IGNORED

Buzsaky / Baldock (+ A Little Bit Of Gerrard) .... Merged

Brizzle Jordan

I don't rate Gerrard. I don't rate Keogh (as said wastly overpaid players). But we NEED a central defender and got no other option than to beat other teams in wasting money as things stand

Utter rubbish. We have plenty of 'other options'; sign a free agent, loan players (remember Caulker; Rubbish wasn't he..?) or buy no one and use one of the four senior players we already have to cover centre back.

Not ideal perhaps, but if we choose to follow one of these paths rather than pay stupid money for players not worth it, then so be it. We won't have our league status revoked or start every game with a -5 goal head start.

It is absurd to start pushing the panic button just because we're not burning money up that we don't have to spend.

Yeah agree TRL. Not overly keen on Bikey but would have him over Gerrard. As I have stated though would of course be happy to be proved wrong, and I am sure Del knows an awful lot more than I do but I just don't think he is better than what we have that's all.

But then there is also the very good argument of who else is out there? We obviously lost out on Keogh and there are not many decent centre halfs out there that is for sure. I would also hope we have other irons in the fire and aren't just hoping we can pull off the Gerrard signing.

I have been doing a bit of digging on Gerrard, he has, like Keogh, been player of the the season fro two previous seasons! So I am guessing my judgment of him might not be so good, but I have probably seen him about 10 times and only impressed once. I guess he can't be as bad as both you and me think!

I don't rate Gerrard. I don't rate Keogh (as said wastly overpaid players). But we NEED a central defender and got no other option than to beat other teams in wasting money as things stand

Tommy , the other day you wanted to pay Heaton 20K per year (or something equally ridiculous) now you want us to beat other teams by outbidding them ?? You do realise Derby paid 800K and are paying him £12K per Week ?

I have been doing a bit of digging on Gerrard, he has, like Keogh, been player of the the season fro two previous seasons! So I am guessing my judgment of him might not be so good, but I have probably seen him about 10 times and only impressed once. I guess he can't be as bad as both you and me think!

Interesting! I did not realise that!

I know it doesn't all of a sudden make him a great player but that's certainly more encouraging. If we sign him then fair enough, but like you every time I have seen him I have been very disappointed. Who knows though, IF we sign him Del might be able to take him on another level and improve him. After all he is only 26, so is yet to hit his prime. Might not be as bad as we think!

****-ter latest

FootieNews2012

@FootieNews20121

Sam Baldock has agreed to sign for Charlton after turning down a move to Bristol City #BCFC#CAFC#WHUFC

Phil Martin@Phillippo84

@Moose_talkSPORT As a friend of Sam baldock... He has spoken and said he turned down bristol city! God I hope he stays!

Good spot Arn, but to be fair the guy could be anyone!

Plenty of other sources 'twitting' saying he'll sign for us.

Interesting! I did not realise that!

I know it doesn't all of a sudden make him a great player but that's certainly more encouraging. If we sign him then fair enough, but like you every time I have seen him I have been very disappointed. Who knows though, IF we sign him Del might be able to take him on another level and improve him. After all he is only 26, so is yet to hit his prime. Might not be as bad as we think!

Well I have just just double checked the facts given to me, and they don't appear correct, i have just had a quick look around and found out he was Player of the season for Walsall in 2007 and for Hull on loan in 2011. Seems he was in and out of the team and getting loaned out a bit while at Cardiff according to the resident Cardiff fan at work!

We are desperate for a central defender but not a "third" keeper. I'm exaggerating a bit but this is pub banter :)

We're not that desperate that we should pay close to £1M for someone plus 600K per year in wages , unless they are a major improvement on what we already have , Keogh is not that , IMO.

We can not start next season with the same players that let in three goals per games for fun last season (Cunningham the exeption)

We can and might. Or are you implying we'll immediately be relegated if we fail to sign a centre back, even though we have 4 professional who can play there in the squad?

This sort of extremist/alarmist approach to issues like this is what wrecks the forum IMHO.

Done with this nonsense.

We can not start next season with the same players that let in three goals per games for fun last season (Cunningham the exeption)

Ithink everyone has perfectly valid points. I will be interested to see Who McInnes eventually signs.

As I said on a previous post; I think we are starting to leave it late to get a decent centre back. He will not have trained and got used to our system, so a good preseason, could blow up in our faces when a new face appears in our backline. This out of all our signings, if at all possible should be the one that should have been tied down early.

+1

No amount of coaching can cure our central defensive problems.....they all need a dominating leader beside them.

Fully expect to concede 3 at Florist in the opening game unless we sign someone......just got to hope we can score 4.

BCAGFC

See my post....it can

It can't, that has been proved over the last 3 seasons.

Carey, Fontaine, Wilson & Nyatanga are all EXTREMELY susceptable to poor positioning/concentration/determination/desire to win the ball in the air, they all need a leader to tell them what to do.

Amougou more or less held our defence together last season and unless we sign a player of his calibre, we will struggle defensively again.

BCAGFC

Well I have just just double checked the facts given to me, and they don't appear correct, i have just had a quick look around and found out he was Player of the season for Walsall in 2007 and for Hull on loan in 2011. Seems he was in and out of the team and getting loaned out a bit while at Cardiff according to the resident Cardiff fan at work!

In that case then, I hope we dont sign him after all :laughcont:

City should be looking at Eddie Oshodi at Forest Green for a Centre Back. IMHO he's as good a defender as I've ever seen at FGR and that includes Leon Cort and Adam Lockwood who went on to play in the Premier League/Championship.

Milwall were rumoured to be after him earlier in the summer.

City should be looking at Eddie Oshodi at Forest Green for a Centre Back. IMHO he's as good a defender as I've ever seen at FGR and that includes Leon Cort and Adam Lockwood who went on to play in the Premier League/Championship.

Milwall were rumoured to be after him earlier in the summer.

There are gems in the lower divisions, Alex Baptiste at Blackpool is a perfect example of this, pretty sure they got him from Mansfield.

BCAGFC

This from a bloke who has been banging on about signing cheap lower league players all close season!

Unbelivable Jeff!

Guest Ricardo 'Livi' Red

There are gems in the lower divisions, Alex Baptiste at Blackpool is a perfect example of this, pretty sure they got him from Mansfield.

BCAGFC

Agree there are some potentially good signings from lower divisions..

But Del has stated that he is looking to recruit from Champ/Prem quality players..

Carey is 35 (despite the post repeatedly saying he's 34) however WIlson is 23 now, so how long can we keep calling him "raw"?

We do need another CB but still have 5 on our books so we will need to work with what we have if we cannot attract one worth signing.

so we value quality championship players ( keogh, gerrarrd) at 200k, Thats a shocking bid were not in leauge 2! are bids are insults to club and player! we spend big money on fodder then quality players become available and we wont go over 2000k rediculous!!

Who has Del signed for big money that you class as fodder ?

Probably not aimed at Del. Styvar springs to mind.

That was 3 years ago , times have changed with the new FFP regs. It's because of the all the money wasted on Styvar , Clarkson , JCR etc. that we need to be more prudent now. I'm glad Del's not panicking and paying over the odds , he'll have a budget to work to and needs to get in more than a CB.

Guest Hackney Wurzel

Am I the only person who believes James Wilson can step up to the plate this year. I think as long as he can stay fit, him and Fontaine can become a very strong partnership. Personally I would much rather see him trusted and given a chance rather then throw money at fairly average championship players such as Gerrard, who would be demanding a salary that dwarfs his actual ability.

great 200K TO BUILD A SQUAD :/

We apparently have an offer of £1.5M in for Baldock , so it's clearly more than 200K !! Also we dont need a squad , we need 2 or 3 players , but I' sure you know that.

Am I the only person who believes James Wilson can step up to the plate this year. I think as long as he can stay fit, him and Fontaine can become a very strong partnership. Personally I would much rather see him trusted and given a chance rather then throw money at fairly average championship players such as Gerrard, who would be demanding a salary that dwarfs his actual ability.

Agree completely. He just needs a run in the team.

Couple of mistakes last season i.e. Middlesboro at home but he is good enough IMO.

I will go along with that comment

He looked big and strong at the back Saturday but of course it was only against a stupidly poor side in Rovers

Reckon he could though

We apparently have an offer of £1.5M in for Baldock , so it's clearly more than 200K !! Also we dont need a squad , we need 2 or 3 players , but I' sure you know that.

Well if reports are to be believed, it is 250k-500k minus what is owed for Maynard. Makes you wonder why a swap deal wasn't done or attempted at the time!

ok own up who wrote the smart reply taken from buullshite rumours site.

06 Aug 2012 13:59:47

Bristol City will sign Bradley Wright-Phillips from Charlton in a deal worth 1.75m. Charlton are set to sign City target Sam Baldock after he failed to agree terms.

(3)

(5)

Sam Baldock at press conference at Ashton Gate 11.30 Wednesday morning.

Wilson is a promising player and need to be given the chance beside a leader who can teach him the game. Not a fading player more than happy to blame him for his own shortcomings.

He needs to learn how to pass first.

Well if reports are to be believed, it is 250k-500k minus what is owed for Maynard. Makes you wonder why a swap deal wasn't done or attempted at the time!

WHU owe us £1M ,if Baldock signs we wont get that so the bid is £1M + . I can only imagine we didn't attempt swap due to his injury.

Guest Hackney Wurzel

Agree completely. He just needs a run in the team.

Couple of mistakes last season i.e. Middlesboro at home but he is good enough IMO.

Glad I'm not the only one! The boy is 6ft 3, has decent pace and is fairly comfortable on the ball. If he can claim a place in the starting line-up at Forest I think his confidence will really grow. I also agree that playing with a good communicator/leader like Morris and possibly Mark Wilson will see his game really develop.

Wilson is a promising player and need to be given the chance beside a leader who can teach him the game. Not a fading player more than happy to blame him for his own shortcomings.

Wilson is 23, so is tango. Wilson is welsh so is tango. Wilson hasn't played for his national team tango has. Wilson hasn't played Premier League football, tango has, Wilson has played very few games through injury and or lack of experience, tango has played over 200 games. Both are prone to mistakes, both can have outstanding games.

Take all that in to consideration, I'd know which I would rather have on the books.

Wilson will be given the chance when 80 years old.

We already know Nyatanga is not good enough.

They are as good as one another. If you want to save some squad space, get rid of the sick note, or dump them both.

Wilson is 23, so is tango. Wilson is welsh so is tango. Wilson hasn't played for his national team tango has. Wilson hasn't played Premier League football, tango has, Wilson has played very few games through injury and or lack of experience, tango has played over 200 games. Both are prone to mistakes, both can have outstanding games.

Take all that in to consideration, I'd know which I would rather have on the books.

Or you can look at it the other way, Nyatanga has played 200 games and is still looks no better than Wilson. He has played 200 games and still shats himself whenever he gets the ball!!

I should imagine he also takes up a much larger chunk of the wage bill.

Or you can look at it the other way, Nyatanga has played 200 games and is still no better than Wilson. He has played 200 games and still shats himself whenever he gets the ball!!

I kind of agree, hence my 2nd reply. There is no real argument there. Wilson should go, Fontaine, well probably go as well. If he could concentrate for 90 minutes he would be a useful defender, but has proved time and time again he can't. I will say is a much better centre back than a left back.

I kind of agree, hence my 2nd reply.

It's a Shame Wilson hasn't progressed as much as we'd like (As you mention, fitness has been a problem). This is probably his last chance with us, be a shame to see him go the same way as Ribiero. Both looked to have what was required to make it.

Or you can look at it the other way, Nyatanga has played 200 games and is still looks no better than Wilson. He has played 200 games and still shats himself whenever he gets the ball!!

Are you crazy? Nyatanga is far better than Wilson. I would have Tangs over Wilson any day, and so would any manager that has these 2 players on the books.

Are you crazy? Nyatanga is far better than Wilson. I would have Tangs over Wilson any day, and so would any manager that has these 2 players on the books.

Not at all, for me he has been largely disappointing. He had the odd decent game last season but that's a bout it!!

Only going On the highlights but he looked dreadful up in Scotland.

Guest Scoliver92

wilson maby 23 but he has very!! little experience ! that and he is very injury prone, and 36 or 35 we cant rely on carey turning out for us all next season and nyatangs positional awareness is shocking we might aswell blind fold him that and he dont work for the team and he turns like a boat and got the pace of a snell!

Thank god we've got Del in charge and not you.

Just to add to this Wilson fit or not, The ACL tear in a match and a broken ahkle in training hardly make him a sicknote ala Ribs. As said the only way he will get experience is if we continue to play him at this level. May not be to some peoples tastes but there you go.

I agree - for once :-) and when I say go the same way as Ribeiro, I meant the way he showed so much promise but never really fulfilled it and ended up leaving the club without us really seeing his best.

I would love to see Wilson succeed.

BCAGFC

I have been saying this for sometime and cannot understand why we do not explore this avenue as well as the ones currently being tried for new players. The current method is proving difficult and to some extent is failing as still we have no centre half or striker and we have only 12 days to the first league game. If we get a defender in he will hardly have time to meet the players.

Not at all, for me he has been largely disappointing. He had the odd decent game last season but that's a bout it!!

Only going On the highlights but he looked dreadful up in Scotland.

Fair enough mate. I always thought he looked good last season and he's always seemed better in the air than Wilson.

I'll admit haven't seen any of the highlights from the Scotland tour so you'd be a better judge at this stage. I hope it's just his fitness and that he gets a look in the team and improves this season.

Looks like i was right, We aint getting any off them!!

If we are ever to get out of this league we need to break the bank/take risks, something SL has no intention of doing....

what?! until either player puts pen to paper at another club or states he wont join us we are still in for all 3...

If we are ever to get out of this league we need to break the bank/take risks, something SL has no intention of doing....

take risks, yes that makes a lot of sense.

Guest Mr Wendall

Break the bank? Really? In a world off FFP and losing 11 million a year why would any club "break the bank"?

Guest sbred

Break the bank? Really? In a world off FFP and losing 11 million a year why would any club "break the bank"?

To get to the wonderful premier league, where all our dreams will come true.

City have had an initial bid of around £200,000 rejected and, although they could still table an improved offer, they may already be too late.

Reports emerging from south Wales last night suggested the Bluebirds have accepted a bid of around £400,000 for Gerrard from the Foxes, who are desperate to find a replacement for injured skipper Sean St Ledger before the season kicks off next week.

Although Cardiff value Gerrard at £500,000, manager Malky Mackay, pictured, is eager to sell the former Walsall centre-half, whois surplus to requirements at the Cardiff City Stadium after falling behind Ben Turner, Mark Hudson and Darcy Blake in the pecking order.

Leicester had an initial bid of around £200,000 rejected but came in with an improved offer after St Ledger damaged knee ligaments during a pre-season friendly against Burton Albion. The Republic of Ireland defender will be sidelined for between six to eight weeks.

Gerrard held talks with Leicester officials at the King Power Stadium yesterday and is close to agreeing personal terms with Leicester boss Nigel Pearson. The pair already know one another well, Gerrard having spent a successful season on loan at Hull when Pearson was manager at the KC Stadium.

Meanwhile, McInnes is preparing to switch his search elsewhere. Although he already has Liam Fontaine, Lewin Nyatanga, Louis Carey and James Wilson at his disposal, the Scot wants a dominant right-sided centre-back to provide additional aerial power.

City had an undisclosed bid for Keogh turned down in June, since when McInnes has been working his way through a list of alternative targets.

With just seven days to go until City play Gillingham in the first round of the League Cup, Robins directors Keith Dawe and Jon Lansdown must now decide whether to test Cardiff's resolve with a last-ditch bid or concentrate on alternative targets.

Out of the three this would be the deal i wouldnt worry about to much. Although we do need another cetre back i would never had made it prioroty certainly knowing we can almost get a decent one in on loan.

The other two i would love to have on board

I genuinely don't give a fig whether we sign Gerrard; he's good in the air but no better across the ground than what we already have from what I've seen. I genuinely think our best option is to take a risk on waiting to see who misses out on Premier League squads. We might not get them until end of August but we'll end up with a quality player

I genuinely don't give a fig whether we sign Gerrard; he's good in the air but no better across the ground than what we already have from what I've seen. I genuinely think our best option is to take a risk on waiting to see who misses out on Premier League squads. We might not get them until end of August but we'll end up with a quality player

Never done this before, but...

'+1'

That didn't feel too bad after all.

I hope you're right. I'm not one to panic, but time really is starting to run out now. I don't want all of this "they're trying to settle in" rubbish. It looks to me from the outside we're not getting the players that Del wanted at the top of the list, so we need to hit plan b asap. Didn't Del want most of his players in for the start of pre-season training?

Guest Hydey

How about Scott Wootton on loan from Man United? - He's a centre back, I've seen a few of United's tour games on MUTV and he played the 1st 3 games. He looked solid at the back, decent in the air. He spent time on loan at Peterborough and Forest last season. Marnick Vermijl and Frederick Veseli were also decent but played full back, which we dont really need.

To get to the wonderful premier league, where all our dreams will come true.

;)

What the premier league that everybody hates , with their greedy players , plastic fans and soul less stadiums !!!

It makes me laugh this forum , on the one hand The Post is full of shit yet people are quick to use their reports as a stick to beat the club with.

The club should do more to leave within their means and reduce the debts and wage bill , yet should break the bank to sign players !

UNREAL

The guy is putting up something like £90m of his own money to fund the new stadium, the building of which is pretty central to the club's future, given the new FFP rules. If that isn't breaking the bank and taking a risk then I don't know what is. Also, haven't we put in a bid of £1.5m or so for Baldock, which seems pretty good money to me.

We've had a few seasons where sucessive managers have paid well over the odds for players both in transfer fees and more importantly big wages and it's cost us dear in more ways than one. The new financial rules will affect us and every other club and SL is making sure we will comply, hence getting rid of overpaid deadwood over the summer. We need to buy players who represent good value for money and perhaps McInnes knows better than all of us what a player is really worth, both in £££s and in terms of what they would add to his team. On that basis , perhaps he feels that Gerrard is worth no more than £200,000 and can get better value elsewhere.

The guy is putting up something like £90m of his own money to fund the new stadium, the building of which is pretty central to the club's future, given the new FFP rules. If that isn't breaking the bank and taking a risk then I don't know what is. Also, haven't we put in a bid of £1.5m or so for Baldock, which seems pretty good money to me.

We've had a few seasons where sucessive managers have paid well over the odds for players both in transfer fees and more importantly big wages and it's cost us dear in more ways than one. The new financial rules will affect us and every other club and SL is making sure we will comply, hence getting rid of overpaid deadwood over the summer. We need to buy players who represent good value for money and perhaps McInnes knows better than all of us what a player is really worth, both in £££s and in terms of what they would add to his team. On that basis , perhaps he feels that Gerrard is worth no more than £200,000 and can get better value elsewhere.

The point you are missing here is that Lansdown isn't risking anything building a new stadium, because a stadium is bricks and mortar which will maintain its value.

Lansdown has never bought us any players he loans us the cash!

The point you are missing here is that Lansdown isn't risking anything building a new stadium,

because a stadium is bricks and mortar which will maintain its value.

Lansdown has never bought us any players he loans us the cash!

No wonder your user name is Mad, dear oh dear, you think he'll see that money again, do you?

Archived