IGNORED

Buzsaky / Baldock (+ A Little Bit Of Gerrard) .... Merged

Brizzle Jordan

Cardiff fans may be giving Gerrard abuse but I honestly dont want him.

Out of all the players we have been linked with he is by far the worst. Surely there are better centre halfs around that we are prepared to pay money for?

For me he isn't a great improvement on what we already have, which surely defies the point of signing him? But then again it's not my opinion that counts, it's Del's and to this point I think his dealings have been spot on.

You may well be right. Please feel free to name a few.........

Cardiff fans may be giving Gerrard abuse but I honestly dont want him.

Out of all the players we have been linked with he is by far the worst. Surely there are better centre halfs around that we are prepared to pay money for?

For me he isn't a great improvement on what we already have, which surely defies the point of signing him? But then again it's not my opinion that counts, it's Del's and to this point I think his dealings have been spot on.

Your wish may be granted.... looks like he is off to the Foxes.

Your wish may be granted.... looks like he is off to the Foxes.

Wouldn't be too upset. Obviously if we did sign him I would hope to be proved wrong on him. Just don't rate him at all, done the rounds at a few clubs and has been average at best! There were some on here that were against signing McManus due to his lack of pace, yet Gerrard has the turning span of a combine harvester.

Wouldn't be too upset. Obviously if we did sign him I would hope to be proved wrong on him. Just don't rate him at all, done the rounds at a few clubs and has been average at best! There were some on here that were against signing McManus due to his lack of pace, yet Gerrard has the turning span of a combine harvester.

And do we even know if Del is interested? All heresay from what i have read unless I missed a comment from the Gaffer. Still, I think 200k is far more accurate a value than 400 or 600.. that would be too much imo.

McManus and Bikey for starters! McFadzean at Crawley, McKenzie at MK Dons would be others worth a look at? I would hope our search is not limited to just Gerrard anyway!

I think it has been fairly well documented that Del is not after McManus, because he would prefer a right footed CB to play alongside Fonts and that Amougou is on BIG money. (both a shame imo, but trust Del on those two)

The other two that you name there are unproven at Championship level, so not sure that is the type of player we need for that position at this moment in time.

The point of my post was it's all very well saying that Gerrard is no good etc, but there really are not that many decent, proven CB's available.

If they are key parts of their current team then clubs will want top dollar to part with them. If they are not currently in favour, then you have to ask "why?"

If they are up and coming from lower league, then that is always going to be something of a gamble and this is a key position for us to improve and could make or break any sort of success we might have this season.

Right at this moment, I think that we will be starting the season with what we have got by way of CB options and Del will look to bring in a Prem player once those not included in their clubs 25 man squads are announced.

It is a key area for improvement needed for us, but I trust Del not to make a signing for the sake of it and bide his time to get someone that he actually wants for that role.

I think it has been fairly well documented that Del is not after McManus, because he would prefer a right footed CB to play alongside Fonts and that Amougou is on BIG money. (both a shame imo, but trust Del on those two)

The other two that you name there are unproven at Championship level, so not sure that is the type of player we need for that position at this moment in time.

The point of my post was it's all very well saying that Gerrard is no good etc, but there really are not that many decent, proven CB's available.

If they are key parts of their current team then clubs will want top dollar to part with them. If they are not currently in favour, then you have to ask "why?"

If they are up and coming from lower league, then that is always going to be something of a gamble and this is a key position for us to improve and could make or break any sort of success we might have this season.

Right at this moment, I think that we will be starting the season with what we have got by way of CB options and Del will look to bring in a Prem player once those not included in their clubs 25 man squads are announced.

It is a key area for improvement needed for us, but I trust Del not to make a signing for the sake of it and bide his time to get someone that he actually wants for that role.

Bikey isn't on any money at the moment, and might find his big money career drying up pretty damn quickly! So may have to lower his demands, that Said, I'm not entirely sure I would want him here anyway, he is prone to losing it, and messing up badly. We saw the very best of him in his time here, unfortunately, as many fans of the clubs he has been at, now exactly how reliable he is over a longer period. So for me a Big thank you, for helping keep us up, but no thanks

I agree with Taylor, I really do not see Gerrard as better than anything we already have, and he has led a bit of a nomadic existence and has never really impressed that much.

As you have said, what is out there?! Well who knows, because it seems we cannot compete, or do not want to compete in the transfer market when it comes to bidding with other clubs. That would surely narrow down our choice of centre backs! So I personally would not even like to guess, if we are going in with 200k bids for our first and second choice centre backs that my show us exactly what we have to spend on a centre back! 200k is not gonna get you much in this day and age.

Guest Ricardo 'Livi' Red

If anyone believes twitter Baldock has chosen Charlton Over us and is signing for them later today....

http://www.charltonlife.com/discussion/49425/sam-baldock/p3

Rumoured to be signed by tomorrow..

If he does, then I can understand why.. No house move, local, decent ground, good fan numbers...

So we move on and find another exciting target..

Alledgedly, the fee and terms have been agreed and the club have been waiting for his decision.

I have no idea if Baldock was the player McInnes went to see last Friday, but if so then I would expect a decision today or tomorrow as the club can't hang around waiting for too long as its a key position that needs filling.

But I suspect he doesn't want to sign for us and is more interested in a club closer to his roots or staying where he is, and we may well see a completely different name signing - just my opinion, nothing else.

I think this is quite likely to be that case. It sounds like the clubs are all agreed and the agent is happy with the offer - so now it is down to the player deciding that this is the place he wants to be. Of course, that is perfectly reasonable and having the weekend to sleep on it, think about it and discuss with those that he trusts is entirely the correct thing for him to do before committing to a big move in his career.

The longer any decision takes, doubts will creep in as to how much he actually WANTS to move here and I think that whilst giving him time to think is spot on, there needs to be a fair but firm deadline for him to make that decision, giving us time to move on if he is not convinced that we are right for him.

I would like to see him here, but im sure Del & BCFC have done all they can with this one and if it transpires that he stays at Wham or goes elsewhere, then I don't think that there is alot more that we could have done to get him here.

@FootieNews20121: Sam Baldock has agreed a medical at Charlton the former West Ham player will be announced as a Charlton player by tuesday #CAFC #WHUFC

@FootieNews20121: Tottenham duo John Bostock and Grant Hall to join Bristol City on season long loans. #THFC #BCFC

If anyone believes twitter Baldock has chosen Charlton Over us and is signing for them later today....

No, I most certainly don't believe twitter! According to some on there, it was a done deal with us last week!

My gut instinct is that he will opt for Charlton because of his preference for stating in the South East, But I will not take anything from twitter as fact. Let's wait for an official announcement!

It he goes to Charlton for personal reasons (i.e. no move) then fair play; no skin off our nose.

The trick will be if we've got another target lined up, and I can't believe we wouldn't have.

If we were willing to go £1.5 (even if that included the Maynard money) then there are a number of players we could look at.

I'll throw Johnny Russell at Dundee United out there. Forget their manager's posturing RE fees; they'd take anything around 500k.

All this is he isn't he is sending me mad, to be honest if he doesn't want to come to us like any other Billy Big Balls then he is not fit for purpose to wear the shirt, I want a team of Adomahs's Carey's Stead's etc not some money grabbing agent's toy that has no passion for the club, that is what is wrong with football, stuff 'em!!

Nothing wrong with him considering where is best for him, and nothing to say once he chooses where he's going he won't be 100% committed whether its us or whoever else.

All this is he isn't he is sending me mad, to be honest if he doesn't want to come to us like any other Billy Big Balls then he is not fit for purpose to wear the shirt, I want a team of Adomahs's Carey's Stead's etc not some money grabbing agent's toy that has no passion for the club, that is what is wrong with football, stuff 'em!!

Well if that is the case TMOF, then we better only sign Bristol City Fans. Footballer have a passion for two things, furthering theri careers by getting to the highest level possible and money. I cannot see many player coming to City because they have a passion to play for bristol city. I would be very happy with someone with a passion to play at the highest level possible, we may have them for 1 maybe 2 seasons, but at least they will be playing well, hopefully driving the team forward.

Baldock, if he has c a choice of 2 clubs, both of which are similar in size and support, but one is just down the road from where he lives, and will be on a high after promotion... Well it would seem there is only one choice. That is not a slight against Bristol City, that is a wise career choice.

After all even Mr Bristol left us, because we were not willing to pay the local lads the same money as players bought in. So why should the players shown passion when the club doesn't even support the players who actually show passion to the club, i.e. the local lads who support us!

Didnt Chris Powell say that he had not bid for Baldock ?

from yesterday:August 5, 2012 Charlton Athletic boss Chris Powell says the club have not made an offer for West Ham striker Sam Baldock.The Championship club have been linked with a move for the £1.5million forward, who is deemed surplus to requirements at Upton Park, but Powell insists he has not made an offer.Baldock, 23, is reportedly on the verge of signing for Bristol City and when asked whether Charlton would step in at the eleventh hour and snap him up, Powell said: "I don't know. He is not a player we've bid for."He is a sought after player, he is a goal scorer."Every team wants those but at the moment I have no news on any sort of imminent bid for him."

Didnt Chris Powell say that he had not bid for Baldock ?

Was thinking the same.

I'm a keen twitter user, but unless something is coming DIRECTLY from source (i.e. an official club account or Baldock himself) nothing, and I really mean nothing, can be taken as 'fact' or even 'likely'.

We've gone from being the only valid bidders, to his inevitable destination, to second choice to Charlton and all in about 72 hours.

Let's just wait and see.

Moose from talksport just tweeted

West Ham striker Sam Baldock is expected to sign for Bristol City this week

WestHamTransfers@westhamtransfer

West Ham striker Sam Baldock is expected to sign for Bristol City this week. (Via @Moose_talkSPORT) #coyi

Well, we know that isn't true - someone else on Twitter has already confirmed that he is off to Sign for Charlton.

Are you suggesting that people on Twitter don't actually have a clue what is going on and are making it as they go along....?!

Well, we know that isn't true - someone else on Twitter has already confirmed that he is off to Sign for Charlton.

Are you suggesting that people on Twitter don't actually have a clue what is going on and are making it as they go along....?!

Out of the two rumours i would believe Mooses more as a couple of ex Hammers players work for Talksport so they should be ITK

They of course don't have to be City fans, but they do need to show some passion for the club and the fans that pay their wages, and that is the difference between a lot of players, all to often players don't show any passion at all for the club, and we should know. I suspect Del puts a players character as a an all important detail when it comes to weighing up a player, had enough of journeymen, so I stand by what I said TRL... it is doable.

It is doable to an extent. But it needs the investment and a real show of strength from the Board and staff to show we are hell bent on getting to the prem.

This is not coming across from the club, so why should players show passion when the club doesn't. Just my opinion of course. You need everything galvanised. At this moment in time, all we see is Del doing an effective job (even though it seems his hands are somewhat being tied behind his back with transfer fees). The rest of the club, well, it seems to be going backwards, there seems apathy from the club concerning the stadium, there are redundancies being made. From the outside, it doesn't seem to be the most passionate place to be at the moment.

We used to get raising speeches from the like of Davidson and Lansdown, something to raise spirits for fans and prospective signings. What we get now are suits (who maybe very good at their jobs) but little charisma, nothing to get behind,in fact, now Sexton has gone, what have we even been told about the progression or the aims of this club from the people who run the club? it seems all we see now is Dave L, who does a good job. It doesn't look like a progressive club from a supporters view, so god knows what it looks like from a prospective players view.

I am guessing Del is a very good salesman :)

Quotes from McInnes in the Post today saying that we are no closer to any signings than we were before the weekend.

Well, unless someone has actually picked up a pen and signed, which it's pretty obvious they haven't, yet! Of course we arent any closer than we were last week.

Another non-entity, bull shit piece of journalism from that joke of a paper!

Ian 'Moose' Abrahams is the biggest moron going, search for his tweet about David Moyes talking to Spurs and being threatened with legal action by Everton - hilarious.

Just makes up random rumours with no evidence at all

Out of the two rumours i would believe Mooses more as a couple of ex Hammers players work for Talksport so they should be ITK

I would favour believing neither and wait until I hear from someone that does actually know what is happening!

99% of twitter users, followers, etc know precisely nothing and just like to appear as though they do.

Ian 'Moose' Abrahams is the biggest moron going, search for his tweet about David Moyes talking to Spurs and being threatened with legal action by Everton - hilarious.

That is funny. That sounded like one quick change of heart.

Spot on. After we sacked Millen he named about 5 different people that were 'set to be announced as Bristol City's new manager'.

I've also noticed that he posts endless rumours about players West Ham are going to sign and I don't think one of them has happened yet so you could hardly come to the conclusion that he is 'in the know' as to events at Upton Park.

So all the last dozen or so posts have proved is that some people on twitter think Baldock's coming here, some people on twitter think Baldock's going to Charlton and no one on Twitter knows anything whatsoever about where Sam Baldock is off to!!! :)

No, I most certainly don't believe twitter! According to some on there, it was a done deal with us last week!

My gut instinct is that he will opt for Charlton because of his preference for stating in the South East, But I will not take anything from twitter as fact. Let's wait for an official announcement!

I for one would be terribly dissapointed if he choose Charlton over us. All the hype then flat back on yer arse.

He is a cracking player and exactly what we want tbh

Guest Mr Wendall

You cant label everyone on twitter not "know nothings", obviously Moose just makes things up and a lot of the people with ITK's in the names are kids making stuff up - but if you follow people that know their stuff about specific clubs it really is a great source of information.

So all the last dozen or so posts have proved is that some people on twitter think Baldock's coming here, some people on twitter think Baldock's going to Charlton and no one on Twitter knows anything whatsoever about where Sam Baldock is off to!!! :)

Well said that man, you are officially NTTDS' apprentice. ;)

4thOfficial, 12thMan, FootieAgent123456789, FootieNews, theTransferlad etc, etc, the list goes on, they know completely **** ALL!!!.

99.999999999% of Tw @ tter is complete shite.

BCAGFC

Well said that man, you are officially NTTDS' apprentice. ;)

4thOfficial, 12thMan, FootieAgent123456789, FootieNews, theTransferlad etc, etc, the list goes on, they know completely **** ALL!!!.

99.999999999% of Tw @ tter is complete shite.

BCAGFC

Fourth Official is actually reliable a large majority of the time. All the rest are rubbish though, hence why they usually only have around 1000 followers to Fourth Official's 50,000.

Guest Mr Wendall

It just about choosing who to follow - but hey lets not believe anything anyone says and not discuss it until the club announce it - that'll make an interesting forum.

Fourth Official is actually reliable a large majority of the time. All the rest are rubbish though, hence why they usually only have around 1000 followers to Fourth Official's 50,000.

Got the Maynard to Leicester one SERIOUSLY wrong, he hasn't got a clue unless it is Everton related.

BCAGFC

Leicester did have a bid acceptted though :)

He said that he was certain that Maynard was going to Leicester, even quoted someone within the Leicester set up that he would sign the next day.....................and where did he end up?.

He knew **** ALL.

BCAGFC

You cant label everyone on twitter not "know nothings", obviously Moose just makes things up and a lot of the people with ITK's in the names are kids making stuff up - but if you follow people that know their stuff about specific clubs it really is a great source of information.

I don't think I did, did I....?!

It's a pity we need to be involved in bidding wars over mediocre players wastly overpaid. Short term it's probably not much to do other than that club owners start to talk to each other. It's nothing but pure stupidity as it stands. In 10 years time I look forward to a scouting worth it's name and an academy to be proud of.

What makes you think we are in a bidding war ? It may be the opposite and we have made our offer to WHU & Baldock and refuse to increase either.

What makes you think we are in a bidding war ? It may be the opposite and we have made our offer to WHU & Baldock and refuse to increase either.

He may have been talking about Gerrard and Keogh

With Leicester over Gerrard a pretty certain one

You've literally no evidence to support that.

I could equally claim that I'm 'certain' Gerrard hates the West Country, which is why he's more likely to go to the midlands.

If I was being a prat I'd suggest you're either fishing or saying stuff to prove your 'We are too poor to compete' argument.

He may have been talking about Gerrard and Keogh

Possibly , but we didn't get into a bidding war for Keogh. We made an offer that we thought was right and refused to go higer than our valuation.

Possibly , but we didn't get into a bidding war for Keogh. We made an offer that we thought was right and refused to go higer than our valuation.

Yep, we didn't entertain the selling clubs. makes you wonder how many targets we may miss out on though, if we are unwilling to budge when others get involved.

Seems like the free transfers are easier to get judging by our reluctance to budge on our own valuations

What are you asking for. A written statement from clubs involved?

No; for you to stop speculating and claiming it to be fact.

The clubs, quite rightly, have said nothing. You're just using the professional silence to be a malcontent.

If Gerrard signed tomorrow for £2 million because we outbid the Foxes would you be happy? Complaining because the club are being sensible with money, especially in an era where clubs like Pompey are falling apart due to crazy spending, is frankly ridiculous. We've had a productive summer so far with plenty of time to go; your complaining says more about your attitude than the state of the club, and stop pretending otherwise

It's a pity we need to be involved in bidding wars over mediocre players wastly overpaid. Short term it's probably not much to do other than that club owners start to talk to each other. It's nothing but pure stupidity as it stands. In 10 years time I look forward to a scouting worth it's name and an academy to be proud of.

he's off again.

It has been said Leicester topped their bid to £400,000. Sadly enough we are desperate for a central defender. We can't scout an upcoming player and our academy will start to produce first in ten years time. What can we do?

Plenty sign a free agent make a bid for a player from another team,

City will have a valuation of a player and quite rightly won't budge on that. There are more then 1 right sided CB playing football these days

Yep, we didn't entertain the selling clubs. makes you wonder how many targets we may miss out on though, if we are unwilling to budge when others get involved.

Seems like the free transfers are easier to get judging by our reluctance to budge on our own valuations

If the reported 800k Derby paid for Keogh is true, then I'm glad we stuck by our valuation; that is far, far above what he is worth based on what I've seen over the course of his career.

Derby overpaid, I'm glad we didn't.

I think it's refreshing to have a manager who won't be held to ransom and pay over the odds for a player. I think most of us would have been shocked if we'd paid 800K for Keogh.

I think it's refreshing to have a manager who won't be held to ransom and pay over the odds for a player. I think most of us would have been shocked if we'd paid 800K for Keogh.

Yes, I think it is too much, but he is worth what someone is willing to pay. If our valuations are going to be consistently lower than others, which seems to be the case at the moment Dell won't be getting his first or 2nd choice, which would lead me to suggest, is it Del's decision to pull out or the board? Could end up with no CB come the start of the season, if this stance continues.

I dunno, could be good, could be bad. but saying that £800,000 for a teams player of the year, for the past two years, in fac player of the year for the past 3 years at two different clubs isn't really that much for someone in their mid 20's. I think we are making the mistake of Judging Keogh on the player we let go, not the player he has become.

Managers have been quoted. Obviously not enough for a forum. Great debate.

You don't get the point I'm making, or are wilfully ignoring it.

You said we're doomed to failure because we are unwilling to engage in bidding wars for players, sighting Gerrard as an example.

I'm saying this is not a bad thing, and in fact am pleased that our management are taking the approach they are.

After making an assessment of each player's relative value to our team they are bidding what they are worth to us. If someone is willing to pay more, then we are not going to compete by upping our bid. This is prudent and isn't a sign of decline.

And for those people saying 'but Del is only getting his 3rd/4th choices' I don't agree. It is all relative. They'll be budgeting for different positions depending on our strengths. They'll have assessed that we need a new centre back, but that it is only worth investing X amount in, because more than than would impact on recruitment elsewhere.

Had we spent 800k on Keogh, but nothing on Cunningham or Baldock/new striker, we'd be unbalanced and they'd have failed. The current management team is impressing me in their approach, certainly compared to the last few managers.

Bikey isn't on any money at the moment, and might find his big money career drying up pretty damn quickly! So may have to lower his demands, that Said, I'm not entirely sure I would want him here anyway, he is prone to losing it, and messing up badly. We saw the very best of him in his time here, unfortunately, as many fans of the clubs he has been at, now exactly how reliable he is over a longer period. So for me a Big thank you, for helping keep us up, but no thanks

I agree with Taylor, I really do not see Gerrard as better than anything we already have, and he has led a bit of a nomadic existence and has never really impressed that much.

As you have said, what is out there?! Well who knows, because it seems we cannot compete, or do not want to compete in the transfer market when it comes to bidding with other clubs. That would surely narrow down our choice of centre backs! So I personally would not even like to guess, if we are going in with 200k bids for our first and second choice centre backs that my show us exactly what we have to spend on a centre back! 200k is not gonna get you much in this day and age.

Yeah agree TRL. Not overly keen on Bikey but would have him over Gerrard. As I have stated though would of course be happy to be proved wrong, and I am sure Del knows an awful lot more than I do but I just don't think he is better than what we have that's all.

But then there is also the very good argument of who else is out there? We obviously lost out on Keogh and there are not many decent centre halfs out there that is for sure. I would also hope we have other irons in the fire and aren't just hoping we can pull off the Gerrard signing.

Well someone on twitter said Cunningham to us two weeks before anyone & a week before it happened, so sometimes there the truth is out there...

And they got that from a Man City forum, so no great scoop there i'm afraid.

BCAGFC

Archived