers on here.

What else do you want him today...? I think it's fairly self explanatory!

Well is his information genuine? Where did he get it from? Is it a fee? He didn't mention any of the above hence why I asked...

McManus will come when Del returns from his hols.

Why would we have to wait for Del to come back? If a deal is that close to happening I'm pretty sure Del has gave his consent and Jon Lansdown or some other person in the clubs' hierarchy would sort out the contract. I hardly think we'll be needing Del to lean over McManus's shoulder whilst signing the contract.

Firstly, how do you know we didn't enquire about some of these players and they wanted silly wages? Saying we should compete with Liecester is just pointless given their budget, while Leeds and Sheff Wed will have average crowds at least 10k greater than ours next year and the latter has Mandaric chucking money about. Secondly, what this is really about is people are bored because nothings happening. VERY LITTLE IS HAPPENING ANYWHERE! That list of targets is pretty much the sum total of all the transfer activity in the Championship so far. The Euros are going to mean most of the business is done a bit later as there is a cascade effect from the top leagues wanting to wait

I have to admit there are some good players on your list, but I'd rather we got it done right than got it done quick and at the end of the day, we have no choice but to trust that Del will get the right players in because we're not in charge

Just to add my 2p worth. I've heard several times from the club that the Manager picks out targets and then it is the chairmans role to speak to clients and agree terms!! That was 100% the case with Colin Sexton anyway I believe. So actually McInnes doesn't need to be here.

• Admin

Just to add my 2p worth. I've heard several times from the club that the Manager picks out targets and then it is the chairmans role to speak to clients and agree terms!! That was 100% the case with Colin Sexton anyway I believe. So actually McInnes doesn't need to be here.

The players would still want to talk to Derek about his plans for the club, how he sees them fitting in & in what ways he feels he could improve them.

The players would still want to talk to Derek about his plans for the club, how he sees them fitting in & in what ways he feels he could improve them.

Agreed, Del will also want to look them in the eye, GJ style, to make absolutely certain they are 'the right type' as he puts it. The player will certainly want to meet his future manager, discuss matters directly from his point of view, and make sure he is a boss he will be able get on with.

Of course if they are any of Del's many recent former loan players like McManus, McGivern etc., it could probably all be sorted out without a face to face as both sides will know the score already.

Guest Grandad48

Wow I have never had such a response from a posting, Would like to point out to some of the posters on this topic I never had a a ration card or ID Card, I was born after the war and no matter what you think I am entitled in this free democratic country to make a comment, without taking remarks about my age.

But in response to a number of the postings I still wonder if we are going to sign some quality beacause if we don't we will surely be favourites for relegation, now mock me if you wish but it is a fact what we have at present is not good enough and to get what we really need is major money to buy the type of players that we need, we cannot go on year after year signing other clubs cast offs on the off chance that they will come good for us more so than the club that they have left.

I like the management team, I believe that they will have a great future in Football and hopefully with us, But at the end of the day they can only do so much and you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear so hopefully some serious money is forthcoming so that the Management team can improve the side and give the fans what they deserve Success..

Well thats my thoughts.

Wow I have never had such a response from a posting, Would like to point out to some of the posters on this topic I never had a a ration card or ID Card, I was born after the war and no matter what you think I am entitled in this free democratic country to make a comment, without taking remarks about my age.

But in response to a number of the postings I still wonder if we are going to sign some quality beacause if we don't we will surely be favourites for relegation, now mock me if you wish but it is a fact what we have at present is not good enough and to get what we really need is major money to buy the type of players that we need, we cannot go on year after year signing other clubs cast offs on the off chance that they will come good for us more so than the club that they have left.

I like the management team, I believe that they will have a great future in Football and hopefully with us, But at the end of the day they can only do so much and you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear so hopefully some serious money is forthcoming so that the Management team can improve the side and give the fans what they deserve Success..

Well thats my thoughts.

I fear you are in for a summer of dissapointment then mate.

We're not competitive financially in this division so we have to wait until the leftovers are there. Luckily there are good pickings to be had in this thar transfer market. Del backs himself, and besides we don't have a choice because of our budget but to keep those plates spinning as GJ might say. I don't think we have enough evidence to back or slate Del's wheeler dealings in the championship. So suck it up, give your opinions on the people we sign and feel free to vent your frustrations at the shareholders until we sign players.

If you think we're in a position to pay premium on players you're mad. If you bought a season ticket before signings come in because of hope, you're crazy. It's totally ok to wait until you see what level of ambition the club shows before buying a season ticket. I'm not "excited" yet by our signings of players that helped us scrape survival and a 33 year old never was (I'm not saying these players are terrible, just they're not new and shiny) and if I'm to justify £50 a match (don't live in Bristol) I'm going to wait as long as possible before committing.

It's perfectly ok to criticise how long we wait to make deals public/happen. What I don't get is how someone can form the opinion that we were going to go out and sign exciting top players off the bat. There's been no evidence of that happening. It's all been financial restraint and caution preached.

Firstly, how do you know we didn't enquire about some of these players and they wanted silly wages?

I don't. I just hope some of these players were on our radar.

Saying we should compete with Liecester is just pointless given their budget, while Leeds and Sheff Wed will have average crowds at least 10k greater than ours next year and the latter has Mandaric chucking money about.

I didn't suggest we compete with Leicester - in fact you'll note that I specifically said Leicesters signings would be out of our reach.

Yes, Leeds & Sheff Weds will have bigger budgets than us due to their higher attendances, but saying that, neither will be paying out too much in terms of an average weekly wage - Leeds have refused Adam Clayton on his £13k p/w demands. Weds have signed Kieran Lee and Joe Mattock on free transfers - 2 young lads who can do a job for years and maybe bring a future profit - I just hope we were in for these guys too. Not saying we'd have snubbed Wednesday for them, but I hope we tried.

Secondly, what this is really about is people are bored because nothings happening. VERY LITTLE IS HAPPENING ANYWHERE! That list of targets is pretty much the sum total of all the transfer activity in the Championship so far.

That list is not a list of targets. I said in my post that this is the list of transfers which have already been made in our league - disproving the point that nothing is happening.

The Euros are going to mean most of the business is done a bit later as there is a cascade effect from the top leagues wanting to wait

False. English teams will sign at maximum 15-20 players who are currently at the Euro's. In fact I'll be surprised if it's even that many and some will have already been finalised such as Podolski.

There's not a huge cascade effect thereafter - and we're not likely to be signing any Prem cast-offs anyway. Some of those players I've listed should have been viable targets for us as they are cheap. I listed 12 transfers that have occurred in our league so far. 5 of them are free, 5 are less that £500k. These players are within our budget. Prem cast-offs are not.

I have to admit there are some good players on your list, but I'd rather we got it done right than got it done quick and at the end of the day, we have no choice but to trust that Del will get the right players in because we're not in charge

It's not a case of getting it done quick. We will have known months ago which players were available at the end of the season, so talks could and should have been ongoing for a long time now - in particular for the free agents I'd listed.

I do believe Del is looking at and talking to a number of players and I will trust him to do the job, and I am not questioning him - in fact you'll find I'm a huge champion of DMc.

All I'm saying is that people have stated that they think it's too early to be doing business, but we've already seen a number of transfers within our divisional rivals and I would have hoped we might have been talking to some of those players. We've missed out on 2 free agent left backs already - and that is our biggest position of need.

I didn't suggest we compete with Leicester - in fact you'll note that I specifically said Leicesters signings would be out of our reach.

Yes, Leeds & Sheff Weds will have bigger budgets than us due to their higher attendances, but saying that, neither will be paying out too much in terms of an average weekly wage - Leeds have refused Adam Clayton on his £13k p/w demands. Weds have signed Kieran Lee and Joe Mattock on free transfers - 2 young lads who can do a job for years and maybe bring a future profit - I just hope we were in for these guys too. Not saying we'd have snubbed Wednesday for them, but I hope we tried.

That list is not a list of targets. I said in my post that this is the list of transfers which have already been made in our league - disproving the point that nothing is happening.

False. English teams will sign at maximum 15-20 players who are currently at the Euro's. In fact I'll be surprised if it's even that many and some will have already been finalised such as Podolski.

There's not a huge cascade effect thereafter - and we're not likely to be signing any Prem cast-offs anyway. Some of those players I've listed should have been viable targets for us as they are cheap. I listed 12 transfers that have occurred in our league so far. 5 of them are free, 5 are less that £500k. These players are within our budget. Prem cast-offs are not.

It's not a case of getting it done quick. We will have known months ago which players were available at the end of the season, so talks could and should have been ongoing for a long time now - in particular for the free agents I'd listed.

I do believe Del is looking at and talking to a number of players and I will trust him to do the job, and I am not questioning him - in fact you'll find I'm a huge champion of DMc.

All I'm saying is that people have stated that they think it's too early to be doing business, but we've already seen a number of transfers within our divisional rivals and I would have hoped we might have been talking to some of those players. We've missed out on 2 free agent left backs already - and that is our biggest position of need.

Yeah, like I said subsequently, I shouldn't really have quoted your post in the way I did as my gripe was more with what the OP had put. That said, I think if you post a list of players on a thread of this subject there can't help but be an implication that these are players we should/could of signed and I think that's misleading.

I also have to restate my point about player 'cascade'; I fully expect that only 15-20 players may move on following the Euros, but those players will cause a cascade. Even if not directly, players just aren't moving around as much as so many coaches and managers are out in Ukraine/Poland. The transfer Market is fluid and as such, a few transfers at the top can lead to many towards the bottom

Guest ron10bc

Good shout mendip think he would be available on a permanent deal to there was some reports a few months back with him saying he would be willing to go back to Kilmarnock

Good shout mendip think he would be available on a permanent deal to there was some reports a few months back with him saying he would be willing to go back to Kilmarnock

Yeah, he's been in SPL lately so hopefully Del's fully aware of him. Even on loan he'd surely be worth a go. At 21 and behind Cole and Bertrand he must have limited chances at Chelsea.

I couldnt be bothered to read all of this but out of your orignal list Harry i only feel lke we missed out on Ward & Mattock. We may of well been interested in both but what people forgot is we didnt know what division we were going to be in till the last week of the season. Palace & Sheff did weeks before us and thus can get in their interest earlier.

Sone aluko is wanted by charlton it said in yesterday's paper in Scotland. Love it if we signed him. Hes a quality player now. And can score a few goals when sitting behind the striker. Same kind of player as Dobbie but aluko is younger and faster. And probably dearer in wages though.

We may of well been interested in both but what people forgot is we didnt know what division we were going to be in till the last week of the season. Palace & Sheff did weeks before us and thus can get in their interest earlier.

The same Sheffield Wednesday who got promoted on the last day of the season? :read:

Guest crusader

Scottish Nation in decline, we've a manager, more scottish players and now a physio. Perhaps Rangers could buy us!

Whilst I have no confidence in DM what so ever, he is here now and will give him and the club full support

Scottish Nation in decline, we've a manager, more scottish players and now a physio. Perhaps Rangers could buy us!

Whilst I have no confidence in DM what so ever, he is here now and will give him and the club full support

:shocking:

Archived