IGNORED

Buzsaky / Baldock (+ A Little Bit Of Gerrard) .... Merged

Brizzle Jordan

It's a pity we need to be involved in bidding wars over mediocre players wastly overpaid. Short term it's probably not much to do other than that club owners start to talk to each other. It's nothing but pure stupidity as it stands. In 10 years time I look forward to a scouting worth it's name and an academy to be proud of.

It's a pity we need to be involved in bidding wars over mediocre players wastly overpaid. Short term it's probably not much to do other than that club owners start to talk to each other. It's nothing but pure stupidity as it stands. In 10 years time I look forward to a scouting worth it's name and an academy to be proud of.

Are you feeling better today ?

What makes you think we are in a bidding war ? It may be the opposite and we have made our offer to WHU & Baldock and refuse to increase either.

With Leicester over Gerrard a pretty certain one

You've literally no evidence to support that.

I could equally claim that I'm 'certain' Gerrard hates the West Country, which is why he's more likely to go to the midlands.

If I was being a prat I'd suggest you're either fishing or saying stuff to prove your 'We are too poor to compete' argument.

You've literally no evidence to support that.

I could equally claim that I'm 'certain' Gerrard hates the West Country, which is why he's more likely to go to the midlands.

If I was being a prat I'd suggest you're either fishing or saying stuff to prove your 'We are too poor to compete' argument.

What are you asking for. A written statement from clubs involved?

Possibly , but we didn't get into a bidding war for Keogh. We made an offer that we thought was right and refused to go higer than our valuation.

Yep, we didn't entertain the selling clubs. makes you wonder how many targets we may miss out on though, if we are unwilling to budge when others get involved.

Seems like the free transfers are easier to get judging by our reluctance to budge on our own valuations

What are you asking for. A written statement from clubs involved?

No; for you to stop speculating and claiming it to be fact.

The clubs, quite rightly, have said nothing. You're just using the professional silence to be a malcontent.

If Gerrard signed tomorrow for £2 million because we outbid the Foxes would you be happy? Complaining because the club are being sensible with money, especially in an era where clubs like Pompey are falling apart due to crazy spending, is frankly ridiculous. We've had a productive summer so far with plenty of time to go; your complaining says more about your attitude than the state of the club, and stop pretending otherwise

I can honestly say I don't think the club will go into a bidding war, they are spending money wisely if teams want to over bid for players like Keogh I think the club and del will move on,

It has been said Leicester topped their bid to £400,000. Sadly enough we are desperate for a central defender. We can't scout an upcoming player and our academy will start to produce first in ten years time. What can we do?

he's off again.

It has been said Leicester topped their bid to £400,000. Sadly enough we are desperate for a central defender. We can't scout an upcoming player and our academy will start to produce first in ten years time. What can we do?

Plenty sign a free agent make a bid for a player from another team,

City will have a valuation of a player and quite rightly won't budge on that. There are more then 1 right sided CB playing football these days

Yep, we didn't entertain the selling clubs. makes you wonder how many targets we may miss out on though, if we are unwilling to budge when others get involved.

Seems like the free transfers are easier to get judging by our reluctance to budge on our own valuations

If the reported 800k Derby paid for Keogh is true, then I'm glad we stuck by our valuation; that is far, far above what he is worth based on what I've seen over the course of his career.

Derby overpaid, I'm glad we didn't.

I think it's refreshing to have a manager who won't be held to ransom and pay over the odds for a player. I think most of us would have been shocked if we'd paid 800K for Keogh.

No; for you to stop speculating and claiming it to be fact.

The clubs, quite rightly, have said nothing. You're just using the professional silence to be a malcontent.

If Gerrard signed tomorrow for £2 million because we outbid the Foxes would you be happy? Complaining because the club are being sensible with money, especially in an era where clubs like Pompey are falling apart due to crazy spending, is frankly ridiculous. We've had a productive summer so far with plenty of time to go; your complaining says more about your attitude than the state of the club, and stop pretending otherwise

Managers have been quoted. Obviously not enough for a forum. Great debate.

I think it's refreshing to have a manager who won't be held to ransom and pay over the odds for a player. I think most of us would have been shocked if we'd paid 800K for Keogh.

Yes, I think it is too much, but he is worth what someone is willing to pay. If our valuations are going to be consistently lower than others, which seems to be the case at the moment Dell won't be getting his first or 2nd choice, which would lead me to suggest, is it Del's decision to pull out or the board? Could end up with no CB come the start of the season, if this stance continues.

I dunno, could be good, could be bad. but saying that £800,000 for a teams player of the year, for the past two years, in fac player of the year for the past 3 years at two different clubs isn't really that much for someone in their mid 20's. I think we are making the mistake of Judging Keogh on the player we let go, not the player he has become.

Managers have been quoted. Obviously not enough for a forum. Great debate.

You don't get the point I'm making, or are wilfully ignoring it.

You said we're doomed to failure because we are unwilling to engage in bidding wars for players, sighting Gerrard as an example.

I'm saying this is not a bad thing, and in fact am pleased that our management are taking the approach they are.

After making an assessment of each player's relative value to our team they are bidding what they are worth to us. If someone is willing to pay more, then we are not going to compete by upping our bid. This is prudent and isn't a sign of decline.

And for those people saying 'but Del is only getting his 3rd/4th choices' I don't agree. It is all relative. They'll be budgeting for different positions depending on our strengths. They'll have assessed that we need a new centre back, but that it is only worth investing X amount in, because more than than would impact on recruitment elsewhere.

Had we spent 800k on Keogh, but nothing on Cunningham or Baldock/new striker, we'd be unbalanced and they'd have failed. The current management team is impressing me in their approach, certainly compared to the last few managers.

You don't get the point I'm making, or are wilfully ignoring it.

You said we're doomed to failure because we are unwilling to engage in bidding wars for players, sighting Gerrard as an example.

I'm saying this is not a bad thing, and in fact am pleased that our management are taking the approach they are.

After making an assessment of each player's relative value to our team they are bidding what they are worth to us. If someone is willing to pay more, then we are not going to compete by upping our bid. This is prudent and isn't a sign of decline.

And for those people saying 'but Del is only getting his 3rd/4th choices' I don't agree. It is all relative. They'll be budgeting for different positions depending on our strengths. They'll have assessed that we need a new centre back, but that it is only worth investing X amount in, because more than than would impact on recruitment elsewhere.

Had we spent 800k on Keogh, but nothing on Cunningham or Baldock/new striker, we'd be unbalanced and they'd have failed. The current management team is impressing me in their approach, certainly compared to the last few managers.

I don't rate Gerrard. I don't rate Keogh (as said wastly overpaid players). But we NEED a central defender and got no other option than to beat other teams in wasting money as things stand

Bikey isn't on any money at the moment, and might find his big money career drying up pretty damn quickly! So may have to lower his demands, that Said, I'm not entirely sure I would want him here anyway, he is prone to losing it, and messing up badly. We saw the very best of him in his time here, unfortunately, as many fans of the clubs he has been at, now exactly how reliable he is over a longer period. So for me a Big thank you, for helping keep us up, but no thanks

I agree with Taylor, I really do not see Gerrard as better than anything we already have, and he has led a bit of a nomadic existence and has never really impressed that much.

As you have said, what is out there?! Well who knows, because it seems we cannot compete, or do not want to compete in the transfer market when it comes to bidding with other clubs. That would surely narrow down our choice of centre backs! So I personally would not even like to guess, if we are going in with 200k bids for our first and second choice centre backs that my show us exactly what we have to spend on a centre back! 200k is not gonna get you much in this day and age.

Yeah agree TRL. Not overly keen on Bikey but would have him over Gerrard. As I have stated though would of course be happy to be proved wrong, and I am sure Del knows an awful lot more than I do but I just don't think he is better than what we have that's all.

But then there is also the very good argument of who else is out there? We obviously lost out on Keogh and there are not many decent centre halfs out there that is for sure. I would also hope we have other irons in the fire and aren't just hoping we can pull off the Gerrard signing.

Well someone on twitter said Cunningham to us two weeks before anyone & a week before it happened, so sometimes there the truth is out there...

And they got that from a Man City forum, so no great scoop there i'm afraid.

BCAGFC

I don't rate Gerrard. I don't rate Keogh (as said wastly overpaid players). But we NEED a central defender and got no other option than to beat other teams in wasting money as things stand

Utter rubbish. We have plenty of 'other options'; sign a free agent, loan players (remember Caulker; Rubbish wasn't he..?) or buy no one and use one of the four senior players we already have to cover centre back.

Not ideal perhaps, but if we choose to follow one of these paths rather than pay stupid money for players not worth it, then so be it. We won't have our league status revoked or start every game with a -5 goal head start.

It is absurd to start pushing the panic button just because we're not burning money up that we don't have to spend.

Yeah agree TRL. Not overly keen on Bikey but would have him over Gerrard. As I have stated though would of course be happy to be proved wrong, and I am sure Del knows an awful lot more than I do but I just don't think he is better than what we have that's all.

But then there is also the very good argument of who else is out there? We obviously lost out on Keogh and there are not many decent centre halfs out there that is for sure. I would also hope we have other irons in the fire and aren't just hoping we can pull off the Gerrard signing.

I have been doing a bit of digging on Gerrard, he has, like Keogh, been player of the the season fro two previous seasons! So I am guessing my judgment of him might not be so good, but I have probably seen him about 10 times and only impressed once. I guess he can't be as bad as both you and me think!

Archived